Print Page | Close Window

Martin Atomic 3000 Fault

Printed From: Speakerplans.com
Category: Other Chat
Forum Name: Lighting Talk
Forum Description: All your lampy, laser and 'other' special FX needs....
URL: https://forum.speakerplans.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=27607
Printed Date: 29 March 2024 at 2:36pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Martin Atomic 3000 Fault
Posted By: SwenK
Subject: Martin Atomic 3000 Fault
Date Posted: 09 June 2009 at 5:06pm
Hi all

I have an Atomic 3k on a rig, doesn't repsond to dmx and flashes randomly no matter what i do with the dips,

guessing it is a dead dmx reciever board....is this a seperate part in the atomic or is there just one large insane board that does all the HT/LV and SELV?

Any info and suggested suplliers of parts would be most welcome,

cheers

s.

-------------
It's an artistic piece...but i like it

Replies:
Posted By: axeman91
Date Posted: 09 June 2009 at 6:30pm
Have you tried reversing the polarity of the DMX input?  If I remember correctly, Martin liked to phase invert all their gear from the regular convention

Date Posted: 09 June 2009 at 8:23pm
Hi
thanks, that went out several years ago,
all products since the mac 250 have been the right way round,
but good shout
s.

-------------

Posted By: illuminate
Date Posted: 10 June 2009 at 1:01am
It is all one PCB if I remember rightly. Have you checked the obvious i.e. is it getting good DMX?

-------------
Sound is analogue, get over it!

Posted By: ceharden
Date Posted: 10 June 2009 at 8:15am
I have the schematic somewhere if you need it.  It's all on one surface mount board but they're not too tricky to work on.

Date Posted: 10 June 2009 at 11:14am
Illuminate,
I haven't scoped the line, bt its mid chain and everything after it is happy, channels above and below are all happy too
, i had a suspicion it might have been reflections in the unterminated line affecting just those channels. (obviously i tried it on different channels to dis-prove this.

I have not tried it connected directly to the desk to see if the same fault persists, this is the next obvious step, i'll take down 20m of dmx cable and patch it direct.

back in there on friday, so i'll have a proper play

thanks

s.

-------------

Date Posted: 10 June 2009 at 11:28am
Ceharden, that would be awesome!

I am fully experienced in hand building smt stuff, so i could potentially just replace the knackerd ICs if i can trace them well enough.

thanks
s.

-------------

Posted By: illuminate
Date Posted: 10 June 2009 at 12:28pm
Best to try running the unit on it's own directly from the desk to see if you still get the fault. Is the DMX terminated?

-------------
Sound is analogue, get over it!

Posted By: simonp1100
Date Posted: 17 June 2009 at 3:58pm
If there is a fault on the main PCB board, i can repair it. Repaired a lot of the Martin Atomics, and have all the circuit diagrams & mods. PM if you need it looked at. Simon

Posted By: norty303
Date Posted: 17 June 2009 at 5:20pm
Do you do other Martin boards?  I've got an Ego 03 board thats been dead ages - £185 for a new board simply isn't worth it!

-------------
My laser stuff: http://www.facebook.com/SubsonicSystems" rel="nofollow - Frikkin Lasers

Date Posted: 17 June 2009 at 5:39pm
I have repaired one or two, but the main problem with them is that the board is a four layered PCB board & the usual fault is around by the SMPS voltage adjuster circuit. When the board blows, it also blows a track between the layers of the PCB (which is near impossible to repair). So that is why i have choosen not to repair any more of the ego PCB's. Sorry. I think also this is why Martin has discontinued them as well.

Posted By: Nigey-C
Date Posted: 19 June 2009 at 3:05pm
had a similar problem with an atomic in a club i used to work at...
both atomics went down with the same fault... said it was receiving DMX wen nothing was plugged into it... and wouldnt respond to anything... and one would randomly go onto blinder mode and trip things out.... sent em both back to martin and got them back 2 weeks later after they replaced the main PCB

Date Posted: 19 June 2009 at 3:40pm
I know what the fault is, send it to me & i will repair it. PM me.

Posted By: Teccon
Date Posted: 05 April 2012 at 11:19pm
Hello Swenk,
I have exact the same issue with one of my atomics,
how did you manage to solve the problem? Did you replace any ic or component?
Many thanks,
Teccon

Posted By: nklite73
Date Posted: 06 April 2012 at 4:42pm
simonp1100 can you please email me at nklite@gmail.com i have a atomic 3000 with a board fault 
i am in bristol so looking to repair it if you get back to me would be appreciate 

Date Posted: 06 April 2012 at 8:39pm
Have emailed you. 

Posted By: dmxstagetech
Date Posted: 14 May 2012 at 4:22pm
Do you have any spare 518 PCB's?

Cheers

Gary

Date Posted: 14 May 2012 at 5:09pm
No sorry. Wink

Posted By: monkeypuzzle
Date Posted: 22 May 2012 at 5:28pm
More faults... One of mine seems to trigger itsself but still responds to the desk. It's not an easily repeatable fault as it seems to happen rather randomly. All will be fine for a few hours then it'll trigger a few flashes every min or so, sometimes it'll go into blinder mode. I think its also chucking out some kind of signal as the sunstrips and led Pars next in line were triggering a little as well......

Any Ideas?

-------------
blah blah blah blah blah......

Posted By: James Tengo
Date Posted: 22 May 2012 at 6:38pm
Sunstrips are bastards for chucking spurious data back down a dmx line, are you sure it was the strobe at fault? Did you try it on a clean line direct from your buffer?

Date Posted: 22 May 2012 at 7:36pm
Check the strobe directly via your DMX desk first, i am assuming that you have terminated the last item in the DMX line with a terminator plug ??? & that the strobe is the only thing in the chain that is faulting ?????.
It sounds like one or more of your fixtures in the DMX line could be interfering with the strobe or it could be down to too much current draw on the rig & resetting the strobe (had this once & took me ages to trace it). Good luck & hope this helps Wink.

Posted By: cookiemonster60
Date Posted: 03 October 2012 at 2:58pm
Hi all following the thread. I have a Martin Atomic 3000 unit I've picked up that's dead no sign of life.

Does anyone know where I can pick up the service manual/schematic ?

Thanks
Andrew

Posted By: Nigey-C
Date Posted: 03 October 2012 at 3:05pm
check the internal fuses havent blown to start with.

http://www.martin.com/product/product.asp?product=atomic" rel="nofollow - http://www.martin.com/product/product.asp?product=atomic

Posted By: col_b
Date Posted: 03 October 2012 at 11:23pm
I can repair most atomic PCB's so if you get stuck and it's not the fuse get in touch! 

-------------
AV, Sound and Lighting and Laser Hire, Sales and Service. http://www.klsuk.com" rel="nofollow - www.klsuk.com

Posted By: cookiemonster60
Date Posted: 10 October 2012 at 11:06pm
Hi thanks for the help the fuses were duff and its now working.

Posted By: johny_mo
Date Posted: 10 February 2013 at 5:41pm
Hey, I know this is from 2008. But I just had 1 of my atomics quit working. The "flash" light is just steady when ever it has power and martin says that means the pcb board is bad. But I dont have the funds to replace it. And nothing looks burnt. although r136 doesnt look great it looks like it could be fine. So I cant tell if its bad. Have you had experience with this before?

Posted By: Portlandpro
Date Posted: 01 October 2017 at 7:03am
I could use that schematic if you still have it. I have an atomic that appears to stop functioning whenever it receives DMX, but still works on standalone mode. 

Date Posted: 01 October 2017 at 12:22pm
Check you have no problems with connections on the XLR sockets as well as any problems with the pads of the these as well on the PCB board, then check for continuity on each pin of the XLR to R103 & R104 (R103 to pin 2 on XLR & R104 to pin 3 on XLR).

Check R103 & R104 they should be 2.2 Ohms & check D102 & D103 for shorts, if these components are all fine then it maybe IC102 (SN75176B) bus transceiver chip. Clap

Posted By: nuclearbass
Date Posted: 17 January 2018 at 12:53am
An old thread but a useful one, I have a atomic 3k and the lamp seems to dim its output after a second when triggered, dims by around 70%

Any ideas guys ?

-------------
one life - have fun!
Force fusion pro audio

Posted By: monkeypuzzle
Date Posted: 17 January 2018 at 9:15pm
Have you done the usual checks of another unit with exact same settings next on same DMX line followed by swapping the lamp (after it's cooled and not touching with your fingers? Very poss a lamp issue, what colour are the ends of the tube? Also, The dips are often the first think to go so give them a wiggle and a spray clean, then..... 

There are many repair techs that just bin the boards and a few that like to work on them. If someone could cheaply create a replacement back panel and reliable electronics (push buttons not dips, LED display, separate LV and HV boards).... they could easily bring back to life hundreds of Atomics and make a few quid....

Just putting it out there..... Crowd funding.... 

-------------
blah blah blah blah blah......

Posted By: nuclearbass
Date Posted: 17 January 2018 at 11:34pm
Originally posted by monkeypuzzle monkeypuzzle wrote:

Have you done the usual checks of another unit with exact same settings next on same DMX line followed by swapping the lamp (after it's cooled and not touching with your fingers? Very poss a lamp issue, what colour are the ends of the tube? Also, The dips are often the first think to go so give them a wiggle and a spray clean, then..... 

There are many repair techs that just bin the boards and a few that like to work on them. If someone could cheaply create a replacement back panel and reliable electronics (push buttons not dips, LED display, separate LV and HV boards).... they could easily bring back to life hundreds of Atomics and make a few quid....

Just putting it out there..... Crowd funding.... 

Swapped the lamp out and same issue, the lamp had scorched ends but so does the other 5 I have lol.

I’ll give it a try with the dip switches etc, not looked at that, tried several DMX options and still have the issue 🤷‍♂️

-------------
one life - have fun!
Force fusion pro audio

Posted By: AUDIO HABIT
Date Posted: 14 November 2018 at 2:35am
they do dim when used as a blinder after a couple of seconds as they are sucking so much electrical current the greed things lol, never seen them do it when strobing though, maybe it's in low power mode, check the dip switches on the back 

-------------
https://www.facebook.com/fxstageproductions

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2023 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net