Print Page | Close Window

Stuff from the early days!!! - Roger Squires.

Printed From: Speakerplans.com
Category: Other Chat
Forum Name: Golden oldies
Forum Description: Post all historic interesting items, stories and photos here (no, not your Nan)
URL: https://forum.speakerplans.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=28079
Printed Date: 19 April 2024 at 9:45pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Stuff from the early days!!! - Roger Squires.
Posted By: colint
Subject: Stuff from the early days!!! - Roger Squires.
Date Posted: 22 June 2009 at 8:59pm
I was bored so have been looking on the net and found this stuff! oh the memories?

August stereo console

August mono console

Citronic mono popular (proper workhorse of many pubs)

Citronic Hawaii proberbly the best mobile console of the 80's

Cloud windsor

Cloud 10 used by some of the "better" mobiles

Capital disco club console I worked on one of these in a "club" in Croydon in the late 80's

Fal stereo grapic console possably the first mobile console with built in grapic (sounded sh*te)

Rodger squires mixers I had all three of these over a number of years the allen & heath was without doubt the best and well ahead of it's time, followed by the citronic sm607

Speakers from fal (futuristic aids ltd) the picture says it all really but we did go to work with this sort of stuff in them days!

please feel free to add your horror stories lol
Col.

-------------
Never criticise another man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. Once you have, call him what you like, you're a mile away and you've got his shoes!

Replies:
Posted By: The Garglebard
Date Posted: 23 June 2009 at 7:35pm
Nice pics - from the days when everything was in black and white LOL

Loving the VU meters on the Citronic SM 607. 

Posted By: djeddie
Date Posted: 23 June 2009 at 9:44pm
Fal stereo grapic console possably the first mobile console with built in grapic (sounded sh*te)

Sounded sh*te? I beg to differ. I had one of those and they sounded worse than that!!!

Some cracking memories from those pics tho'. The only downer is I've now realised exactly how old I am!

-------------
Chas n Dave : it's like Drum and Bass but with beards.             E=mc² ±3dB

Date Posted: 23 June 2009 at 10:38pm
Originally posted by The Garglebard The Garglebard wrote:

Nice pics - from the days when everything was in black and white LOL

The 607 was a real gem and to be really truthfull i only bought it for the meters lol the sound quality came later and it was a great bit of kit at the time, I later modified it with a citronic sm450 (another great mixer) crossfade! 

edit spelling sorry!

-------------
Never criticise another man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. Once you have, call him what you like, you're a mile away and you've got his shoes!

Date Posted: 23 June 2009 at 10:48pm
Originally posted by djeddie djeddie wrote:

Sounded sh*te? I beg to differ. I had one of those and they sounded worse than that!!!

Some cracking memories from those pics tho'. The only downer is I've now realised exactly how old I am!

Ditto! real sad thing is I can go further back than that too, although I don't have the pictures

How about ICE electrics amp's mixers & consuls or tk discosound
and not for getting from the 80's the amasing glitter system from disco supplies at chadwell heath, essex
it's quite frightning that Dj's went out and earned a living with this stuff with these 100watt amps?
also ayone remember the Citronic system 80 ( large metal framed deck with componant equipment)
and the citronic CS rack

-------------

Posted By: jbl_man
Date Posted: 24 June 2009 at 1:26pm
Discotastic Colin!

Epping forest country club had one of those Allen and heath production mixers with a pair of QRK turntables in the late 70`s..it lasted up till about 1981 when it was replaced with a Supernova and 2x sl1200...the Allen and heath was sonically very good,but the lettering/etching on the front panel would flake off really easily...it was almost bare when they changed it for the Matamp.

From my colection of disco antiques downstairs....
I have a couple of these Citronic consoles..its the "powered" Avon..essentially a Hawaii but with built in 2x150w amplifiers..this is a later mk4 with the improved turntables and pitch controls.

Another DJ console Roger squires used to stock was "Soundout",a futuristic looking thing with red fins at each end.

-------------
Be seeing you.

Posted By: Robbo
Date Posted: 24 June 2009 at 2:54pm
The Soundout disco consoles with the red finned heatsinks were crap Ian both in sound qualityand reliability-----We used to sell them in our shops and I think that every one of them came back faulty.
Soundout also brought out a range of guitar and bass amps around that time--again with the red finned heatsinks under the name "Frunt"---These used to go bang on a regular basis as well.

Date Posted: 24 June 2009 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by Robbo Robbo wrote:

The Soundout disco consoles with the red finned heatsinks were crap Ian both in sound qualityand reliability-----We used to sell them in our shops and I think that every one of them came back faulty.
Soundout also brought out a range of guitar and bass amps around that time--again with the red finned heatsinks under the name "Frunt"---These used to go bang on a regular basis as well.

Agree with you on the soundout deck Robbo we had untold trouble with them too had problems with the soundout clubmaster mixer to remember that one it was blue with led meters in an arc at the top looked great in between apair of 1200's though

I wonder how many of the early citronic hawaii/avon type console's are still about I know of 1 Dj that still uses the one I sold him about 20 years ago

-------------

Date Posted: 24 June 2009 at 4:16pm
Oh groovy,here we go.....sit back and enjoy..Roger Squires disco catalogue circa about 1977.

Sorry about the long post,but i think you will agree,its worth it!

-------------
Be seeing you.

Date Posted: 24 June 2009 at 5:56pm
Ouch! think I had nearly all that stuff? And I still have a mutiphase 410 light controller and it still works! I'd forgotten about the iowa and kansas in their purple cardboard boxes
first proper deck (about 1970) I had was a mono citronic with the white mixer bit like the kansas
sort of opened a can of worms there aint I?

-------------

Posted By: cyte
Date Posted: 24 June 2009 at 6:07pm
that was really interesting! someone should make a big coffee-table book (with loads of photos) about the history of DJing. I don't think its been done yet!

Date Posted: 24 June 2009 at 6:11pm
Originally posted by Corticyte Corticyte wrote:

that was really interesting! someone should make a big coffee-table book (with loads of photos) about the history of DJing. I don't think its been done yet!

I hope you have a very strong coffee table cos it would be a very thick book!
this stuff doesn't even scratch the surface!

-------------

Date Posted: 24 June 2009 at 6:26pm
Ok,here is part 2 of the Squires brochure...enjoy!

Hope you all enjoyed that lot!

-------------
Be seeing you.

Date Posted: 24 June 2009 at 10:01pm
This thread is bringing back sooooooo many memories. My FAL Ranger and Squire Disco 80 speakers, I've still got 4 of the FAL 'Decor' boxes that I use whenever I do any 70's based shows, that was followed by a Stereo Popular, then a Hawaii IV, then an Isis and then I got all professional on my badself and moved on to Technics! But the main memory is the effects wheels for the Solar 250's. I remember as a 11 year old going to a local hall on a Saturday afternoon for the 'Under 16's Disco' and watching the effect go around on the back wall. And waiting for the naked lady who was showing her boobies. So rude. But great when you're 11!!! (Even if you didn't know what boobies were for... the wife'll probably tell you I still don't!).

-------------

Posted By: studio45
Date Posted: 24 June 2009 at 10:34pm
cheers jbl_man though it was well before my time i do love this old stuff, tis the only kind of thing i could ever see myself collecting one day, if you lot haven't bagged it all first that is :)
I dimly recall early 90's Primary school discos and seeing the big light boxes and presumably some kind of vintage sound system though no details have survived the intervening years. that would be the closest i've got to it i reckon
Interestingly, later teenage functions were often soundtracked by "that 70's disco bloke" whose name i never discovered but whose selection of tunes was extremely retro - Come On Eileen and Mustang Sally stick in my mind, Though we knew of the modern house/trance/garage scenes that were big then and could probably have got bedroom DJ's with those records if we wanted, even in depths of Cumbria, the middle aged man with the box of good ole 45s nearly always got booked. Must have been to 10 different peoples 18th parties and seen same guy. Did Karaeoke as well if you wanted, but he had rubbish active Mackie speakers though as I recall :( bet his old set was still in his garage.......

-------------
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA

Date Posted: 25 June 2009 at 1:59pm
A couple of Squires adds..the first one is funny nowdays in hindsight!

-------------
Be seeing you.

Posted By: shadow1
Date Posted: 25 June 2009 at 11:23pm
Same here Studio 45. JBL MAN , got to come to your crib one of these days !

-------------
Smile, the worst is yet to come.

Date Posted: 27 June 2009 at 10:49am
Carrying-on the retro theme..here are a few nice colour brochures...
FAL.

Pulsar light,from 1978....

And Pulsar from 1980.

-------------
Be seeing you.

Posted By: burningbush
Date Posted: 29 July 2009 at 4:47pm
Love the 30p per item postage rate.  Wow, loads of memories there.

-------------
music is the message

Date Posted: 30 July 2009 at 3:35pm
check these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SOUNDMASTER-TWIN-RECORD-DECKS_W0QQitemZ300333083029QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_3?hash=item45ed3f2995&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14

and

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CITRONIC-HAWAII-MK-IV-PERFOMER-TWIN-DECKS_W0QQitemZ300334082156QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Turntables?hash=item45ed4e686c&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14

-------------
music is the message

Posted By: Mhamplification
Date Posted: 08 August 2009 at 4:47pm
[
[/QUOTE]
The 607 was a real gem and to be really truthfull i only bought it for the meters lol the sound quality came later and it was a great bit of kit at the time, I later modified it with a citronic sm450 (another great mixer) crossfade! 

Hi
I just found a SM607 on ebay got it for about £30 Had one years ago that came out of a club everything on it was worn out but sent it back to Citronic in Melksham around 1982 time and they did not charge for a total overhaul  new sliders etc  I guess this equipment is still around if you look hard enough

Posted By: GregM
Date Posted: 13 December 2009 at 9:15pm
Oh wow - I somehow(?), accidentally, stunbled across this forum through a link from ebay, and am absolutlely chuffed!, my saturday evening was spent in a flashback emotional mode.......

There was me meandering through life thinking my secret stash of 'history' ancient Squire catalogues (oh the hours I spent wandering the Squire 'house' in North London), TK Discosound, Pulsar (again, wandering about Cerebrum Lighting in SW London), Citronic, Newnam audio, FAL, Optikinetics, Fane and many many more catalogues, etc was a dirty secret. 

Having joined the forum, I guess I need to prove myself as a valid member before I can scan and upload a whole heap more catalogues from the mid 70's through the 80's - as soon as I work out how, I will.

I've still got, and use, a Citronic Hawaii, and a near mint Iowa (as testament to Citronic's build quality, the Iowa has never ever let me down - it's even still got the original bulbs in the gooseneck lamps!), and I recently managed to nab one of the huge Discosound deck's off ebay - tho it needs some serious tlc.

Really really chuffed to have found this site.

-------------
Remember, if you don't want to hear the answer, don't ask the question!

Date Posted: 15 December 2009 at 11:58am
Welcome to the forum Greg.

The Squires' showroom in Tuffnell park road (a converted 3-storey house,as you correctly say) was an alladins cave of disco goodies back then,along with disco supplies in Chadwell heath,and the really posh stuff in REW on the corner of Charring cross road and Tottenham court road.

Im glad someone else is still using the good old English Citronic consoles,i thought i was the only one!

-------------
Be seeing you.

Posted By: GAZ.
Date Posted: 16 December 2009 at 12:35am
Who was it that made the "HENDY" equipment? was that squire's?

-------------
100% Earth Moving Bass

Date Posted: 16 December 2009 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by GregM GregM wrote:

Oh wow - I somehow(?), accidentally, stunbled across this forum through a link from ebay, and am absolutlely chuffed!, my saturday evening was spent in a flashback emotional mode.......

There was me meandering through life thinking my secret stash of 'history' ancient Squire catalogues (oh the hours I spent wandering the Squire 'house' in North London), TK Discosound, Pulsar (again, wandering about Cerebrum Lighting in SW London), Citronic, Newnam audio, FAL, Optikinetics, Fane and many many more catalogues, etc was a dirty secret. 

Having joined the forum, I guess I need to prove myself as a valid member before I can scan and upload a whole heap more catalogues from the mid 70's through the 80's - as soon as I work out how, I will.

I've still got, and use, a Citronic Hawaii, and a near mint Iowa (as testament to Citronic's build quality, the Iowa has never ever let me down - it's even still got the original bulbs in the gooseneck lamps!), and I recently managed to nab one of the huge Discosound deck's off ebay - tho it needs some serious tlc.

Really really chuffed to have found this site.

Welcome to the site Greg
It would be great to see some more catalogues especially any Citronic ones   I have quite a collection
around 15 consoles and 40ish mixers   Just got a Avon II console of Ebay for £3 still with the amps in etc but no turntables

It might be a good idea to start a Citronic thread on the Golden Oldies heading
Please post some pics of your consoles    I did post some on the Mobile dj forum But most of the guys on there are more interested in hard drives and laptops !!!!!!!!!!!

Date Posted: 16 December 2009 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by jbl_man jbl_man wrote:

Welcome to the forum Greg.

The Squires' showroom in Tuffnell park road (a converted 3-storey house,as you correctly say) was an alladins cave of disco goodies back then,along with disco supplies in Chadwell heath,and the really posh stuff in REW on the corner of Charring cross road and Tottenham court road.

Im glad someone else is still using the good old English Citronic consoles,i thought i was the only one!

I seem to remember a shop in East London or Kent that sold or made Glitter Systems  I brought a purple glitter one from there but cant remember the name of the shop or where it was

Another good shop was Disco Sales and Hire in Aldershot 

Date Posted: 16 December 2009 at 3:50pm
Glitter systems was made by disco supplies, chadwell heath. They're still in business, now called DJ empire.

-------------
100% Earth Moving Bass

Date Posted: 16 December 2009 at 4:32pm
I did phone and ask disco supplies (dj empire) twice for some Glitter systems photos to post on here,it was promised,but never arrived.Oh well.
Ok,back to the photos,more FAL this time.

Oooo,chrome-domes,disco-tastic!

-------------
Be seeing you.

Date Posted: 16 December 2009 at 5:10pm
Some of those cabs look real familiar, were any made by other companies (ie, Leslie)?

-------------
music is the message

Date Posted: 16 December 2009 at 5:34pm
Ok,a bit silly,but had to post this...where it all began for most of us,Roger Squires in Junction Road,London N19.

I wonder if the person living there now knows all the goodies and memories attached to his house?

-------------
Be seeing you.

Date Posted: 16 December 2009 at 9:41pm
Crikey, that suddenly looks real familiar - I remember it having a very very substantial soundproofed and steel lined door.

Guess I will have to dig out the camera at the weekend and snap a few pieces of kit.  I have to say I am sniggering, and strangely comforted at the fellow nerdiness, there's some here with dozens of PPX amps, mixers and consoles..... I thought I was weird with my mini stash of Pulsar kit (3 Modulators, 5 Rainbow strobe controllers (but only 4 strobes!) and a collection of zero3000 contollers.

Oh and while I think of it, I also got what seems to be a fairly unusual piece of Citronic lighting - a 19" rack mounting DC-8 lighting desk and four DP300 dimmer packs, seemingly designed to run Par56 cans.  Anybody know where I could get the kit properly serviced?

-------------

Date Posted: 16 December 2009 at 9:50pm

Crikey, that suddenly looks real familiar - I remember it having a very very substantial soundproofed and steel lined door.

Guess I will have to dig out the camera at the weekend and snap a few pieces of kit.  I have to say I am sniggering, and strangely comforted at the fellow nerdiness, there's some here with dozens of PPX amps, mixers and consoles..... I thought I was weird with my mini stash of Pulsar kit (3 Modulators, 5 Rainbow strobe controllers (but only 4 strobes!) and a collection of zero3000 contollers.

Oh and while I think of it, I also got what seems to be a fairly unusual piece of Citronic lighting - a 19" rack mounting DC-8 lighting desk and four DP300 dimmer packs, seemingly designed to run Par56 cans.  Anybody know where I could get the kit properly serviced?

I think I know the system your talking about, citronic did a lighting system late 70's early 80's but it didn't use pars, it had some kind of small square car spotlight thing with it? (like the things in car bumpers) it was very odd and flopped badly, I could of course be wrong but it was the only lighting system by them I remember?

-------------

Date Posted: 16 December 2009 at 9:56pm
[/QUOTE]

I think I know the system your talking about, citronic did a lighting system late 70's early 80's but it didn't use pars, it had some kind of small square car spotlight thing with it? (like the things in car bumpers) it was very odd and flopped badly, I could of course be wrong but it was the only lighting system by them I remember?
[/QUOTE]

Hmmmm, that sounds different to what I have - the dimmer packs are definitly designed for stand mounting and have IEC kettle leads, driving 300w/channel (hence the assumption they were for running Par56's.

Some thing else to take a few snaps of at the w/end.

-------------

Date Posted: 17 December 2009 at 12:51am
I have here a piece of kit that started my life long facination with all things speaker and disco! Back in the early 80's when I was a kid my dad did discos. He used this....

Its a Roger Squire MX507

Its seen much use over the years and a fair bit of the lettering has worn off the mixer.

Complete with funky pink Squire slipmats!

Its sat around the house not doing much for 20 years or so now. last time I powered it up it was still in full working order albeit with a few rustly controlls! Maybe on one of these cold dark evenings I might give it some TLC. Originally made for Squires by NJD I think.

-------------
100% Earth Moving Bass

Date Posted: 17 December 2009 at 12:59am
Another old school gem I have here is this sound to light chaser. Its made by a company called LSE.

Again in full working order!

I have quite a few old sound and light goodies here, some of which I use to this day! I'll post up pictures if anyones interested.

-------------
100% Earth Moving Bass

Date Posted: 17 December 2009 at 5:04am

[/QUOTE]

Hmmmm, that sounds different to what I have - the dimmer packs are definitly designed for stand mounting and have IEC kettle leads, driving 300w/channel (hence the assumption they were for running Par56's.

Some thing else to take a few snaps of at the w/end.
[/QUOTE]

I think that is the one! the dimmer packs mounted on the top of the stands as you say and the lamps had a 300 halogen lamp in them very bright but crap light? hence the no takers? must be very rare now cos I don't think they sold many of them.

-------------

Posted By: Nachural
Date Posted: 18 December 2009 at 3:22pm

Wouldn’t it be fascinating to see some old price lists. Seems like everything was expensive then or maybe we were all just broke at the time!

-------------
it's all just cardboard and magnets really

Date Posted: 18 December 2009 at 7:31pm

Here is s pic of the DC-8 dimmer desk  from  a Citronic handout
I have one somewhere but too cold to go out to the store to look for it

Yes it would be great to see some pics of Pulsar gear as well  I used to like the large Modulators

Date Posted: 18 December 2009 at 7:31pm
Originally posted by Nachural Nachural wrote:

Wouldn’t it be fascinating to see some old price lists. Seems like everything was expensive then or maybe we were all just broke at the time!

Have a look on the Citronic page for some price lists

Date Posted: 18 December 2009 at 7:36pm
Thats a good point Nachural...Citronic prices back then...
Amps.
PPX 300  £499.00
PPX450 £679.00
PPX800  £819.00
PPX1200 £1109.00
PPX1600  £1349.00

Turntables..
Avon II as above was   £939
Tamar was also £939
Trent II with SL1200 decks and no amps was   £1650

I have an old HH price list,the S500d was £440.

I can remember buy two new JBL k140 15" in 1979,they were £140 each back then.The equivilant Gauss 4580 retailed at £178.

-------------
Be seeing you.

Date Posted: 18 December 2009 at 8:52pm
Originally posted by GAZ. GAZ. wrote:

Another old school gem I have here is this sound to light chaser. Its made by a company called LSE.

Again in full working order!

I have quite a few old sound and light goodies here, some of which I use to this day! I'll post up pictures if anyones interested.
Hi Gaz   Yes it would be great to see any pics of equipment you have

Date Posted: 18 December 2009 at 10:24pm
Heres some of my rig. To the left of the picture, 4 Disco supplies own make, Deep Bass 200's. Still going strong and sounding nice! Fane studio 15" and fane J105 horns. Also Hendy SP1's there on top of the W bins. I think Roger squires made the Hendy stuff.

-------------
100% Earth Moving Bass

Date Posted: 19 December 2009 at 11:39am

What are the w-bins Gaz?

Those Disco-supplies deep bass cabs were also made in white as well,loads of pubs and small clubs in london.essex and kent had those installed in the 1980's.
Photo of Froggy taken at Disco supplies circa early 80's...you can see their white cabinets in the background.

-------------
Be seeing you.

Date Posted: 19 December 2009 at 7:59pm
I made those W bins from the fane plans. They have fane colossus in them, I think I put up build pictures on here a while ago.

One pair of my Deep Bass 200's were white, but someone had sprayed them black with a spray can and they looked rubbish,so I recovered them with some new black vinyl cloth the same pattern as the original.
My dad says that they were availible in orange as well as black and white. I wonder if theres still any of these Deep Bass speakers around? I wouldnt mind a few more! Acording to Dad, there was 3 models of these 100,200,and 300.

-------------
100% Earth Moving Bass

Posted By: mrflibble
Date Posted: 20 December 2009 at 6:16pm

Squire XL100 speakers that I use in the garage, 12" bass mid and a piezo tweeter.  Quite well made but dont really sound too great!

Date Posted: 21 December 2009 at 9:11pm
Originally posted by mrflibble mrflibble wrote:

Squire XL100 speakers that I use in the garage, 12" bass mid and a piezo tweeter.  Quite well made but dont really sound too great!

Mrflibble - nice to see them, thanks, and I agree, not the greatest of sound quality, but they did/do the job eh?

Q: - what's straddling across the top of them?

Greg

-------------

Date Posted: 21 December 2009 at 10:39pm
Greg,

The console on the top is a Linearsound Tornado, see pic below. 

100w mono amp and those awful plastic BSR turntables.

Date Posted: 21 December 2009 at 10:48pm
Originally posted by mrflibble mrflibble wrote:

Greg,

The console on the top is a Linearsound Tornado, see pic below. 

100w mono amp and those awful plastic BSR turntables.

Big smile oh, wow, now that really is a classic piece of kit - and it looks to be in tip top condition.

Seriously, thanks for sharing - I've always loved the old skool kit, digital stuff just doesn't have the charisma........ tho the BSR's are having me snigger a tad.

Greg

-------------

Date Posted: 21 December 2009 at 10:49pm

I bought the Linearsound Tornado off Ebay as it was the same model as the one I had 20 years ago, nostalgia is a great thing but i'd forgotten how bad it was!  Its now gone to a new home now to make space for more old consoles!  I had a Saxon Centaur as well but thats long gone.

Posted By: AUDIO HABIT
Date Posted: 22 December 2009 at 8:30pm
[QUOTE=jbl_man] Ok,here is part 2 of the Squires brochure...enjoy!

I have one of those light chasers top right, in my loft,I'll dig it out and take some pics
[

-------------
https://www.facebook.com/fxstageproductions

Date Posted: 23 December 2009 at 10:27am
If my memory serves me correctly, many of those Squire cabinets contained 12" Fane Disco 80's which seemed to work well enough at the time. Guess we would all be terrified at the thought of taking a show out with so little power these days.

-------------

Date Posted: 23 December 2009 at 11:12am
Yes,i think the Squires cabs,along with Disco supplies both used Fane drivers...and were better than a lot of the cheap ebay chinese speakers around now.

As i said in the Citronic thread,i have used the Avon console with its built in 2 x150w into 4ohms amplifier on a number of occasions,and despite the modest power,it allways seemed adequate...you really would be suprised how loud these are...they are fine for a small hall/wedding/party.

-------------
Be seeing you.

Date Posted: 23 December 2009 at 3:00pm
Yes I can quite believe that. A few months ago we dusted off some old 4560's loaded with JBL K140's that had been in the warehouse for a very long time. They gave a suprisingly good account of themselves & didn't need a heap of power to do so.

-------------

Posted By: Street Sounds
Date Posted: 07 January 2010 at 10:32am
Ahh fantastic thread! have seen some gems that I started my djing career on many years ago.

Now the first twin decks I ever used in the late 80's early 90's was a TK Discosound Roadstar.

I know alittle while later (early mid 90's) the guy who owned the disco business back then bought some TK Discosound consoles with twin cd players built inbetween the decks. Does anyone remember these? I would really love too see some pics as they are long gone. They were basically a Roadstar with instead of the cassette deck replaced with twin cd players. The CD players were very simular to a portable CD player, one placed infront of the other inbetween the decks. The CD players had clear lids so you could see the cd's spinning and blue control buttons. They were all integrated into the deck case.

So anyone still got one of these and have any pics?

Love the subject!

Will;)

Date Posted: 09 January 2010 at 4:50pm
At last, I've managed to find my Citronic DC8 and DP300 dimmer packs, so I nabbed a few pictures to share:

Once Ive dug out all the Pulsar kit, I'll post a few more images

Greg

-------------

Date Posted: 09 January 2010 at 5:14pm
Originally posted by Street Sounds Street Sounds wrote:

Ahh fantastic thread! have seen some gems that I started my djing career on many years ago.

Now the first twin decks I ever used in the late 80's early 90's was a TK Discosound Roadstar.

I know alittle while later (early mid 90's) the guy who owned the disco business back then bought some TK Discosound consoles with twin cd players built inbetween the decks. Does anyone remember these? I would really love too see some pics as they are long gone. They were basically a Roadstar with instead of the cassette deck replaced with twin cd players. The CD players were very simular to a portable CD player, one placed infront of the other inbetween the decks. The CD players had clear lids so you could see the cd's spinning and blue control buttons. They were all integrated into the deck case.

So anyone still got one of these and have any pics?

Love the subject!

Will;)
I think these decks must have ben modifyed to have cd players   I think TK Discosound finished in the early /mid 1980`s
It could have been one of the consoles with a tape deck between the turntables that was changed to a CD player
A mate of mine had the Citronic Iowa console  (See my pics on the citronic thread) He had a single Technics CD player mounted where the cassette deck was  just fitted nice apparently  

Date Posted: 09 January 2010 at 5:15pm
Nice pics there Greg   The Dc8 is just the same as mine   Cant find mine either at the moment

Date Posted: 18 January 2010 at 1:02pm
Here is something i found from an old photo,sorry about the quality of this,its from 1979,a stack of "JPS" amplifiers with crossover...apparently JPS were a small firm who hand-built all their stuff,they seemed to vanish after a few years,anyone else hear of them?

-------------
Be seeing you.

Date Posted: 18 January 2010 at 3:58pm

I don’t think JPS were about too long but their products were good and at the time they were (arguably)considered to be a step up from amplifier like the MM AP360 and products by ACE in terms of reliability and build by some.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 January 2010 at 6:57pm

Here is something i found from an old photo,sorry about the quality of this,its from 1979,a stack of "JPS" amplifiers with crossover...apparently JPS were a small firm who hand-built all their stuff,they seemed to vanish after a few years,anyone else hear of them?

Yup! they also did a very nice mixer too!

-------------

Date Posted: 18 January 2010 at 7:22pm

...,anyone else hear of them?

Yep. I've got a JPS amp. Can't remember the model number and it's buried at the back of my lock up waiting for me to get off my a**e and repair it! So JBL Man, thanks, as it's now given me the incentive to get. As soon as I do I'll stick some pics up.
Great sounding amp by the way.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 January 2010 at 7:22pm
Originally posted by djeddie djeddie wrote:

...,anyone else hear of them?

Yep. I've got a JPS amp. Can't remember the model number and it's buried at the back of my lock up waiting for me to get off my a**e and repair it! So JBL Man, thanks, as it's now given me the incentive to get it out. As soon as I do I'll stick some pics up.
Great sounding amp by the way.

-------------

Date Posted: 19 January 2010 at 12:32pm
JPS Associates based at Park Royal in London---Three partners if I am correct, John Paul and Steve---We used to deal with Paul in the late seventies and the amps were all hand built---We were one of the few retailers in the UK selling them and we sold a fair few as we used them at the time on our touring rigs so they were out there in peoples faces---Very nice sounding amps but the main problem with them was the flimsy casing and the bigger 4U amps used to flex quite a lot and cause problems---They eventually went bust as they just could not compete with RSD/Studiomaster Mosfet 1000s and the massive surge of the new Crown Macrotechs at the time. 

Date Posted: 19 January 2010 at 2:38pm
Arr! That makes sense John,the stack in this photo belonged to an outfit called "JB's monster roadshow",which we used to hire in to Epping Forest country club when Froggys' rig wasnt available,i vaugely remember chatting to them about these amps,it was their mate Steve who built them,so ties in with what you said.
I think the bass ones were 2x400w,bipolar design...they used them to power two stacks of Tony's ASS concert system with Gauss drivers...it seemed extraordinary loud at the time.

-------------
Be seeing you.

Date Posted: 19 January 2010 at 3:54pm
Yeah---Those amps in the pic are the very early ones Ian and the silver knobs used to fall off---Later amps were fitted with larger black plastic knobs fitted via collets so the never came off---They were also one of the first UK built amps with soft start relays fitted and there was quite a delay between turn on and switch on---always used to make me smile for some reason---Cheers--John.

Date Posted: 20 January 2010 at 12:06am
Well I'm glad someone else can remember 'JB's Monster Roadshow'! I thought it was just me.

-------------

Date Posted: 21 January 2010 at 7:14pm
More Squires.

-------------
Be seeing you.

Date Posted: 21 January 2010 at 11:32pm

More Squires.

wow check out the ev £520 and i bet thats a good few years old,if a 1200 is only £219,
im trying to guess the year from the clues,
1, there was a show room on deansgate manchester
2, 061 and not 0161 (what year did that happen 1995 ish was it? )
3, the deck
4, the ev

so my gess is 1986, if you know jbl man, please let me know, it's doing my head in lol 

-------------

Date Posted: 22 January 2010 at 12:03pm
Dam good guess Audio habit,just one year out,that was from a 1985 magazine.

-------------
Be seeing you.

Date Posted: 22 January 2010 at 6:32pm

Dam good guess Audio habit,just one year out,that was from a 1985 magazine.

woohooo that will do for me ( licks finger and sticks it in the air,and says tisssss while doing a stupid dance )m lololol

-------------

Posted By: drum1707
Date Posted: 07 February 2010 at 4:20pm
Got loads of Pics of Consoles. Think I'll start with the Fal Range.

FAL System 50

Date Posted: 07 February 2010 at 4:27pm
Fal Super Disco

Fal Mono Deluxe

Fal Stereo Deluxe

Fal Ranger

Fal Ranger Stereo Deluxe

Fal Stereo Graphic

Fal Phoenix

Date Posted: 07 February 2010 at 5:09pm
Thanks for posting  Great pics there of the Fal consoles
Never liked to use them myself but good to see again
Had to use a Mono deluxe in a pub in 1979 they wouldnt let me use my own kit, the built in amp would blow most weeks in use  But I didnt mind as I still got paid for the night anyway
Do you have any Cloud or Soundout console pics ?

Date Posted: 07 February 2010 at 7:02pm
Yeah, I have some Cloud pics, I'll post them shortly.

Date Posted: 07 February 2010 at 7:58pm
Cloud Windsor

Cloud Series 9

Cloud Series 7

Cloud Series 10

Cloud 2500

Cloud (Unsure)

Cloud (Unsure)

Date Posted: 07 February 2010 at 8:16pm
More great pics are any of these yours Love the series 9
 I am looking for a Series 9  Very nice deck to use
The one you are unsure of 2nd to last pic is a Cloud Buckingham The last pic looks very similiar but looks like a install model rather in a mobile suitcsae style looks to be unpowered as well
I picked up a series 10 last year for about £10 of ebay Havent had a chance to look at it yet though

Date Posted: 07 February 2010 at 9:01pm
The Fal Mono Deluxe & Ranger are mine, I also have a Citronic Thames, Powered Stereo Popular, Avon & Hawaii IV. An NJD DM808 and a Saxon Centaur. I'm trying to get my hands on a Citronic Thames II and something from the Cloud range.

I post some more pics tomorrow.

Date Posted: 07 February 2010 at 9:45pm
The cloud Buckinghams look quite nice,but the windsor,the series 10 and series 7 in the photos above have those awful BSR turntables,they are dreadful,crudely made,nasty arms,feedback like crazy.
The turntables in the better Buckingham look exactly the same as the citronic's garrard-based CL300's,a much nicer design.

Edit...Nice photos by the way Drum.thanks for posting.

-------------
Be seeing you.

Date Posted: 08 February 2010 at 6:03pm
Drum 1707, great pics! The first deck I had was a Saxon Centaur, i've looked everywhere for some old pics of that first setup I had but cant find them.  If you could post some of yours i'd love to see them.

Date Posted: 08 February 2010 at 9:15pm
Here is my Saxon Centaur

And here it is from the front with matching screen

Date Posted: 08 February 2010 at 9:18pm

LOL, Sorry the one above is the old one i had, The pic below is the one i have now.

Date Posted: 08 February 2010 at 9:24pm
Anyone got any idea's what these two are?

Tuac?

And this is a pic of the first console i ever owned. SW, Simms Watts (I think)? My dad bought me one of these to practice on before i was old enough to get into the pubs, Circa 1978.

Any info on these would be well appreciated..........I've also got pics of i few consoles i haven't got a clue about..

Date Posted: 08 February 2010 at 9:38pm
Some Citronic Consoles.

Not quite sure what this is?

I think this one is a Stateline II although i maybe wrong!

Tamar

Thames II

Severn

Severn II Popular

Powered Mono Popular

Powered Stereo Popular

Date Posted: 08 February 2010 at 9:43pm
Hawaii Popular

Hawaii IV

Hawaii ?

Avon

Avon II

Date Posted: 08 February 2010 at 9:48pm
The larger pic of the Hawaii IV and the Avon i own..........They are for sale, In great condition, Serviced and ready to go.

Date Posted: 08 February 2010 at 9:50pm
Some good ones there, especialy the Hawaii IV with the blue background (my own console!) Funny coincidence but the picture below that is the ebay pic of the same console from when I bought it!  What a bargain, think they were £55!

Date Posted: 08 February 2010 at 9:53pm
Yep, I took that pic from Ebay.....

Date Posted: 08 February 2010 at 9:55pm
drum 1707, nice Saxon Centaur! I didn't have the screen or speakers though, just the console.  The turntables on mine were slightly different, it had those plastic BSR ones like on the Linearsound Tornado I posted earlier in the thread.

Date Posted: 08 February 2010 at 9:57pm
The Centaur will be up for sale shortly, Complete!!!!! Needs a bit of work but not much.

I collect the pics so that i can get a good idea of what i'm looking for when i buy and service them before i sell them on..........Although i keep some of the consoles, Well you gotta haven't you LOL.

Date Posted: 08 February 2010 at 10:17pm
drum1707, which pics are the Hawaii IV and Avon you have for sale?

Date Posted: 08 February 2010 at 11:31pm
The Avon that's on the floor, And an identical one to the one with the blue background. I took that pic from Ebay to make sure i had it right, But yep it's identical and in just as good condition.

Date Posted: 09 February 2010 at 11:07am
Probually the ultimate in disco consoles,the Matamp,most of these were to special order,and hugely expensive.the radio one roadshow had one,Emperor Rosco had one,and here is Froggy's.....the console "supports" are actually valve amplifier cases,which ran the mid/hi in this setup. 

-------------
Be seeing you.

Date Posted: 09 February 2010 at 5:28pm
A couple of scans of consoles 
Soundout and Simms
anyone got or had a Soundout series 6 as in the pic at the back

Date Posted: 09 February 2010 at 5:42pm

Date Posted: 09 February 2010 at 6:34pm
Yup I had both the soundout consoles and another older one with the mixer in the center and pockets along the front for 7" singles (bloody huge mono console), had the speakers in the pic too! but not the amps

-------------

Date Posted: 09 February 2010 at 6:53pm
Didnt the red fins on the end act as heatsinks on the powered versions? i can remember looking at one in Squires' in Junction road,but bought the stereo Hawaii instead as it just looked nicer at the time!
I think forum member Robbo used to sell this brand new.

-------------
Be seeing you.

Date Posted: 09 February 2010 at 7:12pm

Didnt the red fins on the end act as heatsinks on the powered versions? i can remember looking at one in Squires' in Junction road,but bought the stereo Hawaii instead as it just looked nicer at the time!
I think forum member Robbo used to sell this brand new.

They were also dead handy to pick it up with lol, would imagine they'd be a bit warm though! powered was about 170watts per channel I think? big stuff for a mobile them days?

-------------

Posted By: TRE4U2NV
Date Posted: 09 February 2010 at 7:19pm
Had the stereo soundout amp 200w a side if i remember that amp run forever had to put a fan inside top keep it up to date with mordern ones late 80s great little amp Clap

-------------
IM SO SECRETIVE BUT I CANT TELL YOU WHY

Date Posted: 09 February 2010 at 8:13pm
All of the Soundout cosoles with the red heatsinks either powered on unpowered were completely unreliable but they looked pretty--Sound quality was not up to Citronics standard either.
Soundout also made a line of musicians guitar and bass amps under the name of Frunt and they used to go bang in a big way on a regular basis---In fact we used to have a saying about them in our shops that used to rhyme very well with Frunt.

Date Posted: 09 February 2010 at 8:28pm
@ Robbo! Did you also sell the roost speaker range
agree with you on the soundout stuff too! always seemed second class to the citronic stuff!

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2023 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net