Help with Mrk/Driver Choice with Cow.

Printed From: Speakerplans.com
Category: Plans
Forum Name: Scoops
Forum Description: One scoop or two ;-)
URL: https://forum.speakerplans.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=32948
Printed Date: 23 April 2024 at 11:53am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Help with Mrk/Driver Choice with Cow.
Posted By: Autograff
Subject: Help with Mrk/Driver Choice with Cow.
Date Posted: 22 November 2009 at 2:55pm
Ez

In everyone's honest opinion , what would be your Mrk and driver choice for the Cow Scoop?

At the moment i honestly can't make up my mind between Mrk1 Cow with TM1800i or the Mrk2 Cow with PD1850 , both are immense drivers IMO , but have completely different sounds.

I reckon the 1800mrk1 with go lower and have more of a grunt in the lower notes , but the 1850mrk2 will have a cleaner flatter sound and still deliver nice SPL.

Problem is both of those kind of sounds appeal to me , so atm no boxes are being built ...

-------------
Liquid_Steel_Sessions
R8 Records

Replies:
Posted By: pfly
Date Posted: 22 November 2009 at 4:08pm
PD1850. You do not need THAT much of amp power with them

Posted By: Saul
Date Posted: 22 November 2009 at 6:33pm
Originally posted by Autograff Autograff wrote:

I reckon the 1800mrk1 with go lower and have more of a grunt in the lower notes , but the 1850mrk2 will have a cleaner flatter sound and still deliver nice SPL.

i wouldn't be so sure about that. 

personally, for me, it'd be mk2 with PD1850, no questions. 

Obviously you play a lot of dubstep etc, so requirements may be different, maybe you want the one noted low end rumble. but i'd go for pd1850 for the nice tonality throughout the 30 - 90 region, and it will still deliver some devastating sub. 

Powering tmax1800s is always going to be a problem too. You can power 4x pd1850s off a ma5000 or infi8 no problems, but for 4x tmax 1800s, i'd be bridging 2x 5k amps over the 4 drivers, because as we know, the tmaxes are power pigs. 

anyway, we've chatted about this a few times now, i'll let someone else do some convincing now... Smile

Posted By: fat_brstd
Date Posted: 22 November 2009 at 6:41pm
unless your playing venues where you have access to the power supplies needed for the tm1800i and the amps to drive them properly then i wouldnt bother even thinking about using them. 1850 is still scoop driver king.

Posted By: Heathrow_B_line
Date Posted: 22 November 2009 at 8:43pm
its all guess work until you build some and try them with various drivers

why not build them?

-------------
Produce a killer sound. Take no prisoners.

Posted By: monomixer
Date Posted: 22 November 2009 at 10:32pm
Originally posted by Saul Saul wrote:

[QUOTE=Autograff]

Obviously you play a lot of dubstep etc, so requirements may be different, maybe you want the one noted low end rumble. but i'd go for pd1850 for the nice tonality throughout the 30 - 90 region, and it will still deliver some devastating sub. 

TMAX 1800 doesn't just create one note low end rumble. They play well on Iration's rig and must be hard to blow one up. I agree on the power thing, yes they do need a lot of power. maybe go for 1500's on MK1 I'd say.. (or even tmax 1000? never heard it play tho)

Btw in the first place i didn't fancy the 1800 too, but last sunday on UOD i changed my mind. they are nice.

Posted By: mykey
Date Posted: 23 November 2009 at 6:54am
Mk2 1850 loaded Cow Grey
super 1850 loaded black

http://img14.imageshack.us/i/auto1i.jpg/">

4 x Cow Mk2 1000 watts each
http://img695.imageshack.us/i/auto2.jpg/">

diaphragm displacement 1000 watts

http://img163.imageshack.us/i/auto3q.jpg/">

If Lev was an American redneck, he would say...............get'er done!!!!!

-------------
......just all them hanging there like giant bananas.

Date Posted: 23 November 2009 at 8:26am
canadian lumberjack you meanWink

Posted By: levyte357
Date Posted: 23 November 2009 at 9:04am
Originally posted by mykey mykey wrote:

If Lev was an American redneck, he would say...............get'er done!!!!!

Try modelling Turbomax 1200/1500/Fane 1500 in Mk2 @ 1kw (Also note excursion), to see your eyes wobble, just from the sim.. Wacko

If you mow your back lawn, and find a car, you "might" be a red'neck...
If  the advert just say no to crack,  reminds you to pull up your jeans, you "might" be a red neck..
If you and your dog pee on the same tree, you "might" be a red neck...

LOL

-------------
"Who am I? I'm the guy who does his job.. You must be the other guy".

Date Posted: 23 November 2009 at 12:17pm
can you put the spec's up?

you've really confused him now as to what driverErmmLOL

-------------

Date Posted: 23 November 2009 at 12:21pm
BTW, I only used a super as ref, because I don't have any other details on anyone else's scoops, that information is tighter than Vino Jones a-se hole 

-------------

Posted By: bitzo
Date Posted: 23 November 2009 at 1:24pm
eminence scoop 18 is so used...loaded with many different driver. Just imho but it's a good reference too or...(suspence time........) a blashemy think about supers with cows width.

However anyone have ever tryed to sim scoop with akabak?

-------------
http://www.unitedroots.it - United Roots SoundSystem site

Posted By: toastyghost
Date Posted: 23 November 2009 at 1:50pm
Can you borrow a Turbomax 1800i? PD1850s should be easy enough to come by… the reason I ask is that you should just knock up a prototype of each cab type and try them loaded. If you can swing over to Manchester in a van I can pass on the details of a place that does free MDF panels.

Date Posted: 23 November 2009 at 2:18pm

can you put the spec's up?

Specs can be found here http://royalloudspeakers.com, Sd is approx 1220.

you've really confused him now as to what driverErmmLOL

Then let us confuse him some more.

The V18-1000 will sound great in everything, cheaper new than used Turbomax 1500, but best in Mk2 or Mk3, as its not really a scoop driver. LOL

Have personally heard drivers sound better than 1850 in medium chamber scoop, but in smaller chamber, PD1850/PD186 were ridiculous.

-------------

Posted By: tweeter box
Date Posted: 23 November 2009 at 2:24pm
OR

if ur strapped for cash then the Celestion 100w will do main in the box

another option would be the Fane XB for that beautiful warm rolling bassline

hhhhmmmm decisions decisions  

-------------
PRECISION SOUND SYSTEM.

Feeding the peoples needs for Roots Music.

Strictly premium grade reggae and dub steppers from the early 70's to present day.

Posted By: SUFFERER
Date Posted: 23 November 2009 at 2:36pm
Ive got some used, approved but not abused XB's up for grabs... cheap as chips.

Date Posted: 23 November 2009 at 2:43pm
Money isn't an option when it comes to amps , if i go for 1800's , i buy two inf8's/5000vzs , if i go for 1850's i only buy one.

I was intending to buy/borrow one of each driver and build prototypes , just wanted to see what people's opinions where.

-------------
Liquid_Steel_Sessions
R8 Records

Posted By: tweeter box
Date Posted: 23 November 2009 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by SUFFERER SUFFERER wrote:

Ive got some used, approved but not abused XB's up for grabs... cheap as chips.

£50 each?? Big smile

-------------
PRECISION SOUND SYSTEM.

Feeding the peoples needs for Roots Music.

Strictly premium grade reggae and dub steppers from the early 70's to present day.

Date Posted: 23 November 2009 at 4:06pm

I was intending to buy/borrow one of each driver and build prototypes , just wanted to see what people's opinions where.

If cash isn't an issue, then as someone else mentioned, what power supplies do your venues typically avail? Would have thought only corporate gigs regularily have 3phase or 64A feed available?

Fact is, with Tmax 1800 scoops, you would find it very difficult to match 8x 1850/V18-1000 in small chamber scoops like Rens/ASS, driven by 2x Inf8 Mk2/MA5000VZ. If they were driven by 4x strong 3K amps in bridge, you definetly wouldn't have a chance, even on 32A supply.

So choose drivers wisely.Confused

-------------

Date Posted: 23 November 2009 at 4:38pm
Most venues have 32A , if not then a few 16A's can be found.

The power isn't the main issue anyways , what Im really after is the right sound , which would be low-end SPL . Which IMO is found more with larger chamber Turbomax scoops , than tight chamber 1850/V-18 1K .

-------------
Liquid_Steel_Sessions
R8 Records

Date Posted: 23 November 2009 at 4:45pm
Originally posted by bitzo bitzo wrote:

eminence scoop 18 is so used...loaded with many different driver. Just imho but it's a good reference too or...(suspence time........) a blashemy think about supers with cows width.

However anyone have ever tryed to sim scoop with akabak?
Tongue A super has a longer hornWink

-------------

Date Posted: 23 November 2009 at 7:01pm

Most venues have 32A , if not then a few 16A's can be found.

The power isn't the main issue anyways , what Im really after is the right sound , which would be low-end SPL . Which IMO is found more with larger chamber Turbomax scoops , than tight chamber 1850/V-18 1K .

Well then, go ahead matey, and let us know what happens..

-------------

Posted By: Tekasis
Date Posted: 23 November 2009 at 7:30pm

You sure you got that the right way round? as I thought many of the PD1850 haterz been saying the reverse of this for years!!!Confused

-------------
**Heavy Weight-Line**
A home without books is like a body with no soul.

Date Posted: 23 November 2009 at 7:37pm
Originally posted by Tekasis Tekasis wrote:

You sure you got that the right way round? as I thought many of the PD1850 haterz been saying the reverse of this for years!!!Confused

put the 1800s in shortman and compare to s118 with 1850, and you'll see what i'm saying. 

but otherwise, yes i agree. 

Posted By: Tekasis
Date Posted: 23 November 2009 at 8:58pm

put the 1800s in shortman and compare to s118 with 1850, and you'll see what i'm saying. 

I agree 100% there!

-------------
**Heavy Weight-Line**
A home without books is like a body with no soul.

Date Posted: 23 November 2009 at 9:16pm
@ autograff, back on subject, 

just build one of each if your torn over which one to go for. I can provide some drivers to try in each.. 

i built a chipboard cow a couple of months back - i liked what i heard - but it wasnt braced so it certainly didnt tell the full story - its now been burnt  - i had the intention of building more in ply, but still havent got round to it....... 

Posted By: darkmatter
Date Posted: 23 November 2009 at 10:10pm
How much are turbomax compared to Beyma 18SW1600nd (£325 each)? They look like they could work.

18sw1600nd in Cow mk2, 89V input, modelled in 0.5pi (approximates 1000w per driver into 4 drivers, assuming 4 drivers is a 2 ohm load):

Displacement looks similar to the PD1850. They have a lower xmax than both PD and turbomax though, so may well be xmax limited to 80-85V per driver in this design, no idea to be honest as xdam is 60mm pk-pk...

Shame there won't be many about to test.

Date Posted: 24 November 2009 at 4:34pm
I reckon prototypes are the way then , anyone got an 1850 and 1800 near sheffield?

-------------
Liquid_Steel_Sessions
R8 Records

Date Posted: 25 November 2009 at 3:16pm

I reckon prototypes are the way then , anyone got an 1850 and 1800 near sheffield?

Watch Tek shrug his shoulders, and say dunno, even though he can barely close his front door, because his gaffe is so rammed with 18" drivers.. LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 26 November 2009 at 3:29am
Originally posted by darkmatter darkmatter wrote:

How much are turbomax compared to Beyma 18SW1600nd (£325 each)? They look like they could work.

18sw1600nd in Cow mk2, 89V input, modelled in 0.5pi (approximates 1000w per driver into 4 drivers, assuming 4 drivers is a 2 ohm load):

Displacement looks similar to the PD1850. They have a lower xmax than both PD and turbomax though, so may well be xmax limited to 80-85V per driver in this design, no idea to be honest as xdam is 60mm pk-pk...

Shame there won't be many about to test.
I'll try in a few days, pretty awesome speaker the Helicex

-------------

Date Posted: 27 November 2009 at 2:24pm

Call me cheap, but there's no way I'd be spending £300 on a driver when,

New Turbomax   1000     :   approx £220 (Collection in person, 2x or more)
New V18-1000                :   approx £210
New PD1850                   :   approx £260
New Turbomax 1500       :   approx £280 (Collection in person, 2x or more)

-------------

Posted By: darkmatter
Date Posted: 27 November 2009 at 4:00pm
Yeah true mate, and compared to the cab weight the neo saving is minimal. Was just thrown in there as a comparison as I reckon I'd rather buy the Beymas than the tmax 1800i - this is if I was living in some dream land where I actually had some cash haha ;)

I know Roy's a pioneer with the beastly 18"s but I really respect Beyma's engineering and I've been impressed with the drivers of theirs that I've heard.

Mikey you have some helicex lying around? Nice, be interested to know whether they work in a scoop :)

Date Posted: 28 November 2009 at 12:23am
yes darkmatter, it's something else

I did a demo yesterday with my C4-S up against 2 brand new Peavey VR218's.......Peaveys gave up long before the C4

the guy is now going to purchase 4 x C4-s and use the Peaveys for the band onlyEmbarrassed

and what did this guy pay for the Peaveys??????? $4000 each ShockedShockedShockedShocked some of the distributors here want to be careful, because that is pure robbery, and I don't know how they can sleep at night

I checked on the web and found the VR218's for around $1100, and even that's to much I think

-------------

Date Posted: 28 November 2009 at 1:40am

Yeah true mate, and compared to the cab weight the neo saving is minimal. Was just thrown in there as a comparison as I reckon I'd rather buy the Beymas than the           tmax 1800i - this is if I was living in some dream land where I actually had some cash haha ;)

I know Roy's a pioneer with the beastly 18"s but I really respect Beyma's engineering and I've been impressed with the drivers of theirs that I've heard.

Mikey you have some helicex lying around? Nice, be interested to know whether they work in a scoop :)
+1, I can't trust drivers that sound like a pimped up motor

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2023 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net