Print Page | Close Window

Citronic Consoles, mixers and amps

Printed From: Speakerplans.com
Category: Other Chat
Forum Name: Golden oldies
Forum Description: Post all historic interesting items, stories and photos here (no, not your Nan)
URL: https://forum.speakerplans.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=33734
Printed Date: 18 October 2019 at 7:00am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Citronic Consoles, mixers and amps
Posted By: Mhamplification
Subject: Citronic Consoles, mixers and amps
Date Posted: 16 December 2009 at 5:35pm
Thought I would start a new topic here devoted to Citronic
Please add your photos and any information on here
Pic of my favourite console to start with

Replies:
Posted By: jbl_man
Date Posted: 16 December 2009 at 5:42pm
Oh dear MH,you know im going to have to upload all mine now....here we go,first of many.

-------------
Be seeing you.

Posted By: burningbush
Date Posted: 16 December 2009 at 5:45pm
mintClap

-------------
music is the message

Date Posted: 16 December 2009 at 5:46pm

-------------
Be seeing you.

Date Posted: 16 December 2009 at 5:48pm

-------------
Be seeing you.

Date Posted: 16 December 2009 at 5:50pm

-------------
Be seeing you.

Date Posted: 16 December 2009 at 6:41pm
Ok,the previous two are a pair of my Avon's,this is a mk4 Hawaii,basically an Avon without the amplifiers built in.

-------------
Be seeing you.

Posted By: TRE4U2NV
Date Posted: 16 December 2009 at 7:14pm
ian i dont think my citronic amps looked that good newClap

-------------
IM SO SECRETIVE BUT I CANT TELL YOU WHY

Posted By: colint
Date Posted: 16 December 2009 at 7:21pm
Originally posted by Mhamplification Mhamplification wrote:

Thought I would start a new topic here devoted to Citronic
Please add your photos and any information on here
Pic of my favourite console to start with
Stone me? I havn't seen an Iowa since god was a boy? Does it still work? I had one of these, and the earlier model with the white mixer (same as ice electrics) bloody good console earnt me a lot of cash over the years?

@ Ian your collection of "new looking" equipment never fails to amase me! I'd just love to have a look around your kit! (that sounds so wrong don't it?)

-------------
Never criticise another man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. Once you have, call him what you like, you're a mile away and you've got his shoes!

Posted By: joshd963
Date Posted: 16 December 2009 at 7:30pm
some lovely pics here :) cant seem to see all of em tho :(

them ppxs look rather attractive in that outfit i must say

Date Posted: 16 December 2009 at 7:48pm
Thanks guys,will upload some more photos when i get a moment...the citronic collecting has got a bit out of hand,i think its up to 18 ppx900's alone now.
Colin,yes,im almost finished refurbishing the museum ,opps i mean house to the same standard as the amps,so yes tea and disco-talk would be nice one day!

Here is youtube vid of a Tamar in action.

-------------
Be seeing you.

Posted By: joshd963
Date Posted: 16 December 2009 at 8:25pm
LOL ppx fetish

Date Posted: 16 December 2009 at 8:49pm

[/QUOTE]
Stone me? I havn't seen an Iowa since god was a boy? Does it still work? I had one of these, and the earlier model with the white mixer (same as ice electrics) bloody good console earnt me a lot of cash over the years?

Hi
Yes it works fine   never tried the light controller though
 This console was from a nightclub on the Isle of Wight and just ran on its internal amps
Ive just got a Kansas as well  same but without the tape deck Will get some more pics up tomorrow if it ever gets light

Date Posted: 16 December 2009 at 9:02pm
JBL Man
Your PPX amps look fantastic  especially the 1600  Did those 900`s come from the factory clearout they look mint  or have you cleaned and refurbished them yourself ?
The consoles look amazing as well  those Avons look like they have come new out of the boxs
You seem to like your Studiomasters as well  I also collect H/H but am handing most of them over to Andy of the H/H Amplification website In exchange for Citronic gear  I guess you have seen it
http://www.hhamplification.co.uk/ - http://www.hhamplification.co.uk/
I have loads more Citronic to take pics of  There will be more to follow over the next few days

It seems funny but the PPX900 seems to be going for peanuts on Ebay at the moment  I got one recently that was listed spares or repair  all I can find wrong with it is missing front grill and control knobs missing covers
I would prefer one PPX to any of the newer amps that are about   With the exeption of the obvious Americian "name" amps of course
MH

Date Posted: 17 December 2009 at 9:19am
Most of mine came from a large install in a conference centre on the south coast MH,where they were used for vocal pa,and had never been out on the road,so other than a little dust,they were "as new".
Here is an unusual one,its badged as "chrysalis retail entertainment",but it is,of course a later PPX600.Citronic built these for chrysalis for the install market...the last of the english-made citronics....i dont think this particular one has ever been used.

-------------
Be seeing you.

Date Posted: 17 December 2009 at 5:35pm
A few more pics
Kansas console with built in amps and a SM440 mixer

Date Posted: 17 December 2009 at 6:33pm
Thats an early one MH,with the garrard sp25mk4 decks,the Kansas was another bigger version of the Hawaii,with amplifiers built in...2x100watts,but as with all these old consoles,they sound far louder than the figures suggest.

-------------
Be seeing you.

Date Posted: 17 December 2009 at 6:48pm
MH, I had one of those too! I fitted mine with a pair of dual hi-fi turn tables with vari-speed (the first consol I could mix on) another great console with wicked sound quality for  the day!

it's such a crying shame Citronic were sold off just imagine what kit they would have been producing now days? they were a really nice bunch of people too, great to do trade with!

@ Ian, I know it's slightly of topic, but do you have any ice electrics kit or pictures?

-------------
Never criticise another man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. Once you have, call him what you like, you're a mile away and you've got his shoes!

Date Posted: 18 December 2009 at 7:41pm
Originally posted by colint colint wrote:

MH, I had one of those too! I fitted mine with a pair of dual hi-fi turn tables with vari-speed (the first consol I could mix on) another great console with wicked sound quality for  the day!

it's such a crying shame Citronic were sold off just imagine what kit they would have been producing now days? they were a really nice bunch of people too, great to do trade with!

@ Ian, I know it's slightly of topic, but do you have any ice electrics kit or pictures?
Sorry for butting in but I have a Ice mix 6000 and a brochure for it Ice were taken over by Citronic so it seems fitting to put it on this page  I will get a pic of the actual mixer tomorrow 

Posted By: GregM
Date Posted: 18 December 2009 at 7:47pm
Well I never knew that!,  ICE were taken over by Citronic? - and were based in Haslemere, all of 7 miles from me.....small word.

I remember quite liking some ICE kits - but having bought into Citronic and Pulsar, my way was paved.

-------------
Remember, if you don't want to hear the answer, don't ask the question!

Date Posted: 18 December 2009 at 7:49pm
Originally posted by jbl_man jbl_man wrote:

Thats an early one MH,with the garrard sp25mk4 decks,the Kansas was another bigger version of the Hawaii,with amplifiers built in...2x100watts,but as with all these old consoles,they sound far louder than the figures suggest.
Yes you are quite correct JBLman  I only very rarely had to add slave amps to Citronic consoles to boost the power my Iowa console was used in a nightclub that was quite large and never seemed to run out of power  I have a power amp out of a Popular mono deck that was 150watts into 4 ohms  I have built this into a seperate case and use it as a test amp in my workshop
Its unusual to note that on the Kansas console there are no power amp gain controls on the back panel at the rear/middle of the turntables This must have been a later addition

Date Posted: 18 December 2009 at 7:52pm
1987 Citronic price list

Date Posted: 18 December 2009 at 8:25pm
Funny how you can forget stuff you used to sell so much of until you see a price list like the one above?
and also amasing the info people on this forum have on products that are so old, when we closed the shop all of the imformation was chucked in the skip along with countless bits of equipment! the only thing I kept was tech drawings (and I don't know where any of them are now) I at one time had complete sets of drawings for HH, Harrison, Citronic, Cloud, Crown and countless others that have all got lost over the years pretty sad really!

Mh. thanks for the pic of the ice mixer, most people seem to have forgotten them now! but all this stuff was top gear in them days and I shudder when I think of the crap avalable as pro-audio gear compared to the early stuff.

I don't suppose anyone has a pic of the citronic system 80?

-------------

Posted By: GAZ.
Date Posted: 18 December 2009 at 11:03pm
Heres my PPX collection

450's 900,1200 and 1600.

I love these old amps!

Heres my Citronic SA400's

My Citronic SM350 and EQ 310

My citronic SM450

I have an SM650 too but I cant find a picture of that at the moment, Its the main one I use!

I'll try and take some better pictures of that lot too! more Old school pics to come!

-------------
100% Earth Moving Bass

Date Posted: 18 December 2009 at 11:08pm
Could do with a couple of spare bits for the SM650 if anybodys got anything?

-------------
100% Earth Moving Bass

Posted By: studio45
Date Posted: 19 December 2009 at 1:22am
Good grief. I only got into working in proper venues 8 years ago, and at the first place there was one more modern Citronic mixer installed in one of the DJ booths. The Citronic was duly judged against the Allen&Heath Xones and Pioneer DJM's in the mobile inventory and acquired the nickname "the Sh!tronic"! 

Seems the standard there has dropped significantly since these models were current. I've never seen a Citronic mixer of any vintage in any other club since then!

-------------
Studio45 - Box Builder Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA

Date Posted: 19 December 2009 at 7:34am
Originally posted by studio45 studio45 wrote:

Good grief. I only got into working in proper venues 8 years ago, and at the first place there was one more modern Citronic mixer installed in one of the DJ booths. The Citronic was duly judged against the Allen&Heath Xones and Pioneer DJM's in the mobile inventory and acquired the nickname "the Sh!tronic"! 

Seems the standard there has dropped significantly since these models were current. I've never seen a Citronic mixer of any vintage in any other club since then!

Thats because the later citronic stuff isn't brit made any more? citronic were quite a small company but the products were made with care and very well made hence why the surviving stuff still works and still sounds good (wonder if any pioneer mixers willl  still be working in 20 years time)

The SM450/SM650 was the back bone of our installs until the matamp supernover came out (which most club owners freaked out when they were quoted the price for it)  and then the formla sound pm80 took over, both of these mixers were almost 3 time the price of the citronic.

The jap/china built stuff didn't really suface until Numark changed factorys from the usa to china then things started to go down hill rapidly, ctironc couldn't compete with the prices (the top of the range numak 1775 with a sampler was about £400).
From there on the PM80 took over in the clubs and the newer (china made) citronic kit was destined to be for entry level mobile Dj's

-------------

Date Posted: 19 December 2009 at 9:21am
Nice photos Gaz.

To follow-on what Colin is saying,the same thing applies to the english Citronic amps,beautifully made,completely over-engineered for the task, (look at a ppx450,large power supply,12 hitachi mosfets each with its own fuse,2 large heat sinks,5 inch fan,and weighs 17kgs,all to produce just 2x225 watts!),but the result of this attention to detail is that 25years later,they are still working fine.

I wouldnt like to bet that any chinese amp,no matter who makes it,will still be working after that length of time.

-------------
Be seeing you.

Date Posted: 19 December 2009 at 5:17pm
Originally posted by colint colint wrote:

Here you are Colin I braved the -10 outside to get the Ice 6000 out of the unit
I must try it out sometime  It has a few knobs missing but not in bad condition has the original PSU with it as well

Date Posted: 19 December 2009 at 5:21pm
Originally posted by GAZ. GAZ. wrote:

Could do with a couple of spare bits for the SM650 if anybodys got anything?
Yes nice pics there Gaz  especially the SA400`s  Ive never seen these before  loads of SA200`s
I think these were built to compete with the Soundout slaves
Love to see a big hi res pic of the SA400 rack

What spares are you after ? I have quite a collection I got from Apollo from the factory clearout
BUt hardly any sliders left only very small ones

Date Posted: 19 December 2009 at 5:42pm
main thing is one of the cue switches is a bit dodgey, could really do with a new one of those, also I'm missing the knobs off one of the channels and the crossfade. Have you any knobs for the SM450? I'm missing a few of those too. I'll take a better picture of my SA 400's for you.

-------------
100% Earth Moving Bass

Date Posted: 19 December 2009 at 6:23pm
Heres a better picture of my SA400's

Switched on with VU meters lit up

And the back. I've added the speakon sockets as these only originally had binding posts.

And my SM650

-------------
100% Earth Moving Bass

Date Posted: 19 December 2009 at 6:28pm
Strewth, now I know why when a PPX comes up on ebay, ut gets whipped away.

I'd love to recreate my old system, triamp'd with a 1200, 900 and 450 (wish I could remember what crossover I used), but bidding competition tends to squash me!

I'll get some frames of my Iowa and Hawaii posted soon - over the back of the farm where I keep kit at I'm sure I've still got a pair of the old Citronic 'timber fronted' bass bins and matching horns too.

Greg

-------------

Date Posted: 20 December 2009 at 11:03am
I've just realised - the original Hawaii console I had looked a little different, unfortuntely I dont have any photos of it and it's long gone to a new home.

It had what may have been an early variation of what becme the SM506 mixer, not seen one like it in any of the photo's posted so far. 

It was very similar to the 506 from the mic controls on the left side right across the four main channel faders then it was different.  Instead of the two led ladder VU's, it had a single 5 or 6 led display laterally across (not an analogue VU i've seen in some images).  

Selecting pfl, wasn't via the little red push buttons of a 506, it was a 5-way rotary switch directly under the led display.

The other main difference was the deck start switches, they werent toggles below the faders, they were over on the righthand side of the mixer , below the 'Hawaii' name and were square grey coloured push-on, push-off non latching switches, each with a red led built in.

Anybody know what this version was, or even have a photo of the mixer?

-------------

Date Posted: 20 December 2009 at 11:34am
Is this the model Greg? the Hawaii popular mk11,with the mm313 mixer? it was a "budget hawaii" being mono....they offered it in both the "popular" case,covered in black vinyl,or in the better wooden-trimmed case.

-------------
Be seeing you.

Date Posted: 20 December 2009 at 12:07pm
JBL_Man - now that's close, but it's not the model I had.

Mine was stereo, and had a 6 channel mixer, four main faders rather than 3 of the MM313 model, covering 2x decks, Tape and Aux.  Also had the seperate left and right master controls (per the Stereo version above).

Deck start switches weren't rockers - they were 'electronic' swiches, non latching push-on, push-off, not as far across as the ones above, but located directly below the Stereo Hawaii logo on the Stereo version you posted.

I'm going to have to rummage my photoboxes sometime over Xmas in the vague hope of a photo or two.

Greg

-------------

Posted By: djeddie
Date Posted: 20 December 2009 at 12:41pm
Sounds like the Mk IV to me. I know I've got a pic somewhere - I'll post it when I can find it.

-------------
Chas n Dave : it's like Drum and Bass but with beards.             E=mc² ±3dB

Date Posted: 20 December 2009 at 12:54pm
djeddie - I don't think it was a MkIV, JBL_man posted a pic of a mkIV on page one, and that version looks to have pfl switches under the faders - tho it does have the single led vu meter.

Mine would have been earlier - probably around the 1976-79 era.

Greg

-------------

Date Posted: 20 December 2009 at 8:11pm
Gaz Thanks for the pics of the SA400`s  they look good and I expect sound pretty good as well

Your SM650 is totally different to mine  Yours looks more like a  larger 550  I will do a pic of mine and post it on here
I may have a cue  switch but would need to see a close up pic of it
I dont have any spare slider or rotary knobs   I need nearly 100 rotary knobs for my mixers It is quite hard to find the ones with the flat edge on the shaft  Most of the modern pots have a  6mm splined shaft

Date Posted: 20 December 2009 at 8:13pm
Originally posted by GregM GregM wrote:

djeddie - I don't think it was a MkIV, JBL_man posted a pic of a mkIV on page one, and that version looks to have pfl switches under the faders - tho it does have the single led vu meter.

Mine would have been earlier - probably around the 1976-79 era.

Greg
Was it a SM330 mixer  there is one on Ebay at the moment in a console

Posted By: mrflibble
Date Posted: 20 December 2009 at 10:35pm

My favourite Citronic console, my Hawaii IV.  This one is in mint condition, original Stanton 500's, still sounds great!  This one has a proper flightcase with Citronic lettering on rather than the purple cardboard box like some others. 

Date Posted: 20 December 2009 at 11:02pm
Thats very tidy. Been well looked after!.

-------------
100% Earth Moving Bass

Date Posted: 21 December 2009 at 12:48am

I bought this a few months ago off Ebay, not sure exactly of the year but judging by the info in other posts at least 20 years old.  The guy I bought it from had hardly ever used it from new, apart from a couple of marks on the wood it could be new.  Only paid £55, was well pleased!

The Hawaii was the console i'd always wanted in the late 80's, was way out of my price range though. I had a Linearsound Tornado then a Saxon Centaur, both were pretty dire looking back, cases made of chipboard, BSR decks made mainly of plastic etc.  At the time I thought they were great but the Citronic gear was in a different league.

Date Posted: 21 December 2009 at 5:04pm
That a beautiful looking Hawaii IV there mrflibble   almost tempted to put that pic as my desktop if you dont mind  
I had one of those Saxon packages , console and 2 speakers  sounded terrible more hiss than music Eventually hooked it up to a Valve Sound City guitar amp  that sounded a lot better and was at least usuable  I think the Linearsound was similiar to the Fal Ranger

Date Posted: 21 December 2009 at 5:10pm
Heres a scan of a page from a 1970`s Disco International magazine  back inside cover I think
Ive done it as big as poss so you can zoom in on it
Shows those lovely CCM   (Calne Cabinet Manufactures) Speakers   They used to do all the woodwork for Citronic  and were just down the road from the Citronic factory  I think I have a pair of the 2 x12" ones  If Andy lets me have them !!!
You can see all the consoles in the pic  even a Delaware never actually seen one before  Everyone seemed to go for the Kansas or Iowa on the big consoles

Date Posted: 21 December 2009 at 8:46pm
[/QUOTE]
Was it a SM330 mixer  there is one on Ebay at the moment in a console [/QUOTE]

Mh - I didn't get to see the SM303 on ebay so can't be sure but, assuming the 303 to be a previous incarnation of the 313, I assume it was a 5 input desk - mine was a 6 input (2 mic, 2 decks, tape and aux) - if anybody's got a pic of a 303 I'd love to see it to be sure.

Am beginning to really panic that I can find a demo pic of the ol' girl somewhere now, but as it would pre-date my photographer career, I fear it may mean delving into the 'whoah, last resort;' of all 40 something blokes - the parental photo archive.......

Greg

-------------

Date Posted: 23 December 2009 at 4:51pm
Originally posted by GregM GregM wrote:

Was it a SM330 mixer  there is one on Ebay at the moment in a console [/QUOTE]

Mh - I didn't get to see the SM303 on ebay so can't be sure but, assuming the 303 to be a previous incarnation of the 313, I assume it was a 5 input desk - mine was a 6 input (2 mic, 2 decks, tape and aux) - if anybody's got a pic of a 303 I'd love to see it to be sure.

Am beginning to really panic that I can find a demo pic of the ol' girl somewhere now, but as it would pre-date my photographer career, I fear it may mean delving into the 'whoah, last resort;' of all 40 something blokes - the parental photo archive.......

Greg
[/QUOTE]
The SM330  was a  6 channel  mixer  heres a pic of the one on Ebay 
I kept emailing the seller to ask if they would send it by a carrier but did not get a reply till too late
Although I love the pics of JBLmans consoles and MrFlibbles one in pristine condition  I also like the well used ones after all thats what they were meant for   You can just imagine the history and amount of gigs these units have done

Date Posted: 23 December 2009 at 5:02pm
A pic of an very well used SM650  This one was from a famous gay club in Hull  cant imagine anyone on here has been there though
Has the optional XF150 crossfade unit as well This mixer does work but needs a few jobs doing also needs a power supply building for it as it needs +/- 15 volts at 1000ma to run it properly  the usual Citronic power supply  is only 300ma
Have found 2 old consoles in the unit today  Popular and severn in a Citronic wooden case  will get some pics done

Date Posted: 24 December 2009 at 1:58pm
Wow,thats some serious wear on that sm650 MH,probually 15years of club use on that one!

Here is rare one,just spotted this on ebay,Citronic Stateline 111 Delaware,resting on its purple carry case.

-------------
Be seeing you.

Date Posted: 24 December 2009 at 5:47pm

Wow,thats some serious wear on that sm650 MH,probually 15years of club use on that one!

Here is rare one,just spotted this on ebay,Citronic Stateline 111 Delaware,resting on its purple carry case.

Whats amasing about this console is not only has the thing lasted prob... close on 30 years the case has too! Just proves just how good Citronic built their equipment!

-------------

Date Posted: 24 December 2009 at 7:33pm

Did you spot the starting bid on that Delaware  £300 ?????????  

I would love that console but cant afford that    I would imagine it is worth around £100 really
The only one I dont have of the big  old consoles

Date Posted: 24 December 2009 at 9:19pm
I don't suppose it'll get any bids at that price so if I was you save the seller then mail him with an offer when the sale ends, I've won loadsa stuff like that? 

-------------

Date Posted: 05 January 2010 at 7:02pm
This Avon II is on ebay at the moment, some serious use on those faders!  Looks like a good restoration project, am tempted myself if the amps work ok!

Date Posted: 05 January 2010 at 7:38pm
Yep,i saw that one,we wants £30 for it? The woodwork looks ok,but im guessing all the pots and faders will be shot..quite a big job to replace all those..will also need belts/styli/mats etc.
Incidentially,it looks like someone has screwed the 45 centre adapter to the left hand side of the mixer!

-------------
Be seeing you.

Date Posted: 05 January 2010 at 8:19pm
Probably more trouble than its worth to replace all that stuff, although i'm sure the amps could be put to good use, 110w per channel I think?

Date Posted: 06 January 2010 at 9:16am
Yes,i think thats the 8ohm rating,so its 2x110w into 8ohms,2x 150w into 4 ohms....as i have said previously,these sound far louder than the figures would suggest.The actual amp modules are very nicely built,each output transistor has its own individual heatsink.

-------------
Be seeing you.

Date Posted: 09 January 2010 at 1:04pm
Avon 11 ,one of the amplifier modules with its cover removed,this is the right hand channel.

-------------
Be seeing you.

Date Posted: 09 January 2010 at 5:19pm
Good little amps in these consoles
I seem to remember the heat given off by these was enough to melt a 12" single if left cued up for too long 
 Must get some more pics up   Just too cold and snow  to venture far here

Date Posted: 09 January 2010 at 8:39pm

Nice pics of those amp modules, look well made.  Possibly not the best designed location though if they get hot enough to warp vinyl!

Date Posted: 10 January 2010 at 4:40pm
Heres a  pic on something I am working on at the moment
The power amp sections from a  ?  console 
I wonder who can guess which one   I estimate the power to be around 200 watts per channel
The amps are very similair to the PPX450 ouput stage with 3 x k134 and 3 J49 mosfets

Date Posted: 10 January 2010 at 6:27pm
Citronic stateline maybe? Looks like a big enough console to fit those boards into.

-------------
100% Earth Moving Bass

Date Posted: 10 January 2010 at 7:13pm
No  not the Stateline Im afraid

Date Posted: 10 January 2010 at 7:52pm
Are they out of a Thames?

Date Posted: 10 January 2010 at 8:25pm
Originally posted by mrflibble mrflibble wrote:

Are they out of a Thames?
Nope fraid not
Heres a Thames 2 amp module from the left side of the console

Date Posted: 10 January 2010 at 8:28pm
While I have the disc out of the Thames pic
There is a PPX300 with its top off on there

Date Posted: 10 January 2010 at 8:39pm
Which way are those boards mounted? vertical or horizontal?

-------------
100% Earth Moving Bass

Date Posted: 10 January 2010 at 8:40pm
Oh,and I'd like a PPX 300!

-------------
100% Earth Moving Bass

Date Posted: 10 January 2010 at 10:02pm
I'm stuck now if they're not out of a Stateline or a Thames, they cant be out of a powered Popular can they?

Date Posted: 10 January 2010 at 10:13pm
Thanks for posting those photos MH,allways wanted to see the inside of a ppx300,its the only one i havnt got....interesting to see they use plastic output devices instead of the metal TO3 case ones in larger models.
By the way,the photo of the Thames amp module is identical to the Avon 11,i allways assumed the Thames had a bigger more powerful amp,but looking at that photo its the same.

-------------
Be seeing you.

Date Posted: 10 January 2010 at 10:55pm
Hmm.. Those are big boards compared to those out of the thames which is what made me think that if they were mounted vertically they must have come out of quite a tall console like the stateline. Unless they are mounted horizontally in which case I've no idea!

-------------
100% Earth Moving Bass

Date Posted: 10 January 2010 at 11:06pm

While I have the disc out of the Thames pic
There is a PPX300 with its top off on there

First time I've seen the insides of a 300 too. I was expecting to see a fan behind the front grille on this like its bigger brothers, but I see its convection cooled. Also I dont think I've ever seen a headphone socket on a PA amp before!

I'd like one of these to have a play with! like JBL man, the 300 is the only one I haven't got out of the old PPX range. I wonder if its as good and sounds as nice as the others?

-------------
100% Earth Moving Bass

Posted By: imageoven
Date Posted: 11 January 2010 at 10:58am
Nice sized caps in the ppx 300.

I know someone with one or two of these, if anyone is keen enough I'll happily pass on any offers? (I know ones still working as I replaced the bridge rectifier in it last weekend, not sure about the second one though)

Posted By: burningbush
Date Posted: 11 January 2010 at 11:39am
There is one on fleabay just the now:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150402895979&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150402895979&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Keep missing out on the ppx 450's, desperate for a pair for high duties.

-------------
music is the message

Date Posted: 11 January 2010 at 12:17pm

I'm stuck now if they're not out of a Stateline or a Thames, they cant be out of a powered Popular can they?
Im not sure how they were mounted  I got them as they are with are in the pic  also the mixer and a box of pieces of metal
I will put you out of your misery as I dont think anyone will guess

They were in a Kennet Console   which is basically a Trent 2  with central mounted mixer  and Technics sL1200 or 1210 turntables   There wernt many built  I think the pieces I have were a prototype from Citronics   as you can see on one of the chassis`s  they are damaged heatsinks where I am told they were thrown in a skip outside the factory when It closed down

Oh I wish I could have been there !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For a pic of a Trent console  see the scan of a catalogue earlier in this posting
I believe the Kennet was built onto a stand and the amps and  CD player was built underneath the main part

Date Posted: 11 January 2010 at 12:29pm

Thanks for posting those photos MH,allways wanted to see the inside of a ppx300,its the only one i havnt got....interesting to see they use plastic output devices instead of the metal TO3 case ones in larger models.
By the way,the photo of the Thames amp module is identical to the Avon 11,i allways assumed the Thames had a bigger more powerful amp,but looking at that photo its the same.
My pleasure   Note the use of 6 op devices per channel   to get 150 watts  of power like you said before well built and  built to last a lifetime
I agree the amp in the Thames does look like the one in the Avon   My Avons are still in the Uk at the moment so havent had a look inside one yet
I have some more pics of the PPX300 and will post a pic of the Tennent mixer later on

I believe a Tennent was on ebay last year and sold for around £5,000   wish I had all of it

I am going to build those 2 chassis inside a dead 3U PPX 600 case the phase 2 style amps Ive got loads of these with problems with the hybrid boards  so they are virtual useless really  Shame as I have one of those Chyrsls entertainment ones that works good and sounds exellent  But if it ever goes wrong  ????

Date Posted: 11 January 2010 at 12:34pm
I dont recall ever seeing a powered Trent MH,it would have been very expensive,as the basic Trent was £1650 new....add the approx. cost of a ppx450 and some extra stands and hardware and it would come out at around £2500,and would probually have weighed like an elephant as well,maybe it was a prototype for the install market?

It was around that time that most of the clubs were ditching Citronic and going with the higher-end Formula Sound and Matamp mixers,so maybe Citronic were intending this to compete on the same level? I wonder if an intact one survives anywhere?

Edit..opps,just seen this.
"i  believe a Tennent was on ebay last year and sold for around £5,000"

Wish i had seen the photos of that.

-------------
Be seeing you.

Date Posted: 11 January 2010 at 1:38pm

Im not sure how they were mounted  I got them as they are with are in the pic  also the mixer and a box of pieces of metal

I will put you out of your misery as I dont think anyone will guess

They were in a Tennent Console   which is basically a Trent 2  with central mounted mixer  and Technics sL1200 or 1210 turntables   There wernt many built  I think the pieces I have were a prototype from Citronics   as you can see on one of the chassis`s  they are damaged heatsinks where I am told they were thrown in a skip outside the factory when It closed down

Oh I wish I could have been there !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For a pic of a Trent console  see the scan of a catalogue earlier in this posting

I believe the Tennent was built onto a stand and the amps and  CD player was built underneath the main part

Well I'd never have got that one! And yeah I'd have been straight into that citronic skip too!

-------------
100% Earth Moving Bass

Date Posted: 11 January 2010 at 1:44pm
Originally posted by imageoven imageoven wrote:

Nice sized caps in the ppx 300.I know someone with one or two of these, if anyone is keen enough I'll happily pass on any offers? (I know ones still working as I replaced the bridge rectifier in it last weekend, not sure about the second one though)

I'd be interested in one, dont know what these are worth so dont really know what a reasonable offer would be?

-------------
100% Earth Moving Bass

Date Posted: 11 January 2010 at 5:51pm

I dont recall ever seeing a powered Trent MH,it would have been very expensive,as the basic Trent was £1650 new....add the approx. cost of a ppx450 and some extra stands and hardware and it would come out at around £2500,and would probually have weighed like an elephant as well,maybe it was a prototype for the install market?

It was around that time that most of the clubs were ditching Citronic and going with the higher-end Formula Sound and Matamp mixers,so maybe Citronic were intending this to compete on the same level? I wonder if an intact one survives anywhere?

Edit..opps,just seen this.
"i  believe a Tennent was on ebay last year and sold for around £5,000"

Wish i had seen the photos of that.
Heres the page from the catalogue with the Trent II 
The mixer is identical to the Tenent

Date Posted: 11 January 2010 at 5:53pm
Am I right in thinking theres another PPX in the range possibly a 150?

-------------
100% Earth Moving Bass

Date Posted: 11 January 2010 at 6:39pm
Yes, Gaz,ppx150. 2x75w little 1u amp....same style as the bigger ones,black case,orange printing on the front.No handles,no fan.

-------------
Be seeing you.

Date Posted: 11 January 2010 at 6:46pm
Yeah I thought so, cant remember where I saw it and cant seem to find any pics on the net. Be interesting to find one, then I'd have the entire ppx family. Sad aren't I!

-------------
100% Earth Moving Bass

Date Posted: 11 January 2010 at 8:16pm
Originally posted by GAZ. GAZ. wrote:

Am I right in thinking theres another PPX in the range possibly a 150?
No there is a 300,450,900,1200 and a 1600

You may be thinking of the H/H VX150  2 x 75watts or V150 mono 150 watt

Date Posted: 11 January 2010 at 8:25pm
First apolgies to all
The Console  amps mixer etc I have been talking about is NOT a Tennent but a KENNET  keeping in the rivers theme  I have just looked at the mixer   I dont know where I got the Tennet bit from  age I guess  didnt they make a Tennet lager  maybe I had too much   Anyway pics of Kennet and Trent II mixers  You can see they are the same  

Date Posted: 11 January 2010 at 8:45pm
Just found this while searching for a pic of a Kennet console  on Google

Origins of the name Citronic

Manufacturing began in founder Richard Wadman's garage in the English town called Bromham. Being in a small village, Wadman's house existed on a plot of land that did not have a street name. The house was built on "Site 2" on a designated plot of building land. It became known therefore only as Site 2 which, through usage, came to be called "cittoe". Eventually the address became Cittoe, with no number. When Wadman registered the company he combined his house name and a shorten form of "electronic" to form Citronic

Posted By: djeddie
Date Posted: 11 January 2010 at 10:10pm
Mhamplification, do you own an anorak by any chance?
(sorry, couldn't resist it)

-------------
Chas n Dave : it's like Drum and Bass but with beards.             E=mc² ±3dB

Date Posted: 12 January 2010 at 3:41pm
Originally posted by djeddie djeddie wrote:

Mhamplification, do you own an anorak by any chance?
(sorry, couldn't resist it)

Yes I have got one its got a hoody on it for when I go out mugging DJ`s

Date Posted: 12 January 2010 at 5:05pm
The PPX150....these are quite rare MH,which is why you may have thought there wasnt one...they made them from around 1994-94,and only for a couple of years.
Power is 2x 75w into 4ohms.

Sorry for the bad photo,will try and find a better one. the ppx150 is the top one,the ppx300 is bottom.

-------------
Be seeing you.

Date Posted: 12 January 2010 at 8:02pm
quite correct Jblman  Didnt think there was a Mk1 in a 150
 Just been looking through some old catalogues found these I guess this is where you got the pic of the Mk 2 150 and 300 Never seen one or the 300 Batmink price list from 1998 shows it at £440 the 150 that is
Do you remember the PEC amps based on the Conquest range I had a 1600 that I threw away a few years ago as it had a knackered mains transformer Wish now I had kept it

Date Posted: 22 January 2010 at 2:12pm
Hawaii Mk 3,this is the one with the single VU meter.

-------------
Be seeing you.

Posted By: Blackvinyl
Date Posted: 31 January 2010 at 5:37pm
Hi guys, what an awasome thread! The memories these pictures have brought flooding is in incredible. I've still got the 506 mixer from my Iowa on a shelf, still working. It was modified several years ago as one of the Ferranti op amps went down on one of deck channels and everywhere I tried, including the factory in Melksham, told me they were obsolete. So now all four faders run line level and just used two in line turntable pre amps, no one would ever know (LOL). I seem to remember my Iowa was loaded with an LU 400 CitroniC light controller, not NJD's like in the picture at the start of this thread, is my memory playing tricks?

Can anyone help? I'm currently restoring an 80's Powered Avon with the SM 330 like in the Hawaii Mk 3 picture above and I'm having trouble cross referencing the original faded components with modern equivalents. Does anyone know of any  original circuit diagrams, I am hoping these may detail the indivual componet values? 

Best Regards
BV

Posted By: kedwardsleisure
Date Posted: 31 January 2010 at 6:31pm
I have the citronic schematics on blueprint at work, will try to scan them if poss, pm me ur email address.

-------------
K. Edwards Electronics Engineers

North Staffordshire

Date Posted: 01 February 2010 at 5:46pm
Originally posted by Blackvinyl Blackvinyl wrote:

Hi guys, what an awasome thread! The memories these pictures have brought flooding is in incredible. I've still got the 506 mixer from my Iowa on a shelf, still working. It was modified several years ago as one of the Ferranti op amps went down on one of deck channels and everywhere I tried, including the factory in Melksham, told me they were obsolete. So now all four faders run line level and just used two in line turntable pre amps, no one would ever know (LOL). I seem to remember my Iowa was loaded with an LU 400 CitroniC light controller, not NJD's like in the picture at the start of this thread, is my memory playing tricks?

Can anyone help? I'm currently restoring an 80's Powered Avon with the SM 330 like in the Hawaii Mk 3 picture above and I'm having trouble cross referencing the original faded components with modern equivalents. Does anyone know of any  original circuit diagrams, I am hoping these may detail the indivual componet values? 

Best Regards
BV
Hi
I think the older mixers used a 747 ic that is a  quad amp in a 14pin case   I have replaced these with a LM324 which are readily available

I think you are right the LU 400 was fitted as  optional extra on the Iowa console
Mine has been fitted later with The NJD thing

There is a circuit daigram for the SM506 mixer online also a couple more  old bits on there
http://www.eserviceinfo.com/downloadsm/45763/Citronic_SM506DJ.html - http://www.eserviceinfo.com/downloadsm/45763/Citronic_SM506DJ.html

I am looking for a SM330 mixer if you know of one going

Posted By: imageoven
Date Posted: 01 February 2010 at 8:00pm
I might be able to help you with a sm330, I'll have a rumage in the store tomorrow, pm me if I don't get back to you.

Date Posted: 01 February 2010 at 8:21pm
Thanks for that, at least I'm not going completely mad! I've been looking for some old pictures of the Iowa I'm sure I've got some somewhere. It use to sound really impressive with 4 of the CitroniC  18" bass bins and 4 of the CitroniC 2 X 12's and a pair of horns, just like those in the CitroniC brochure earlier in this thread, all driven by the "on board" amps and and couple P100/100 daisy chained together. No active cross overs in those days, that was real "plug & play"!

I'll put some pictures of the current  project, SM 330 from the Avon, up here when I work out how to, still new to all this stuff! Remember I'm now offically "an old git" cus I still prefer vinyl and nab carts to CD's and MP3's!

Thank for the link and info on the SM 506......... although I don't plan to return it to its original spec with the LM324 any time soon, but you never know..........

I've got ex-BBC Audix MT 1000 broadcast desk waiting in the wings for some serious TLC before that.

I'll keep my eyes open for a SM 330, what sort of condition are you looking for, like new or for spares?  

Cheers
BV

Date Posted: 01 February 2010 at 8:52pm

I'll keep my eyes open for a SM 330, what sort of condition are you looking for, like new or for spares?  

Cheers
BV
Any condition really cheaper the better
Thanks

Posted By: 2x18
Date Posted: 02 February 2010 at 9:40pm
on e-bay now 

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/citronic-themes-two-micro-proformer-twin-deck-unit_W0QQitemZ170439631580QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Turntables?hash=item27aefe62dc#ht_500wt_1182 - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/citronic-themes-two-micro-proformer-twin-deck-unit_W0QQitemZ170439631580QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Turntables?hash=item27aefe62dc#ht_500wt_1182

-------------
just a old dj

Date Posted: 04 February 2010 at 8:29pm
With all this CitroniC knowledge available, can anyone help? The restoration of the Avon console is coming on well but I've run into a problem! This is an early powered Avon, very late 70's early 80's I think, fitted with Garrard Disco Driver 80 decks, NOT the CitroniC badged decks. Both of these have damaged cart slides, badly cracked with bits missing and I'm not having much luck finding replacements. I think these decks use the Garrard C2 slide, can anyone confirm this and know if they are still available in the UK. The only place I've found them listed is with company in the states and they want a fortune plus postage!

When I work out why I can't upload pictures I'll put some up on here of the restoration if anyone is interested.
Cheers
BV  

Date Posted: 04 February 2010 at 8:59pm

With all this CitroniC knowledge available, can anyone help? The restoration of the Avon console is coming on well but I've run into a problem! This is an early powered Avon, very late 70's early 80's I think, fitted with Garrard Disco Driver 80 decks, NOT the CitroniC badged decks. Both of these have damaged cart slides, badly cracked with bits missing and I'm not having much luck finding replacements. I think these decks use the Garrard C2 slide, can anyone confirm this and know if they are still available in the UK. The only place I've found them listed is with company in the states and they want a fortune plus postage!

When I work out why I can't upload pictures I'll put some up on here of the restoration if anyone is interested.
Cheers
BV  
I havent seen any of these cartridge slides for sale for years  They are a real pain anyway  I remember always one channel would cut out mid song so you had to switch to mono on the mixer
I did make a sort of bodge to one  carefully solder little wires across to the tone arm  and if the slide is broken use a couple of tiny cable ties to secure them
I seem to remember as well the belts would fall off at the most akward times as well
I think the later Citronic turntables are hardwired anyway

You have to post your pics on a host such as Photobucket then link to the pic on here It is hard to sort out the first time but once you have got the hang of it it is easy really

Posted By: kedwardsleisure
Date Posted: 04 February 2010 at 9:32pm
I've a nasty feeling I have the headshells, slides and Pickering cartridges in some dusty corner somewhere.

-------------
K. Edwards Electronics Engineers

North Staffordshire

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net