URL: https://forum.speakerplans.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=34580
Printed Date: 19 March 2024 at 6:42am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Actually Building a PC
Posted By: bassmish
Subject: Actually Building a PC
Date Posted: 12 January 2010 at 8:19pm
thought I'd start a new topic...

basically I've got all my components either arrived or on their way and now it's pretty much the case of plugging it all together (desktop)

I guess I need to be careful of static when touching anything, but all I can think of is, be naked (avoiding static from jumpers etc) or wire myself to the cold tap in the bathroom.

Other than that, just thought I'd ask if anyone has any tips before I start so I don't blow anything up!? I have to dismantle what's inside the old computer I'm ransacking for the tower/dvd drive first so I'll get an idea of where things should go hopefully. but any advise you have before I start would be great!

order of plugging things in???

cheeeers :)

Replies:
Posted By: joshd963
Date Posted: 12 January 2010 at 8:29pm
you can get anti static wristbands and stuff which i would advise.

putting it together:

get your case, screw in motherboard, attach power supply, attach processor&fan, attach RAM... and then take it from there... thats how i do it.

Date Posted: 12 January 2010 at 8:37pm
oh cheers man,
if you think the wristband is worth it I'll pop into maplin and get one, they have em for £6 which I guess is worth it for protecting the kit.

just blew sooooo much money on this dubmachine.

actually when you say fan. is that the one for the processor? (is there such a thing) I'm sure mine said it comes with one, but I'm not sure cos that hasn't arrived yet and I haven't checked inside the old desktop to see if there's one going spare.

Date Posted: 12 January 2010 at 8:46pm
yes i would say its definitely worth it as its easy to fry equipment before you put it in.. i have before :(

yep the processor fan... definitely should come with a stock fan.

so.. what are you getting? :)

snazzy or modest?

Posted By: subbass
Date Posted: 12 January 2010 at 8:57pm
get the static wristband .. Ive never used them when building PCs, and i had my fingers all over everything. Then again I was probably lucky!

One tip: Make sure that the PSU is switched to 240v. Oh and never turn anything on if its meant to have a fan / heatsink and doesnt..

Date Posted: 12 January 2010 at 9:05pm
ok wicked. I'll pick one up.

thanks very much for your advise, I'll let you know how it works. will probs go for the build this weekend when I've got some good free time to not rush it.

I'm getting an AMD Phenom II X4 955 quad core bad buoy with a gigabyte something motherboard with almost every connection possible.

I'M VERY EXCITED! :)

Posted By: Spesh
Date Posted: 12 January 2010 at 9:12pm
Originally posted by bassmish bassmish wrote:

ok wicked. I'll pick one up.

thanks very much for your advise, I'll let you know how it works. will probs go for the build this weekend when I've got some good free time to not rush it.

I'm getting an AMD Phenom II X4 955 quad core bad buoy with a gigabyte something motherboard with almost every connection possible.

I'M VERY EXCITED! :)

I have that processor.....it's pretty decent. Can be overclocked to 4ghz aswell if you have the right motherboard. Although this will require better cooling.

Date Posted: 12 January 2010 at 9:17pm
hmmm. dunno if I've be doing any of this overclocking business yet.
nice to know someone else is using it too tho. what motherboard are you using?

I've got slight worries about the old DVD/CD drives not fitting if it's the wrong connections. but I guess they aren't expensive, so can always get one if they don't work.

unfortunately I ran out of money before I could buy a fatty screen so for now I'm left with a really small old one. worse things have happened tho! it's all good :)

Date Posted: 12 January 2010 at 9:32pm

My motherboard is an MSI NF980-G65. Did you go for an AM3 board is does it use an AM2 socket?

Date Posted: 12 January 2010 at 9:46pm
snazzy stuff =)

mish - the cd/dvd should fit fine - they all use some pretty standard connections :)

Date Posted: 12 January 2010 at 9:47pm
OH PS if you dont have enough like connections to go to all your components from your power supply, ive got a few splitters you can have... 

if this doesnt make sense right now it should do once you start connecting it all together :)

Date Posted: 12 January 2010 at 10:42pm
it's that:

GIGABYTE MOTHERBOARD MA785GMT-UD2H AM3 / AM2+ / AM2 DDR3 MATX

says it supports AM3 processors, not really sure what that means tbh, but I know it works with the one I bought.

not really sure why I went for thew micro one in the end, it just suited all my needs and was fairly cheap so I decided to go for it. and it had pretty good reviews.

josh that's very kind regarding the splitter thing. I'll see how things go. Also good use of 'mish'! I like dat!! :)

thanks for the advice.... wish me luck!!!

Date Posted: 12 January 2010 at 10:52pm

Posted By: b3n
Date Posted: 14 January 2010 at 4:17pm
I dont think I have ever used an anti-static wristband in years of building PC's
Might explain why I have had parts die on me though!

-------------
Matrix XP3000H, Thomann TA1050, Peavey CS1400, QSC RMX1450
2 x Eminence Kappa and PSD2002 loaded x15's
2 x SN-15MB and BM-D450 loaded X15's
2 x V18-1000 loaded 1850's
Behringer DCX2496

Posted By: odc04r
Date Posted: 14 January 2010 at 4:28pm
I just touch a grounded point (radiator pipe etc) before I start and don't build them in carpet covered rooms Smile

Posted By: Admin
Date Posted: 14 January 2010 at 5:30pm
I do have anti static wrist bands in my tool kit, but never use them.

I do the same as odc04r stay away from carpets and sometimes if I remember touch a grounding point.

Considering I am often taking apart £5,000 plus servers I really should start wearing one.

Posted By: norty303
Date Posted: 14 January 2010 at 5:36pm
Same here, never used an antistatic band.

I normally install the PSU first, and then plug it into the power socket but turned off. You now have the case grounded. I just make sure I touch the case periodically whilst working, but as you're normally rooting round inside anyway, it's fairly hard not to ground yourself. I've never killed a component so it must work....

-------------
My laser stuff: http://www.facebook.com/SubsonicSystems" rel="nofollow - Frikkin Lasers

Date Posted: 14 January 2010 at 5:58pm
that's what I would have done norty

got me a wristband today tho, to be on the safeside. although I can'T SAY i really understand how it's gonna be any help...

I wish the postman would hurry up and bring me the rest of my dubmachine!

Posted By: Calculus
Date Posted: 15 January 2010 at 8:21am
do you not need heat sink compound when fitting the fan to the processor???

Date Posted: 15 January 2010 at 8:47am
Originally posted by Calculus Calculus wrote:

do you not need heat sink compound when fitting the fan to the processor???
Should come with that on it.. The White stuff you mean?

Date Posted: 15 January 2010 at 10:47am
Most coolers will come with a heat compound pad preapplied. Performance is not usually as good compared to if you were to remove it (scrape it off + acetone) and reapply a smaller amount of higher quality paste I find. Certainly does work though.

Date Posted: 15 January 2010 at 11:08am
cool just wondered.. the white stuff is apparently a silver oxide paste.... I reset the prossessor in my laptop with some and cleaned the fan best thing i ever did with the laptop after two n half years it was full o dust...made it run like new again.

Date Posted: 15 January 2010 at 11:09am
same stuff between chips on amps and the main heatsink if you ever wondered what the white gloop is.

Date Posted: 18 January 2010 at 2:19pm
aargh!

I just got my mother board and precessor, so I'm gonna start uilding right away!

BUT.. I have no keyboard!!

bugger

Posted By: Saul
Date Posted: 18 January 2010 at 2:32pm

aargh!

I just got my mother board and precessor, so I'm gonna start uilding right away!

BUT.. I have no keyboard!!

bugger

tescos do one for about £4! Big smile

Date Posted: 18 January 2010 at 3:33pm
I've ordered a wireless one but it hasn't arrived... if I can find one for £3 and it's all put together then I'll just get it for the time being. but I think I'm gonna have some questions about pluggin things in in the next couple hours. there's a lot of cables that aren't jacks so I don't understand them!

Date Posted: 18 January 2010 at 7:36pm
yo. is it possible to have the psu at the wrong voltage for all psus cos I can't see anywhere on minie where I could change it!?

Date Posted: 18 January 2010 at 7:41pm
also. when connecting the 'reset' 'power' hard drive etc lights for the front how do I know which way to put em cos they'll go both ways. they say ksp on them, does thing indicate negative or positive or something?

Date Posted: 18 January 2010 at 8:04pm
aaargh!

there's so many cables and I don't know what they do!!!!

Date Posted: 18 January 2010 at 8:07pm

also. when connecting the 'reset' 'power' hard drive etc lights for the front how do I know which way to put em cos they'll go both ways. they say ksp on them, does thing indicate negative or positive or something?

surely a bulb isnt directional. 

or are they diodes? 

Date Posted: 18 January 2010 at 8:13pm
that's what i thought. think leds. but I don't wanna bugger anyting up

Date Posted: 20 January 2010 at 10:00pm
I AM SPEAKING TO YOU THROUGH MY NEW DUBMACHINE!!!! WHOOOOOOY :)

THANKS VERY MUCH FOR YOUR HELP AND ADVICE

SO FAR, ALL IS IN ORDER AND RUNNING SMOOTHLY (FINGERS CROSSED)

CHEERS

Date Posted: 20 January 2010 at 10:01pm

I AM SPEAKING TO YOU THROUGH MY NEW DUBMACHINE!!!! WHOOOOOOY :)

THANKS VERY MUCH FOR YOUR HELP AND ADVICE

SO FAR, ALL IS IN ORDER AND RUNNING SMOOTHLY (FINGERS CROSSED)

CHEERS

I think you've got a broken caps lock on your new keyboard mate!

Date Posted: 20 January 2010 at 10:02pm
LOL

Date Posted: 20 January 2010 at 10:05pm

Date Posted: 20 January 2010 at 10:11pm
nice one:D

Date Posted: 20 January 2010 at 10:24pm
Nice one ham, i look foward to hearing some fresh tunes out of it. 

Date Posted: 21 January 2010 at 11:21am
might be a while. loads of programs don't work with windows 64 bit??? very annoying, had to find 'alternative' downloads for loads of things, including msn messenger!!!?.... what the hell

it's damn fast tho!

Date Posted: 21 January 2010 at 11:56am
Try pidgin as a replacement for msn messenger, you won't go back to the ad loaded crapfest that is the official msn client.

I do not know if there is a 64 bit compatible version but I expect there is.

Date Posted: 21 January 2010 at 6:21pm
I managed to find a version for 64 bit but it's pretty annoying. got other problems with other programs as well tho that's I('m finding harder to fix. now trying to remember why I'm using 64 bit!!

Date Posted: 21 January 2010 at 6:41pm
windows 7 64 bit?

All my 32bit programs work with it! Including Proengineer, which if it has an opportunity to break .. will

Posted By: Humble Tafari
Date Posted: 21 January 2010 at 8:05pm
Just be careful when inserting the processor.  It can only go in one way. And if your forcing it, then it is not lined up correctly. Having a good pair of eyes and/or Magnifying glass dome can be helpful.

Oh....and did i say, be very careful when inserting the processor.

Same applies to the Ram boards.

respeks.

PS, i personally never used an anti-stataic wriststrap.

But i guess its good to have.

-------------
Liberate the minds of men, and you will ultimately liberate the bodies of men - Marcus Mosiah Garvey

Date Posted: 21 January 2010 at 9:17pm
Originally posted by subbass subbass wrote:

windows 7 64 bit?
All my 32bit programs work with it! Including Proengineer, which if it has an opportunity to break .. will

xp

Date Posted: 21 January 2010 at 9:19pm
Originally posted by Humble Tafari Humble Tafari wrote:

Just be careful when inserting the processor.  It can only go in one way. And if your forcing it, then it is not lined up correctly. Having a good pair of eyes and/or Magnifying glass dome can be helpful.
Oh....and did i say, be very careful when inserting the processor.
Same applies to the Ram boards.
respeks.
PS, i personally never used an anti-stataic wriststrap.
But i guess its good to have.

done it already, she's up and running. but thanks for the advice all the same.

the cooler bit that sits on top of the processor looked like a jet engine. was well cool. has loads of copper pipes on it and looks like it could be some kind of crazy water cooling system

Date Posted: 21 January 2010 at 9:41pm

windows 7 64 bit?

xp

Ermm windows 7 64 bit would have been my best bet - I've never had good luck with XP64..

Good luck with it - /should/ all be working fine, why not go for 32bit windows? As far as i know, XP64 was never really used that much......

Date Posted: 21 January 2010 at 9:51pm
only problem that may occur to general users when using 32bit is that the max RAM is 3.25gb

Date Posted: 21 January 2010 at 10:32pm
Originally posted by joshd963 joshd963 wrote:

only problem that may occur to general users when using 32bit is that the max RAM is 3.25gb

Not if you enable memory hole remapping.

But I see what you're saying. 32 bit OS's only support up to 4GB's of RAM. Shouldn't really be a problem for most people though.

Date Posted: 22 January 2010 at 9:37am

windows 7 64 bit?

xp

Ermm windows 7 64 bit would have been my best bet - I've never had good luck with XP64..

Good luck with it - /should/ all be working fine, why not go for 32bit windows? As far as i know, XP64 was never really used that much......

This x(a lot). Never had any joy with xp 64, far too much hassle to get apps for it. You will be wanting windows 7 or 64 bit Ubuntu tbh.

Date Posted: 22 January 2010 at 12:00pm
I've got everything running that I need running, apart from 1 samplebank which won't work, and also my audio converter won't work, but I have many many other sample banks, and lots of other ways to convert audio, so I'm happy for the time being. It works, which is more than could be said for my previous computers!!

Posted By: jonminns
Date Posted: 22 January 2010 at 4:15pm
But xp 32 bit on !

-------------
4 ohms is for wimps

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2023 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net