Print Page | Close Window

What Is The Best Filler?

Printed From:
Category: Plans
Forum Name: 1850 and 186 horns
Forum Description: Discussion / Questions about the 1850 and 186 horns
Printed Date: 02 March 2024 at 10:44pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 -

Topic: What Is The Best Filler?
Posted By: _banksy_
Subject: What Is The Best Filler?
Date Posted: 14 March 2010 at 2:56pm
Hey all,

I am building a pair of 186 Horns and due to some warped plywood some gaps need filling!!

Now I understand these Horns shall be exposed to extreme vibrations! So whats the best filler to use? I have made one mix of fine Plywood shavings mixed with wood glue into a thick paste but maybe there is a better option out there? I intend to paint over the filler with Tuff cab paint.

Any input appreciated, cheers. Will


Posted By: Ryan94
Date Posted: 14 March 2010 at 3:01pm
i just use normal wood filler and it seems to work fine. but Ive herd that car body filler is ment to be good. i did try the shavings and glue idea once but took ages to sand down so never used it again.

Posted By: cravings
Date Posted: 14 March 2010 at 3:27pm
yeah most on here use car body filler. isopon p38 is one, i used that for a while.. there's cheaper ones.. u-pol or something i think is cheaper, and i haven't noticed a difference.

i'm thinking of trying to add some pigment to filler to make it black or at least darker. it can take quite a few coats of paint to disguise it.

Posted By: Pirlo
Date Posted: 15 March 2010 at 12:16am
Good thread, got a question about it as well.
More about filling paste in a cabinet but should match the topic.

In wich way the "structure" of the filler effects the audio-signal in the cabinet!?
It's better/necessary to haul the material after hardened?

Ask because got - exvibration (glassfiber/bitumen-stuff) left from my last car-audio-constructions and when a rough surface (thats what ya got after drying)is no problem for the "air-flow" than it should be ideal to seal up the birch-ply-carbinet.

What do ya think!? thanks in advance...

Posted By: _banksy_
Date Posted: 22 March 2010 at 5:03pm
I used U-Pol EasyLite, its the same as isopol but a bit cheaper. its fantastic! creates a really strong joint


Posted By: rich_gale
Date Posted: 22 March 2010 at 6:50pm
imo big gaps need filling with a thin piece of ply cut to slide into the gap and glued.  p38/p40 wont be great on joins because it wont actually bond the wood together.  sawdust/pva will work as well.

REFLEX ALL THE WAY.... (however, im playing with horns again...) That ok Mister Valiant? :)

Posted By: _banksy_
Date Posted: 22 March 2010 at 7:21pm
Yeah its obviously not for joining the wood, just filling the small gap on the outside edges of angled joints, the woodglue / shavings is what i use for any large gaps.


Posted By: Bryan M
Date Posted: 24 March 2010 at 9:12pm
Love the search function on this site, sooooo much useful info at your finger tips.

I had a crowd barrier take some pretty nasty chunks out of my psychos a month ago and i want to make them look like new again before the next time i take them out.

By the looks of it isopon 38 seems like a popular choice. Where is the best place to buy it cheaply from online?


Posted By: cravings
Date Posted: 24 March 2010 at 9:40pm
dunno online. i buy it from car places (motor factors).

Posted By: _banksy_
Date Posted: 26 March 2010 at 7:58pm
Halfords its cheap enough, u-pol easylite is cheaper and does the exact same thing


Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.06 -
Copyright ©2001-2023 Web Wiz Ltd. -