Forum Description: Help and discussion about your manly PC or girly Mac
URL: https://forum.speakerplans.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=37739
Printed Date: 20 April 2024 at 5:38pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Windows 95
Posted By: The Builder
Subject: Windows 95
Date Posted: 31 March 2010 at 11:04pm

Just had an old box to salvage for an old gent. Got a bespoke DOS model plane program on it. Refuses to run on 2k/xp so stuck the drive in a p3 1000 unit, 256ram. Totally different chipset yet booted fine. An hour finding/messing with drivers/USB patch etc.

Oh my God, Windows 95 and Office 97. This thing flys, boots in seconds, opens word in a blink.

Progress eh, quad core 4gb monster in the workshop seems like a slug.

What happed Microsoft, why did you bloat soCry

For writing letters etc I'm almost tempted to build myself one.

-------------
It just is.

Replies:
Posted By: illuminate
Date Posted: 31 March 2010 at 11:10pm

I still miss Windows 98 SE! Cry I bet DOS would be dangerously fast!

-------------
Sound is analogue, get over it!

Posted By: jbl_man
Date Posted: 01 April 2010 at 4:04pm
Ditto that,got an old Panasonic toughbook running 98se,still works fine,and opens everything fast.

-------------
Be seeing you.

Posted By: madboffin
Date Posted: 01 April 2010 at 10:58pm
Originally posted by jbl_man jbl_man wrote:

Ditto that,got an old Panasonic toughbook running 98se,still works fine,and opens everything fast.

Ha ha, I'm still using 98SE on my main machine. Broadband modem works fine via a network card, Firefox 2 and Opera 10 run nicely. And a generic driver got my USB sticks and memory card reader working.  It does everything I need, so why change?

I run a few DOS programs and, yes, they are ridiculously fast having been designed to run in 640k of RAM  on 5Mhz processor...

When I get a new computer I'll be going with Ubuntu.

Posted By: soundguymatt
Date Posted: 02 April 2010 at 12:17am
i got meself an old laptop with a 2000 licensce, will be using that for giging and editing parameters ect. should go at lightspeed compared to a bloated xp/vista/win7

Posted By: Rockin
Date Posted: 02 April 2010 at 10:20am
Win 2000 is a very good OS. Runs stuff lots faster than XP/Vista. Used it for years, might have to dig it out and install on one of my machines

Posted By: levyte357
Date Posted: 02 April 2010 at 11:00am
XPSP3 still rules.

You just need to know how to really tune it up.... E.g, turning off  unecessary services, disabling unecessary startups.

on 3.0ghz HT CPU, + 2Gb of DDR2 800, Intel Chipset, SATA HD, XP Flies.

95/98SE Dont have decent raid/striping support, under XP stripe your main HDs, or put system and data on different HDs, and it's welcome to NASCAR.

95/98SE Also wont utilise advanced features on multi core CPUs...

Need I go on? LOL

-------------
"Who am I? I'm the guy who does his job.. You must be the other guy".

Posted By: jbl_man
Date Posted: 02 April 2010 at 11:38am

Ray,what do you recommend turning off at start-up on XP service pack3? go into msconfig,it lists the start-up item menu,whats the best ones to disable?

cheers.

-------------
Be seeing you.

Posted By: levyte357
Date Posted: 02 April 2010 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by jbl_man jbl_man wrote:

Ray,what do you recommend turning off at start-up on XP service pack3? go into msconfig,it lists the start-up item menu,whats the best ones to disable?

cheers.

PM sent...

-------------
"Who am I? I'm the guy who does his job.. You must be the other guy".

Date Posted: 02 April 2010 at 8:14pm
Ray, running everything turned off in XP on a mental machine wouldn't come close the the word processing speed of this 95 box. It won't do much else agreed, but the boot time and word opening time is just light years ahead of anything 2000 or XP.
 Agreed though, XP SP3 hard to beat for general machine if it's right, although 2000 sp4 is fine with a few addons, msconfig being the first as it doesn't come with it! 2000 can be a slow booter though.
Now running 7 Ultimate (Technet membership rules, loads of everthing for your subscription) 32bit for now, 4gb, Quad core 6600 and 32mb cache on the W/D HDD. Geforce 8600gt 512mb not that I play any games. Very smooth box that was mostly built out of breakers, MB/HDD being new.
 7 has some nice touches now, chucking cusomers drives in and taking ownership much simplified, boot times good, to be frank, it's as good as XP, suppose that's progress...Confused

-------------
It just is.

Posted By: illuminate
Date Posted: 02 April 2010 at 8:36pm

I used to admin a win 2K network so I’m a bit biased towards it. It ran on any machine I needed it to (dual core, RAID, SATA etc... all seemed fine), was very stable and just did the business. XP never seemed to do anything extra, apart from run slower and looked like it was inspired by the Teletubbies! I have finally migrated over to Windows 7 Ultimate which has a few random glitches but otherwise does the job well. Office 2007 is a totally different matter... but don’t get me started on it! Angry

-------------
Sound is analogue, get over it!

Date Posted: 02 April 2010 at 9:34pm
Originally posted by illuminate illuminate wrote:

I used to admin a win 2K network so I’m a bit biased towards it. It ran on any machine I needed it to (dual core, RAID, SATA etc... all seemed fine), was very stable and just did the business. XP never seemed to do anything extra, apart from run slower and looked like it was inspired by the Teletubbies! I have finally migrated over to Windows 7 Ultimate which has a few random glitches but otherwise does the job well. Office 2007 is a totally different matter... but don’t get me started on it! Angry

Totally agree, in a domain 2000 was nice. 2000 server was also a favorite, now Server 2008Angry

-------------
It just is.

Posted By: AME_Syst.
Date Posted: 16 July 2010 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by illuminate illuminate wrote:

I still miss Windows 98 SE! Cry I bet DOS would be dangerously fast!

yeah i remember when i had to run a program i had to remember the dos codes and everything for it!! Htose were the days :D

Posted By: Stageblue18
Date Posted: 17 July 2010 at 7:24pm
we used to have a win95 pc, could only get dial-up internet on it though.

now we have vista, broadband is fast, but the pc is slow and crashes couple of times every night Angry

how easy is it to build a win 95 pc? want the old one back!

Posted By: AME_Syst.
Date Posted: 18 July 2010 at 10:14pm
Originally posted by Stageblue18 Stageblue18 wrote:

now we have vista, broadband is fast, but the pc is slow and crashes couple of times every night Angry

I think if you go for an windows 7 pc, out of recommendation but ive never tried it, but i'd go for xp they still make softare compatible with xp, its pretty cheap to get, well supported and reliable, i support xp all the way.

You could build a win 95 if you wanted but after the nostalgia runs out you'll be left with a headache m8, all the best anyways

Posted By: LondonTowers
Date Posted: 06 September 2010 at 5:02pm
Originally posted by Stageblue18 Stageblue18 wrote:

i wouldnt build a windows 95 PC, it doesnt have alot of the network services as standard.

I still have a windows 98 SE machine which has all the terminal server stuff, all the TCP/IP etc, the only thing it doesnt have is TOS packet scheduling, and QOS which is annoying as it means it wont prioritise video and voice traffic over standard internet traffic = slower all round experiance :(

If you want a good solid stable machine, windows XP SP3 cut down to bare bones wins every time, although i must say, server2008 is impressing us at our work on VM machines, and windows 2008 client edition which is what we run via citrix on our LAN works very well, although dont try using remote desktop clients on it without hacking the registry to death as they all run slow-as-hell :(

Posted By: JohnnyPyro
Date Posted: 06 September 2010 at 5:50pm
ive got an old p600 laptop with 98 on.. only realy use it for service manuals etc , whacked a more up to date faster HDD in and it flies, board wouldnt take no more than 384meg of ram so it was ideal

-------------
Pyrotechnics... its not rocket science, well.... actually it is !! :o)