Print Page | Close Window

What have you done to your soundsystem today?

Printed From: Speakerplans.com
Category: General
Forum Name: General Forum
Forum Description: Open Discussion / Questions
URL: https://forum.speakerplans.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=43841
Printed Date: 24 July 2021 at 11:30am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: What have you done to your soundsystem today?
Posted By: Biggus
Subject: What have you done to your soundsystem today?
Date Posted: 07 October 2010 at 3:27pm
Thought this would be a good thread, Basically what have you done to your soundsystem today!?

Ill Start:

Removed Bass drivers ready to send off for a recone.

-------------
http://www.electrolite.co.uk" rel="nofollow - electrolite.co.uk - http://www.summertimeradio.com" rel="nofollow - summertimeradio.com

Replies:
Posted By: dancefloorwizard
Date Posted: 07 October 2010 at 3:41pm
wiped last weekends beer off my cablesUnhappy

Posted By: Bryan M
Date Posted: 07 October 2010 at 3:42pm
I played around using the spdif output of an djm 800 through a pair of basys b12 monitors to judge whether or not it could be used to solve a major problem i've incurred on an installation. Also did a bit of mc-ing through them too

Posted By: cravings
Date Posted: 07 October 2010 at 3:53pm
dug out some mt121s i was working on during the summer, looking forward very much to getting on with them, instantly saw i made a total moron mistake back then that i didn't spot at all.. and now.. .i don't know what to do with them.

not feeling good. can't see how to salvage the work. very pissed off tbh.

sorry for grumbling on this thread.

Posted By: mk2_ginger_biscuit69
Date Posted: 07 October 2010 at 3:55pm
i have turned it on for another day of work

-------------
''Remember that the object of a subwoofer is to enhance the output of your main speakers, not overpower it''

''Dubstep - an elongated electronic fart''

Posted By: Autograff
Date Posted: 07 October 2010 at 4:24pm
Im still waiting for it...

Posted By: iand4403
Date Posted: 07 October 2010 at 4:26pm
Played around 6 hours of psy-trance through it while I study for my CCNA exam

Posted By: Sounds_d_b
Date Posted: 07 October 2010 at 4:29pm
Edit - Today, Nothing. Perhaps I'd be better off dedicating the time to learning to read. 

Posted By: tomschute
Date Posted: 07 October 2010 at 4:43pm
opened the van doors looked at it - look heavy - left it in there!

-------------
Out to lunch... stableaudio@hotmail.co.uk
www.stableaudio.co.uk
Speaker Building Services

Posted By: Speaker Sol
Date Posted: 07 October 2010 at 5:04pm
Originally posted by tomschute tomschute wrote:

LOL

Posted By: adamski1010
Date Posted: 07 October 2010 at 5:06pm
Turned 300m of 3x2.5mm Xtrem H07RNF into 5 and 10m 16a cables.  My fingers are aching....

Posted By: Timebomb
Date Posted: 07 October 2010 at 5:06pm
Got a fiberglass tractrix horn of a MDF mold by destroying the mold with a chisel.

-------------
James Secker          facebook.com/soundgearuk
James@soundgear.co.uk               www.soundgear.co.uk

Posted By: Ben_Lawrance
Date Posted: 07 October 2010 at 6:09pm
I cut some new foams for the front of my subs. Add that to the paint job they had last week at they look like brand spankers now.

Posted By: Spesh
Date Posted: 07 October 2010 at 6:10pm
Picked up some reconed drivers from LMC in London.

-------------
Symmetry Soundsystem

Posted By: SamV
Date Posted: 07 October 2010 at 6:22pm
Been busy acquiring loads of cables from the office for the studio.

Posted By: luton_soundman
Date Posted: 07 October 2010 at 6:34pm
played about with a couple of scoops in the garden as the sun was out...dont think the neighbours were too happy!!

-------------
Sound Hire/Sales new/used equipment.

Posted By: Pirlo
Date Posted: 07 October 2010 at 6:45pm
Originally posted by tomschute tomschute wrote:

nice one!  Thumbs Up Big smile

@topic: Give my 1210 a rejuventating-cure (aka service), usefull from times to times - normally do it for other people, today do it for myself.  Tongue http://www.dict.cc/englisch-deutsch/cure.html -

Posted By: OllieMan
Date Posted: 07 October 2010 at 6:48pm
Finished wiring a 12 way short stagebox.

-------------
DOJO MEDIA.

PA HIRE/ RECORDING STUDIOS/ BACKLINE HIRE.

Posted By: Naff_monk
Date Posted: 07 October 2010 at 7:01pm
twiddled the dials on this matrix amp I just got delivered. You've made me feel guilty now, I was supposed to off to the lockup tonight.

Posted By: jbl_man
Date Posted: 07 October 2010 at 7:07pm
Hoovered all the spiders out.

-------------
Be seeing you.

Posted By: LondonTowers
Date Posted: 07 October 2010 at 7:20pm
just finished rigging half an truck full of lighting and sound, got eliza doolitte in our venue tonight, personally i dont wanna see her, so i set up, sodded off, and im off out to another venue to get trashed :D

Posted By: doober
Date Posted: 07 October 2010 at 8:05pm
Spent far too much time trying to buy a new smoke machine locally, quite a task in this area. Had a successful punisher building session in the sun yesterday though.

-------------
Blahblahblah

Posted By: jack-red-eye
Date Posted: 07 October 2010 at 8:15pm
Originally posted by dancefloorwizard dancefloorwizard wrote:

wiped last weekends beer off my cablesUnhappy
LOL ... Shift+R improves the quality of this image. CTRL+F5 reloads the whole page. I know the feeling
I discovered my new fane xb's dont fit in my scoops (15inch converts) Cry ... Shift+R improves the quality of this image. CTRL+F5 reloads the whole page.
so ive got some work to do this weekend Stern Smile

Posted By: spudmiester
Date Posted: 07 October 2010 at 8:28pm
Packed away all the 100v horns from the summer shows,then got some out again after the phone rang !

Posted By: opus jody
Date Posted: 07 October 2010 at 9:25pm
playing all sorts of wierd sounds on it. great fun, highly reccomended.

not the whole rig, but a good representative portion.

24" sub under the table.Big smile no neighbors.

-------------
Improvised Hardware Music http://vimeo.com/user9389813/videos

Posted By: t0m
Date Posted: 07 October 2010 at 9:43pm
Blared the new Shy FX remix of Gyptian - Hold Yuh through a pair of Impulse 4T's and tested a few subs to go under them for large scale DJ monitoring ...

Finished fixing 3 x Martin CX-2 lights and made a start on diagnosing faults on the 4 Synchrozaps!

Funfunfun ....

//t0m

-------------
http://www.microrave.biz

PA/Sound/Staging/Lighting & Laser Hire for London & the whole of the UK

Posted By: 4D
Date Posted: 07 October 2010 at 9:47pm
Originally posted by opus jody opus jody wrote:

I can see you'll be getting a divorce soon you hardware junkie you,

my contribution to the day  was playing with a pair of new toys

and very nice too, get a bit brittle when overdriven but beautifully tuned for a bit of Revolve magazine psy.. zip snick snick snick..  the builders from over the road came over to ask if there were any psy parties in the hood, I recommended Micky Daley's Eden down in bourn E mouth.. :)

Then lids of with a zone 62 to remedy the effect of the last dub step night, ribbon cable from the input section shaken loose. (had the same thing with some epc780's thank you Mr Millard for the clue)

Finally after gribbling all day over money settled New years eve booked and paid, Oh and thanks to Tim Bespoke for a last minute dry hire for Kinky Malinki on saturday night.. Good man..

What else cut and glued some foam to make a roadcase fit around 4 x cdj and 1 x aforementioned zone62..

came home for tea..

nuff said

-------------
DMZ. "The bass was intense. Girls were literally running up to stand next to the subs"

Posted By: wayward91
Date Posted: 07 October 2010 at 10:11pm
nothing much, looked for a trs to xlr so i can talk on skype. gutted a pair of 8 inch hi fi speakers with dead woofers to put in a pair of 8 inch wharfedale sub drivers. the port turbulance did my head in so i sealed them then it didnt sound good , now theyre in the cellar.

Posted By: ceharden
Date Posted: 07 October 2010 at 10:31pm
I continued my restoration/rebuild/upgrade of a C-Audio Pulse 1100 that's been worked on a few too many times.  One channel is now more bits of wire than original PCB tracks.  Finished winding a new gate drive transformer just before I left the office so the epoxy could set overnight for fitting tomorrow.

Posted By: Stray-Sounds
Date Posted: 07 October 2010 at 10:39pm
Loaded it into the van

-------------

<a href="http://www.soundhirewales.co.uk/">PA & Lighting - Sound Hire Wales</a>

Posted By: TONY.A.S.S.
Date Posted: 08 October 2010 at 12:30am
Took some more photos and made a few calls about cable.

-------------
http://www.facebook.com/tony.rossell.3" rel="nofollow - http://www.facebook.com/tony.rossell.3

Posted By: fuzzylogic
Date Posted: 08 October 2010 at 2:14am
Started a long and eventfull day with a satisfying phone call to blue aran ,top marks to them, especially Lee.
Then worked hard all day on the rig... same tomorrow.
Turned the lockup from a dumping ground to a palace...
Put a nice little 6 Nova 215 ,4 Martin F1 system in a club ready for tomorrow sound checked all day,then reloaded the van for second setup tomorrow (so I can now swing a cat in the lock up).... inbetween loads of productive waffle then finished of with a chicken kebab,extra chillis hold the grease.
A good day.
Great topic Biggus.

Edit.and also took apart a JBL Mpx 1200,for a long fault finding mission tomorrow with the multimeter.
Suprisingly simple.. when you have it in bits,
Just got to remember how to put it back together!

-------------

NEIGHBOURHOOD SOUNDSYSTEM
Infinitely baffled.

Posted By: evolution rob
Date Posted: 08 October 2010 at 2:00pm
added 10k of matrix power,

-------------
ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ

Evolution Systems Hire, Partys, And general South Norfolk Carnage   

Posted By: audioman1
Date Posted: 08 October 2010 at 2:06pm
searched garage for some metal to make a new rack ear for my EMO 16amp distro (Ear fell off somewhere, wish I had secured into rack ages ago Cry) No luck, so plan B, raid storage for an old 2U appliance I can cut the ear off Smile

-------------
Audio/ Visual System design and Installation

Posted By: THECANDLEMAN
Date Posted: 08 October 2010 at 2:22pm
filler session !

-------------
Motion Systems - Void Airmotion, Airten & Stasys 218 With Powersoft DSP

Posted By: sonofalesbian
Date Posted: 08 October 2010 at 2:28pm
set up a nice system to test out my new str2400, then missed the postman delivering it when i nipped out! Angry

Posted By: Tony Wilkes
Date Posted: 08 October 2010 at 2:34pm
Got my first pair of 15" tapped horns ready for painting, done some work on a few mid-tops. Just ordering some parts for passive X-overs.

Tony

-------------
www.forteaudio.eu - BMS - db-Mark Processors - Lexon (SAE)

Posted By: Turbulence
Date Posted: 08 October 2010 at 4:24pm
I took 2 x res1 and 2 x puns to take 5 cafe in bristol for a gig later this evening.

Posted By: Teunos
Date Posted: 08 October 2010 at 4:33pm
Working on my new project. Getting ready to fit handles. 

-------------
Best regards,
Teun.

Date Posted: 08 October 2010 at 5:50pm
Looked lovingly at it again.

-------------
http://www.facebook.com/tony.rossell.3" rel="nofollow - http://www.facebook.com/tony.rossell.3

Date Posted: 08 October 2010 at 5:59pm
changed the limiting of one of our systems right down to brick wall infinite with slow release, to cope with student DJ's gain bashing!!

-------------
''Remember that the object of a subwoofer is to enhance the output of your main speakers, not overpower it''

Posted By: ceharden
Date Posted: 08 October 2010 at 6:03pm
Another day playing with my C-Audio Pulses.  Now have a working 2x1100 and 2x650 to go with the QSC PL4.0 I'm intending to buy for my main amprack.

Posted By: mykey-
Date Posted: 08 October 2010 at 6:12pm
was listening to my new BERDOA HORNS (hifi), and was wondering if I could ever listen to another pair of different speakers ever again 

-------------
BbbBBRAAAAPppBBBBbgushhhhhhhhssshhhhhGrAbRAAAAAAPPPPPp = Dubstep

Posted By: mykey-
Date Posted: 08 October 2010 at 6:19pm
Originally posted by mk2_ginger_biscuit69 mk2_ginger_biscuit69 wrote:

changed the limiting of one of our systems right down to brick wall infinite with slow release, to cope with student DJ's gain bashing!!
LOLLOLLOL

-------------
BbbBBRAAAAPppBBBBbgushhhhhhhhssshhhhhGrAbRAAAAAAPPPPPp = Dubstep

Date Posted: 08 October 2010 at 6:34pm
For some reason I have just visualized someone coming home after a bad gig and giving the cabs a good thrashing ala Basil Fawlty.

-------------

Posted By: djgorey
Date Posted: 08 October 2010 at 6:43pm
maybe not pure sound-system, but I'm currently going through my now depleted CD collection and comparing it to the extensive request list for Sunday's gig to find out what ones I need to get.

-------------
Gaffa tape is like the force in Star Wars - there's a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together

Date Posted: 08 October 2010 at 6:46pm
Hey Ho Silver lining. Surely.
Typo.

-------------

Date Posted: 08 October 2010 at 7:08pm
stood and stared and fiddled and thought.. and finally did a bit of routing and basically did all the brainwork to correct a mistake i previously made... and i shall tear into doing it in full tomorrow.

Posted By: djgorey
Date Posted: 08 October 2010 at 7:35pm
Originally posted by TONY.A.S.S. TONY.A.S.S. wrote:

Hey Ho Silver lining. Surely.
Typo.

Funnily enough, NO!

"I Remember" by Deadmau5
"A Rollerskating Jam Named Saturdays" by De La Soul

I'm now really beginning to notice how many of my CDs were stolen when they nicked a flightcase full.

-------------
Gaffa tape is like the force in Star Wars - there's a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together

Posted By: NORTHERNMONKEY
Date Posted: 08 October 2010 at 7:43pm
added 3 x Powersoft amps to the collection today Big smile

-------------
www.heathrowsoundhire.co.uk

Posted By: Blaize110
Date Posted: 08 October 2010 at 7:48pm
Wishing my soundsystem was here.

Ive just moved into university halls (Bristol) and didnt know how big my room was going to be so didnt bring anything. Turns out it's HUGE so i'm very tempted to bring some stuff down. Luckily i'm only 1hour away along the motorway.

Posted By: subbass
Date Posted: 08 October 2010 at 7:52pm
halls take a dim view to systems though.. we got noise complaints with a 20w amp (including the warden fearing structural damage Embarrassed)

Posted By: chilli
Date Posted: 08 October 2010 at 7:55pm
replaced the laser head on a cdj800 mk1, replaced 2 x up faders on a djm800 and sorted out the loose earth lead terminal (with a hammer and pointy thing)

made up a couple of xlrs and then set about tidying up the unit before the weekends approaching mayhem...

-------------
Money can't buy you happiness, but it can allow you to be miserable in comfort.

Posted By: dymondaudio
Date Posted: 08 October 2010 at 7:58pm
Spent far too many hours hoping our new Ohm TRS system would arrive Cry

Spent at least an hour upset over the Matrix xp5000h's I missed out on.

Spent the remainder of the day searching for more SH Matrix!

Oh and rewired a 32/8 multicore with brand new Neutrik's!
Made up lot's of speakon's with some shiny 6.0mm Van Damme.

Date Posted: 08 October 2010 at 7:58pm
yeah, halls and noise and parties etc are all generally frowned apon.

not to mention theres nothing worse than being near some tos-ser playing loud music in the early hours when drunk when you have a 9am lecture...... Halls are compact and tightly fitted, not at all suitable for partying

Bristols got a gud nightlife, uni's about going out and finding new experiences, and somewhere fitting a degree in, not sitting around the house. Go to some of bryans dirt sound nights if you need a bass fix - mabe even get in crewing for any of the many soundsystems based in the city!

-------------

Date Posted: 08 October 2010 at 8:23pm
just added a matrix str2400 to my amp rack Tongue

Posted By: phildat
Date Posted: 08 October 2010 at 8:24pm
ditto..just bought it a new Matrix for the mids, courtesy of Tom. 

-------------
Its just a ride.

Posted By: colint
Date Posted: 08 October 2010 at 8:42pm
Originally posted by TONY.A.S.S. TONY.A.S.S. wrote:

Looked lovingly at it again.

Me too! (your's not mine)
Does that sound more than a bit Gay? 
I need that system but the child support agency says no chance!  Cry

-------------
Never criticise another man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. Once you have, call him what you like, you're a mile away and you've got his shoes!

Posted By: colint
Date Posted: 08 October 2010 at 8:48pm
Did have a looky at it! horns bolted in mid/hi's but now need paint and 10" bass drivers now looking at the neo stuff recommended by Chris as they are about 40 quid cheaper (each) than the 18 sound.
Need to get my finger out as I have gig's next month.
also need to pick S500 up from Service dept Steve as he has now had it longer than I have (sorry Steve)

-------------
Never criticise another man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. Once you have, call him what you like, you're a mile away and you've got his shoes!

Posted By: njw
Date Posted: 08 October 2010 at 9:24pm
  I've been filling and sanding my 4xHD215s ready for a new coat of tuffcab because they were starting to look a bit sorry for themselves, great fun that is!Thumbs Down
  And I've also received and tested an old HH MA150 that I won on fleabay a few days ago (for the grand sum of £36!), 30 years old and everything works, there's not even a crackly pot!, and the sound from it is unbelivable, I forgot how good these old amps sound. Now I need to find a use for it, LOL!

Date Posted: 08 October 2010 at 9:27pm
I took nearly everything out of the garage/store/workshop, then put it back in the right order for the weekend's gigs. I really do need a proper lockup, soon.

Then I took out a small system and set it up, leaving it in the careful hands of some dubstep dj's. Am I mad?

-------------
Blahblahblah

Date Posted: 08 October 2010 at 9:39pm
Originally posted by doober doober wrote:

I took nearly everything out of the garage/store/workshop, then put it back in the right order for the weekend's gigs. I really do need a proper lockup, soon.

Then I took out a small system and set it up, leaving it in the careful hands of some dubstep dj's. Am I mad?

Kieran, you crazyyy!  I rented a system out to a small pub in St Austel (who shall remain nameless for legal reasons) for a dubstep night and it came back dead.  The driver's had only been in the cabs 3 months!  I even put some white tape on the mixer stating "red lights = bad DJ"  Perhaps they took offence!

Posted By: njw
Date Posted: 08 October 2010 at 9:44pm

[quote]Kieran, you crazyyy!  I rented a system out to a small pub in St Austel (who shall remain nameless for legal reasons) for a dubstep night and it came back dead.  The driver's had only been in the cabs 3 months!  I even put some white tape on the mixer stating "red lights = bad DJ"  Perhaps they took offence![quote]

^^^^ Why I don't do dry hires!Ouch

Date Posted: 08 October 2010 at 9:47pm
Originally posted by njw njw wrote:

[quote]Kieran, you crazyyy!  I rented a system out to a small pub in St Austel (who shall remain nameless for legal reasons) for a dubstep night and it came back dead.  The driver's had only been in the cabs 3 months!  I even put some white tape on the mixer stating "red lights = bad DJ"  Perhaps they took offence![quote]

^^^^ Why I don't do dry hires!Ouch

Well, needless to say I haven't hired to them since and now a dry hire system of any great value doesn't go out without strict limiters!

Date Posted: 08 October 2010 at 9:59pm
Matt, you've worried me now!!! There is however very good limiting, locked lms and absolutely no chance of clipping (xp5000's limited to ~500w/channel).

Was the pub named after the male of a wild mammal?

-------------
Blahblahblah

Date Posted: 08 October 2010 at 10:09pm
Yes it was.  And they turned out to be a complete nightmare to deal with on every front!  I had to come back on 4 different occasions the following day to try and get my stuff back as they wouldn't answer the door!  Made me late for all my other gigs, sooo annoyed at them!

Just a total waste of time!!!!

Hopefully that's not where your's is going, but if it is then at least it sounds like you have decent limiting in place which sadly I didn't!  I somehow thought that a 3.2kw rms system would be big enough for a space not much bigger that an average living room and that they wouldn't need to drive it hard.  When I sound checked it, it was gut wrenching at half way, so goodness knows what they were doing with it!

Posted By: Meat
Date Posted: 08 October 2010 at 10:13pm
Originally posted by Blaize110 Blaize110 wrote:

Wishing my soundsystem was here.

Ive just moved into university halls (Bristol) and didnt know how big my room was going to be so didnt bring anything. Turns out it's HUGE so i'm very tempted to bring some stuff down. Luckily i'm only 1hour away along the motorway.

The first Dissident cabs were built in Goldney hall and was frequently ragged at Hiatt Baker. Good to know theres people doing the same. Junglesoc used to have a fair few soundsystem heads in it don't know if thats your bag or if its still like that though.

I'm sure having a room full of MDF made me go a bit funny by the end of first year. Maybe it was the excess not the MDF but hey, I'll never know. I would recommend not finding out though.

Halls tutors can be ok, I can highly recommend intercepting them on the way into any party and getting them drunk before they try to shut it down.

-------------
Don't test the champignon sound

Date Posted: 08 October 2010 at 10:13pm
PS, how you getting on with the xp5000's? Desperately after some at the moment!  Had the chance of a pair yesterday but they got away at the last min!

Date Posted: 08 October 2010 at 10:22pm
That sound's like the place! I'm going back later to pick the system up, maybe I'll make that sooner....

The xp5000's are great. They do everything an amplifier should, and I can easily lift a rack of two plus a t.amp 4 channel! I nearly bought more, but that would make the cab building backlog even bigger...

-------------
Blahblahblah

Date Posted: 08 October 2010 at 10:24pm
Originally posted by doober doober wrote:

That sound's like the place! I'm going back later to pick the system up, maybe I'll make that sooner....

The xp5000's are great. They do everything an amplifier should, and I can easily lift a rack of two plus a t.amp 4 channel! I nearly bought more, but that would make the cab building backlog even bigger...

Haha, well I hope it works out!

As for the XP's, I gotta get a pair! 

Still got my t.amp 4 channel, love it! Such a cool little amp for £300!

Posted By: Blaize110
Date Posted: 09 October 2010 at 3:16am
Thanks for the heads-ups about sound systems and halls. Yeah, I hadn't planned to be holding any late night parties and would probably only bring some of the rig down to use occasionally. Though I was going to find out what the situation was with parties and music in the JCR bar.

I also had it in the back of my mind to try and get in touch with some of the systems around in Bristol, just not got round to it yet.

PS: Also got my 12V system(s) which might be more suitable for halls and easier to transport.

Posted By: Louder than loud
Date Posted: 09 October 2010 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by 4D 4D wrote:

Originally posted by opus jody opus jody wrote:

I can see you'll be getting a divorce soon you hardware junkie you,

my contribution to the day  was playing with a pair of new toys

and very nice too, get a bit brittle when overdriven but beautifully tuned for a bit of Revolve magazine psy.. zip snick snick snick..  the builders from over the road came over to ask if there were any psy parties in the hood, I recommended Micky Daley's Eden down in bourn E mouth.. :)

Then lids of with a zone 62 to remedy the effect of the last dub step night, ribbon cable from the input section shaken loose. (had the same thing with some epc780's thank you Mr Millard for the clue)

Finally after gribbling all day over money settled New years eve booked and paid, Oh and thanks to Tim Bespoke for a last minute dry hire for Kinky Malinki on saturday night.. Good man..

What else cut and glued some foam to make a roadcase fit around 4 x cdj and 1 x aforementioned zone62..

came home for tea..

nuff said

No problem Ford, hope all goes well for you tonight 

Posted By: Louder than loud
Date Posted: 09 October 2010 at 3:26pm
Dry hire's, Dry hire's, Dry hire's, Dry hire's and some more Dry hire's

Posted By: robertnisbet
Date Posted: 09 October 2010 at 3:34pm
Yesterday fitted kitchen cupboards in the warehouse, labeled new 2m NL4 cables, made some more 13A 6-ways, and helped clean my mate's marquee which seems to be stored at my place at the moment...

Today disassembled a wind-up speaker stand to fix the mechanism, but need superglue to finish the repair.  Also cleaned out the cab of the vans finally after summer season!

-------------
Robert Nisbet
www.robertnisbet.com
Event Production Services

Date Posted: 09 October 2010 at 4:14pm
not my soundsystem, but i just spent the morning loading in PA LX AV and backline for bowling for soup - my god they tour with an unnessesarily large amount of kit!!

They do have one of those robe 5000 projector moving yoke type jobbies which is pretty funky

-------------

Posted By: fizz
Date Posted: 09 October 2010 at 6:33pm
took apart a monitor i was gifted to have a look at its apparently blown driver... quick butchers showed all drivers ok, tested it - sounds like it was build out of crisp packets with techno but clear with ambient/acoustic stuff... no blown driver just cheap kit.

soundsystem + student halls = messy messy times...

Posted By: mikey bear
Date Posted: 09 October 2010 at 6:46pm
new foam and a lick of paint on my tops and patched up an amp rack

Date Posted: 09 October 2010 at 7:06pm
finally unloaded the 2 BS1200s that have been lurking in the back of my van for the last 2 weeks. damn they're heavy and awkward...

Date Posted: 09 October 2010 at 9:56pm
ok i just had cause to move these ASS BS1200s a bit further.. so was rolling them around and could hear something rattling away inside them... and a dust-cap fell out of each one of them... sigh.. so that's something to investigate tomorrow then.

does this happen much? pd1550s.. probably original ones to the cabs.. best case, the dustcap has come off and the cone / coil is intact and i just glue them back on i suppose..

Posted By: Nigey-C
Date Posted: 10 October 2010 at 10:20pm
not done it yet. but repainting some cabs tmoro... and also going to ring a few places about getting a credit account so i can get another RCF L15p200AK driver to replace a blown one.... and also seeing if they will take my 2 broken ones to recone....

anyone know anywhere that sells RCF L15P200AKs that would be willing to do me credit?? lol

Date Posted: 10 October 2010 at 10:36pm
opened up the 2 BS1200s previously mentioned to see what's what. found there are 3 different types of pd1550 in them. well 3 of them are definitely pd1550s, one, is a pd 15 alright, just that the label is scraped off..

so 2 dustcaps fell out of these bins yesterday. well one driver is indeed ruined.. it blew it's cap off, slightly tore the cone around the cap area, but the coil seems to be 100% fused into the gap. i can't move it at all. reads fine on multimeter though. it looks like it has been badly reconed in the past (quite a bit of excess glue everywhere).

the other 3 are all fine. the second dust cap must have been rattling round in the bin since some past incident.. it's not missing off any of the drivers anyway.

so that investigation went reasonably well...

my camera broke today though. only got it in june.. canon powershot a480.. don't bother. piece of crap. otherwise i'd have pics of different pd1550s up.

Posted By: LondonTowers
Date Posted: 11 October 2010 at 10:08am
yeah sound systems in halls can be .. interesting. the proctor used to have a go at me for a pair of mackie powered stduio monitors, i hate to think what hed say with my current system :|

on the subject of today, just got back from the elctronics shop with 100m of VDC XLR, and 20x male and 20x female ends, hellllo link cables, y-splits, gender benders, and xlr to phono :).. ill see you at the other end of alot of soldering ;)

Posted By: nobbybonez
Date Posted: 11 October 2010 at 2:49pm
carried my measly rig out of the van after it's (and my) first job providing sound to a wedding. all went well, pleased punters, no damage and all worked as it should... happy days :)

only thing is, i'm going to have to send drivers for councelling after putting cher's 'shoop shoop song' through them Shocked

Date Posted: 11 October 2010 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by nobbybonez nobbybonez wrote:

only thing is, i'm going to have to send drivers for councelling after putting cher's 'shoop shoop song' through them Shocked

LOL

Posted By: Nigey-C
Date Posted: 11 October 2010 at 3:03pm
not quite sound related... but im going out now to buy some wood... so i can make some frames to sit some worktop on so then ive got some storage space an a few shelves to store amp racks an other small stuff....

Date Posted: 11 October 2010 at 3:27pm
hoovered dust off the Opus grill foams, cleaned out the amps in all the racks ~15 of the things, and setup HDMI feed to main projector ready for live broadcast tonight of..... the Inbetweeners. The students love it!!!

-------------

Posted By: toastyghost
Date Posted: 11 October 2010 at 4:57pm

hoovered dust off the Opus grill foams, cleaned out the amps in all the racks ~15 of the things, and setup HDMI feed to main projector ready for live broadcast tonight of..... the Inbetweeners. The students love it!!!

My mate had to engineer Jay from that show's set at Propaganda on Saturday. He'd blatantly just Googled 'Manchester indie' and downloaded the first hour's worth of results.

Date Posted: 11 October 2010 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

My mate had to engineer Jay from that show's set at Propaganda on Saturday. He'd blatantly just Googled 'Manchester indie' and downloaded the first hour's worth of results.

yeah me too..... he doesnt do it, as with all these 'celeb djs' - their agent provides all music and a 'tracklist', all in a nice little cd wallet labeled 1-20 - job done, moneys in pocket.

Interestingly enough, hardly any of them have PRS licences....

-------------

Date Posted: 15 October 2010 at 1:50pm
Picked up my recone ready for fitting

-------------
http://www.electrolite.co.uk" rel="nofollow - electrolite.co.uk - http://www.summertimeradio.com" rel="nofollow - summertimeradio.com

Posted By: Strange Daze
Date Posted: 15 October 2010 at 3:10pm
Sold it.

...and am planning the next one.

I really should stop buying a rig....using it twice...and then getting board haha...

Posted By: phildat
Date Posted: 15 October 2010 at 3:18pm
Did that Limiter set up thing w. no speakers attached with amps on full then using limiter to bring each amp under clip....then decided i just dont trust this method...... 

-------------
Its just a ride.

Posted By: Speaker Sol
Date Posted: 15 October 2010 at 3:58pm
Loaded it into the truck for a weekend of gigs.

Fun games to be had.

Date Posted: 15 October 2010 at 4:50pm
tested our brand new ohm trs system ready for the weekend!

-------------
If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid

Date Posted: 15 October 2010 at 4:59pm
Originally posted by phildat phildat wrote:

Did that Limiter set up thing w. no speakers attached with amps on full then using limiter to bring each amp under clip....then decided i just dont trust this method...... 

Hi Phildat, I'm just sorting my limiter settings out at the moment why don't you trust this methord? and what meathord have you gone for instead? just curious to see what everyone thinks.

-------------

Posted By: madboffin
Date Posted: 15 October 2010 at 5:36pm

Hi Phildat, I'm just sorting my limiter settings out at the moment why don't you trust this methord? and what meathord have you gone for instead? just curious to see what everyone thinks.

That method will get you close, but you will still need to tweak them a bit with the rig running flat out with the speakers connected.

Posted By: FarmerWardy
Date Posted: 15 October 2010 at 6:58pm
sat and waited for its unharmed return

-------------
UnKnOwN Soundsystem
Void, Turbosound, Thunderridge
Bristol, UK

Posted By: trance addict
Date Posted: 15 October 2010 at 8:03pm
added a FF6000

-------------
"There are two kinds of fools,

One says-this is old and therefore good.

The other says-this is new and therefore better."

-Bob Katz

Date Posted: 15 October 2010 at 8:12pm
I looked at it again. it's still there.

-------------

Date Posted: 15 October 2010 at 8:55pm
Finished painting another pair of punishers. Also dismantled the prototype 3 way horn top and laid bits out on some ply to work out the most efficient way to cut lots of irregular shapes.

-------------
Blahblahblah

Posted By: Big-G
Date Posted: 15 October 2010 at 9:00pm
I have spent a few hours just listening to mine today and i think i am finally happy. Approve

-------------
They know what is what but they don't know what is what they just strut what the .

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net