URL: https://forum.speakerplans.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=44915
Printed Date: 19 April 2024 at 9:31am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: MT121 vs MT130
Posted By: dOpeShack
Subject: MT121 vs MT130
Date Posted: 04 November 2010 at 8:43am
What do you guy think?

The designer of the MT130 told me it had a flatter response, a slighty higher sensibilty and a higher cutoff frequency (1,2khz instead of 900hz)

-------------
King HiFi - Heavyweight Dancehall System

Replies:
Posted By: The Builder
Date Posted: 04 November 2010 at 9:39am
MT130 varient I built gave the perception of REALLY long throw. Almost too long, I had to really mess with delays. Very, very loud at a distance, had me worried up close a few times. I came out from behind system to see if they were working properly.
 Staips SMT seems to be the compromise in this respect.

-------------
It just is.

Posted By: silworm
Date Posted: 04 November 2010 at 3:05pm
Yes dOpe Shack it seems we're in the same frequency, since yesterday I started considering this build instead of MT121, because it's easier and quicker to build, so I'm also interested in feedback from people who've used it.

@Builder: I don't understand how "throw" has anything to do with adjusting delays, if it throws further I guess the only adjustment would be on volume but please explain...
How is the sound of the cab at short distance? Is it good for smaller venues?

Date Posted: 04 November 2010 at 3:08pm
yes thats funny silworm Smile

Are you planning on using the PD121? 

PS: http://hornplans.free.fr is the forum of the guy who designed the MT130. It is in french but there is a english section if you want to have a try. The guy is quite active on the forum and is keen on answering any question...
bless

-------------

Posted By: silworm
Date Posted: 04 November 2010 at 4:10pm
thanks dope schack, I'd checked the site but had never noticed the forum... I can speak some french and see that marc gives some good info about the mt130 in there.

If I end up building the mt121 I'll go for the PD123ER if I choose this one I'll go with PD121. Also, you might want to get in touch with Paulie Paul from here, he can supply all PD at very good prices.

Date Posted: 04 November 2010 at 5:37pm
I know what you mean, but the only way I could get it balanced was messing with the delays. There was a Rhino, then ES18 underneath.
Absolutly not a small indoor cab, very weird at short distance with Kappa pro, very clear many yards away. I should add, mine had a bigger rear chamber to get Kappa in, also they were square, so slightly different.
As with a lot of older horn loaded mids I've come accross, being up close sort of makes you think, "Are these on"> Very smooth, not at all bright, not at all suited to sub 200 capacity indoors IMHO.
Pains me but MT121 reviews I've heard mean these are very different sounding cabs. MT121 worth the effort I recon.

-------------
It just is.

Posted By: SebP
Date Posted: 05 November 2010 at 8:10pm
I have a pair of MT-130, and nothing wrong with these. I love their sound. They are horn long throw yes, and they are strong in this way. If you you do small venues you can make simple reflex boxes like X12.

One point: I don't think the Kappa can be used in the MT-130. It has a low BL and low BL isn't good for horn. So wrong driver = wrong performance ! Test it with the PD121, and I think it will be another thing.

Date Posted: 08 November 2010 at 8:29am
Thanks for feedback guys!

Originally posted by silworm silworm wrote:

If I end up building the mt121 I'll go for the PD123ER 

I don't think you can finf these anymore can you?

-------------

Date Posted: 08 November 2010 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by SebP SebP wrote:

I have a pair of MT-130, and nothing wrong with these. I love their sound. They are horn long throw yes, and they are strong in this way. If you you do small venues you can make simple reflex boxes like X12.

One point: I don't think the Kappa can be used in the MT-130. It has a low BL and low BL isn't good for horn. So wrong driver = wrong performance ! Test it with the PD121, and I think it will be another thing.
Ta for that. I was wondering if the Kappa was to blameThumbs Up

-------------
It just is.

Posted By: CCAV
Date Posted: 19 April 2011 at 12:44pm
Has anyone made an MT130 with double 12 and 2" I'm planning on 2-12" speakers with a 2" over top of the 12's I was wondering if by adding another 12 would this cause any problems and also most importantly, would I need to make two completely independent horns for the 12"s or could they be combined sharing the horn mouth area without a divider in between Thanks in advance for any input

-------------
In my early years my favorite phrase was "If it's too loud your too old" Now I'm just too old

Posted By: djhitek
Date Posted: 22 April 2011 at 7:15pm
Hi CCAV, I plan to build these 2 X 12" horn two individual horn in one with a divider slightly shorter middle lip. I read on hear the SMT has phase problems without a divider in between the 2 horns. I also have 30X40 1" f/g horns I had custom built for me by Tracy from DDS(2004) horns here in the States. So if you ever seen a Funktion Res 9 that is how I plan on building mine with 15mm BB also thinking of using the 18Sound 12ND610. I plan to use it to 800 Hz with a couple of 6"horns with phase plug to 3.5kHz. For medium to long throw applications any comments or help is greatly appreciated thanks everyone!Wink

-------------
bass how low can you GoOOO!

Posted By: djhitek
Date Posted: 23 April 2011 at 11:43am
Was thinking of using also B&C 12PE32 or the new 12CL64????? 

-------------
bass how low can you GoOOO!

Posted By: jerronimo
Date Posted: 26 February 2012 at 11:58am
Bump!

Yes good question, I'm planning to build the mt-130 for my next spring project.
Marc the designer recommends the pd121 as a budget driver.
But there must be other(more expensive) drivers that have better soundquality.

How about these:

18sound mb600
b&c 12pe32
Beyma 12MI100

All of these are around 150 euro's so not that much more expensive.

Date Posted: 27 February 2012 at 5:48pm
No one?

Date Posted: 27 February 2012 at 6:41pm
Originally posted by CCAV CCAV wrote:

Has anyone made an MT130 with double 12 and 2" I'm planning on 2-12" speakers with a 2" over top of the 12's I was wondering if by adding another 12 would this cause any problems and also most importantly, would I need to make two completely independent horns for the 12"s or could they be combined sharing the horn mouth area without a divider in between Thanks in advance for any input

Here's an update of what I'm working on This is a pic of a double MT 130 I'm working on This is just a mock up of my patterns to build this box. They are to go on top of Stipe's CBe 18 I've shortened the depth of the cabinet (horn length by about 2 1/2") so the width of the cabinet will fit on top of the Cyclops side by side The horn properties are still the same. I know I will lose some of the lows but I'm hoping to pick it back up by doubling the 12"s

-------------
In my early years my favorite phrase was "If it's too loud your too old" Now I'm just too old

Date Posted: 06 March 2012 at 8:35pm
What driver's are you going to use ccav?

Date Posted: 06 March 2012 at 10:19pm
I have about 20- EV 12L laying around, so I emailed Marc (the designer of the MT 130) and he said this driver will work in this box. I know it's not the most efficient driver these days but I've got a feeling if I'm running 8 tops over 8 Cyclops I can make enough noise to keep me happy. LOL   I've always been a do it on a budget type of guy.I'm hoping to finish up the woodwork on the first 4 tops for testing, this weekend
What are you using for your rig?

-------------

Date Posted: 07 March 2012 at 9:03pm
Yes that should make plenty of noise!Smile

Still not decided about the mid drivers, it's going to be the B&C or the Beyma.
The b&c is a bit more efficient but the beyma has higher powerhandling and xmax, and therefore should be able to be crossed a little lower without hitting the xmax.

I'm planning to build:

4x mt-130 loaded with b&c or beyma and BMS 4550 comp. driver
4x MHB-46 loaded with rcf lf18n401 or lf18g401 or maybe the void V-1000

So I can use 1 mhb-46 and mt130 a side for small events and 2 of both a side for larger events.
Or 4x mhb-46 centre stacked when space is available.Smile

Keep us updated with your buildprogress, allways nice to see other people's efforts.Thumbs Up

Posted By: Absulum
Date Posted: 13 May 2012 at 6:08pm
How much does the rear chamber size matter with a box like this? Thinking of making two of these without the HF horn section. By no means a master carpenter, and would like to make the box square rather than trap, which would result in a larger rear chamber (and less mitre joints).
There is also mention of this being long throw - will it sound ok in smaller venues too?

Posted By: jwdrain
Date Posted: 14 May 2012 at 11:00pm
what are the differences between MT121s and MT130s? Just the throw?

Posted By: kevinmcdonough
Date Posted: 14 May 2012 at 11:18pm
hey

both are hornloaded mids and both add a good chunk of sensitivity to whatever 12" you use. The MT-130 reportedly goes slightly lower, and it a little bit flatter. They will have a slightly different sound with the 130 being a slot throat, and people describe the fact that the seem to give the impression of being VERY "long throw" to the point of almost sounding weird up close.

Once I get my current build out the way i plan to make up some mock ups of the 12" section over the summer and try it out, both with a BMS 12N810 (have two for testing already had this in the back of my head for a while) and an either an eighteensound mb600 or mb1000 (which i'll have to get) and see what they sound like.

Long term plan is to make two tops a side that are double 12" high sensitivity drivers (much like above) with the big coax BMS compression driver, and have a go at a double 15" bifurcated ported horn and make three of them a side to sit under.

The main problem is that while loads of people have built MT-122s or MT112s,  there seems to be very few that have built 130s and no one that I know that has both, so there hasn't really been a huge amount of feedback on them or any chance to properly compare the two.

k

Posted By: MarjanM
Date Posted: 15 May 2012 at 12:59am
Kevin, please do report on those 12N810. I am also planing some box with those. On paper they look extremely good.

-------------
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713

Posted By: DiscernAudio
Date Posted: 05 June 2013 at 3:14pm
Not my build, nor my speaker, I was just tasked to design the 15" reflex on the bottom.
It is what the customer wanted.
What do you think?

Posted By: t.geessounds
Date Posted: 05 June 2013 at 7:11pm
Nice Box DiscernAudioWink

Posted By: midas
Date Posted: 12 June 2013 at 11:07pm
I have a pair of Yamaha S215IV's and am thinking of doing something similar to those. 

I have a pair of PAudio ES600 15's need to check if they would be ok at the bottom. 

Just need something not to expensive for the mids and top. If the 2 inch would not sound so good.

Posted By: geoSal
Date Posted: 16 July 2013 at 6:47pm
anyone thought of designing mt130 with 10'' drivers?
i was planning to give it a try.drivers are 18 sound 10m600.

please share your thoughts about it..
my aim is 180-1.2khz.
mt122 style of cab.

my experience with hornspec is not so big so any help would be nice
thanks

Posted By: geoSal
Date Posted: 23 July 2013 at 2:06pm
will this work for 10''?

found it on fsp.old thread..

http://s832.photobucket.com/user/gtaxts/media/mt100.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: dlyxover
Date Posted: 23 July 2013 at 2:14pm
I've been working on a 10" cab similar to above, will put some sketchup screen shots up when I get a chance Smile

-------------
In the Truth there is no news, and in the News there is no truth

Posted By: 4four
Date Posted: 30 August 2020 at 12:29am
Originally posted by DiscernAudio DiscernAudio wrote:

Not my build, nor my speaker, I was just tasked to design the 15" reflex on the bottom.
It is what the customer wanted.
What do you think?

Do you have pictures of the MT 130 project with the 15 "reflex? The efficiency after the 15" reflex that was inserted in the project is ready?

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2023 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net