Print Page | Close Window

Extended CB-18 Cyclops

Printed From: Speakerplans.com
Category: Plans
Forum Name: New Projects Forum
Forum Description: Forum for new speakerplans projects, in memory of Tony Wilkes, 1953 - 2014
URL: https://forum.speakerplans.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=45015
Printed Date: 19 March 2024 at 10:01am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Extended CB-18 Cyclops
Posted By: streetsounds
Subject: Extended CB-18 Cyclops
Date Posted: 06 November 2010 at 1:58pm
Asked Staip to extend the depth to 700mm, built it and tested it and here it goes..Amazing sub...loaded them with SD18ELClapClapClap

.. loud, heavy and clean..no movement of any sort was noticed on the bins during the testing, even the RCF on top stands still..lovely

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wKKIQDv7x4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-jkwXbnYbQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4Ki6vcv8hk&feature=player_embedded

-------------
Bass matters...

Replies:
Posted By: Teunos
Date Posted: 06 November 2010 at 2:34pm
Looks like a nice rigid cab you built, very pro. I like it that more and more people router their own handles in the wood like you've done . It looks wAAAAy better,  allows for lifting in multiple directions and it's cheaper. Nice job.

-------------
Best regards,
Teun.

Date Posted: 06 November 2010 at 2:39pm
Thanks Teun, gonna be coating it with fiber matting and polyurethane tomorrow..

-------------
Bass matters...

Posted By: MarjanM
Date Posted: 06 November 2010 at 3:40pm
Great job there. How do they compare with your old subs?

-------------
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713

Date Posted: 06 November 2010 at 10:43pm
On the the upper freq 186 and this bin well I would almost behave similarly but on the lower end its getting flat at 40hz and even lower in single. It will do its job even the eq is flat.

-------------
Bass matters...

Posted By: Speaker Sol
Date Posted: 07 November 2010 at 12:15pm
Looking Good Thumbs Up

Posted By: VECTORDJ
Date Posted: 08 November 2010 at 5:10pm
Hi, Is there a drawing for the 700mm model? Can this be expanded out to 900mm or 1200mm deep for a Super One Eye Monster???? Thanx, VECTORDJ

Date Posted: 08 November 2010 at 5:36pm
I am sure it can. But you will win some and loose some.
It will go lower but at SPL loss i think.

-------------
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com

Posted By: staiper
Date Posted: 08 November 2010 at 7:16pm
Hello,

Beer Streetsounds,  CBe-18 looks built great and I am glad to hear that you are happy with results of first testing.

-------------
Just do it! ..or do not.. ;)

Date Posted: 08 November 2010 at 7:40pm
Originally posted by VECTORDJ VECTORDJ wrote:

Hi, Is there a drawing for the 700mm model? Can this be expanded out to 900mm or 1200mm deep for a Super One Eye Monster???? Thanx, VECTORDJ

In fact there are drawings for few slightly modified variants every made on specific demand.

1. Standard CB-18
2. Extended front CBe-18  (streetsounds version, 700mm deep)
3. Full extended CBX-18 (extended pathlength, front and mouth area) - made on demand for extra few hertz LF extension

+ there is also standard CB-18Light version plans for 15mm plywood (extralight version ... as much as it can Big smile :) )

Ofcourse it is possible to make to modify design to suit some new goals but all comes with some compromise .. If you want additional LF extension in compact size ..SPL suffers, If you want booth , max SPL and LF extension too cabinet size goes up rapidly.. etc :)

It is not big problem to make one "monster mega, giga, cyclops" but than size and weight will go much out of margins of regular "usability" and muscle and spines will hate em (however may be good for showing and shootouts)

I have thought about Cyclops idea to be good bass solution with "ideal" bandwidth for most jobs (flat ~40- ~130Hz), pretty easy manageable size and truckpack friendly. Any further increasing size (more than CBX-18 version) will go out of this goals.Broken Heart

-------------

Posted By: Crazy Dane
Date Posted: 08 November 2010 at 11:00pm
Which of the 3 versions performs the best then?
And is it possible to get plans for them all?

-------------
Best regards... Frank

Date Posted: 08 November 2010 at 11:01pm
Thanks Staip for tweeking the design a bit as I requested. I cannot ask for more  after hear the first testStarStarStar. Its not that heavy anyway as I expected and can still be easily managed mobility wise.

Well may be, I was thinking, the reason why its not moving at all even when playing  heavy bass is because of its symmetrical design.. additonal plus factor

-------------
Bass matters...

Date Posted: 08 November 2010 at 11:03pm
Originally posted by Crazy Dane Crazy Dane wrote:

Which of the 3 versions performs the best then?
And is it possible to get plans for them all?

Wait. Ill figure out how to post the plans..

-------------
Bass matters...

Date Posted: 12 November 2010 at 1:01am
Getting coated with fiber matting and polyurethane

Some more sanding and do the final coating including the aluminum corners.

-------------
Bass matters...

Posted By: Ibex
Date Posted: 12 November 2010 at 7:41am
Originally posted by streetsounds streetsounds wrote:

Good job, mate!
What are those cabs behind? SB-18 or half MTL-1X?

Posted By: Teunos
Date Posted: 12 November 2010 at 7:42am
Looks good. I did spot you fibreglassed over the nut-holes for the driver attachment didn't you.
At least you know it will last forever now you've fibreglassed id. Just wondering if you'll be putting a grill on?

-------------
Best regards,
Teun.

Date Posted: 12 November 2010 at 9:53am
Yep fiberglass over the bolt holes but just poke it and there will be hole again. Ill put screen on it but just by the square opening, and then put also a detachable board (via twist lock) with 4 wheels on it.

-------------
Bass matters...

Date Posted: 12 November 2010 at 9:57am
@ Ibex: They are modified T-18 they called it here Sub-scoop, deeper but narrower than T-18

-------------
Bass matters...

Date Posted: 28 November 2010 at 12:00pm
Finally completed 2 of the 6 Cyclops Im building, these two will be on their first job tomorrow.

-------------
Bass matters...

Posted By: SBC
Date Posted: 28 November 2010 at 12:15pm
love the grill and wheel board arrangement! Clap

what made you decide to fibreglass over them, was it necessary? 

-------------
F.T.S.S.

Date Posted: 28 November 2010 at 12:23pm

Thanks..To make it more tougher against bumps and scratches, its common here in my place that diy speaker bins are coated with fiber glass.

-------------
Bass matters...

Posted By: Speaker Sol
Date Posted: 28 November 2010 at 12:58pm
 Clap

Date Posted: 01 December 2010 at 1:47pm
I could not able to put the volume to normal level, neighbors ang complaining about the bass

-------------
Bass matters...

Date Posted: 01 December 2010 at 2:01pm
Clap mmmmmm , looks serious, compact rig, very tough and pro.
What is sound "feeling" in front of 3 CBe-18 stack?

Beer

-------------

Date Posted: 01 December 2010 at 2:08pm
I could not able to test it fully, neighbors are screamin', but even with a very small volume adjusment you feel the bass. With just 2 cyclops the bass was intense., I just noticed the driver cone moves a lot, Maybe i need to high pass it to around 40 to 45hz

-------------
Bass matters...

Date Posted: 01 December 2010 at 3:46pm
35Hz L/R or Butterworth 24db/oct will provide enough mechanical protection even on highest power.
If you feel that you really passing safe margins you may set it up to 40Hz.. above that there is no more point of rising HPF to protect driver , only reason for further rising may be to "preserve" some amplifier power headroom.

Also to note it is not good to completely minimize or "kill" cone movement as it is very important for voice coil cooling / air flow around VC gap and through magnet structure.
By totally reduced cone movement it is much easier to fast increase power compression and turn speaker unit into audio driven heater and under that conditions it is easy to burn voice coil as you cant hear any distortion and its sound level seems lover (and it most likely really is.. due to heating/power compression)  than you used to use before.

Some companies especially for bass cabinets intentionally recommend lower HPF filtering points that theory suggests as safe to improve that cooling effect by intentionally allowed bit of extra-excursion  (but for that they select or design drivers so they can be confident that mechanical damage point is still far from voice coil "reach" and that extra bit of excursion do not make unwanted audible noises)

BTW .. only on very close listening , most of bass drivers on back side may produce slight air "chufing" tones by the magnet pole-hole. This may be audible only on close listening a.k.a. "head in speaker" and it is not audible at all and will not affect sound when you move even 50-60cm away.
..just in case to not confuse this with real "cone farting" Wink

Best wishes, Stipe

-------------

Date Posted: 05 December 2010 at 2:47am
Yup I did it last night Stipe killed freqs below 35hz and low pass it to 140hz. I rigged it up with the live band and with just 2 cylops a side the bass was amazingly intense, finally managed to tune it properly. Its a very efficient box I would say, small amount of power exerts lots of bass. I could say that this is a "power amp friendly bass bin", you dont need to push the amp that hard to meet the bass you want., I think this CBe-18 will outrun many sub bin design..but thats just me. Thanks for the design and for the tips Stipe.

-------------
Bass matters...

Posted By: t.geessounds
Date Posted: 05 December 2010 at 3:54pm
r u guys putting out the extened palns???

Date Posted: 05 December 2010 at 11:01pm
Here's the plan link, took a while to figure out how to share it

http://www.4shared.com/document/IEzkx4z_/Cyclops_CBe-18_standard_extend.html

-------------
Bass matters...

Date Posted: 06 December 2010 at 1:51am
the link is open small cant read

Posted By: Centauri
Date Posted: 06 December 2010 at 5:50am
Originally posted by t.geessounds t.geessounds wrote:

You have to download the file via the download now button ...

Posted By: Louder than loud
Date Posted: 06 December 2010 at 5:51am
love the look of these :)

Date Posted: 06 December 2010 at 7:13am
Originally posted by Centauri Centauri wrote:

Originally posted by t.geessounds t.geessounds wrote:

You have to download the file via the download now button ...

Yes you have to download it and you must have an acrobat reader

-------------
Bass matters...

Posted By: Danny A
Date Posted: 06 December 2010 at 8:22pm
Hey Streetsounds, your build looks really good, interesting finish, Ive neverseen it before. Wheel boards looking good too Clap
What tops are you using? DIY?

Date Posted: 06 December 2010 at 9:47pm
Originally posted by Danny A Danny A wrote:

What tops are you using? DIY?

+1

Date Posted: 07 December 2010 at 8:23am

Yup some sort of a DIY midtop. Thats a double 12" mid with hi comp driver at the center similar to mT 122 but shorter and deeper. Drivers installed are 2 PAudio C12 500MB for the mids and PADE99 for the hi.

-------------
Bass matters...

Posted By: adrianm
Date Posted: 12 December 2010 at 2:15pm

hi streetsounds, 2 questions

which one has a higher spl, your cb18 or the subzero?
which one has a deeper bass, cb18 or subzero?

Date Posted: 12 December 2010 at 2:37pm
These CBe-18s will definitely outrun the subzero with regards to SPL and musicality. It can also go deeper.

-------------
Bass matters...

Posted By: jollygt78
Date Posted: 21 December 2010 at 1:52pm
how would these compare to say a dual 18 reflex with the same drivers?

Date Posted: 22 December 2010 at 6:09am
Im not a reflex user so I dont have that much idea how to compare these cyclops to the reflex bins, but I think these CBe-18s, recalling from what Ive heard from a reflex cabs before, are far better spl wise.

-------------
Bass matters...

Posted By: gabegeforce
Date Posted: 20 January 2011 at 12:22am
hi, the baffle itself is very neat. can you post the plans? is it autocad format?

Date Posted: 20 January 2011 at 1:02pm
Thanks, I posted the link on page 3, you just need to download it.

-------------
Bass matters...

Date Posted: 20 January 2011 at 1:07pm
Two more additional Extended Cyclops bins, finally completed

-------------
Bass matters...

Date Posted: 20 January 2011 at 2:20pm
Hello Frad,

It grooooows Clap 

Wanted to ask some question which may also be interesting for other CB-18 owners/builders.
As you already have pretty neat stack of CB's and worked with them on real gigs what is your opinion about CB-18 bass "directivity/throw" .. one of builders have have said that he have pretty nice front-to rear SPL difference described as almost "cardioid" bass coverage with them so I wanted to ask you if you have any observations regarding this.

Best wishes

-------------

Date Posted: 20 January 2011 at 2:44pm
Well I think the same with me here very good throw at front, waste no sound at back and at sides..but just enough for the band to feel that something is pounding hard and heavy at the front. Ive used them just 2/side in an almost 2 basketball court size semi open gym and still can cope. One more thing ive notice unlike with previous bins that ive used, stacking them in stereo, the bass is almost even at any point at the front, it seems as if you stack them all together at center.. so I think the other builder that you are mentioning is quite right. Now I will try 3 per side and see hows its like Wacko

-------------
Bass matters...

Posted By: rish
Date Posted: 20 January 2011 at 2:52pm

Hi guys. sorry to butt in but i have 2 faital pro 18hp1020 drivers and was wondering if this driver will work well in the cyclops. i really like the design . thanks to STAIPER.

Date Posted: 20 January 2011 at 3:31pm
Originally posted by rish rish wrote:

Hi guys. sorry to butt in but i have 2 faital pro 18hp1020 drivers and was wondering if this driver will work well in the cyclops. i really like the design . thanks to STAIPER.

SIMon says that Faital Pro 18HP1020 will work excellent in CB-18 (any version)

-------------

Posted By: Powersoft
Date Posted: 20 January 2011 at 3:35pm
Nice build. Are there any specs of all this 3 types of CB-18 cabs? I'm interested in building some but would like to now their usable pass band and sensitivity.

Also the tapped horn design as far I'm aware of does not couple (like a normal folded horn) when used in multiples. Is this true?

Posted By: Father-Francis
Date Posted: 20 January 2011 at 10:07pm
how would you compare them to hogs if you´ve heard hogs

-------------
Music is the strongest form of magic.(+45 31879997)blakmanpro@gmail.com, foa@sweetboxaudio.dk

Date Posted: 23 January 2011 at 11:38pm
You can low pass this bin at 35hz and high pass it at 120-140hz, but Ilike it at 120. During our testing (single bin) it registered almost down to 38 hz but that just a software from an ipod.. I think we can ask staip for the horn resp simulation.

-------------
Bass matters...

Date Posted: 23 January 2011 at 11:39pm
Sorry got no idea hows the hogs sound, maybe the other guys can...

-------------
Bass matters...

Posted By: zetatech
Date Posted: 30 January 2011 at 1:42am
sir. .  i have questions about your bins:

1. what kind of 8mm ply do you use. . the 8mm plywood or plyboard??
2. A pair of this would need how many pcs. of plywood/plyboard?

thank you

Posted By: djeddie
Date Posted: 30 January 2011 at 12:52pm
8mm? Surely you mean 18mm?

-------------
Chas n Dave : it's like Drum and Bass but with beards.             E=mc² ±3dB

Posted By: djyves
Date Posted: 30 January 2011 at 3:19pm
For a CB-18 you need 2 sheets (244x122cm) and you'll use almost the whole sheet.

So I think you need 2,5 of 3 sheets for the CBe-18.

-------------
"If brute force doesn't work, you're just not using enough!"

Date Posted: 05 February 2011 at 3:32am
yup, 1 cab consumed almost 3 sheets. I dont have the exact info on what's the most economical way of laying out and cutting the sheets. I just asked an experienced builder to build those bins for me.

-------------
Bass matters...

Posted By: mykey-
Date Posted: 05 February 2011 at 3:49am
try this, and it's free

http://www.maxcut.co.za/tutorials/

-------------
BbbBBRAAAAPppBBBBbgushhhhhhhhssshhhhhGrAbRAAAAAAPPPPPp = Dubstep

Posted By: davey t
Date Posted: 05 February 2011 at 6:32pm
Originally posted by streetsounds streetsounds wrote:

Asked Staip to extend the depth to 700mm, built it and tested it and here it goes..Amazing sub...loaded them with SD18ELClapClapClap

.. loud, heavy and clean..no movement of any sort was noticed on the bins during the testing, even the RCF on top stands still..lovely

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wKKIQDv7x4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-jkwXbnYbQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4Ki6vcv8hk&feature=player_embedded

I'm sorry but what kinda awful music do you test your speakers with! at least do them some justice and rinse out some dub!

Wicked design... well built

-------------
Minirig portable soundsystem movement

Posted By: CCAV
Date Posted: 03 March 2011 at 8:06pm
Originally posted by staiper staiper wrote:

[QUOTE=rish]

Hello Stipe
I've just finished painting and loading 2 CBe-18 cabinets and thought you would like to see some more of your design in a finished product  You can see the whole project at
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2081972&id=1008565733&l=c96d644b96 (hopefully this link will work)
I'll be testing them out early next week in a club
I have already run a single sub for a test and was very happy with how musical it was  how directional it was and the amount of volume that came from this box The speakers in this set were from a company here in the states similar to a JBL 2240 That's what I had to work with for now but will take your suggestion and load them with RCF Thanks for a great design looking forward to building 6 more

-------------
In my early years my favorite phrase was "If it's too loud your too old" Now I'm just too old

Date Posted: 04 March 2011 at 9:00am
Very nice work indeed, love the panel joints

-------------
Bass matters...

Posted By: FlipC
Date Posted: 05 March 2011 at 1:10am
Great build CCAV
Where you at in NC?
Also what paint you got on them?

Date Posted: 05 March 2011 at 1:10pm
Thank you and again I thank Stipe for providing the great designs and sharing his knowledge (The best things in life ARE free)  I live in Western NC outside of Asheville  and the paint is Rustolium truck bed liner from Advance Auto Parts $59 a gallon and applied with a $19 Harbor freight texture paint gun at 10 lbs psi   As Marjanm said "cleanup is a PIA but worth the outcome.         

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?category=&q=texture+paint+gun

took forever to find the right combination roll on 2 coats let dry and spray 2 light splatter coats Be patient (not like me) and let it cure for a few days before stacking

Getting the finish right was always the hardest thing for me

-------------
In my early years my favorite phrase was "If it's too loud your too old" Now I'm just too old

Date Posted: 05 March 2011 at 8:09pm
Your not that far from me.
Im in Huntsville, AL. Been to Asheville a few times.

Haven't seen the Rustolium brand bed liner.
Have used both Duplicolor (which you can get in a spray can for touch ups) and also Rhinolining.
Rhino was the best but cleanup is a MPITA.
I have used Duratex also. Better on cleanup but not any cheaper.
Bear premium. OK but not quite it.
Gonna try Cement paint next. Well gonna do a small piece test first.

I use the same gravity fed gun btw.
Paint and then spray twice.

I will eventually build a cyclops to test out.
So far I have built 3 different TH's (Mini clone , Apache , and SS15) along with a few one off builds.

Date Posted: 25 March 2011 at 2:10am
Hey FlipC
I haven't been in your area for a few years But always enjoyed your town Worked with a band called
Gran Torino
How are the mini scoops
Paint is a major Pain I'm always searching

-------------

Date Posted: 25 March 2011 at 5:35am
The Mini TH Clones? (not scoops BTW)
Per size nothing comes close to beating it. Clean and loud. If those B&C drivers were cheaper I would just have built a bunch of them.
As is I am just finishing up 12 of the SS15's.
They dont go as low as the Apache/FurySub but cost,size, and weight won out.  Should be putting the grills on tomorrow and touch up paint should finish them off.  Will post some pics over at DIYAudio on the Single Sheet thread when dont.

I used Duratex again.
Rolled then sprayed twice. I really think it needs to be rolled 3 times then spread twice.  Wont get a chance to test the cement paint for a few weeks due to work schedule.

Date Posted: 29 April 2011 at 8:25am
Six eyed monster. Just showing how they look in stack of six

-------------
Bass matters...

Date Posted: 29 April 2011 at 11:04am
Very nice :-)

-------------
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com

Posted By: rhuet99
Date Posted: 29 April 2011 at 3:04pm
I can only imagine the damage one can do with six in a stack.  Two are pretty awesome.  Great build.  Great thinking on the wheel board.  My pair may get a retrofit.Thumbs Up

Date Posted: 29 April 2011 at 3:48pm
thanks guys...

-------------
Bass matters...

Posted By: Beatdaddy
Date Posted: 29 April 2011 at 4:01pm
Has got to sound wicked!

Date Posted: 30 April 2011 at 12:58pm
There are some new tapped horn subs (or assymmetric horn combined with and band-pass loading as they call them) in town. Available from 10inch up to 24inch (PD loaded) Shocked

Aura Audio XD24

http://www.auraaudio.fi/products - Aura Audio XD Subs

They look a bit Cyclops/VTC-ish to me, anyway...
Anyone ever heard of them? Company is based in Finnland.

btw, what's a symmetric horn loading design, ie http://www.auraaudio.fi/a18-sub - A18 Sub ???

Posted By: _djk_
Date Posted: 30 April 2011 at 1:52pm
http://www.google.com/patents/about?id=Txa_AAAAEBAJ&dq=intitle:Sound+intitle:Reproduction+intitle:With+intitle:Improved+intitle:Low+intitle:Frequency+intitle:Characteristics&as_drrb_ap=q&as_minm_ap=0&as_miny_ap=&as_maxm_ap=0&as_maxy_ap=&as_drrb_is=q&as_minm_is=0&as_miny_is=&as_maxm_is=0&as_maxy_is=&as_psra=1&num=10&as_psra=1 - http://www.google.com/patents/about?id=Txa_AAAAEBAJ&dq=intitle:Sound+intitle:Reproduction+intitle:With+intitle:Improved+intitle:Low+intitle:Frequency+intitle:Characteristics&as_drrb_ap=q&as_minm_ap=0&as_miny_ap=&as_maxm_ap=0&as_maxy_ap=&as_drrb_is=q&as_minm_is=0&as_miny_is=&as_maxm_is=0&as_maxy_is=&as_psra=1&num=10&as_psra=1

-------------
djk

Date Posted: 30 April 2011 at 2:09pm
http://www.wipo.int/pctdb/en/wo.jsp?WO=2010136639 - http://www.wipo.int/pctdb/en/wo.jsp?WO=2010136639

") } //--> http://www.wipo.int/pctdb/images/PCT-IMAGES/02122010/FI2010000039_02122010_gz_en.x4-b.jpg"> A subwoofer (10) structure comprised of a transducer (30) located in a loudspeaker enclosure (11), an acoustic duct (21) expanding in a horn-like manner, a frontal chamber (40) and an aperture (22). A sound wave emanating from the transducer is conveyed via the acoustic duct portion expanding in a horn-like manner to the frontal chamber, and a sound wave emanating from the opposite side of the transducer is conveyed either to a closed space (20) or directly to the frontal chamber. The subwoofer can be adjusted without altering the external dimensions of the loudspeaker enclosure, utilising the entire volume of the loudspeaker enclosure, so that the frontal chamber is tuned by altering the size of the frontal chamber and/or the size of the aperture in the frontal chamber.

So we aren't building it like the diagram shows?

Looks like they are trying to run a con-job on WIPO, and hoping they're small enough to escape notice otherwise.

-------------
djk

Date Posted: 30 April 2011 at 2:19pm
I'm not sure why Klipsch referenced this 1952 patent in their patent #4138594, but the Danley TH looks like it works on the same idea as the 1952 patent.

http://www.google.com/patents/about?id=_JRJAAAAEBAJ&dq=2604182 - http://www.google.com/patents/about?id=_JRJAAAAEBAJ&dq=2604182

-------------
djk

Date Posted: 30 April 2011 at 3:53pm
You call that A18 box a SUB???? -10db at 50Hz. LOL

And all that marketing mumbo jumbo patent blabla horn loading in a special way
 but only 100db at 1m. What a joke.

-------------
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com

Posted By: djeddie
Date Posted: 30 April 2011 at 4:14pm
Originally posted by MarjanM MarjanM wrote:

Clap

-------------
Chas n Dave : it's like Drum and Bass but with beards.             E=mc² ±3dB

Posted By: daywalk3r
Date Posted: 30 April 2011 at 5:37pm
Originally posted by MarjanM MarjanM wrote:

* Sensitivity, 1w/1m: 100 dB (free space) *
you know what that red part is about, rite? Tongue   ( = 103dB@1W/1m/2pi )

Anyways, seems like a poor approach on a commercial knockoff of the "cyclops" design with its -10dB@50Hz. Though the box is quite small and light, but who would choose a TH for kick duty over a BPH (like ES18 or HD15) - which deliver equal or more output per input, have better phase response, and are even smaller? Confused

Date Posted: 01 May 2011 at 1:24am
Anyhow very poor result.

-------------
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com

Date Posted: 02 May 2011 at 4:55pm
Originally posted by _djk_ _djk_ wrote:

http://www.wipo.int/pctdb/images/PCT-IMAGES/02122010/FI2010000039_02122010_gz_en.x4-b.jpg"> or directly to the frontal chamber
So we aren't building it like the diagram shows?

Looks like they are trying to run a con-job on WIPO, and hoping they're small enough to escape notice otherwise.

djk, thanks for doing research!

No, seems that they do not build their subs like the diagram shows LOL
When you look at the whole publication you can see that they have tried a lot of different enclosure variations including a type of enclosure which is very similar to a tapped horn...

The whole patent publication:
http://www.wipo.int/pctdb/images4/PCT-PAGES/2010/482010/10136639/10136639.pdf - http://www.wipo.int/pctdb/images4/PCT-PAGES/2010/482010/10136639/10136639.pdf

Attached sketches of different enclosure types:
http://www.wipo.int/pctdb/images4/PATENTSCOPE/101/9c/5d/069c5d.pdf - http://www.wipo.int/pctdb/images4/PATENTSCOPE/101/9c/5d/069c5d.pdf
http://www.wipo.int/pctdb/images4/PATENTSCOPE/101/b4/cc/06b4cc.pdf - http://www.wipo.int/pctdb/images4/PATENTSCOPE/101/b4/cc/06b4cc.pdf

...most of them seem to be some kind of 4th order bandpass designs, Marjan already spotted the low sensitivity specs referring to their old 'subwoofer' designs, ie A18 Sub, etc...
Anyone ever tried to do a flh with a chamber in front of the mouth???

But there are others as well, who try to run a con-job:

http://www.wisdomaudio.com/pdfs/RTL.pdf - http://www.wisdomaudio.com/pdfs/RTL.pdf
http://www.wisdomaudio.com/pdfs/datasheets/Wisdom_STS-Datasheet_USA.pdf - http://www.wisdomaudio.com/pdfs/datasheets/Wisdom_STS-Datasheet_USA.pdf
http://www.wisdomaudio.com/pdfs/datasheets/Wisdom_SCS-Data-Sheet.pdf - http://www.wisdomaudio.com/pdfs/datasheets/Wisdom_SCS-Data-Sheet.pdf
http://www.wisdomaudio.com/pdfs/SCS-Manual.pdf - http://www.wisdomaudio.com/pdfs/SCS-Manual.pdf
http://www.wisdomaudio.com/pdfs/datasheets/Wisdom_S90i_datasheet.pdf - http://www.wisdomaudio.com/pdfs/datasheets/Wisdom_S90i_datasheet.pdf
http://www.wisdomaudio.com/pdfs/S90i-Manual.pdf - http://www.wisdomaudio.com/pdfs/S90i-Manual.pdf

...in the manuals you have a very nice plan so you don't have to guess what's going on inside the RTL subs, more a horn as a transmission line imho Wink

JL Audio W7 H.O. Wedge
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6625292.pdf - http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6625292.pdf

Cheers fellas, keep on speakerplaning!

Posted By: pfly
Date Posted: 02 May 2011 at 5:14pm
http://www.precision-devices.com/showdetails.asp?id=87 - http://www.precision-devices.com/showdetails.asp?id=87
If i'm not wrong, this was partly designed for Aura's biggest sub.

I haven't heard their design but they seem to be quite proud of new XD range. I had a brief talk about it over phone with one of Aura people but didn't quite get it when he told me about the loading. They were quite happy specially about how fast it stops ie. doesn't reserve too much energy. Aura sells BMS, 18sound, Faital, PD and Fane so I contact them every once in a while.

There is quite much of Aura stuff in use here in Finland and general word between sound engineers is that while it is not d&B / Meyer / L'acoustic it mostly gets the job done, just. Subs (the new range I guess) are generally thought being better than midtops and monitors. I have mixed on Aura once and heard it few times. A8 has bite that is not what I'm exactly looking for. I have not got recent memories of it though.

Date Posted: 02 May 2011 at 6:18pm
Wow, can you imagine a tapped horn with almost the same size of a psyco bin driven by an 24inch precision device!!?!
Must be amazing!

Date Posted: 10 May 2011 at 12:19am
i dont want to start a new topic just to ask a question so ill drop it here
am lookin to build 4 cbe but cant deside what speaker to  get between the
B&C tbx100 and the 18sound 18LW2400

Date Posted: 10 May 2011 at 3:53pm
Booth sim very nice ..but if you have choice .. 18LW2400 sim promise "hairline" better performance. Approve

Edit;
Now I remember that you have PM me about this but I have opened msgs from phone and while tried to make some space in inbox mistakenly selected box for deleting complete inbox msgs .. so was not sure what I have to reply .. and to whom Embarrassed

-------------

Date Posted: 10 May 2011 at 9:15pm
thanks

Posted By: Nmax Audio
Date Posted: 07 July 2011 at 2:21am
hi...hello to every member of speakerplan.com forum...im new here...great to hear and see what you have posted here....and im amaze about this CBe_18 extended cyclops designed by Staipe....and guys...especially streetsound..sir can you help me also to build this kind of cabs...i like it...sir...can you send me plan of this..sir..? the one that you made with 700mm deep...can you do this to me sir?....

best regards....

Date Posted: 07 July 2011 at 1:47pm
the plans is on page 3
welcome

Posted By: willy.gray
Date Posted: 12 July 2011 at 4:13pm
Hey

I was hoping to build a pair of the extended cb-18 but the link on page 3 doesnt seem to work anymore? Could you send me it please.

Cheers guys

Date Posted: 12 July 2011 at 6:54pm
PM me your email add guys and Ill send you the CBe plan.

-------------
Bass matters...

Posted By: willy.gray
Date Posted: 14 July 2011 at 12:27am
ok im new to this and i dont know how to do this so my email is cammy.g@hotmail.co.uk. cheers buddy

Date Posted: 14 July 2011 at 9:24am
No prob mate, Ive manage to convert it to Jpeg, so here it is..

-------------
Bass matters...

Date Posted: 14 July 2011 at 12:09pm
Found a trick for conversion for mm to inch If you are math challenged (like me) You can use Maxcut to enter all of your dimensions in mm and convert to in.thru MaxCut all by using the toolbar- imperial/metric function all in one click 
http://maxcut.co.za/newversion/

-------------

Date Posted: 04 August 2011 at 3:41pm
finally have some cash to purchase drivers to build 2 CB-18 not the extended version.  trying to decide on what driver to purchase seeing i am in the states and i have a budget of $250 max per driver.  now loudspeakerplus has the SD18 but i am confused on what version.  the specs and picture show the old version, but the more info link shows the upgraded version.  i will probably have to contact them.
http://www.loudspeakersplus.com/product/SD18/P-AUDIOSD18/

i was also looking at the C18-650el, but not sure how well it would perform
http://www.loudspeakersplus.com/product/C18-650EL/P-AUDIOC18-650EL/

what about the peavey lowrider
http://www.peavey.com/products/speakers/proaudiospeakers/index.cfm/item/117174/18%22LowRider%26reg%3BSubwoofer.cfm

or maybe something from Selenium.
http://www.loudspeakersplus.com/product/18SWS800/SELENIUM18SWS800/

Posted By: Wrek0ne
Date Posted: 04 August 2011 at 5:03pm
http://www.faitalpro.com/products/schede/hps.php?id=201070120

THESE... PAY THE EXTRA!!!! Iv been told that it sims the best out of all that were done for us, its 6kg, and its 280% sexy!!Thumbs Up

-------------
Poll this!

Date Posted: 04 August 2011 at 5:14pm
Originally posted by Wrek0ne Wrek0ne wrote:

http://www.faitalpro.com/products/schede/hps.php?id=201070120

THESE... PAY THE EXTRA!!!! Iv been told that it sims the best out of all that were done for us, its 6kg, and its 280% sexy!!Thumbs Up

i could only imagine the price.  i'll try to contact someone on the price.

Date Posted: 05 August 2011 at 7:40pm
i got a quote for just the driver.  really not bad, i expected worse.

Posted By: kevinmcdonough
Date Posted: 05 August 2011 at 8:00pm
yeah

having a quick look online there was a deal for packs of four at like £850 or something so not too bad at all.

k

Date Posted: 05 August 2011 at 10:18pm
Originally posted by kevinmcdonough kevinmcdonough wrote:

yeah

having a quick look online there was a deal for packs of four at like £850 or something so not too bad at all.

k

im in the US. The quote was $306. If I decide to use this driver ill have to save a little more.

Date Posted: 06 August 2011 at 1:32am
Get yous self a B&C 18TBX100

-------------
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com

Date Posted: 06 August 2011 at 1:51am
ok the 18sound LW2400

Date Posted: 06 August 2011 at 3:19am
the B&C runs $300 with free shipping.  i've thought about those drivers.  i'll have to save up some more before i can purchase anything over 250.

my goal is to build a pair of cabinets that will perform better or equal to the sub set i am currently using.  i use 2 peavey SP118 with the 1808 drivers and 2 older peavey 118HC.  nothing fancy by any means, but this set up is used primarily for live band applications.  my amps are QSC RMX2450s.  i have plans to build 2 more cabinets in the future for outdoor shows.

Date Posted: 06 August 2011 at 11:25am
B&C and 18sound drivers are top quality. How ever i am not sold on Faital fancy look and marketing. I have a friend that is still arguing about his damaged 18XL1500 with the USA distributor. The wire lids from the basked to cone have broken at half after 3 months of use. Clearly a design flow that they wont admit.

-------------
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2023 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net