Forum Description: How Your Projects Perform
URL: https://forum.speakerplans.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=45611
Printed Date: 24 June 2021 at 6:57am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: xilica xp-4080
Posted By: Bryan M
Subject: xilica xp-4080
Date Posted: 22 November 2010 at 8:15pm

Been playing around with the XILICA XP-4080 today. Linked all 3 together using an ethernet switch and got the Xpanel communicating with the units.

The software was a bit of a pain to get going, until i figured out that i had to assign my pc a static ip address the program would crash every time i tried to get the units on line. On line manuals are quite vague so i can imagine there might be a bit more of this sort of fun and games to come!

The xpanel is brilliant software wise. Every parameter you can allow it to modify has max and min settings that are software based, all unit functions are available to be assigned to it but obviously its down to you. Only thing i would say is the buttons are a bit flimsy, would much prefer some nice rubber ones but overall build quality is pretty good.

The XP-4080 is a 4 input 8 ouptut unit based around there earlier models that i think many of us are familiar with. The Screen only has 2 lines, few some reason i was under the impression it would of kept the same, larger screen used on its predecessor. This makes inputting data from the front panel a little bit slow but its the same layout as the dp range so it takes no time to get around once you've had a look around.

One thing i did notice on the software for the unit was that it has a compressor available to you across the input. At last i say! I spoke to the guys at XTA a while ago about offering this on a 1048 so you weren't relying on the output limiters to protect the speakers from destruction in an install but i think it fell on deaf ears. This means that in an install situation you aren't relying on the output limiters to keep the system safe when your not around, this results in much smoother limiting when the unit is under heavy load.

This means now the drawmer speaker protectors could be a thing of the past, not that i don't like the units, i just prefer keeping the total number of units in the signal path to an absolute minimum. Also with the control units in most installs being locked this means no fiddling which is also a bonus.

The front panel doesn't have any buttons to let you access the input and output controls by the looks of it. Each channel has a mute button but these units are obviously laptop only. The front panel has usb and rs 232 inputs and the on the rear there is an Ethernet input so i guess they've covered all the bases.

Not actually had any audio through these ones yet, will let you know how that goes when it happens but first impressions are all good!

B

Replies:
Posted By: Speaker Sol
Date Posted: 22 November 2010 at 8:29pm
Originally posted by Bryan M Bryan M wrote:

Only thing i would say is the buttons are a bit flimsy, would much prefer some nice rubber ones but overall build quality is pretty good.

Ye it is the same on the EV DC-one.

I like the Ethernet input as well as the USB option.

Posted By: mykey-
Date Posted: 23 November 2010 at 3:15am
I use them on my installs

-------------
BbbBBRAAAAPppBBBBbgushhhhhhhhssshhhhhGrAbRAAAAAAPPPPPp = Dubstep

Posted By: Yagga
Date Posted: 23 November 2010 at 9:03am
I Have one in an install, locked me out again for the third time in two years and also lost all the settings for the second time. other than that its been fine, audio is great on this.

One other grip is this meeting options aren't great in the software, but for the price you cant argue.

Posted By: staiper
Date Posted: 23 November 2010 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by Bryan M Bryan M wrote:

..The front panel doesn't have any buttons to let you access the input and output controls by the looks of it. Each channel has a mute button but these units are obviously laptop only...

Not actually had any audio through these ones yet, will let you know how that goes when it happens but first impressions are all good!

B

If I understand you right .. not laptop only.. 

You can access to all features without laptop (of course if you know password - if it is set).
To select inputs or outputs you want to control or change parameters keep pressed one of "menu" buttons (same left or right) .. and while "menu" is pressed just press button under channels you want to control.

You can select only one output or select/deselect more of them at will by pressing "mute" buttons under each channel level meters (as said..while keeping "menu button pressed).
When output(s) or input(s) is selected green LED will lit on so you see on which channels you work

Than it is pretty intuitive -easy ..
"menu" buttons will move you from page - to page
"cursor" buttons move you through parameters and "sub-pages" of each page .. (huhhh) :)
"rotating dial" ..change values .. Big smile

Only setting or changing password/locking depth can be done only through laptop. .. (however can be unlocked without laptop but at power off-on will  be returnrd in "locked" state).

-------------
Just do it! ..or do not.. ;)

Posted By: staiper
Date Posted: 23 November 2010 at 12:18pm
..only source - signal routing levels  have to be done separately for each channel.
it will stay preserved even if you later set other all parameters in "group selected" mode.
(you can mix levels of various input channels at levels at will for each output channel)

After few minutes of fiddling with and when you get it's logic you will be able to setup them quick as berry from front panel even in rush of live PA setup :)

Hope this helps .. (if even needed help) ..heeh Smile

-------------
Just do it! ..or do not.. ;)

Posted By: discosucks
Date Posted: 28 July 2013 at 5:42pm
bump , what's the verdict these days? 

I want something that can put my mind at rest when i leave my desk to go for a wee during a gig . 

The compressor on these sounds ideal. 

Will the software run on a tablet? 

Posted By: tv00
Date Posted: 31 October 2014 at 1:54am
I use both drawmer speaker protector and xilica, but without input limiter.
xilica is fine, but two things are really dumb:

especially xp version is a hf noise generato:-(r

xconsole v. 9 has no master volume in between input & output section ! if it only had it would work out as a mixer for small jobs, remotecontrollable by laptop, but now you have to turn ALL in / outputs down at the same time to do that. It should be a programming thing to do it.

-------------
www.facebook.com/babysoundsystem

Posted By: deejayraj786
Date Posted: 21 February 2015 at 6:54am
how do i make a 3 way stereo programme in xilica xp4080

Date Posted: 23 February 2015 at 12:45am
You can freely choose how to route the outputs
Or sell it to me:)

-------------

Date Posted: 23 February 2015 at 10:47am
It's not totally clear how to use these when not using them through the laptop interface . 

but a quick tip is , to select the channel you wish to change , hold down right hand menu button and the channel you want to change . then use the menu and cursor buttons to flick though the menus . 

on each channel you will need to scroll over and select what input channels you want to us i think its called 'int'  .

then set you cross over points and select filters/slopes . 

to mono the bass just turn on channel 1 and 2 on the bass channels . 

Date Posted: 23 February 2015 at 10:49am
Just noticed staiper has already explained all this...... doh!!! 

Posted By: Cyklist
Date Posted: 23 February 2015 at 12:34pm
bit off topic but is the sound quality noticeably better on the xta units? Anyone compared them?

-------------
purple monkey dishwasher

Date Posted: 23 February 2015 at 12:50pm
No , nothing in it! 

I have had the chance to a/b them ( martin dx1.5 / xp4080 ) ! 

Just my view now and i have in no way a trained ear , but i did notice the difference when i 
moved from the dbx to the xilica . 

Posted By: cravings
Date Posted: 23 February 2015 at 1:40pm
people have criticised the xilica limiters, and praised the xta limiters. i haven't lost anything that's been behind a xilica limiter yet, nor xta..

i haven't any real criticism of the xilica limiters.

Date Posted: 23 February 2015 at 2:40pm
The sound of the xta limiter is the sound of Funktion one!
LOL! -That's sucks, but it's often like that in Denmark.

-------------

Posted By: NathanShort
Date Posted: 26 February 2015 at 7:23pm
If you are RELYING on the output limiters on these devices,  you are definitely doing yourself a disfavor.

The perfect setup for these is to use a Drawmer Speaker Protector,  as this stops all the assholes that scream into mics on the DJM 900.  This solves 95% of all service call problems.

The input is amazing as BSS, XTA, Ashley and others have no headroom.   I'm talking high end install.  The xilica allows me to just hit -14 on my input and BOOM  I have days of headroom to play with. 

Input compressor is set to quick attack like a limiter and 10:1  to catch abusive quick things.  And then I can almost always run my output limiters normally and they just catch the extra transients under HEAVY abuse situations. 

I can't speak highly enough of these the XD and the UNO series.  I have installed nearly 100 here in the USA and a couple in Mexico.  I have also been a key player in rewriting all the Uno software and GUI for the last 2 years.  As I installed the first unit ever,  and had to send them back 2 pages of bug notes.  We now in the Uno platform have a remarkable sounding easy to use DSP.  And at 1/2 the price of BSS, Biamp, and others,  I also think is sounds much better. 

P.S.  always remember to use a router , not just a switch...

-------------

“Gentlemen, we will chase perfection, and we will chase it relentlessly, knowing all the while we can never attain it. But along the way, we shall catch excellence.”

― Vince Lombardi Jr.

Posted By: PISSHEAD
Date Posted: 19 March 2015 at 7:33am
I recently picked up a XP 8080 from ebay what can i use all the inputs for ?...also what model does the void 'digidrives' come under.  Thanks.

-------------
The 'drunken master' strikes again.

Posted By: cravings
Date Posted: 19 March 2015 at 8:09am
think the void ones are dlp3060 / dlp4080

Posted By: RemyK
Date Posted: 27 February 2019 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by discosucks discosucks wrote:

No , nothing in it! 

I have had the chance to a/b them ( martin dx1.5 / xp4080 ) ! 

Just my view now and i have in no way a trained ear , but i did notice the difference when i 
moved from the dbx to the xilica . 

what DBX did you A/B ?   Venu360 ?

Posted By: stoneeh
Date Posted: 28 March 2019 at 10:21am
Regarding the limiters: if you really have to RELY on the limiters, meaning that they must protect against short term mechanical damage as well as long term overheating, you must know EXACTLY how they work.
In the case of the Xilica XP series, there is absolutely ZERO info in the manual and datasheet about the limiter mechanism.
Since we bought a XP-4080, we have been doing loopback measurements on the device.

This is a sine wave at 100hz, recorded in Audacity:

This is how the sine wave is cut off when setting an output limiter on the Xilica with a 100ms attack:

This is with a 10ms attack:

You cannot set the attack too low though, or the limiter will actually cut into the waveform, which will result in distorted sound:

Now as for the final test, we test how it responds to signals with vastly different density (music signal vs sine):

As we can see, it cuts off at a fixed point. So it is a pure PEAK limiter. If it had an RMS limiter function, it would cut off differently with varying signal density.

If you don't understand the difference, a peak limiter ONLY protects against short term mechanical damage. It will only cut of the peaks of the signal. If you increase the input, the peaks will be cut off, but the signal density will increase, meaning the average power going to the speakers, along with heat generated in the voice coil, will increase.
All in all, the limiter in the Xilica XP series does NOT completely protect the speakers!

Regarding sound quality: this is the reason we bought the XP-4080.
Before it, we had tested the Behringer DCX-2496, and several dbx driveracks (PA, PA+, PA2, Venu360). All of those had audible signal degradation. The DCX generally sounded a little flat, the PA and PA+ were missing definition in the highs, and with the PA2 and Venu360 basically everything was wrong.

The Xilica XP series is the only DSP so far that, when we put it in the signal chain, cannot hear the difference. Highly recommended!

Posted By: smitske96
Date Posted: 28 March 2019 at 2:10pm
Now that's a nice review. Great job Clap

Posted By: Sypa
Date Posted: 09 May 2020 at 6:45pm
Bumping this thread for a question.
Im thinking of getting a xp 4080 for home use, currently have a dcx offcourse.
For a pair of studio monitors and a sub, the dcx has audible idle noise .
Has anyone used a xp on a home system,it cant be worse than a dcx ?
Read some hifi forums they say its quiet as it gets but here tv00 says its a hf noise generator,so what is it?

Posted By: Peter Jan
Date Posted: 09 May 2020 at 8:36pm
The Behringer is more or less okay until you EQ an bit of high in, than hiss goes up fast.
I never experiences that with either XTA or Xilica, to me both are about the same in that regard.
XTA's are still my favoured processors for my own use, but I have done a lot of installs with the Xilica's too (most are with XP4080) and always happy with the low level of noise/hiss they make, at whatever levels or EQ you put into use.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net