Forum Description: How Your Projects Perform
URL: https://forum.speakerplans.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=45717
Printed Date: 23 April 2024 at 12:26pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: B&C sub 18's
Posted By: Big-G
Subject: B&C sub 18's
Date Posted: 25 November 2010 at 2:41pm
Well i have got 4 sub 18's finished now, loaded with PD186's and driven by a Qsc 4050, what a cabinet, they sound better than a lot of commercially available cabs i have heard, plenty of sub and nice and punchy, i did think i would regret selling my horns but i don't. Overall i am very happy with these cabs, now just need to build another 4.

Big thanks to Markie for the grills and to everyone else who answered my numerous questions.

-------------
They know what is what but they don't know what is what they just strut what the .

Replies:
Posted By: t.geessounds
Date Posted: 25 November 2010 at 3:08pm
look good Thumbs Up r those tops 2 way or 3way

Posted By: iand4403
Date Posted: 25 November 2010 at 3:24pm
Yeah what tops are those?

Posted By: lickweed
Date Posted: 25 November 2010 at 3:49pm
Looks like old jbl sr series

-------------
http://www.liquidsound.co.uk/

Date Posted: 25 November 2010 at 6:06pm
The tops are JBL 4852's they are three way, i run them Bi amped as they have a 8k passive crossover in the cab for the 2404H's, the 2" is a 2446HPL (1.2k - 8k) and the 12's are 2206HPL's (90 - 1.2k). I'm now making some grills for them to match the bins.

-------------
They know what is what but they don't know what is what they just strut what the .

Posted By: bmw28
Date Posted: 27 November 2010 at 1:16am
Big- G did you use a wadding the boxes or extra bracing or this you stick the orginal plans, also what crossovers points did you use...

looking good..

Posted By: samwills
Date Posted: 28 November 2010 at 1:07am
What sub design you using there??
look like they would suit my next upgrade perfectly.
Cheers.

Posted By: mk2_ginger_biscuit69
Date Posted: 28 November 2010 at 5:21am
Originally posted by samwills samwills wrote:

What sub design you using there??
look like they would suit my next upgrade perfectly.
Cheers.

maybe they are B&C sub18's.....

Love the pd186 reflex, my favourite setup of the moment!

-------------
''Remember that the object of a subwoofer is to enhance the output of your main speakers, not overpower it''

''Dubstep - an elongated electronic fart''

Posted By: Ryan94
Date Posted: 28 November 2010 at 1:46pm
They look great paul. Bet they sound good as well, my pair sound lovely, bet 4 of them sound even better!

Posted By: supremesoundz
Date Posted: 28 November 2010 at 2:03pm
lovely cabs... Use a fane 18xb loaded ones regularly and they sound fantastic

Date Posted: 28 November 2010 at 4:49pm
Originally posted by bmw28 bmw28 wrote:

Big- G did you use a wadding the boxes or extra bracing or this you stick the orginal plans, also what crossovers points did you use...

looking good..

The bins are crossed at 32Hz high pass and 125Hz low pass, i put some extra bracing inside the cabs because to me they looked like they needed it, the top and bottom (or sides depending on how you stack them) are a large panel to just leave with no bracing, there is wadding in there too. HTH, Paul.

-------------

Date Posted: 28 November 2010 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by Ryan94 Ryan94 wrote:

They look great paul. Bet they sound good as well, my pair sound lovely, bet 4 of them sound even better!

They have exceeded my expectations, chest pounding eye wobbling bass is the best way i can describe it Big smile.

cant wait to get another 4 built but i'll need some more tops then and amps and cables and.........

-------------

Posted By: philw44
Date Posted: 28 November 2010 at 9:41pm
Originally posted by Big-G Big-G wrote:

looking good..

i put some extra bracing inside the cabs because to me they looked like they needed it, the top and bottom (or sides depending on how you stack them) are a large panel to just leave with no bracing, there is wadding in there too. HTH, Paul.

I may need to consider adding bracing to my Sub 15's. They do seem to rattle a little bit excessively.. you can't hear it when the cabs are in full flow but still a bit of a annoyance

Posted By: rich_gale
Date Posted: 30 November 2010 at 9:31pm
wow.  lovely looking rig there.  id imagine your 'mid/tops' will keep up with 8 of those sub 18's!.  how do the 2206's sound?  are they real jbl cones, or aftermarket?  look darker than mine

-------------
REFLEX ALL THE WAY.... (however, im playing with horns again...) That ok Mister Valiant? :)

Date Posted: 01 December 2010 at 9:15am
Hi rich, they are original JBL cones just with a light dusting of halford's satin black. The 2206's sound good, wouldn't want to push them any higher than 1.2k though, i did have them crossed at 1.8k then 1.5k but they didn't sound right to me, crossed over at 1.2k they sound fine. The mid tops are a very loud box indeed, i would think they would keep up with 8 sub 18's without an issue but the two tops with 4 sub 18's does sound nice and balanced. 

-------------

Posted By: lgosdset
Date Posted: 01 December 2010 at 12:52pm

Hi rich, they are original JBL cones just with a light dusting of halford's satin black. The 2206's sound good, wouldn't want to push them any higher than 1.2k though, i did have them crossed at 1.8k then 1.5k but they didn't sound right to me, crossed over at 1.2k they sound fine. The mid tops are a very loud box indeed, i would think they would keep up with 8 sub 18's without an issue but the two tops with 4 sub 18's does sound nice and balanced. 

What amp/amps are you driving your subs with?

Date Posted: 01 December 2010 at 1:19pm
I have a nice image of one day putting together a similar style system.  with 2x pd2450 a side, up to 90hz, dual 2206 from 90-500hz then for 500hz+ a jbl 2360a each side with a bms coax compression driver

-------------
REFLEX ALL THE WAY.... (however, im playing with horns again...) That ok Mister Valiant? :)

Date Posted: 01 December 2010 at 5:52pm
Originally posted by lgosdset lgosdset wrote:

What amp/amps are you driving your subs with?

The subs are running 2 per ch on a Qsc RMX4050HD the 2206's are 2 per ch on a Qsc RMX2450 and the comps are run on a Qsc RMX1850.

-------------

Date Posted: 01 December 2010 at 5:58pm
Originally posted by rich_gale rich_gale wrote:

I have a nice image of one day putting together a similar style system.  with 2x pd2450 a side, up to 90hz, dual 2206 from 90-500hz then for 500hz+ a jbl 2360a each side with a bms coax compression driver

Wow that should move some air, should sound sweet too. Would you need a coax for the highs though? I would think a good 1" would work above the 2360's or maybe jbl 2402 bullet?

I have always wanted a pair of 2360's they look like they could cut you in half at 100m Smile

-------------

Posted By: pk1964
Date Posted: 02 December 2010 at 9:30pm
i got the plan of b&c webite on drawing speaker board is flush at the front, did you move it back for speaker grille or add to box dimensions

cheers
pk

-------------
http://www.paulkellyevents.co.uk" rel="nofollow - My Link

Date Posted: 02 December 2010 at 9:34pm
I added to the box dimensions on mine, you dont want to be moving the baffle back as it will reduce the volume.

Date Posted: 02 December 2010 at 10:01pm
What Ryan said.

Mine are 780mm deep.

-------------

Date Posted: 04 December 2010 at 2:44pm

looking good..

The bins are crossed at 32Hz high pass and 125Hz low pass, i put some extra bracing inside the cabs because to me they looked like they needed it, the top and bottom (or sides depending on how you stack them) are a large panel to just leave with no bracing, there is wadding in there too. HTH, Paul.

Thanks for the replay G, one more thing did you glue the wadding on all the panels inside..  i.e top, botton, sides etc.

Date Posted: 04 December 2010 at 4:09pm
I put wadding on all panels apart from the side where the port is and secured it with staples.

-------------

Posted By: aperrado
Date Posted: 05 December 2010 at 2:02am
Embarrassed chance it will be a litlle  out of context,  but I cant  get a pd186 speaker in usa , can somebody recomend me  another speaker for the same box?  the build look nice .

-------------
Im hard to learn but still asking

Date Posted: 05 December 2010 at 10:17am
Not sure weather you can get fane, but the fane 18xb is a good driver.

Date Posted: 05 December 2010 at 11:35pm
B&C speakers are good & should be able to get in usa, i've loaded my's with the 18pzb100 driver, 2nd to fane 18xb are good drivers and cost less the b&c's.

Posted By: samwills
Date Posted: 06 December 2010 at 12:57am
dont like to ask but dont know how to do it.. but can anyone tell me what a fane colossus 1000, would be like in one of these cabs..(i haven't worked out how to use the speaker design programs yet) Cheers Sam.

Posted By: keilamym
Date Posted: 06 December 2010 at 1:27am

dont know about fane but b&c we can get here in the states...

Posted By: t.geessounds
Date Posted: 06 December 2010 at 1:29am
18 sounds too

Date Posted: 06 December 2010 at 8:27pm
Jbl 2242H or 2243H are a good American choice.     

-------------

Posted By: teeth
Date Posted: 20 September 2022 at 2:50pm
does anyone have the plans kicking around for the sub 18's? can't seem to find any ref online... i've just acquired a pair loaded with PD 18BR40 and they sound sweet! would just love some info :)

Posted By: djeddie
Date Posted: 20 September 2022 at 8:11pm
https://en.toutlehautparleur.com/media/catalog/product/cache/15/image/33054a7efa1cea907c2ede88c0a81e14/d/e/design-bc-sub18.jpg" rel="nofollow - https://en.toutlehautparleur.com/media/catalog/product/cache/15/image/33054a7efa1cea907c2ede88c0a81e14/d/e/design-bc-sub18.jpg

-------------
Chas n Dave : it's like Drum and Bass but with beards.             E=mc² ±3dB

Posted By: dj jammin
Date Posted: 20 September 2022 at 8:46pm
Google! The plan are still out there if you search.. just not on b&c page anymore

-------------
Reverence Sound system

Posted By: paulus
Date Posted: 21 September 2022 at 10:05am
really is a great cab we put 4 in and install playing reggae , drum and bass every week with b n c drivers  700w running on a jbl mpx1200 sounds great and plays really deep crossed 32 to 100 :) one day i will sack the scoops off and have 8 singles me thinks  :) 

-------------
TRENDSETTER SOUND SYSTEM

Posted By: teeth
Date Posted: 21 September 2022 at 11:57pm
yer they are wicked.

i bought a pair off someone on this or the other sub18 thread (hi paul.2008! nice to meet you) and i'm really impressed.

shame the design seems to have dropped off a bit, it looks pretty simple all things considered, surely one of the best performing complexity / payoff ratios!

Posted By: smitske96
Date Posted: 22 September 2022 at 8:46am
Definately a good design, and pretty large port area for the time (541cm2).
If building some, do not forget the bracing, there is really none on the plans.

Posted By: Sinai Sound
Date Posted: 22 September 2022 at 10:11am
Got one with a B&C 18DS115 (4ohm)

Run it from a single channel of an X4 and the single cab fills a small room very nicely!

Posted By: sarsen1
Date Posted: 28 September 2022 at 1:02pm
http://www.speakerplans.eu/details.php?id=72" rel="nofollow - Speaker Plans Archive  decent plans here with bracing etc

Posted By: king david
Date Posted: 30 September 2022 at 12:13pm
Originally posted by paulus paulus wrote:

really is a great cab we put 4 in and install playing reggae , drum and bass every week with b n c drivers  700w running on a jbl mpx1200 sounds great and plays really deep crossed 32 to 100 :) one day i will sack the scoops off and have 8 singles me thinks  :) 

8 of these louder and deeper than 4 scoops?

-------------
http://www.warriorcharge.noblogs.org

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2023 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net