Will my Amp be big enough? Crossover?

Printed From: Speakerplans.com
Category: Plans
Forum Name: X1
Forum Description: Discussion / Questions about the X1 sub
URL: https://forum.speakerplans.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=4633
Printed Date: 24 April 2024 at 12:30am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Will my Amp be big enough? Crossover?
Posted By: adambomb
Subject: Will my Amp be big enough? Crossover?
Date Posted: 13 April 2006 at 10:11am

Hi all,

Fairly new to the forum / building boxes (although I did make a few in my younger days from the Eminance design book, but nothing on the scale of the X1).

I have almost completed my X1 build (only taken me 2 hours, nice easy design!) and I am planning on loading it with a P.Audio C18 650EL, and powering it with my only amp ( ), 500 watt RMS bridged mono at 8 ohms.

Do you guys think that will do the trick? I obviously want to upgrade as soon as I can, but as this is only a hobby for me, it will have to wait until funds allow.

I'm aiming for a total system of : 1 x X1, 2 x HD15, 2 x X15 and another couple of amps (the current one will probably end up running the x15s).

Also... can anyone suggest a good (and CHEAP) crosover that will give me enough control of the above mentioned (ie 30hz highpass for the X1, 80hz and up to the HD15s, and 400hz up to the X15s).

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Adam.

Replies:
Posted By: Mark James
Date Posted: 13 April 2006 at 1:20pm
dont put any thing above 180hz into the hd15s.

-------------
me so horny me love you long throw
horn loaded for her pleasure

Date Posted: 13 April 2006 at 3:13pm
OK, thanks for the info.. should have done some more reading into the HDs, been concentrating on the X1 as I'm mid build.

Posted By: LunchieTey
Date Posted: 14 April 2006 at 4:27am
I've got similar cabs to the x1 with P180/2241 drivers and quite often only give them 500wrms each. So long as you know it won't rip your head off, it will make plenty of noise. Last time I took them out(2 stacked in an alcove) they had a coating of white roof plaster dust on the top 

You could also cross lower to the HD15's(65hz or so)

-------------
Speaker addict

Date Posted: 14 April 2006 at 6:26am

Thanks again!

I'm not expecting the walls to crumble, just as long as it will grumble enough to make my hard work worth it.

Has anyone got any advice regarding a crossover?

Cheers,

Adam.

Date Posted: 14 April 2006 at 6:58am

you on a budget? seen ranes 2nd hand for sub £70 a few times

berry stuff about £80< new i think

some one posted about the x-over point of 4 hd15 and 2 x1 [i think it had plaots] and 60 sumthing hz turned out to be optimum, driver dependant etc.

-------------

Date Posted: 20 April 2006 at 3:19pm

Hi,

Thanks for the comments but...

What's a "rane" or a "berry".. Crossovers? I'm a real newbie to this stuff...especially brand names..

Cheers,

Adam.

Posted By: Tom Umney
Date Posted: 20 April 2006 at 4:20pm

Well he means an active/electronic crossover by Rane or Behringer. Go for active crossover as they are adjustable, can be used for any power rating and sound much better.

A passive crossover is just components on a circuit board[the basic ones are a inductor and capacitor], and shouldn't be used for any thing other than in boxes that are 2 way or 3 way 'fullrange' or mid/high boxes.But they would sound much better when run active.

Don't ever use a passive crossover for bass though, wastes amp power as it just heats up the crossover components, sounds crap,fixed frequency and you can't buy more than a 600w rms passive crossover.

Date Posted: 20 April 2006 at 4:33pm

The Behringer cx3400 3way stereo/4 way mono with additional sub out active crossover specs and costs £99 inc vat are here:

http://www.djstore.co.uk/cgi-bin/item.pl?affid=froogle&item=behcx3400 - http://www.djstore.co.uk/cgi-bin/item.pl?affid=froogle&i tem=behcx3400

Only one thing is the low cut filter on the Behringer active crossovers is 25hz, not that usefull. But the DBX active crossovers feature a 40hz low cut filter which is much more usefull, but they are about twice the price though.

I'd advice you look into the Rane active crossover for £70 as that sounds a bargain for the price.

DBX 234 or DBX 234XL are the two active crossovers to look out for 2nd hand.

Date Posted: 03 May 2006 at 7:14am
how much are 2 in 8 out proccesors these days? sory bit off topic.

-------------

Posted By: major_gloom
Date Posted: 03 May 2006 at 3:13pm
Originally posted by ToXiC ToXiC wrote:

I'd recomend DBX234xl , cheap as chips and reasonable quality , also a good reputable company

the 234xl  is the slightly better one to look out for as it uses xlr connections as opposed to jacks btw

Date Posted: 03 May 2006 at 3:29pm
Originally posted by major_gloom major_gloom wrote:

Originally posted by ToXiC ToXiC wrote:

I'd recomend DBX234xl , cheap as chips and reasonable quality , also a good reputable company

the 234xl  is the slightly better one to look out for as it uses xlr connections as opposed to jacks btw

is taht what your using?

i like the x-over your using, i havent actualy had a chance to ever play with one but ive looked at yours [bit hard not to see a piece of rack equipement when you and about 30 other people are attempting to hoist it into a lorry and its at eye level]

afaik your x-overs never let you down yet has it?

-------------

Date Posted: 05 May 2006 at 4:00am

DBX 234XL is also nice cos it features a 40hz low cut filter which is very usefull at the frequency to protect boxes from unloading below their port tuning frequency/cut off freq [horns], unlike the 25hz low cut filter on the Behringer CX3400 which is virtually useless.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2023 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net