Print Page | Close Window

PD1850 vs Void Acoustics V18-1000 is it worthy???

Printed From: Speakerplans.com
Category: General
Forum Name: Newbie Discussion
Forum Description: Newbie Discussion/Questions. Look less stupid here...
URL: https://forum.speakerplans.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=51574
Printed Date: 20 April 2024 at 6:47am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: PD1850 vs Void Acoustics V18-1000 is it worthy???
Posted By: emperorfaith
Subject: PD1850 vs Void Acoustics V18-1000 is it worthy???
Date Posted: 27 April 2011 at 8:00pm
Ok, i know this is always dependent on cabinet etc, but just for theorys sake lets say it's for cabs that has been tried and tested for both like the 1850 cab etc.

Does the 1850 produce a sound that is worthy of its extra £80?? This is essentially 25% price increase so i would expect it to be 25% better, is that correct??

I'm just guaging if it is really worth the extra money as on an initial build it can add 800 odd quid to a build cost. 

Replies:
Date Posted: 27 April 2011 at 8:01pm
Having said all that is the PD1851 worth an extra 130 over the Void?

Posted By: cilla.scope
Date Posted: 27 April 2011 at 8:06pm
if you can define exactly "better" I can easily tell you if its 25% better or not ... 

-------------
My girlfriend thinks I'm a stalker.
Well, she's not exactly my girlfriend yet ...

Posted By: adambomb
Date Posted: 27 April 2011 at 9:12pm

-------------
http://www.freespeakerplans.com" rel="nofollow - www.freespeakerplans.com

Date Posted: 27 April 2011 at 9:20pm
Originally posted by cilla.scope cilla.scope wrote:

if you can define exactly "better" I can easily tell you if its 25% better or not ... 

Louder, more clarity, more musical, anything really. I'm the one trying to find out, so you should be telling me if one is better than the other and how...... Smile

Posted By: adambomb
Date Posted: 27 April 2011 at 9:24pm
They are pretty much exactly the same application and sound wise - the void is just cheaper.

We have used PD1850 + V1000 loaded cabs next to each other many times and couldn't tell any real difference.

The real question is over recones - I'll bet you can still get a PD1850 recone in ten years, the void - well I'm not so sure. (not that Void won't be there, just wonder if they will still support the driver - as dropping it has come up in the past).

-------------
http://www.freespeakerplans.com" rel="nofollow - www.freespeakerplans.com

Date Posted: 27 April 2011 at 9:40pm
Cheers for that, you are kind of confirming what i'm thinking. To me you are paying for convience with the PDs, i've been seeing the reason for this is the availabilty of cones, how long they've been about, generally they are the industry standard, with i'd guess the 1851 replacing it over time.

As i am only planning to keep the subs for about 2 years then upgrading, and on top of that they are only gonna get used a couple of times a month, it looks like it would make more sense to me to go witht he Voids.

Posted By: toastyghost
Date Posted: 28 April 2011 at 2:21am
Saying that, there was a period just a year or so ago where PD were on slightly shaky ground prior to a buy out...

Date Posted: 28 April 2011 at 10:14am
Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

Saying that, there was a period just a year or so ago where PD were on slightly shaky ground prior to a buy out...

So the advice is, if you are buying speakers go with the Void, if you are buy shares go with PD? LOL

Posted By: tmg
Date Posted: 28 April 2011 at 10:39am
i much prefer the sound of the voids over the PD, just a personal preference, we used to use 1850's then moved to V18-1000's, and i personally think they sound much smoother and more musical.

V18's are much harder to get hold of now than they used to be though, thanks to the closing of Pro Audio Parts, so i agree that more drivers and spares may be harder to get hold of in future if your planning to expand.

I'm sure many people on here will have differing opinions, so it might be a good plan to try and listen to the difference for yourself before making a decision.

-------------
http://www.nslproductions.com" rel="nofollow - http://www.nslproductions.com

Posted By: tmg
Date Posted: 28 April 2011 at 10:48am
oh, and we had some very dodgy drivers from PD a while ago, I was reliably told this was a "bad batch" but they all had magnets slightly offset which caused several drivers to blow. And we had to rip them apart before realising it was a manufacturing fault, voiding our warranty.

-------------
http://www.nslproductions.com" rel="nofollow - http://www.nslproductions.com

Posted By: norty303
Date Posted: 28 April 2011 at 11:24am
Quote As i am only planning to keep the subs for about 2 years then upgrading, and on top of that they are only gonna get used a couple of times a month, it looks like it would make more sense to me to go witht he Voids

Bear in mind that people who may be prospective purchasers of your used cabs in 2 years time may well also be looking for something with longevity and support.

In 2 years you could find yourself stuck with cabs loaded with blown drivers and no opportunity to obtain recones that nobody is interested in.
Alternatively you could be in possession of cabs loaded with classic drivers that lots of people respect and desire and a spares network as long as your arm...

-------------
My laser stuff: http://www.facebook.com/SubsonicSystems" rel="nofollow - Frikkin Lasers

Date Posted: 10 May 2011 at 9:01pm
Most cabs these days are sold empty so i don't think it matters too much as you would sale the drivers seperately.

I suppose it is a matter of resale value on the drivers plus the cost of recones.

i.e. For this example i am assuming 2 recone kits have been needed and a 60% resale value over a course of a year.

PD 1850s
Buy - 8 x £300 = £2400
Sale - 8 x £180 = £1440
Cost £960 + 2 recones at £300 = £1260 total

V18-1000
Buy 8 x £225 = £1800
Sale 8 x £135 = £1080
Cost £720 + 2 recones at £240 = £960 total

So over eight drivers the PDs have only cost an extra £37.50 each.

Obviously this is all theoretical, as if one of the drivers weren't as reliable/robust and needed an extra recone then it would obviously work out such a large difference one would be financially better than the other.

Posted By: mk2_ginger_biscuit69
Date Posted: 10 May 2011 at 9:49pm
personally some A-B hearing of PD vs void i prefer the PD

-------------
''Remember that the object of a subwoofer is to enhance the output of your main speakers, not overpower it''

''Dubstep - an elongated electronic fart''

Posted By: noiseboy
Date Posted: 10 May 2011 at 11:29pm
Originally posted by tmg tmg wrote:

oh, and we had some very dodgy drivers from PD a while ago, I was reliably told this was a "bad batch" but they all had magnets slightly offset which caused several drivers to blow. And we had to rip them apart before realising it was a manufacturing fault, voiding our warranty.

Interesting I had some PD 153 er's fail on me a while ago. Also I thought the 153 had been taken out of production but I see they are available again.

Hope they've got the quality control up to scratch! cos I really like that particular driver for certain applications.

-------------
www.ctaudiovisual.co.uk
www.cornucopiafestival.co.uk

Posted By: Tekasis
Date Posted: 12 May 2011 at 12:13am
Originally posted by adambomb adambomb wrote:

They are pretty much exactly the same application and sound wise - the void is just cheaper.

We have used PD1850 + V1000 loaded cabs next to each other many times and couldn't tell any real difference.

In what cabs were these in when you compared them?

-------------
**Heavy Weight-Line**
A home without books is like a body with no soul.

Posted By: Kingifzechubby
Date Posted: 26 May 2020 at 12:50am
9 years later and void is still going and supporting recipes for the v18-1000 

Posted By: levyte357-
Date Posted: 26 May 2020 at 2:56pm
Originally posted by Kingifzechubby Kingifzechubby wrote:

9 years later and void is still going and supporting recipes for the v18-1000 

This really was a stupid thread to start.

So many questions on SP, could be answered without wasting internet bandwidth, if  people just lineup a few cabs, and try the preposterous method, of playing music thru them.

Sometimes it's not about what people say is better, it's about what the individual prefers.

-------------
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.

Posted By: FOO
Date Posted: 26 May 2020 at 3:09pm
Lets hear it... 9 years later.. Does the Void V18-1000 still keep up when it comes to FLH these days, with massive powerhandling and greater Xmax capabilities of modern drivers? 🙂

Posted By: teeth
Date Posted: 20 September 2022 at 8:54pm
yeah this thread has aged beautifully lol

Posted By: luton_soundman
Date Posted: 20 September 2022 at 8:59pm
Most modern drivers need modern cabs. The old drivers tend to walk all ober the new due to people using boxess that arent suited to them. Need more box designers and not just builders

-------------
Sound Hire/Sales new/used equipment.

Date Posted: 21 September 2022 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by FOO FOO wrote:

Lets hear it... 9 years later.. Does the Void V18-1000 still keep up when it comes to FLH these days, with massive powerhandling and greater Xmax capabilities of modern drivers? 🙂

Void was only worthy opponent to PD1850, many moons ago.

Now there are drivers, that easily outpace both, in Scoops and Folded horns, if the cabs can fit Neo driver, with deep magnet.

-------------

Date Posted: 21 September 2022 at 1:05pm
Before Oberton knackered the 18XB1300, I had approx 12x of them.

Played naturally warmer, smoother,  in my cabs, than 1850 in ASS S118,  and could take enough power, to play deep notes louder than 1850 or Void in any Scoop.

-------------

Posted By: Esc4pe
Date Posted: 21 September 2022 at 1:32pm
Seen the price of v1000 now!? Been waiting for ages for blue Aran to stock voids again, rechecked their page this week and the price is now nearly 400 a pop Ouch 

Only issue I’ve ever had with oberton is rust but now that’s apparently fixed I’m going to go with some xb1500s as for my cabs I can’t find any driver that can beat the parameters that are provided for around that price point

Date Posted: 21 September 2022 at 1:59pm
Once upon a time, V18 party piece was the ridiculous efficiency.

Not just on paper, but in use.

But now in certain cabs PD1851, will play warmer,  and withstand enough power input, too play just as loud.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2023 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net