Print Page | Close Window

H/H PA Systems

Printed From: Speakerplans.com
Category: Other Chat
Forum Name: Golden oldies
Forum Description: Post all historic interesting items, stories and photos here (no, not your Nan)
URL: https://forum.speakerplans.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=51663
Printed Date: 19 April 2024 at 3:52am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: H/H PA Systems
Posted By: Mhamplification
Subject: H/H PA Systems
Date Posted: 30 April 2011 at 7:54pm
Here`s a few of Andy`s collection

Replies:
Date Posted: 30 April 2011 at 7:54pm

Date Posted: 30 April 2011 at 7:55pm

Posted By: Nachural
Date Posted: 30 April 2011 at 8:17pm
Thats all in fantastic condition especially when you think that much of it must be 25+
Built to last in those days!Smile

-------------
it's all just cardboard and magnets really

Posted By: jazomir
Date Posted: 30 April 2011 at 8:32pm
I can remember having wet dreams about that sort of speaker array!! Are those really old timers or are they photos from times gone by? I can't believe that they could all be in such good nick after all this time! If they are indeed originals it just shows what class gear HH was to have stood the test of time in such an exemplary manner!

-------------
For sidefills, can we have two enormous things of a type that might be venerated as Gods by the inhabitants of Easter Island, capable of reaching volumes that would make Beelzebub soil his pants.

Posted By: jbl_man
Date Posted: 30 April 2011 at 8:56pm
Excellent photos Martin....that's quite a collection he has there.

-------------
Be seeing you.

Date Posted: 30 April 2011 at 9:01pm
That is only a tiny part of his collection
and yes the photos were taken about a week ago he is very proud of his collection and everything  has to be perfect
I must admit I was bowled over when I saw these photos as I have only seen the collection tightly packed away in storage

Posted By: njw
Date Posted: 30 April 2011 at 10:08pm
   I'm drooling over my keyboard here! very nice,Thumbs UpThumbs UpThumbs Up

Posted By: AUDIO HABIT
Date Posted: 30 April 2011 at 10:37pm
wow ..what a great collection,and top condition,they look like brand new

-------------
https://www.facebook.com/fxstageproductions

Date Posted: 01 May 2011 at 8:32am
I think,with the exception of the folded horns which were ply,the rest of the cabinets were just chipboard,covered in vinyl,so those excellent HH big wrap-around corners have done their job well in protecting them.

Interesting to try this one day,i allways saw the HH 1500e driver and their HF200 bullet tweeter as a budget uk copy of the K130/E130 and 2402 bullet,would like to get an empty/blown Pro150 cabinet,and fit them with some E130/2402's i have here and do a direct comparision.....im betting those HH concert folded horns would sound nice with a E140 or gauss 4583 as well.

Martin,how does Andy manage to stop the chassis corrosion on all those magnesium drivers? Obviously he keeps them dry,but is his storage place heated?

-------------
Be seeing you.

Posted By: hhamplification
Date Posted: 01 May 2011 at 9:10am
Hi Martin
Thanks for posting the HH PA pictures up for me, I'll have to get my head around it as there are loads more to come yet, Very early mid way and the end!
This is a great site to come to, spending ages now just looking, don't forget the Lime Green Kennet!

Posted By: AUDIO HABIT
Date Posted: 02 May 2011 at 2:09pm
i see your selling it all now http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180660750316 - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180660750316

-------------
https://www.facebook.com/fxstageproductions

Posted By: hhamplification
Date Posted: 02 May 2011 at 5:39pm
No, no, far from it, just thinning slightly as I have too much of the same!

Date Posted: 02 May 2011 at 6:07pm
There does come a point when a collection just becomes an obsession i guess,any more than one ic100 would be silly,i mean its not like you need a breeding pair!

When you cant get in the garage door.then its time to stop!

-------------
Be seeing you.

Date Posted: 02 May 2011 at 8:28pm
I think what you mean Ian is when you cant get in the garage door  Get a bigger garage or rent another storage container
I used to say I had enough Citronic Mixers but theres still plenty out there to tease me !!

Posted By: GregM
Date Posted: 02 May 2011 at 9:15pm
Hee hee, now com'on boys! - you simply haven't got a handle on this 'collecting' malarky have you? - never, ever, comes the day when enough is enough! - surely we all secretely know and acknowledge that don't we.....?

Bizzarely, I've have quite literally this evening agreed with the significant woman in my life that I'll continue collecting what she refers to as "stuff", trading as and when suits to gather the 'always wanted' pieces - on the basis I provide some of said 'stuff' when required for use by local clubs/scouts/bands/fete committees etc etc.

It works for me - cos it gives me the legitimate ability to stash away a few prized bits n bobs'..... win-win in my book Smile

Greg

-------------
Remember, if you don't want to hear the answer, don't ask the question!

Posted By: james folkes
Date Posted: 03 May 2011 at 11:59pm
speakers are like bicycles, in that the optimum number to have is always n+1, where n is the number you currently have...

well, actually, amplifiers are more like bicycles.

for speakers it's n+2 obviously...

james.

-------------
mardy hippy.

Posted By: 4D
Date Posted: 04 May 2011 at 8:21am
Originally posted by james folkes james folkes wrote:

speakers are like bicycles, in that the optimum number to have is always n+1, where n is the number you currently have...

well, actually, amplifiers are more like bicycles.

for speakers it's n+2 obviously...

james.

Very good James..

............................. Smile

-------------
DMZ. "The bass was intense. Girls were literally running up to stand next to the subs"

Posted By: Nathan 149
Date Posted: 16 June 2011 at 2:00pm
is anyone interested in some old h/h gear i know a man who is selling up and he has the bass, mid + horn h/h lights anything around he h/h era he also has loaads of outdoor PA equipment to go

if you look at jbl_mans picture he has a pair of them too

im new to this site and can't yet advertise on 'stuff to sell' and i also havnt quite got the hang of it yet so if you are interested give me a call 07769504928 were based in leicester

Date Posted: 16 June 2011 at 8:21pm
Originally posted by Nathan 149 Nathan 149 wrote:

is anyone interested in some old h/h gear i know a man who is selling up and he has the bass, mid + horn h/h lights anything around he h/h era he also has loaads of outdoor PA equipment to go

if you look at jbl_mans picture he has a pair of them too

im new to this site and can't yet advertise on 'stuff to sell' and i also havnt quite got the hang of it yet so if you are interested give me a call 07769504928 were based in leicester

Contact  Andy  H/H amplification back up this page he may be interested  as he can never say no to H/H equipment  provided the price is right

Posted By: burningbush
Date Posted: 08 August 2011 at 5:49pm
Another lesser spotted HH cab...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HH-SPEAKER-CABINET-W-BIN-RARE-RETRO-1970s-VERY-LOUD-/120760273457?pt=UK_ConElec_SpeakersPASystems_RL&hash=item1c1ddf8a31" rel="nofollow -
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HH-SPEAKER-CABINET-W-BIN-RARE-RETRO-1970s-VERY-LOUD-/120760273457?pt=UK_ConElec_SpeakersPASystems_RL&hash=item1c1ddf8a31

Made from ply, not chip, and is reportedly very loudShocked.  That on top of those 15" scoops that Parky brought would look dandy.

-------------
music is the message

Posted By: jamie95
Date Posted: 08 August 2011 at 6:50pm

evern thinking about  that lot makes my back hurt ,,, i have 2 H/H unit series bass cabs,, there really good for there age,, but weight a bloody tone! 

Date Posted: 08 August 2011 at 6:51pm
Shame about the sound though Gavin...w-bin straight up to twin peizos.....so midrange was a optional extra not fitted to this model Sir!

-------------
Be seeing you.

Posted By: TONY.A.S.S.
Date Posted: 08 August 2011 at 7:53pm
Isn't it amazing how many manufacturers copied the EV Eliminator bin.

-------------
http://www.facebook.com/tony.rossell.3" rel="nofollow - http://www.facebook.com/tony.rossell.3

Posted By: service dept Steve
Date Posted: 09 August 2011 at 12:06am
Hmm, Heaven forbid anyone copies another manufacturers cabinets, Surely that never happens?? 

-------------
We are not "They", We are "The others" http://www.servicedept.co.uk" rel="nofollow - http://www.servicedept.co.uk -

Date Posted: 26 August 2011 at 8:50pm

On ebay now, but not long to go.....

I'd love some more of these PA115 cabinets, I've got no need for the head unit, but unfortunately it's way too far for me to sensibly go collect, esp over a bank holiday w/end!.

Maybe of interest to somebody here though?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330604335207?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648" rel="nofollow - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330604335207?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648

-------------

Date Posted: 26 August 2011 at 11:07pm
Greg its just up the road from me well 50 miles or so Ill stick a bid on it Andy would have the head if you wanted the cab 

Date Posted: 27 August 2011 at 12:31pm
Martin,

That was a generous offer, it hadn't occurred to me to even ask you!

Great idea to have split the 'lot' with Andy, I really ought to learn to think more laterally.  I'm assuming your bid wasn't successful?

Greg

-------------

Date Posted: 27 August 2011 at 1:04pm
I have one in reasonable,and one tatty condition if you want them (PA115)?  I have no need of them now.  Tatty one you can have for postage.  Always fancied a wall of these but never got round to it.

-------------
music is the message

Date Posted: 27 August 2011 at 2:16pm
Greg
I bid £60ish but got out bid 3 seconds form the end
Anytime you see anything down this way you want Im happy to pick up and store for you just for fuel money I will be starting to go up to Andy`s soon when the marquee season ends So can meet you there with anything

Looks like Gavin has a pair cheap   Andy can get all the covering material etc if you want to refurb them
Martin

Date Posted: 27 August 2011 at 8:47pm
Gavin - PM on it's way shortly....

Martin - Thank you, as I said, I've no idea why the thought didn't occur to me, but it will from now on!  Obviously the same applies my way, I'm just about to change the day job (so won't be commuting into London every day), but working the Reading/Bristol/Southampton patch so 'should' have rather more time to collect etc.

Thanks both.

Greg

-------------

Posted By: Edd Jordan
Date Posted: 14 November 2011 at 12:56am
After meeting Greg today, (good man) he told me to check out this thread and id just like to say i love the insane dedication you lot have for H & H. 

-------------
I do a sideline in ply wood wheels.

Date Posted: 21 December 2011 at 12:52pm
HH Pro 400 mid/high cab, looks incomplete but pretty rare, £80...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HH-Pro400-speakers-/190617416955?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2c61aef4fb" rel="nofollow - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HH-Pro400-speakers-/190617416955?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2c61aef4fb

-------------
music is the message

Date Posted: 26 January 2012 at 3:36pm
These are from a "seller" on ebay...

The dream HH rig...

-------------
music is the message

Posted By: djeddie
Date Posted: 26 January 2012 at 7:34pm
What drivers were (or should be) in those bass units of your Dream HH rig?

-------------
Chas n Dave : it's like Drum and Bass but with beards.             E=mc² ±3dB

Posted By: csg
Date Posted: 26 January 2012 at 7:47pm
1500 series HH? or did those come too late

ive got a big soft spot for HH, my very first proper amp ( as in not a total pile of %^&*) was a SA130 ( or was it a MA130?) slave that i had to cycle home with it hanging off the handlebar of my pushbike....i was 14 at the time!

-------------
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”

Date Posted: 26 January 2012 at 8:00pm
They are or should be 1500E`s in the bins and 1200E`s in the mid range cabs Nice drivers but quite fragile
 If magnets are knocked off centre they are useless and have to be binned 

Posted By: colint
Date Posted: 26 January 2012 at 8:43pm
Originally posted by csg csg wrote:

1500 series HH? or did those come too late

ive got a big soft spot for HH, my very first proper amp ( as in not a total pile of %^&*) was a SA130 ( or was it a MA130?) slave that i had to cycle home with it hanging off the handlebar of my pushbike....i was 14 at the time!

S130 was the slave hence the s, and ma130 was mixer amp hence the ma
The s130 was a wicked amp had a few myself over the years

-------------
Never criticise another man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. Once you have, call him what you like, you're a mile away and you've got his shoes!

Posted By: HH Electronics
Date Posted: 26 January 2012 at 9:08pm
Some great pictures here... may borrow some of these for the Facebook site if that's ok....

Date Posted: 26 January 2012 at 9:36pm
I would ask Andy first but Im sure he wouldnt mind

Posted By: derekh99
Date Posted: 02 February 2012 at 3:17pm
Hello fellow HH fans.

I am putting together a H||H PA system together for my Disco.

I have acquired four Unit III base bins, a couple of Unit horns
a V800 amp , a v200 amp and a vx150.

To complete my system I need :-

* A Pair of H||H bullet arrays.
* H||H X300 crossover
* A set of speaker covers.

Does any one know where I could obtain the missing parts?

With regard to the speaker covers does anyone know where I might get a set of plans or know someone who has made them before for the Unit Bass and Unit Horn series.

Best Regards
Derek

Date Posted: 02 February 2012 at 8:08pm
Derek,

Welcome to SP, oncde you find your way about you'll find some top top people on here willing to help and advise.

Re the HH system you're building, I'd love to see a few photos when you can, again, there's a few collectors on here - Andy being probably the most prolific.

I've been looking for a good few years now, but I've never actually seen an X300 crossover come up for sale anywhere and the last time I saw Andy, I'm sure even he didn't have one stashed away - sadly I'm guessing they're as rare as hen's teeth.......

Greg

-------------

Date Posted: 02 February 2012 at 8:27pm
Greg
Andy does have at least one X300 Maybe it was hid up when you were there last
 Which isnt hard seeing how much he has got at his yard
He seems to be having a bit of a cull at the moment  so could be a good time to pick up some bargains !!
Martin

Date Posted: 02 February 2012 at 9:19pm
Originally posted by Mhamplification Mhamplification wrote:

.......so could be a good time to pick up some bargains !!
Martin

Thanks chap, I like your thinking.......will PM Andy - there's a few HH bits I could use and, lets face it, if they still exist, he'll have them!

Greg

-------------

Posted By: HH Electronics
Date Posted: 03 February 2012 at 4:18pm
Please do post some pictures if you get the chance and I'll also put them on the HH Website and Facebook page

Jay

Originally posted by derekh99 derekh99 wrote:

Hello fellow HH fans.

I am putting together a H||H PA system together for my Disco.

I have acquired four Unit III base bins, a couple of Unit horns
a V800 amp , a v200 amp and a vx150.

To complete my system I need :-

* A Pair of H||H bullet arrays.
* H||H X300 crossover
* A set of speaker covers.

Does any one know where I could obtain the missing parts?

With regard to the speaker covers does anyone know where I might get a set of plans or know someone who has made them before for the Unit Bass and Unit Horn series.

Best Regards
Derek

Date Posted: 03 February 2012 at 7:32pm
Originally posted by colint colint wrote:

[QUOTE=csg] 1500 series HH? or did those come too late

The s130 was a wicked amp had a few myself over the years [/QUOTE

Yes, the S130, thats the one. I used to think nothing at all of going into a hall holding 300 people with 2 McKensie loaded Scott 12' + bullet speakers on tall stands, fed from the S130. Did that for years, i don't think i knew what bass was....but i never had a single complaint!

-------------
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”

Date Posted: 03 February 2012 at 8:40pm
I did the same thing Chris,only i had a pair of the ic100 guitar version,but used them via the slave input,so basically the same as the s130.....running flat-out into home made 2x12's,Around 1976 i think....as you say,no real bass as such,but still seemed quite loud back then.....i do remember the rear panel on those ic100's was so hot you could fry an egg on them!

-------------
Be seeing you.

Date Posted: 03 February 2012 at 9:48pm

Originally posted by colint colint wrote:

[QUOTE=csg] 1500 series HH? or did those come too late

The s130 was a wicked amp had a few myself over the years [/QUOTE

Yes, the S130, thats the one. I used to think nothing at all of going into a hall holding 300 people with 2 McKensie loaded Scott 12' + bullet speakers on tall stands, fed from the S130. Did that for years, i don't think i knew what bass was....but i never had a single complaint!

Yup me too! I had Citronic stateline at the time, I used to run a pair of 2 x 12's + 2 peizos off the deck and a pair of 2 x 15's + 2 eagle pa horns  off the S130 always sounded good back then and never had a problem with the volume with 3-500 people.
(never broke down either)

-------------
Never criticise another man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. Once you have, call him what you like, you're a mile away and you've got his shoes!

Date Posted: 03 February 2012 at 10:09pm
Originally posted by jbl_man jbl_man wrote:

.i do remember the rear panel on those ic100's was so hot you could fry an egg on them!

yes, hot indeed - after 6 months or so, i remember bolting a big finned ally heatsink to the back panel with plenty of silicon paste, helped a lot. Totally reliable, i ran that for 4-5 years, mono all the way until i could afford a ppx900, the HH then went to a friend, who got at least another 5 years out of it.

-------------

Date Posted: 03 February 2012 at 10:35pm

- after 6 months or so, i remember bolting a big finned ally heatsink to the back .

Did that amp somehow end up in South Wales as there was a local DJ here using a HH amp with a non standard heat sink on the back like you describe? I used to put a 120mm fan behind my S-130 and then run it into four 12"+ piezos (2OHM!!) and it didn't seem to get that hot and that too was in a big room with a hunderd or two people.

Date Posted: 03 February 2012 at 11:16pm
very possibly - it is some years ( 15 at least) since i last saw it, so it could be anywhere by now. Not bad for an amp that cost me 4 quid at a church jumble sale....

It was a big silver finned thing, stuck out a couple of inches.

-------------

Posted By: Smiter
Date Posted: 04 April 2012 at 2:32pm
someone's just dropped off here for repair:
HH Pro 150 cab
HH pro-150ii cab
BK electronics MF 600
Seck 62 Mixer

says he paid £80 for the lot! One slipped magnet in the pro 150 and the rest is peachy!

Date Posted: 04 April 2012 at 2:46pm
Have they got the original 15" chrome-dome 1500e drivers in Mike?

-------------
Be seeing you.

Date Posted: 04 April 2012 at 3:22pm
Yes they have!
I've got a mint one sitting here in front of me!

Date Posted: 04 April 2012 at 3:39pm
All good then Thumbs Up

-------------
music is the message

Date Posted: 04 April 2012 at 3:44pm
yeah, one has a slipped magnet so just got the one driver.

I've replaced them with RCF L55s and they have a little more low end in them now.

Date Posted: 12 April 2012 at 7:55pm
I spotted this on the bay, and the description just amused me:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HH-V150-L-MOS-FET-Power-Amp-Mono-/120893655664?pt=UK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL&hash=item1c25d2ca70" rel="nofollow - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HH-V150-L-MOS-FET-Power-Amp-Mono-/120893655664?pt=UK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL&hash=item1c25d2ca70

-------------

Date Posted: 15 April 2012 at 9:06pm
Now, here's a V500 in the bay which has seen some heavy action..........!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/H-H-Electronics-V500-Mos-Fet-Amplifier-/270955415153?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item3f16338671" rel="nofollow - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/H-H-Electronics-V500-Mos-Fet-Amplifier-/270955415153?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item3f16338671

-------------

Date Posted: 15 April 2012 at 9:12pm
You aren't kidding there Greg,its a miracle the poor old thing still works.The side and rear photos are even worse.

-------------
Be seeing you.

Date Posted: 15 April 2012 at 9:23pm
It does make you wonder just how tough these old brutes are - thats one heck of a clump it's taken at some point to have snapped of the original handles......Bet it's utterly filthy inside too.

Greg

-------------

Date Posted: 15 April 2012 at 10:14pm
The mains switch has been changed too (probably for the better), what a mess I'll bet it'll still work for years to come though.
Tough old beast's the V series.

-------------

Posted By: mattneck
Date Posted: 16 April 2012 at 5:17pm
It looks better than the Peavey CS400 I have just taken on Confused
And thats cleaner than when I was given ti first time round and gave it back after I gave it a vacuum. it looks more like a derelict tower block inside than an amplifier LOL

Back on topic I've jsut after nearly a year finally got my HH Stereo-16 back. I paid £100 for it when I was a lot younger and first getting into sound. Must have been 15 when I got it from a studio locally. It needs a bit of work but the best thing about it is it has the extra special rare etc etc, digital effects unit bolted into it. Possibly the most obviously modular afterthoughts I have seen LOL

Still don't know if to part with it as I've no space to use it to this day, and the only use its really had was as part of a uni 'sonic performance' by a mate.

Posted By: London Sound1
Date Posted: 19 April 2012 at 3:02pm
Hi All

I have just found two HH HT200 bullet tweeters, I have had these for years and thought I had sold them.
Anyway if anyone is interested in them FoC you can have them either collect or pay for postage.
As far as I'm aware they both work ok,
Collection East London

please pm

Ian

-------------
We know what most of the knobs do

http://www.soundengineer.co.uk

Date Posted: 19 April 2012 at 3:26pm
Pm-ed you ian.

-------------
Be seeing you.

Posted By: London Sound1
Date Posted: 19 April 2012 at 3:32pm
Claimed by JBL Man

Ian

-------------
We know what most of the knobs do

http://www.soundengineer.co.uk

Posted By: Nachural
Date Posted: 19 April 2012 at 4:31pm
Couldn't have gone to a better home!!

-------------
it's all just cardboard and magnets really

Posted By: simonh
Date Posted: 21 April 2012 at 7:13pm
Chaps, just noticed this on the bay, thought it maybe of interest?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HH-H-H-H-H-SM200-6-INPUT-OUTPUT-STEREO-MIXER-AMPLIFIER-/110864705314?pt=UK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL&hash=item19d00d2722#ht_2813wt_1164

Date Posted: 21 April 2012 at 10:08pm
Nice spot Simon, thanks for linking.

Unfortunately, for what it is, at £25 it's already about twice what I'd be wanting to pay for it - shame cos I do like a bit of rotary fader retro.

Greg

-------------

Date Posted: 22 April 2012 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by GregM GregM wrote:

Nice spot Simon, thanks for linking.

Unfortunately, for what it is, at £25 it's already about twice what I'd be wanting to pay for it - shame cos I do like a bit of rotary fader retro.

Greg

No problem Greg.  I love the looks to, I think it looks superb and love those rotary faders too.  Had no idea how much it was worth though...

Posted By: mattneck
Date Posted: 23 April 2012 at 11:49am
Shame you say it's worth that little. I'm after something small like this for running various noises through.. Would love that!

Date Posted: 25 April 2012 at 9:15am
Matt,

If it's what you want and you'd be happy to pay the asking price, why not go for it?

Just because I wouldnt be willing to pay £25, simply means it's not worth that to me - as always with these things, it's worth what somebody is willing to pay......

Greg

-------------

Date Posted: 06 May 2012 at 7:27pm
Hi Guys

Here are the pictures of my system.

As I said in the original post, I'm in desperate need of a H&H X300 active crossover to drive the system correctly, the Cloud crossover shown has all the wrong crossover points and doesn't sound right.

Any one have a HH X300 they'd be prepared to part with ?

Best Regards
Derek

Date Posted: 06 May 2012 at 9:46pm
I think you'll find there's a queue for those crossovers Derek.
Welcome to the forum!

-------------

Date Posted: 07 May 2012 at 8:52am
They are quite rare nowdays,probually not many made new back then.

Cant you simply buy a crossover with variable frequencies,and just set it to the same settings as the HH? I cant see anything special about that HH unit,just seems to be a standard stereo 3-way?

Nice looking retro system there Derek,those radial horns do sound sweet,almost hifi.

Loose the peizo on top though please!

-------------
Be seeing you.

Date Posted: 07 May 2012 at 9:21am
Like Ian says regarding the peizo, or if you think the system still needs a bit of sparkle, try to get some more of the same tweeters that you already have, and put them on top. 

-------------
http://www.facebook.com/tony.rossell.3" rel="nofollow - http://www.facebook.com/tony.rossell.3

Posted By: Robbo
Date Posted: 07 May 2012 at 11:44am
The old HH X300 Xovers really were a superb quality bit of kit---over engineered with low noise and superb sound quality---we even ended up using them on our Martin Audio touring rigs in the early 80s---we replaced our RSD variable Xovers with them--they really were that good.
Cannot say the same for the other Xover that HH made though--model no escapes me at present but it was the one with plug in cards that you could see the edge of the card through a slot in the front panel so that you could tell what the frequency setting was on----these were truly terrible Xovers and were very noisy and sounded about as musical as the Bay City Rollers on acid.

Date Posted: 07 May 2012 at 12:06pm
Originally posted by Robbo Robbo wrote:

The old HH X300 Xovers really were a superb quality bit of kit---over engineered with low noise and superb sound quality---we even ended up using them on our Martin Audio touring rigs in the early 80s---we replaced our RSD variable Xovers with them--they really were that good.
Cannot say the same for the other Xover that HH made though--model no escapes me at present but it was the one with plug in cards that you could see the edge of the card through a slot in the front panel so that you could tell what the frequency setting was on----these were truly terrible Xovers and were very noisy and sounded about as musical as the Bay City Rollers on acid.

Think you'll find it was coke and loads of it LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 07 May 2012 at 12:08pm
LOL Funny John.

The plug in card version sounds similar to a Harrison 4-way affair i had,i could never manage to get all four bands working on each channel at the same time,if it did work perfectly for one moment,the second you moved it,or put it in van,voooom,and it was gone again.Really stupid design,about as robust as your granny's porcelain teapot.

On the plus side,it did light up like a Christmas tree with loads of led ladders if that was your thing.

Being Harrison im guessing it was the same basic design as the plug-in job you are refering to.

-------------
Be seeing you.

Date Posted: 07 May 2012 at 1:20pm
Originally posted by Robbo Robbo wrote:

.....Cannot say the same for the other Xover that HH made though--model no escapes me at present but it was the one with plug in cards that you could see the edge of the card through a slot in the front panel so that you could tell what the frequency setting was on----these were truly terrible Xovers....

Robbo, could that have been the scarce 'X3' model?, it does sound like similar construction.

Personally I've pretty much given up looking for an X303 to add to my HH stack, I've not found one at any price in over 4 years of looking...... so, any recommedations for an alternate?, stereo 3 way would do, but I'd really like a 4 way or at least 3 way with and additional commoned sub as well.

Greg

-------------

Date Posted: 16 June 2012 at 1:19pm
Gentlemen HH experts,

I have a question..

I have been building my retro HH PA stack using Unit Bass and Unit Horns MkIII's and I've been under assumption that the MKIII was the last model built by HH. But I'm now starting to think that a newer model was shipping just prior to HH going out of business.

This one is on ebay, with two port holes instead of the MKIII's long port along the bottom.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HH-1x15-bass-speaker-cabinet-H-H-H-H-115-150-Watt-8-Ohms-cab?item=180907943046&cmd=ViewItem&_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D5%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D9174844981527157422

So which came first? the two ported unit bass or the MKIII unit base ?

Derek

Date Posted: 16 June 2012 at 1:42pm
The cabs you have are the newer version.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 June 2012 at 8:33pm
Ask Andy on the H/H website  what he doesn't know about H/H isn't worth knowing

http://www.hhamplification.co.uk/history.asp

Date Posted: 17 June 2012 at 8:02am
Do you think he will know where Mike Harrison is?

-------------

Date Posted: 17 June 2012 at 10:17pm
Just seen these, maybe of interest to someone

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-Pair-of-Retro-Disco-Spealer-Horns-/300727576822?pt=UK_ConElec_SpeakersPASystems_RL&hash=item4604c2a8f6#ht_500wt_1179

Date Posted: 18 June 2012 at 8:48am
^ Those are the early HH radials,with the RCF driver i believe Simon?

By the way,did you buy those 2x12's in Kent?

-------------
Be seeing you.

Date Posted: 18 June 2012 at 10:20am
I watched them to the bitter end Ian but they wentt for more than I was willing to pay.  I'm glad to be honest as I'd rather spend that money on some old Martin cabs as suggested....

Posted By: gazluka
Date Posted: 25 August 2012 at 9:25pm
Hello , I need to be in touch with Andy , does anybody have his contact details , cheers for now

Date Posted: 25 August 2012 at 9:28pm
Yes,just email him through his website.

http://www.hhamplification.co.uk/" rel="nofollow - http://www.hhamplification.co.uk/

-------------
Be seeing you.

Date Posted: 09 October 2012 at 9:19am
Hi Guys,

It arrived today,

yes I found the HH Active Crossover I wanted for my PA rig.

I found it in a Italian music store and had it shipped.

Haven't tested it yet but looks to be in great condition.

Only took 5 months to find.

Date Posted: 09 October 2012 at 10:55am
Wow, well found Derek, those X series have become very rare for some reason, especially in that sort of condition.

Great find, well done for digging that out and repatriating it to the UK.

Do let us know how it fares when you get to testing it, if there do turn out to be any issues there's enough members on here with sufficient experience to get it sorted I'd say.

Greg

-------------

Date Posted: 09 October 2012 at 11:02am
Indeed a very nice find

-------------

Date Posted: 13 November 2012 at 11:02am
That crossover is sooo cool.  There is someone selling a concert system on the bay...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HH-H-H-electronic-Concert-System-/251183447346?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item3a7bb33d32" rel="nofollow -
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HH-H-H-electronic-Concert-System-/251183447346?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item3a7bb33d32

-------------
music is the message

Posted By: oldskool
Date Posted: 13 November 2012 at 11:07am
Very nice, I have wanted a concert system for years for the smaller gatherings so am very tempted. Seller has 100% feedback but are those pictures of Andy's gear? Guess he is selling them at last?

-------------
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies

Date Posted: 13 November 2012 at 11:16am
Yes,that is Andy's ebay account.You can bet he will want top-dollar for it,i dont blame him,its in unique condition. Drop him an email Lee,you never know,you might be able to have a deal.

-------------
Be seeing you.

Posted By: oldskool
Date Posted: 13 November 2012 at 11:17am
Ian.

No sooner said than done sir.

-------------
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies

Date Posted: 13 November 2012 at 11:21am
I should imagine it'll be in "JBL-man" standard...Wink

-------------
music is the message

Date Posted: 13 November 2012 at 5:01pm
  Phwoar!! 

Why did we have to get invaded by all this chinese tat, we should still be making gear like that.

Date Posted: 13 November 2012 at 7:57pm
More people want cheap gear then expensive gear, especially in the middle to low market end. That's why it happens. It's only supply and demand.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 November 2012 at 8:34pm
  The thing is though, most of these people that buy cheap gear end up blowing it up not long after, then chuck it in the bin and go out and buy more cheap junk and they end up spending more cash than decent kit, that would have lasted longer, would have cost (I know, I've done it myself)!! Cry

Date Posted: 13 November 2012 at 9:18pm
Originally posted by njw njw wrote:

The thing is though, most of these people that buy cheap gear end up blowing it up not long after, then chuck it in the bin and go out and buy more cheap junk and they end up spending more cash than decent kit, that would have lasted longer, would have cost (I know, I've done it myself)!! Cry

That's been going on for years, I used to have kids come into the shop to buy Soundlab turntables every week I always tried to convince them to buy sl1210/1200's but they'd always go for the cheap option only to come back a few month's sometimes weeks later to arrange finance on the Technics.

Good kit is expensive for a reason but some people will always go for the cheap way out until it fails them and then and only then it sinks in why it's cheap in the first place.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2023 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net