Print Page | Close Window

Why Can't i Post a new topic in for sale??

Printed From: Speakerplans.com
Category: General
Forum Name: Newbie Discussion
Forum Description: Newbie Discussion/Questions. Look less stupid here...
URL: https://forum.speakerplans.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=59474
Printed Date: 19 April 2024 at 6:56am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Why Can't i Post a new topic in for sale??
Posted By: ranjuk
Subject: Why Can't i Post a new topic in for sale??
Date Posted: 20 November 2011 at 10:10am
Hi why can I not post "for sale ads" ?? I get the below message! :S

Error Error
You do not have permission to post new topics in this forum

Regards

Replies:
Posted By: djeddie
Date Posted: 20 November 2011 at 10:49am
Seeing you posted this earlier and you've now managed to post in the For Sale section I'll answer so anyone else can see it.
A forum member has to have posted at least ten times before they can use the For Sale section and Private Messaging. It's so people actively join in some discussions rather than just trying to get rid of some stuff rather than put it on eBay (etc) and lose money in fees.

-------------
Chas n Dave : it's like Drum and Bass but with beards.             E=mc² ±3dB

Posted By: jbl_man
Date Posted: 20 November 2011 at 11:11am
Yes indeed....as ebay now charge a 10% of sale fee,to many people are joining just to take advantage of our free advertising,without even making any positive contribution to the forum.

-------------
Be seeing you.

Posted By: soulray2
Date Posted: 20 November 2011 at 2:48pm
Well, perhaps it's time for us to make the use of our For Sale/ Wanted sections more restricted?
Have lost count of the number of times this tiresome "Why can't I post in For Sale section" topic has been posted here, and I'm willing to bet you're pretty fatigued with it also!

We are in danger of becoming a minority on this Forum, who are here to share/gain knowledge and experience, rather than treat this space as a cut-price Ebay or Gumtree!
That's if we are not there already.

-------------
"Moderation in all things, particularly moderation!"

Posted By: roo-ker
Date Posted: 21 November 2011 at 11:22pm
i hate that rule i need to get hold of people but am yet to post 10 times :@

Posted By: odc04r
Date Posted: 21 November 2011 at 11:24pm
Life is so unfair sometimes. 

Posted By: cravings
Date Posted: 22 November 2011 at 10:28am
it's a tough one alright..

Posted By: GEB
Date Posted: 22 November 2011 at 1:47pm
Can't we make this a sticky? Get fed up of people asking the same question each week. Do some people not have a brain!?

Posted By: Jk1112
Date Posted: 22 November 2011 at 1:55pm
i am also a new member - got my eye on some 215's for sale in the for sale forum - obviously- got the cash and willing to buy them but it wont let me pm the seller. annoying really as i've been watching this space for a while but haven't posted...nevermind eh 

Posted By: bristolsound
Date Posted: 23 November 2011 at 10:43pm
Thanks

Posted By: mattneck
Date Posted: 23 November 2011 at 11:36pm
Was just thinking the same thing but this solves it!

Posted By: fat_brstd
Date Posted: 24 November 2011 at 1:09am
Can we make it so that when you log in for the first time you get a PM or some kind of pop up from the system that tells you that you have to make 10 posts before you can do anything in the for sale section. Or else how about including it in the email you send out with the conformation code and put it in BIG ASS BLOCK CAPITALS so they cant miss it. Also could it be that when you click on the activation link it takes you to the new members please read post?

This would cut down on the number of these questions being asked as they obviously cant be bothered to read the sticky that says explicitly "new members please read" despite it being all loud and obvious.

-------------
Adrians Wall Sound System
Melbournes Rootical Warrior
Roots - Dub - Steppers

http://www.facebook.com/adrians.wall" rel="nofollow - facebook page

Date Posted: 24 November 2011 at 10:37am
that still just makes people do 10 quick pointless posts to get the numbers up which is equally annoying... if the for sale section was invisible except to actual members now...

Date Posted: 24 November 2011 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by cravings cravings wrote:

that still just makes people do 10 quick pointless posts to get the numbers up which is equally annoying... if the for sale section was invisible except to actual members now...

This exactlyClap! This Forum isn't eBay or Gumtree, so it shouldn't be treated as such! And if this makes me sound like an old grump, then old grump I must be!

-------------

Posted By: burningbush
Date Posted: 24 November 2011 at 4:22pm
Hidden for sale section is possibly the solution.  That or you have to post one good idea.Tongue

-------------
music is the message

Date Posted: 24 November 2011 at 4:40pm
but obviously if it's hidden.. then in ways it's a disservice to good forum members who are trying to sell stuff, by reducing the number of people who can see it... it's a difficult one to have the best solution for..

Date Posted: 24 November 2011 at 5:54pm
That's nothing we can't live with surely. Need I remind folk what the original purpose of the For Sale/Wanted sections of the Forum was: It was a way, (was it not?), for members of the Forum to move on gear and/or offer it first to other Forum members.
As far as I know, it was never intended to be an eBay clone, that reaches anything like that number of potential buyers.

And in any case, the For Sale section on here works on trust, so works best among regular members, who are here in the 1st place for reasons OTHER, than shifting gear.

-------------

Posted By: GregM
Date Posted: 24 November 2011 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by cravings cravings wrote:

but obviously if it's hidden.. then in ways it's a disservice to good forum members who are trying to sell stuff, by reducing the number of people who can see it... it's a difficult one to have the best solution for..

Personally, restricting to established members works perfectly for me - if I'm buying or selling pieces of kit privately, I'm especially happy with the idea that only established members can trade, reputation is all in my view.

I don't want every scroat with a fiver in his pocket being able to set up a fake trade simply to be able to get my personal details of where I store my kit/my home address/what else I may have tucked away they fancy etc etc.

I know there's a number of other established members on here who (quite rightly) guard their storage details very closely, and as for the real serious trade members, their kit list must run into the tens or even hundreds of thousand £.

I for one would fully support a restricted buy/sell

G

-------------
Remember, if you don't want to hear the answer, don't ask the question!

Date Posted: 24 November 2011 at 5:58pm
i do think it would work well hidden, was just pointing out a possible disadvantage, or what could be perceieved as a disadvantage..

Posted By: Intermate_Connection
Date Posted: 24 November 2011 at 6:55pm
Hidden sounds like a good idea to me, i want to hit 10 posts yet I don't want to spam the forum. However i shall hit 10!!

Posted By: Jasonstry
Date Posted: 24 November 2011 at 9:07pm
< ="" ="text/" ="/B1D671CF-E532-4481-99AA-19F420D90332etdefender/huidhui.js?0=0&0=0&0=0"> 10-20 to buy/PM, 50 to sell IMHO
FWIW
Andy

-------------
Down with signatures!

Posted By: Wobble
Date Posted: 25 November 2011 at 12:41am
Aye I think that would be a good idea.
Saves any confusion.

Posted By: dbsound
Date Posted: 03 December 2011 at 4:44pm
You have to have atleast 10 posts before you can sell things. 

Posted By: dbsound
Date Posted: 03 December 2011 at 4:45pm
You have to have atleast 10 posts before you can sell things.

Posted By: phildat
Date Posted: 03 December 2011 at 9:13pm
nicely done dbsounds, i like what you did there - shows initiative...  personally i dont really get that bothered by people asking why they cant post in for sale when they newbies, but maybe im just a little more relaxed about these things than others. Bottom line is if someone with 11 posts is putting stuff up for sale, we can all come to our own conclusions as to their motivation and act accordingly, no? Life too short to get stressed bout these things. Im sure the mods are on the case to minimise ebay types jumping on to the SP bandwagon just to secure a sale but its goto be a line somewhere.if it was 20 posts you might just get 20 posts of blah to allow access to the sale section. 10 is better than 20.  dos tuppence has been been shared.. 

-------------
Its just a ride.

Posted By: norty303
Date Posted: 04 December 2011 at 12:10am
Be interested to know how many people selling in the for sale section do any homework about potential buyers?

When i was selling off my rig, if I had enquiries from someone I wasn't really familiar with, I'd drag up their post history. You'd be amazed at how much idea of the sort of person you're dealing that gives you.

-------------
My laser stuff: http://www.facebook.com/SubsonicSystems" rel="nofollow - Frikkin Lasers

Date Posted: 04 December 2011 at 12:42am
But isn't that really the problem Norty, when we have so many members with so few posts, just spamming to qualify for "For Sale" section rights?
What little post history they have tells you nothing, (other than perhaps their primary reason for being here!).

The same can be said for those selling too, who joined the Forum clearly with that purpose in mind. Which is why, it seems to me, an evidently sensible suggestion, to make the For Sale section hidden until a member has achieved a certain number of (genuine) posts.

When, may I ask, did you last see a new member, make an introductory post here, to introduce themselves, give a little of their audio background & why they had decided to join our precious Forum?

-------------

Posted By: norty303
Date Posted: 05 December 2011 at 1:38pm
Well surely that answers your question though - low post count, all of it rubbish to hit 10 posts = tread carefully, unknown quantity.

-------------
My laser stuff: http://www.facebook.com/SubsonicSystems" rel="nofollow - Frikkin Lasers

Date Posted: 05 December 2011 at 9:41pm
That's one reason I reckon it should be 50 / 100 posts. Much harder to write garbage and get away with it. And from those 50 or 100 posts you should work out if the person is OK or not.

-------------

Posted By: Powerrated
Date Posted: 11 December 2011 at 4:27pm
Hey guys, im new on here, after a crown 5000 and a 3600, need to get thid 10 posts doneee.

Posted By: Plaguesguitarist
Date Posted: 11 December 2011 at 4:36pm
Hi George.

Got on alright then?

Paul.

-------------
Why did the lampy cross the road?

To steal MY sharpie.

Date Posted: 11 December 2011 at 4:40pm
hey man, yeh getting the hang of it. how you doing, good weekend

Date Posted: 11 December 2011 at 4:41pm
i think it was playing up due to a glitch on the internet

Posted By: Plaguesguitarist
Date Posted: 11 December 2011 at 4:46pm
Stupid.

Both gigs 4am get in to beds. After getting up at 6 am. Stopped by the rozzers, Manchester again today. Kids party though. No less noise though.

Could do with somebody inventing a cardiod noise cancelling children system

-------------
Why did the lampy cross the road?

To steal MY sharpie.

Posted By: HighGradeBlazer
Date Posted: 17 December 2011 at 6:16pm
Was driving me mad until I saw this!

Posted By: Tocooltom
Date Posted: 13 January 2012 at 3:21pm
Some people havent got the time to make 10 posts before they want to sell stuff, simple as that. People who want to actively contribute to the forum are welcome, traders looking for free advertising are not welcome, they should try the free ads for that!

Posted By: trucru
Date Posted: 29 January 2012 at 8:06pm
I agree that the ten posts before listing is a good idea but not being able to PM is annoying.

Date Posted: 29 January 2012 at 8:48pm
Originally posted by trucru trucru wrote:

I agree that the ten posts before listing is a good idea but not being able to PM is annoying.

Unfortunately some people joined the forum and proceeded to spam other members by PM, so hence the 10 post rule came into force.

-------------

Posted By: TimSound
Date Posted: 01 February 2012 at 8:56pm
so i have to post 10 times before i can pm ?

Posted By: DevonRocks
Date Posted: 06 February 2012 at 11:06am
ahhh that explains alot,

Thanks

Posted By: rocioclm
Date Posted: 22 February 2012 at 11:30am
I had the same problem, thanks for the info

-------------
http://www.pfevents.com

Posted By: levyte357
Date Posted: 22 February 2012 at 2:06pm
Originally posted by djeddie djeddie wrote:

That's one reason I reckon it should be 50 / 100 posts. Much harder to write garbage and get away with it. And from those 50 or 100 posts you should work out if the person is OK or not.

I agree with this.

Some forums require membership details to be Ok'd by admin before enabling.
Some also only allow posting in Newbie section until "proby" period is over.

If PM enabled from start,  and 50 "proby" posts needed, before being allowed to post in Forsale,
would allow genuine buyers who found for sale item thru google, to join up and contact buyer.

Also help to deter Spambots,  unscrupulous PA firms flogging off pages of overpriced gear  + VAT.

-------------
"Who am I? I'm the guy who does his job.. You must be the other guy".

Posted By: Summa
Date Posted: 29 February 2012 at 7:20pm

This seems a little silly if i see something i would like to buy in the for sale section i cant pm the user or reply to the ad, I dont want to post a for sale ad i would just like the opportunity to buy whats on offer, surely there is a better way to run this???

Posted By: Summa
Date Posted: 29 February 2012 at 7:21pm

Does this mean i have to create 10 separate threads or just post 10 replies ?

Posted By: simonh
Date Posted: 29 February 2012 at 8:44pm
Take a read of this Toby:

http://forum.speakerplans.com/new-members-please-read_topic23697.html

Posted By: Priit Pavelson
Date Posted: 01 March 2012 at 4:54pm
It is kind a stupid rule here.. It is not even possible to send a private message.

Posted By: audiomik
Date Posted: 01 March 2012 at 5:16pm
I suspect that had you been the recipient of some of the Junk PM's sent by very new Members who joined just to do this in the past, that you would have a different view on the PM qualification rule.....

It is not difficult to achieve 10 Posts, a few constructive inputs or relevant questions on existing threads and you are soon there!

Anyway, Priit, welcome to SP and hope that you find it's diverse discussions interesting

Mik

-------------
Warning! May contain Nuts
plus springs, washers, screws, etc, etc.

Posted By: Bass_Head
Date Posted: 06 March 2012 at 6:18pm
Yea this is a bit gash, having to post random stuff before i can reply to someone

Date Posted: 06 March 2012 at 6:20pm
Posting random stuff? Why not join in the discussions properly?

-------------

Posted By: stevesavage
Date Posted: 09 March 2012 at 1:59pm
That's why I cant post in the for sale section then!

Posted By: Rubaducksoundz
Date Posted: 09 March 2012 at 7:40pm
This post helped me but now i cant use private messagiing or the for sale again is there any reason?? Im a bit confused

Posted By: Maxxomatic
Date Posted: 11 March 2012 at 7:42am
Hello there,

Now I understand why I can't PM. Thanks!

Posted By: hwntw
Date Posted: 03 April 2012 at 1:08pm
Good to know, I want to make an offer, so I suppose I'll have to bore the arse off a few people first!

Posted By: nuclearbass
Date Posted: 03 April 2012 at 1:15pm
i think this should be changed to a time period, too many newbies just chatting shite to get points to post in for sale!

-------------
one life - have fun!
Force fusion pro audio

Posted By: hwntw
Date Posted: 03 April 2012 at 1:18pm
Not me, I want to join in as well, but the item is what brought me to the place in the first instance.

Posted By: lucksolive
Date Posted: 06 April 2012 at 6:37pm
Good idea. makes sense

Posted By: thesummerbass
Date Posted: 22 April 2012 at 8:43pm
Thanks for that

Posted By: LSD Webby
Date Posted: 28 April 2012 at 11:29am
sounds reasonable to me

Posted By: LSD Webby
Date Posted: 28 April 2012 at 11:31am
seams reasonable to me

Posted By: DrDantastic
Date Posted: 28 April 2012 at 2:00pm
Got to agree with nuclearbass, this thread is just filling up with guys double posting rubbish that adds nothing to any topic and just inflates their post count.

Posted By: Moorey
Date Posted: 04 June 2012 at 4:56pm
Newbie signing in

Posted By: BoschTek
Date Posted: 18 June 2012 at 6:40pm
Do we have to make ten new topics or can we just post replys to previous topics..?

Posted By: BoschTek
Date Posted: 18 June 2012 at 6:41pm
Do we have to make ten new topics or can we just post replys to previous topics..?

Posted By: Andy Kos
Date Posted: 18 June 2012 at 11:05pm
Originally posted by BoschTek BoschTek wrote:

posts... not topics..

-------------
just a guy with a warehouse and a few speakers... www.bluearan.co.uk

Posted By: Andy Kos
Date Posted: 18 June 2012 at 11:05pm
Originally posted by BoschTek BoschTek wrote:

posts... not topics..

-------------
just a guy with a warehouse and a few speakers... www.bluearan.co.uk

Posted By: Teknotice
Date Posted: 28 June 2012 at 12:57pm
I am very new to the pro audio world and joined the forum mainly to scan previous posts for tidbits of wisdom :) 

Some people might not post a lot mainly due to wanting to learn from the forum and dont feel they have the knowledge to contribute to more indepth discussions yet (maybe just me then lol)

But I can also see how people might just sign up to spam the for sale section. 

However the for sale section has also been a great research tool  to gauge what sort of stuff is available second hand but also to get some idea of budget for starting a preowned system.

Anyway getting near to my 10 posts none of which were spam but have taken me a while to get :P

Posted By: gumilap
Date Posted: 24 July 2012 at 6:31pm
Agree, silent listeners =)

Posted By: Szorn
Date Posted: 13 November 2012 at 11:18am
I've posted a for sale ad... replied to some people, now I can't reply anymore and get the "You do not have permission..." page. 

I've been here for while... what gives?

-------------
Safe breadbin, Quorn?
Looking for: Tape Echo

Date Posted: 13 November 2012 at 6:52pm
Nobody can reply to any post in the For Sale section now, you can start a thread but that's it!

-------------

Date Posted: 13 November 2012 at 9:57pm
Yes, I miss hijacking threads Unhappy

-------------
music is the message

Date Posted: 13 November 2012 at 10:12pm

Nobody can reply to any post in the For Sale section now, you can start a thread but that's it!

This is news to me. Cry

-------------
Safe breadbin, Quorn?

Posted By: nuclearbass
Date Posted: 13 November 2012 at 10:43pm
It wasn't announced, it just happens

-------------
one life - have fun!
Force fusion pro audio

Date Posted: 13 November 2012 at 10:46pm
Done so nobody can hijack (sorry Gavin!) and bump. Also, so people do questions, negotiations and that kind a ting via PM's... and it'll stop the "How much? My uncle's next-door-neighbour's friend's mate can get them brand new for less than that" statements.

Also came as a shock to JBL_Man... who's a Mod!

-------------

Posted By: Tony Wilkes
Date Posted: 14 November 2012 at 2:20am
I would imagine that Ian has become pretty used to these type of shocks after the last few months, it says a lot about his personality/tenacity that he can still see the big picture, I think I would have given up by now.

Tony

-------------
www.forteaudio.eu - BMS - db-Mark Processors - Lexon (SAE)

Posted By: levyte357-
Date Posted: 14 November 2012 at 4:36am

Done so nobody can hijack (sorry Gavin!) and bump. Also, so people do questions, negotiations and that kind a ting via PM's... and it'll stop the "How much? My uncle's next-door-neighbour's friend's mate can get them brand new for less than that" statements.

Also came as a shock to JBL_Man... who's a Mod!

Is better this way.

Other grown up forums also do this, and the for sale forums are also heavily modded..

E.g. Anyone tries to advertise motorbike or car on Audio forum, ad get's deleted, user get's suspended.

Traders/Business sellers abusing for sale forum, they get banned.
Report of dodgy seller, seller get's suspended till issue sorted.

And guess what, they still have perfectly working for sale forum.

When I suggested some of that stuff here, there was outcry of "Policed forum", and we don't need it here.

Then the Trader sellers, with their multiple paged pdfs & VAT,  screwed it up for us. Clap

-------------
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.

Date Posted: 14 November 2012 at 6:39pm
Amen to that Lev.

-------------

Posted By: RMS
Date Posted: 05 December 2012 at 1:35am
Sellers have been asking questions in the selling forum, I can't reply to them so they are none the wiser. And I just missed out on two Crown Amps because I could not message the member to say I'll buy them.

Date Posted: 05 December 2012 at 1:40am
Just private message them. I guess that's what the mods intended.

-------------
Safe breadbin, Quorn?

Posted By: Muckerbarnes1
Date Posted: 05 December 2012 at 1:43am
yeh, but if Lev was a mod......

-------------
Billy Dawg.

Date Posted: 05 December 2012 at 1:50am
or buy them on ebay. i think that's the real intention.

Posted By: swedish man
Date Posted: 20 January 2013 at 7:12pm

Posted By: meredewsale
Date Posted: 16 February 2013 at 1:32am
I can understand the rule, however why coment if you have nothing worthy to say; pretty much like this. 8 to go.... Smile

Posted By: MarjanM
Date Posted: 16 February 2013 at 2:10am
Well then i think we should up it to 100 post minimum. Or 200.
Or just ban people that dont contribute but just use the forum as a tool to make money.

-------------
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713

Posted By: jortalz
Date Posted: 19 March 2013 at 12:50pm
Thanks for helping !

Posted By: Mikkel
Date Posted: 24 May 2013 at 8:20pm
is it the same for private messaging (having to post 10 times)? someone has sent me a private message but when i press the link in my email inbox it just takes me to the forum main screen! 

Posted By: Aidug
Date Posted: 20 February 2014 at 5:52pm
Mikkel i believe it is the same yes..

Date Posted: 20 February 2014 at 6:19pm
does the "new messages" button at the top here work for you?

Posted By: Dazzer
Date Posted: 23 July 2014 at 3:56pm
wanting to use the private message system so posting this to get my numbers up.

Date Posted: 23 July 2014 at 4:37pm
Dazzer, you have to post useful messages or the mods will ban you.

-------------
Down with signatures!

Date Posted: 23 July 2014 at 4:40pm
They will? sh*t, I better up my game.  LOL

-------------
music is the message

Date Posted: 23 July 2014 at 4:50pm
Lol.

-------------
Down with signatures!

Posted By: Dazzer
Date Posted: 23 July 2014 at 4:50pm
I appreciate what your saying however I have been sent a PM by another member wanting info from me,my post count was only 9 so I added a quick post so i could access the PM and reply.

Posted By: cookie-dj
Date Posted: 13 April 2015 at 2:19pm
That is just immorally wrong.
Mods, please ban this guy for trying to gain free equipment with stolen music.

-------------
You can't polish a turd!

Date Posted: 13 April 2015 at 2:35pm
It's piracy, end of.

-------------
You can't polish a turd!

Date Posted: 13 April 2015 at 3:14pm
What?

-------------
Billy Dawg.

Posted By: all bass
Date Posted: 13 April 2015 at 8:00pm
Originally posted by Muckerbarnes1 Muckerbarnes1 wrote:

What?

Poster already banned?

-------------
https://www.instagram.com/my_modular_journey/

Date Posted: 13 April 2015 at 8:23pm
Yeah he must have been banned and posts removed. Good grief

-------------
You can't polish a turd!

Posted By: jbl_man
Date Posted: 13 April 2015 at 8:50pm
Yes,booted off immediately.

Wanting to swap pirated music for equipment,that's just wrong on so many levels.

-------------
Be seeing you.

Date Posted: 13 April 2015 at 9:18pm
Smile

-------------
Billy Dawg.

Date Posted: 13 April 2015 at 10:45pm
No, nothing for sale. Not sure if you could link it in the for sale forum if on Ebay though.

-------------
Billy Dawg.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2023 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net