Print Page | Close Window

Wow - Been maxing out my Q6600, Which C2Q Next?

Printed From: Speakerplans.com
Category: Other Chat
Forum Name: Computer Talk
Forum Description: Help and discussion about your manly PC or girly Mac
URL: https://forum.speakerplans.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=72600
Printed Date: 28 March 2024 at 11:20am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Wow - Been maxing out my Q6600, Which C2Q Next?
Posted By: levyte357-
Subject: Wow - Been maxing out my Q6600, Which C2Q Next?
Date Posted: 15 November 2012 at 2:32am
Win 7x64, 16gb 1066 DDR3, 1TB main drive, El cheapo 250gb swap drive.

With FF (5x tabs), Chrome (5x tabs), Outlook, Windows Live Mail, Excel, Adobe, running, every now and then, unacceptable 1/2 a second pause, and all 4x cpu performance meters reaching 80-90%. Shocked.

Not ready for Core I5 21xx yet, is Q9xxx chip worth considering ?

-------------
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.

Replies:
Posted By: mini-mad
Date Posted: 15 November 2012 at 6:50am
theres not as much in it as people or test make out... overclock the Q66 and water cool it for now...

my 6320 is over clocked to 2.4G and runs 4gig on Win7-64 on a 128SSD.. quick as fcuk.

-------------
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.

Date Posted: 15 November 2012 at 6:51am
..or the Q8300-8400... and overclock that even... thas whats in my wifes (yes she gets the good stuff)

-------------

Posted By: TENSiON
Date Posted: 15 November 2012 at 6:52am
Deffo not your CPU that is at fault. Well, at least not if it isn't overheating (better check the temps, should be well bellow 60deg). The fan (or the heatsink itself) could be clogged up.

On another note, if it is mostly the browsers where you notice the pauses, then the cause might be javascript related processing in FF/Chrome. It's strange that it would happen with only so few tabs open, but still a possibility. The JS garbage collector & memory cycle collector are quite shite (especially in FF) and can cause such spikes in some situations.

As a general advice, make sure to restart the browsers at least once a day, and allways keep them up to date (new versions tend to include performance/memory fixes). And seeing that you are running a 64bit OS, I would also advice to replace Firefox with its younger 64bit brother, Waterfox (google it). It is still firefox, but compiled for 64bit, and apart from that also includes various performance improovements.

And if it's not the browsers, then use the task manager to find the culprit:
CTRL+ALT+DEL -> Start Task Manager -> Processes -> CPU
and check what process is eating the most CPU durring those spikes.

But the bottom like still is, that your CPU should handle all those things you've listed without much trouble.

Date Posted: 15 November 2012 at 7:00am
personallyi thought he was asking about upgrade path as appose to "fixing" the pauses....

but yes nothing a declutter and hoovering out wont solve.

..and do convert over to a SSD boot drive wen you can. it makes a huge difference. mine, my wifes and my 6 year olds laptop all running SSD's and it makes my life easier wen my girls dont complain about sluggish computers.

-------------

Date Posted: 15 November 2012 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by TENSiON TENSiON wrote:

On another note, if it is mostly the browsers where you notice the pauses, then the cause might be javascript related processing in FF/Chrome.

Agreed...

I broke my golden rule of "NEVER"  opening FB games in FF, and that was a major culprit.. Dead

Will take a look at Waterfox x64.

Built this machine approx 18 months ago, and only 2x Windows crashes I've had, were due to beta installs of FF x64.. Dead

-------------

Date Posted: 15 November 2012 at 12:44pm
Just read Waterfox is packed with all kinds of adware/crapware.. Ermm

Any of  you guys tried PaleMoon?

-------------

Posted By: toastyghost
Date Posted: 15 November 2012 at 1:01pm
Just get an SSD. A three year old machine with an SSD will urinate all over your beast of a desktop from great height in general computing.

Oh and ditch buggy, slow, leaky Firefox already.

Posted By: Sinai Sound
Date Posted: 15 November 2012 at 1:11pm
The problem you'll have is that any "better" C2Q will cost about the same as a better i5 chip

I used to have a QX9650 years ago and that clocked like a beast, 4.4Ghz on water or something daft, but 

If I was in your position I'd buy an SSD

Date Posted: 15 November 2012 at 1:12pm
Chrome?

Sacked off firefox a while ago now

Posted By: grazzeee
Date Posted: 15 November 2012 at 1:27pm
restart your pc in safe mode, browse around in chrome as you do... if you still get the laggy pauses then you know its hard ware related. other wise try a fresh install of windows xp. you might have downloaded or navigated to a site that has installed some thing running in the back ground. 

your specs should not be giving you lag as you described. 

Date Posted: 15 November 2012 at 1:39pm
Haven't dumped FF yet, due to Chrome not supporting Noscript.

128gB SSD for the SYSTEM partition may be the way forward..

Does SSD still have usage life limited by number of writes ?

-------------

Date Posted: 15 November 2012 at 2:31pm
In a fashion

I've heard 5 years give or take - by the time it's due for replacing, much larger and cheaper ones will be available for the money 

Of course it all depends on what you are doing with the PC, but for general light use for a limited amount of hours per day, you'd be safe

Wouldn't recommend one in a SQL server that's turned on 24 hours a day with multiple users connected to it.........but I don't think that's what you're doing Tongue

The other thing to consider (but also not to worry about) is the fact you'll be running a SATA2 motherboard - Limited to about 285MBs transfer rate

To get the best out of an SSD (well a new fast one at any rate) you need SATA3 

I'm running one in my 3 year old core i7 PC that's on SATA2 quite happily 

Check the write speeds also, some have mega fast read, but not so impressive write

Date Posted: 15 November 2012 at 2:32pm
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/notscripts/odjhifogjcknibkahlpidmdajjpkkcfn

?

Date Posted: 15 November 2012 at 4:04pm
Originally posted by levyte357- levyte357- wrote:

Just read Waterfox is packed with all kinds of adware/crapware.. Ermm

Sorry, but have to call BS on that one.

The last bit of what could by a very loooong stretch be called "adware" was dropped allready around V12 (now V16), and even that was just a bundled anti-virus plugin by AVAST, which could be unchecked durring install. But even that is history now.. The latest versions are clean as it gets, tho it's still a good idea to carefully check every bit of available options the installer is offering, as like with any other software it's of course not guaranteed that something might get included (but still optional!) in the future.

SSDs are great for their speed and access times, but it won't help with CPU spikes. Unless your current HDD is faulty and is the primary cause of the spikes in the first place.

Date Posted: 15 November 2012 at 5:18pm

SSDs are great for their speed and access times, but it won't help with CPU spikes. Unless your current HDD is faulty and is the primary cause of the spikes in the first place.

After closer investigation, for the main part, seems spikes were due to dormant FF/FB tab, on FB game, for few hours. How inconsiderate of me.

Would say 90% of the issue, is which browser I use with FB.

This hogged CPU/net bandwidth, and affected other apps running.

FF being hefty and leaky is definite issue.

Anyone else experiencing increase in number of Flash crashes !?

-------------

Date Posted: 15 November 2012 at 5:54pm
FB and its relatives clogging up the browser with wasteful JS garbage?! Shocked

How..."surprising" LOL

"A bunch of 10yo kids let loose after a 6 hours long PHP-for-dummies turbo course + 3 hours of the same for JS" - Yea, I'm talking about FB "developers" in the first 2 years of its existence Wacko They might have learned something over the past years, but it's still pretty much a catastrophy at times..

It is true that FF has a history for clunky JS/memory handling (mostly the garbage/cycle collection engine), but in this case I would rather put the blame on the FB/game developers, especially their optimization skillz..

Try the http://www.waterfoxproject.org" rel="nofollow -

Posted By: odc04r
Date Posted: 15 November 2012 at 6:20pm
I'd drop FB and keep Firefox. I know what's more useful.

Or use noscript and/or a greasemonkey script to keep nuisance JS to a minimum.

Date Posted: 15 November 2012 at 6:21pm
Originally posted by odc04r odc04r wrote:

I'd drop FB and keep Firefox. I know what's more useful.

Or use noscript and/or a greasemonkey script to keep nuisance JS to a minimum.

Had discovered this while back, and clean forgot to never pollute FF with FB games.

Try the http://www.waterfoxproject.org" rel="nofollow -

Posted By: Djdarch
Date Posted: 15 November 2012 at 10:47pm
Drop me a line Levyte i have a qx9650 id sell , its a proper beast . I also have a dell xps 730 with a qx9770 which is the beast of beasts thats packin an ssd and 2tb storage up for grabs for not a lot if you wanted something complete....

Posted By: toastyghost
Date Posted: 15 November 2012 at 11:03pm
Originally posted by Sinai Sound Sinai Sound wrote:

In a fashion

I've heard 5 years give or take - by the time it's due for replacing, much larger and cheaper ones will be available for the money 

Of course it all depends on what you are doing with the PC, but for general light use for a limited amount of hours per day, you'd be safe

Wouldn't recommend one in a SQL server that's turned on 24 hours a day with multiple users connected to it.........but I don't think that's what you're doing Tongue

The other thing to consider (but also not to worry about) is the fact you'll be running a SATA2 motherboard - Limited to about 285MBs transfer rate

To get the best out of an SSD (well a new fast one at any rate) you need SATA3 

I'm running one in my 3 year old core i7 PC that's on SATA2 quite happily 

Check the write speeds also, some have mega fast read, but not so impressive write

There are several datacentres running on SSDs without issue, and the write limit is insanely high for the average user.

Date Posted: 16 November 2012 at 7:13am
wow!! this thread exploded a little didnt it? lol

...as i said to many people in the past and very early on in this thread, just listen to the subtle advice i give and all will be well.

" ... convert over to an SSD boot drive wen you can"

simple and effective. i dont give advice on computers that i havent vigorously tested myself. theres loads of "info" in the 'net about the pros and cons of many different upgrades, downgrades and sideways-grades.... all my advice is from years of cutting out the crap and hype and road testing the stuff that works.

i have 1 flagship rig (the wifes), the video/game rig (mine) and my daughters laptop. none of them crash and my daughters laptop rarely stutters. (now starting to sound like a sales pitch...) but if you just adhear to the simple advice in life sh1t very rarely goes wrong

NOW GO OUT AND BUY A SODDING SSD BOOT DRIVE!!!!!

thanks for listening  

-------------

Date Posted: 16 November 2012 at 9:46am
Originally posted by mini-mad mini-mad wrote:

i have 1 flagship rig (the wifes), the video/game rig (mine) and my daughters laptop. none of them crash and my daughters laptop rarely stutters. (now starting to sound like a sales pitch...) but if you just adhear to the simple advice in life sh1t very rarely goes wrong

NOW GO OUT AND BUY A SODDING SSD BOOT DRIVE!!!!!

thanks for listening  

LOL

'Sodding SSD.

Must be a new manufacturer, never heard of them. LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 16 November 2012 at 9:57am
While we're here, talking about moving Win 7x64 to a new SSD Disk, what are the best free/paid for disk utilities to do this?

And I mean industrial grade that always works, like Partition Manager 8 for XP.

I really miss that on Win 7. Cry

-------------

Date Posted: 16 November 2012 at 9:10pm
I find very few work well or properly... cloneing a drive on like for like works ok but wen migrating a fresh install is always a must.

And yes 'sodding ssd also make 'poxy psu's too

-------------

Posted By: darkmatter
Date Posted: 19 November 2012 at 3:13pm
Fresh re-install is best imo.

Allows you to install latest drivers when you do it etc. too, rather than transferring over a whole load of redundant crap.

Posted By: shagnasty
Date Posted: 19 November 2012 at 11:54pm
MSI 990FX and a Piledriver 8350!!!

Date Posted: 20 November 2012 at 10:55am
and a pentium pro 200MMX.... im telling you its the nutts... wait, sorry, wrong decade

-------------

Date Posted: 20 November 2012 at 11:08am

and a pentium pro 200MMX.... im telling you its the nutts... wait, sorry, wrong decade

Was over rated.LOL

AMD Athlons & Durons are what really put the fire under Intel's a*s.

Back to the future, now using Waterfox & Chrome as opposed to FF, no more issues, (so far).

SSD feasibility study concluded, waiting for approval from Finance department (wallet).

-------------

Date Posted: 20 November 2012 at 5:32pm
Originally posted by levyte357- levyte357- wrote:

Was over rated.LOL

AMD Athlons & Durons are what really put the fire under Intel's a*s.

Back to the future, now using Waterfox & Chrome as opposed to FF, no more issues, (so far).

SSD feasibility study concluded, waiting for approval from Finance department (wallet wife).

if you look deep enuff in the early days (and i do mean early!) AMD mad a hell of a lot of intels chips for them as intel couldnt cope with supply and manufacture Big smile

but yes a duron 750 running at 1066 was my first serious chunck of fun as i loved my K6-2 450 running at 550 with the worst heatsink on the planet Embarrassed

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2023 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net