Forum Description: Advanced discussion area for higher lifeforms
URL: https://forum.speakerplans.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=74081
Printed Date: 28 March 2024 at 9:39pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: What compression driver?
Posted By: JamesFlipside
Subject: What compression driver?
Date Posted: 30 November 2012 at 10:02am
What are peoples feelings and experience with different compression drivers?
I'm looking for a 1.4" driver to cross over with the mids at about 2k on quite a soft slope.
My preference has always been Beyma generally but i've been looking at Faital Pro recently and they look pretty sweet! anyone use these?
Also there's BMS but the only dedicated HF compression they do is Ferrite... Still though?
J

-------------
"DFA switch fitted"

Replies:
Posted By: Peter Jan
Date Posted: 30 November 2012 at 12:36pm
I have tried about every available driver from all brands on a variety of horns and still keep coming out with B&C. Though other brands have good drivers too, but B&C always comes on top especially in the 1" and 1.4" drivers.

B&C DE-900/910/912 is absolute first choice in 1.4" for me.
Beyma CP-755/Nd or CP-755/Ti also real good sounding drivers, just less efficient than the B&C. I don't care what the spec sheets say, the difference is audible and shows clearly in measuring.

Posted By: JamesFlipside
Date Posted: 30 November 2012 at 12:49pm
OK fine but they only do one horn for 1.4" drivers and in need 60x40 dispersion 

-------------
"DFA switch fitted"

Posted By: Peter Jan
Date Posted: 30 November 2012 at 1:36pm
You mean the ME90 horn ?
Hmm yes, but considdering the fact you are going to cross fairly high (~2k), there are other brands/models that could fit the bill. 18Sound, RCF, Beyma, BMS, ...

Posted By: Earplug
Date Posted: 30 November 2012 at 5:21pm
Why not 2":

http://www.p-audio.co.uk/products/P-Audio_BM-D750_100W_2_inch_Throat_Compression_Driver.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.p-audio.co.uk/products/P-Audio_BM-D750_100W_2_inch_Throat_Compression_Driver.html

Best value for money hf driver I´ve found.

-------------
Earplugs Are For Wimps!

Posted By: krazyneil
Date Posted: 30 November 2012 at 10:21pm
a question
why do you want to use an 1.4" comp driver when your crossing over that high ?
normally you use the bigger cd drivers so you can cross lower like 1.2/4

a good 1" driver would be more suitable i would of thought

ive had lots of good experiences with b&c and bms drivers so there worth looking at

-------------
GOD TOLD ME TO DO IT !!!!!

Posted By: Mircea Bartic
Date Posted: 30 November 2012 at 11:14pm
Originally posted by Earplug Earplug wrote:

Why not 2":

http://www.p-audio.co.uk/products/P-Audio_BM-D750_100W_2_inch_Throat_Compression_Driver.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.p-audio.co.uk/products/P-Audio_BM-D750_100W_2_inch_Throat_Compression_Driver.html

Best value for money hf driver I´ve found.

USE P-audio BM-D740

it's the same driver with a 1.4" exit.

Or see if you can get the P-audio SD-63BF
Sounds really goodClap

-------------
general manager & head designer at nexus-acoustics research
http://www.facebook.com/nexus.acoustics.research" rel="nofollow - http://www.facebook.com/nexus.acoustics.research

Ex Nexus_3

Posted By: king david
Date Posted: 01 December 2012 at 12:07am
if you cross at 2khz, b&c de250 is a very nice driver imho

-------------
http://www.warriorcharge.noblogs.org

Posted By: Tony Wilkes
Date Posted: 01 December 2012 at 11:00am
If it has to be 1.4" then have a look at the Faital HF144, but as been mentioned by others crossing at 2K then a good 1" will be suitable.

Tony

-------------
www.forteaudio.eu - BMS - db-Mark Processors - Lexon (SAE)

Posted By: ceharden
Date Posted: 01 December 2012 at 11:39am
Originally posted by JamesFlipside JamesFlipside wrote:

OK fine but they only do one horn for 1.4" drivers and in need 60x40 dispersion 

You can mix and match manufacturers for compression drivers and horns!

In terms of horns, I cannot recommend the 18Sound offerings highly enough.

As with all these things it comes down to how much you can afford to spend.  You're unlikely to be dissapointed by any of the offerings from the big name brands.  There's a reason why a lot of high end manufacturers have used B&C compression drivers for a long while.

As has been mentioned, a lot of the P-Audio offerings are a good option if you can't justify the big money drivers.  I've got some of the old SD-740's and am very happy with them.

Posted By: thepersonunknown
Date Posted: 02 December 2012 at 4:04am
sorry for the hyjack, but which 1 or 1.4, 1.5inch comp horn combos can play at 135db cont between 3kish and right up to 20k reasonably flat.

budget is more or less unlimited (in a reasonable way). just nothing silly, like unobtanium diaframs and grey diamond and ruby push plugs, or much worse.... audiophile hifi prices with directional wires, geothermal phase alignment coupleing paint and uber highly gometrically semi sperical cupola shaped diaframs (which is obviously a vast improvement over domes, which use only one noun and no adjectives or adverbs). pseudo science comes at a price, but hey, its great for the pseudo inteligent pseudo work hard for their money... only explanation i can think of, but then again im obviously tho thick to understand the value of these innovations

its not an an easy task. one option ive been weighing was to use 2 line array drivers, as a single comp which can do this seems a little elusive. perhaps ive been looking in the wrong places. extra points for non metalic diaframs.

what do we think?

cheers
dave

-------------
They keep telling me life is short, but its the longest thing ive ever done!!!

Posted By: TENSiON
Date Posted: 02 December 2012 at 6:06am
Originally posted by thepersonunknown thepersonunknown wrote:

sorry for the hyjack, but which 1 or 1.4, 1.5inch comp horn combos can play at 135db cont between 3kish and right up to 20k reasonably flat.

3k-20k, 135dB continuous, single driver/diaphragm(diafram)? Pretty much none (I know of).

Some of the BMS coaxials can theoretically do it, but those are technically 2 drivers/diaphragms (and for the price of 4 LOL).

Hard to even imagine a single driver with 300W rating and 110dB+ throughout the whole range (3k-20k), or 150W/113dB for that matter.. It doesn't seem to be too much of a stretch though (3-4dB), so there actually might be something exotic out there, who knows..

Many of the large format drivers can do those 135dB(cont) usually between 1k-3k. The better ones maybe like 0.8k-6k at best, but that's about..

Date Posted: 02 December 2012 at 7:16am
yea the best i was finding was around 133, which would cut it realy, but i would like to have a little headroom. the 2 line array drivers is the best ive thought of so far. 2 of em on a wide horizonral wave guide with narrow vertical dispersion 80/90 degree by 30 degree (10 up 20 down) or the like. bloody expensive though.

-------------

Posted By: mykey-
Date Posted: 02 December 2012 at 9:16am
Originally posted by JamesFlipside JamesFlipside wrote:

What are peoples feelings and experience with different compression drivers?
I'm looking for a 1.4" driver to cross over with the mids at about 2k on quite a soft slope.
My preference has always been Beyma generally but i've been looking at Faital Pro recently and they look pretty sweet! anyone use these?
Also there's BMS but the only dedicated HF compression they do is Ferrite... Still though?
J

-------------
BbbBBRAAAAPppBBBBbgushhhhhhhhssshhhhhGrAbRAAAAAAPPPPPp = Dubstep

Posted By: _djk_
Date Posted: 02 December 2012 at 10:37am
"but which 1 or 1.4, 1.5inch comp horn combos can play at 135db cont between 3kish and right up to 20k reasonably flat."

None.

(no kidding!)

A 60° x 40° horn might be 112dB up to 3.5Khz or so, and be able to play 135dB on program material peaks with a +23dBW amplifier (200W). Above the mass corner (3.5Khz) on a CD horn you will need the power to increase at about a 6dB/oct rate, needing 800W at 8Khz and 3.2KW at 16Khz (ignoring power compression and power handling of course).

-------------
djk

Posted By: Elliot Thompson
Date Posted: 02 December 2012 at 3:30pm

Hi.

I made a thread on the General Forum, which pertained to looking for a high frequency compression driver that was flat from 10 kHz – 20 kHz. Many of the members offered a lot of options so you may want to try to locate that topic.

I ended up purchasing the Faital Pro HF 140 with the recommended horn Faital Pro used to acquire their advertised frequency response. It performs well however, still cannot match the ultra high frequency performance of my old Motorola Piezo Tweeters. I also own the BMS 4540ND. You can achieve a flat response with this driver as well from 3 kHz – 20 kHz with a good dosage of equalisation.

One thing you need to keep in mind when observing manufacture’s graphs. It appears the trend these days is to offer a lot of smoothing, which equates to a more consistent response.

Best Regards,

-------------
Elliot Thompson

Date Posted: 02 December 2012 at 6:36pm
i remember that one eliot. i followed it with intrest.

the thing which characterises my hunt is my embhasis is more on pure spl than being perfectly flat all the way up. ill be using a cd anyway, so i know ill be EQing it anyway.

would it be better for me to use a large format driver and tweeters? i realy dont want to do this. the actual x over point to the mids will be a little above 3k and it seems silly to cross over to a 2 inch up there. not to mention that one of the design objectives was to use only paper cones and non metalic or small diameter comp drivers.

what do we think of using the 2 line array drivers? the 18 sound look good, but i will have a listen to my locals (beyma) as thats nice and easy. its about the only way i would consider using more than one driver.

anyway, sorry to original poster, if this drags along more all make a new thread, because it is moving well away from the original question

-------------

Posted By: Elliot Thompson
Date Posted: 02 December 2012 at 11:06pm

i remember that one eliot. i followed it with intrest.

the thing which characterises my hunt is my embhasis is more on pure spl than being perfectly flat all the way up. ill be using a cd anyway, so i know ill be EQing it anyway.

would it be better for me to use a large format driver and tweeters? i realy dont want to do this. the actual x over point to the mids will be a little above 3k and it seems silly to cross over to a 2 inch up there. not to mention that one of the design objectives was to use only paper cones and non metalic or small diameter comp drivers.

You can use a large format horn on a compression driver and operate it from your desired starting point with an infinite ending point. The frequencies above 3 kHz propagating from the large format horn will be used as additional gain and contribute to the tweeter’s frequency response if you decide to go that route.

Overlapping frequencies on two different types of transducers is not uncommon especially on very old analogue crossovers that offered 12 dB or 6 dB per octave slopes. At times, using such a configuration can remedy a dB loss issue at a given frequency when you require more SPL at a given frequency range.

If done properly, the end result will bring forth a seamless response amongst the drivers in the overall response.

Best Regards,

-------------
Elliot Thompson

Posted By: watchman
Date Posted: 03 December 2012 at 6:11pm

i have 4x fbt maxx 6 for mid/tops, they use B&C DE600 compression drivers 3 were blown, i found 1 new DE600 from a company called Crystal and repaired the other 2xDE600 with 2 B&C alternative  diaphragms for the DE610 from blueaan which B&C say are interchangeable with the DE600.

problem is original DE600 compressor sounds crisper than DE600 with new diaphragms, question is when fitting new diaphragm theres 2 surrounds/gaskets  that the diaphragm sits on, do they need to left on or is replacement DE610 diaphragm a "one piece" diaphragm that does not use surround.

Posted By: spttrial
Date Posted: 26 January 2013 at 10:32am
I guess it might depend om your budget, or whether its a quality aspect you are looking for. Take alook at the beyma cd1014fe. These are quite reasonable and work well

-------------
30 years in the business

Posted By: SBC
Date Posted: 26 January 2013 at 10:46am
i have some BMS 4555 and 1.5" to 2" adaptors for sale

-------------
F.T.S.S.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2023 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net