URL: https://forum.speakerplans.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=78146
Printed Date: 29 March 2024 at 1:00pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: F**K me! USB 3.0 HDD
Posted By: shagnasty
Subject: F**K me! USB 3.0 HDD
Date Posted: 18 April 2013 at 11:36pm
I've just bought one of these :-
http://www.ebuyer.com/320102-hitachi-1tb-touro-mx3-portable-hard-drive-0s03457" rel="nofollow - http://www.ebuyer.com/320102-hitachi-1tb-touro-mx3-portable-hard-drive-0s03457

to send some data I've rocovered back to a SP member, just dumped 150Gb off my SAN @ 180MB/S, I only have a 2GBs line to my switch so I am not sure that wasn't a fabric speed transfer....

Perhaps USB 3.0 does work!!!!!

Smile

Replies:
Posted By: mini-mad
Date Posted: 18 April 2013 at 11:44pm
SAN?.... you mean NAS rite?...

-------------
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.

Posted By: infrasound
Date Posted: 18 April 2013 at 11:45pm
USB 3.0 is always a nice surprise after putting up with 2.0 for so long!

Some of the more expensive 3.0 flash sticks can give some crazy numbers too Thumbs Up

Date Posted: 18 April 2013 at 11:47pm
Originally posted by mini-mad mini-mad wrote:

SAN?.... you mean NAS rite?...
Nope, dual attached 4GB/S fibre channel SAN that heats my loft!!!!
Smile

Posted By: toastyghost
Date Posted: 18 April 2013 at 11:50pm
I get 180MB/s on my USB3 pen drive… when the computer the USB3 is attached to is good enough and isn't doing loads of other stuff.

It's still slower than FW800 though

Date Posted: 18 April 2013 at 11:52pm
ok didnt know SAN ment a NAS farm... sweet!

-------------

Date Posted: 18 April 2013 at 11:52pm
Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

I get 180MB/s on my USB3 pen drive… when the computer the USB3 is attached to is good enough and isn't doing loads of other stuff.

It's still slower than FW800 though

Yeah Right!! LOL

Date Posted: 18 April 2013 at 11:59pm
SAN is a storage area network, if gives multiple servers (or clients) file system level access to storage, NAS is Network Attached Storage, so the filer on the NAS head controls access to the media, with a SAN a client could format a volume, with NAS that can't happen as the data is served up in client friendly format with protocal abstraction ( the nas could be connected to a SAN, but the client only sees the SMB or CIFS share that the NAS dishes out, with a SAN if I format a volume as NTFS, every client mounted to that volume sees an NTFS drive, with a NAS they wouldn't have a clue what the underlying format is.
In theory SAN offers speed advantages over NAS as the data on the FC (or iSCSI) network is packed up nicely for storage and not a generic IP packet, in practice with the gear I can afford to use at home 10GB/s LAN would wallop my SAN, but I can't boot from LAN (easily)...

Date Posted: 19 April 2013 at 12:08am
ooooooh. thas even nicer!

wouldnt mind one of them

-------------

Date Posted: 19 April 2013 at 12:25am

ooooooh. thas even nicer!

wouldnt mind one of them

The electricity bill isn't nice, I am amazed i have never had a visit for Growing, never ANY snow on my roof and high sparky bills...

Perhaps it is because I forget to pay them until teh red demand appears they think I am too poor to be growing LOL

Date Posted: 19 April 2013 at 12:52am
I'LL JUST SETTLE FOR MY 5X EXTERNALS PLUGGED INTO A 7WAY HUB ON A 6X 13A STRIP GOING INTO ONE USB SOCKET ON MY PC THEN.... LOL

bollox. caps lock. free facepalm anyone? lol

-------------

Date Posted: 19 April 2013 at 12:54am

I'LL JUST SETTLE FOR MY 5X EXTERNALS PLUGGED INTO A 7WAY HUB ON A 6X 13A STRIP GOING INTO ONE USB SOCKET ON MY PC THEN.... LOL

Sounds better built than most Dell drive arrays!!!!!

Date Posted: 19 April 2013 at 1:10am
lol

its even nasty to look at.... til you pile them ontop of each other cable-tie all the cables really really neatly, hide them around the back and have the LEDs facing all the same way with the hub sitting on top with wires out the back and lights on the front and you turn them on by flipping the socket switch that powers the 6way wall extention... its light a fecking Xmas tree lol

-------------

Date Posted: 19 April 2013 at 1:12am
I hope you have back-ups...
My faith in USB external drives gets upto zero on a good day!!!!!

Date Posted: 19 April 2013 at 1:13am
yep..... another set of externals that are piled on top so all the LEDs... etc... etc... etc.....

lol

-------------

Posted By: biotec
Date Posted: 19 April 2013 at 10:05am
my laptop doesn't have USB3 but I was fairly impressed with the eSATA connector when I used it last week.

-------------
me so horny, me love you long throw.

Posted By: godge
Date Posted: 19 April 2013 at 10:17am
I got myself a Zyxel nsa-325 last week and am very impressed with it so far, transfer speeds etc are pretty quick, just ordering myself a kingston usb3.0 stick though as I am yet to experience the speeds of 3.0

Posted By: noodle
Date Posted: 04 March 2014 at 12:39am
180mb/s is not that fast.. It's good don't get me wrong

My Intel ssd has a write speed of 450mb/s and the top speed of a good quality usb3.0 cable is around 5gb/s.

It's probs as your file was only small only at 150gb, dident give it time to run up to speed.

Btw I'm an ICT and computing Student and training hardware technician so I do know what I'm on about.

Date Posted: 04 March 2014 at 4:36am

Originally posted by noodle noodle wrote:

180mb/s is not that fast.. It's good don't get me wrong

My Intel ssd has a write speed of 450mb/s and the top speed of a good quality usb3.0 cable is around 5gb/s.

It's probs as your file was only small only at 150gb, dident give it time to run up to speed.

Btw I'm an ICT and computing Student and training hardware technician so I do know what I'm on about.

Really????

Only 150GB, not time to run upto speed?????

LOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

I suspect your SSD may benchmark @ over 400, but try a real-world I/O operation, I struggle to hit 800MB/S copying large files (1GB+) from my workstation to my SAN, 180MBs realworld is not too shabby over USB x

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2023 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net