Forum Description: How Your Projects Perform
URL: https://forum.speakerplans.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=78887
Printed Date: 14 December 2019 at 7:28am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Cubo extended pd 1850 loaded
Posted By: prestigedjs
Subject: Cubo extended pd 1850 loaded
Date Posted: 17 May 2013 at 5:51am
Have just finished these two. They are powered by a bridged crown ma 2400 for one and a bridged crown cts 2000 for the other one. I have a pair of mach 127i tops.
Have any triede something like this and could help me with some filter settings?

Replies:
Posted By: bee
Date Posted: 18 May 2013 at 1:07am
high pass the cubos at 35hz, xover between 90 and 120hz.....

-------------
https://www.elements-audio.com

Posted By: boots-hifi
Date Posted: 24 May 2013 at 9:31pm
I had 8 at one point! Devastating! All built by bee too. 

Posted By: basshead2012
Date Posted: 25 May 2013 at 11:09am
bridge the ma 2400 across the pair

Posted By: Baron Greenback
Date Posted: 27 May 2013 at 3:48am
Would not bridge the MA2400 across the pair if I were you... 2070W @ 4 Ohms bridged Vs. 1600W of hungry drivers gives you the piddling head room of 235W per driver, suppose it depends how hard you push em, but it is not my idea of good amp/speaker practice.

-------------
The doctor recons I'm paranoid... well he didn't say it exactly, but I just knew the bastard was thinking it!

Posted By: levyte357-
Date Posted: 27 May 2013 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by Baron Greenback Baron Greenback wrote:

Would not bridge the MA2400 across the pair if I were you... 2070W @ 4 Ohms bridged Vs. 1600W of hungry drivers gives you the piddling head room of 235W per driver, suppose it depends how hard you push em, but it is not my idea of good amp/speaker practice.

Have heard stories of people blowing large number of pd's in Cubos.

"Maybe" over powering them, or hpf set too low,  was the problem.

MA5000VZ only gives approx 2kwpc @ 4 ohms, but is plenty for driving 2x PD1850s per channel, in the right cabs.

-------------
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here, this is the war room!!".

Date Posted: 27 May 2013 at 9:24pm
lev ive blown a few testing the cubos to the max, safe setting's have been listed above....

and i dont no many people running 1850 loaded cubos, in fact i only no of 12 that are 1850 loaded....

-------------

Posted By: aztec2step
Date Posted: 27 May 2013 at 11:10pm
to follow that up, I had 4 of those 12 out last weekend running off a crown/amcron 5000vz and they smashed it :) crossed over 35-125, playing dnb. 

Posted By: AvLee
Date Posted: 28 May 2013 at 12:40pm
I've got a pair of 1850 loaded extended Cubos and they kick ass with a pair of Martin F15's on top. I've been chopping and changing my 2+2 rig for years and nothing comes close for sound quality and output then what I got now for the size.

Been doing live Boxing nights, clubs, boats and outdoor comfortable.

I cross at 35-80 though.

Date Posted: 28 May 2013 at 9:24pm
thats 6 of the 12 ive built lol......  defo agree lee great cabs for there size.....

-------------

Posted By: gump
Date Posted: 29 May 2013 at 1:00am
It really is sounding like I should go PD1850 instead of Void for my Cubos given the love above... Big smile

Posted By: prestigedjsdk
Date Posted: 04 April 2015 at 9:44pm
just to follow up this old thread :)
I have been using my cubos for a long time now, with the 2 small crown amps they never where very good. But about a year ago I upgraded to a ma 5000 vz for the 2 cubos and that gave the a whole other sound. Now I am very impressed with the sub, and right now i am building 2 more 1850 loaded cubo extended. And I hope the ma 5000 power plant will hold up my impression of the 2 but with 4 cabs there should be some db´s ekstra.

Date Posted: 06 April 2015 at 12:08am
nice one, there by far my favourite small sub free plan design by a long way....

-------------

Date Posted: 06 April 2015 at 8:25am
Me too. We olso own some rcf loaded cubo 15. With some big rcf 15 drivers. They sound absolutly awesome. We used them for at party with 250 people. And we very asked to turn down the bass and there where not even at full blown. Not by far.
So I look very much forwards to how 4 1850 loaded cubo 18 ext will sound. I am afraid I am expecting too much from them. I have 2 ma 5000 one for each 4 cubo.

Posted By: T-Bone
Date Posted: 06 April 2015 at 11:35pm
I too am building the Cubo 18" Sub version will be loading it with a unused old PD186 version. Magnet in the horn per Cubo himself and wanna hear how it sounds. I have also 5 new PD1850 but may use them on SBH Startec, don't know yet. This Cubo Sub 18 will be powered by Crest Audio 7001 amp.Wink

-------------
BASS, how low can you go!

Posted By: boots-hifi
Date Posted: 07 April 2015 at 12:01am
Get 8, 1850 loaded and run them with either 2 K8's or inf8mk2s and you're go and way your crowns in at the scrappy.

Date Posted: 07 April 2015 at 7:56am
8 cubo 1850? How big a venue would use that for? My normal partys are from 100-200 people. 😃 And i like the crowns.

Posted By: Mrd999
Date Posted: 09 May 2015 at 6:54pm
I have 2 loaded with Beyma g450/n's and they rock, love em, not the extended version, I live in a very old cottage and fear I have done structural damage, have had my neighbour round saying stuff is falling off her shelves !!

-------------
What goes around, comes around

Posted By: GEB
Date Posted: 05 June 2015 at 11:39am
I have similar reports from my neighbor (and we're detached houses!) Mine are P-Audio E18ELF loaded and move a fair amount of air when needed! Building 2 more come summer time! 

Posted By: mini-mad
Date Posted: 05 June 2015 at 11:50am
Has anyone ever built the cubo15 extended and loaded them with 18" drivers?

-------------
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.

Date Posted: 05 June 2015 at 11:53am
Would they fit on the baffle? I know they would width wise, but I mean depth of baffle?

Date Posted: 05 June 2015 at 11:56am
I was looking at my 15s and was eye'ing them up. Should fit, mine are non-extended, but looks like they would fit. I'll get the fatmax out over the weekend and see how close it gets. It will make the horn mouth smaller to as the bigger driver will take up more space.

-------------

Date Posted: 05 June 2015 at 12:44pm
What will you do Mini? Keep the cutout the same and have the magnet in the horn mouth, firing through the 15" cutout?

Date Posted: 05 June 2015 at 1:12pm
Iv got 4x cubo15 and two are 15xb loaded and sound good, im just wondering if a pair of 18xb's with maybe a spacer ring around the frame so im not nailing the driver hard against the baffle as i dont know if the cone would hit the baffle or not. Just a small 10mm spacer would do.

iv got a pair if boxes to experiment with.. i could ask mr cubo himself but i do like a little play and ivbalways got a million ideas rolling around my head all the time.. just need to borrow an 18xb and get a few hours to meself having a play around!

EDIT. Scrapped the idea... the baffle on the 15 is 450mm. Most 18" driver over hang that by at least 10mm!.

..damn it!.

-------------

Date Posted: 05 June 2015 at 1:33pm
Best get your tools out and build some cubo18's then! Wink

Build me a couple more whilst your at it please. Save me a job! ha ha.

Did you see my cubo mid-bass I knocked up in the newbie section?

Posted By: charlysays
Date Posted: 20 December 2017 at 9:29am
Originally posted by prestigedjsdk prestigedjsdk wrote:

8 cubo 1850? How big a venue would use that for? My normal partys are from 100-200 people. 😃 And i like the crowns.

My thoughts exactly... I could only use 8 for a large outdoor or very large room event, which I never do.
I have four cubo subs- 1 pair 18sound 18nlw9400 and 1 pair 18nlw9000 and I've never needed to push them. Things fall of shelves when at even 50%.

Posted By: Cheekybox
Date Posted: 28 October 2019 at 5:00pm
8 in two stacks of 4 would be tasty for a 350 capacity venue.

Posted By: toastyghost
Date Posted: 28 October 2019 at 6:01pm
Originally posted by charlysays charlysays wrote:

Originally posted by prestigedjsdk prestigedjsdk wrote:

My thoughts exactly... I could only use 8 for a large outdoor or very large room event, which I never do.
I have four cubo subs- 1 pair 18sound 18nlw9400 and 1 pair 18nlw9000 and I've never needed to push them. Things fall of shelves when at even 50%.

Appreciate this is from two bloody years ago but every time someone says “at only 50%” it makes me much more annoyed than it should.

At 50% power your system theoretically only has 3dB left in it. In reality, with power compression and a lot of modern music having a low crest factor, it can be as low as 1dB.

What I’m saying is, at 50%, you’re basically out of headroom.

-------------
http://www.neuronproaudio.co.uk" rel="nofollow - http://www.neuronproaudio.co.uk

Posted By: Daniel S
Date Posted: 28 October 2019 at 7:28pm
Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

Appreciate this is from two bloody years ago but every time someone says “at only 50%” it makes me much more annoyed than it should.

At 50% power your system theoretically only has 3dB left in it. In reality, with power compression and a lot of modern music having a low crest factor, it can be as low as 1dB.

Some also refer to where they set the master volume at, which is a just as bad way of telling how loud you're playing. That would be like trying to tell the speed you're driving at with only looking at how far you've pushed the accelerator, disregarding what gear you're in or what the gauges say.

-------------
Distortion is evil

Posted By: valve head777
Date Posted: 28 October 2019 at 9:42pm
Originally posted by Daniel S Daniel S wrote:

Some also refer to where they set the master volume at, which is a just as bad way of telling how loud you're playing. That would be like trying to tell the speed you're driving at with only looking at how far you've pushed the accelerator, disregarding what gear you're in or what the gauges say.

That is a brilliant explanation.
Why do people still think an amp is at half power when the input pot is turned half way?

-------------
Freedom of choice, choice of freedom.

Date Posted: 28 October 2019 at 9:48pm
‘Half the power’ is itself misleading, because very rarely do I ever see anything measured in Real Power anyway. It’s half the voltage.

I would go so far as to argue that this misconception- very easily done, if you forget that audio is mostly logarithm - is the main cause of burned drivers, not clipping.

-------------
http://www.neuronproaudio.co.uk" rel="nofollow - http://www.neuronproaudio.co.uk

Posted By: valve head777
Date Posted: 28 October 2019 at 9:51pm
Mmm I new I shouldn't have poked my unwelcome nose in....

-------------
Freedom of choice, choice of freedom.

Date Posted: 28 October 2019 at 9:54pm
Originally posted by valve head777 valve head777 wrote:

Mmm I new I shouldn't have poked my unwelcome nose in....

Haha not at all, it’s a good discussion to have otherwise nobody will ever learn! Even after they smell that lovely lacquer from across the dance...

-------------

Posted By: djkeet
Date Posted: 29 October 2019 at 1:32am
Well them Cubos with the 18Sounds might have gone to a new home half of it as just been sold in RigRe-sale just guessing from the adv he might have been using PQM13 to power all of them not sure if he was still using the Crown

-------------
Soundbite

Posted By: Tonskulus
Date Posted: 29 October 2019 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by valve head777 valve head777 wrote:

Originally posted by Daniel S Daniel S wrote:

That is a brilliant explanation.
Why do people still think an amp is at half power when the input pot is turned half way?

Because there are amps having volume pot numbers not only 0...10 but 0...11!  So they think it is one number louder :D

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net