Print Page | Close Window

mc2 e90

Printed From: Speakerplans.com
Category: General
Forum Name: Amp Forum
Forum Description: The 'Stopping Jake Fielder moaning constantly' forum description...
URL: https://forum.speakerplans.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=81043
Printed Date: 23 October 2020 at 12:27am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com


Topic: mc2 e90
Posted By: mi mong
Subject: mc2 e90
Date Posted: 08 August 2013 at 1:08pm
does an mc2 e90 amplifier meet its published specs? 8000w per channel at 2 ohm seems to be an awful amount of power. are they capable on sub duty at 2ohm

-------------
i went out today in my dressing gown......



Replies:
Posted By: mini-mad
Date Posted: 08 August 2013 at 1:14pm
would that not decrease the damping factor by... erm... shed loads?

-------------
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.


Posted By: mi mong
Date Posted: 08 August 2013 at 1:20pm
I don't no mate, that's why I am asking about them, I think if they cant do 8k at 2 ohms on bass then whats the point of them.......would like to hear from some one that uses them for this.

-------------
i went out today in my dressing gown......


Posted By: toastyghost
Date Posted: 08 August 2013 at 1:51pm
In my opinion, no they can't. Sound very nice but not a lot of balls and seem to run out of steam well before you'd think 8000w was happening. Try a K20.

-------------
http://www.neuronproaudio.co.uk" rel="nofollow - http://www.neuronproaudio.co.uk


Posted By: mini-mad
Date Posted: 08 August 2013 at 1:52pm
..or a matrix MF7000

-------------
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.


Posted By: mi mong
Date Posted: 08 August 2013 at 1:59pm
thanks for your opinion I was thinking of selling my pl9's and going on to one of these, maybe just stay as I am for now but will have a look at the k20

-------------
i went out today in my dressing gown......


Posted By: jacethebase
Date Posted: 08 August 2013 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by mi mong mi mong wrote:

thanks for your opinion I was thinking of selling my pl9's and going on to one of these, maybe just stay as I am for now but will have a look at the k20


If you sell your PL9's for anything less than Powersoft K8+ or FFA10k you will be disappointed.


-------------
www.wedding-production.co.uk

www.stage2sound.com


Posted By: mi mong
Date Posted: 08 August 2013 at 2:06pm
k20 way out of my price range impressive spec though.......

-------------
i went out today in my dressing gown......


Posted By: levyte357-
Date Posted: 08 August 2013 at 4:19pm
E90 wont do 8k @ 2 ohms, but will drive 4x of most 8 ohm drivers per channel.

Some would call it misleading advertising, but all lightweight amp manufacturers do it.

Only transformer sub amps can perform to spec on a bench & sustain it, so just get quality lightweight, rated at gazillion watts, & should be ok.

-------------
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here, this is the war room!!".


Posted By: ceharden
Date Posted: 08 August 2013 at 9:41pm
If you want to go MC2, go for the E100.  It's built on newer technology and having 4 channels will make it much more flexible.


Posted By: boots-hifi
Date Posted: 08 August 2013 at 10:08pm
Originally posted by mi mong mi mong wrote:


thanks for your opinion I was thinking of selling my pl9's and going on to one of these, maybe just stay as I am for now but will have a look at the k20


If you want to sell your pl9.0 let me know and ill take them .


Posted By: geoSal
Date Posted: 08 August 2013 at 10:41pm
heard mc2 E90 running 4 21'' horn subs per channel.8kw in 2ohms is just a joke.it was clipping
like hell while the other ram amps were still green and still pushing the subs.the guy who brought
it for testing was totally disappointed..


Posted By: ceharden
Date Posted: 08 August 2013 at 11:48pm
I think the problem with the E90 is that although the output stages are probably capable of 8kW at 2Ohms, you just can't get 16kW into the amp from the mains, that would require a 63A supply.  They have to limit the amplifier to a power that won't melt the mains wiring!

There's a reason why when PKN did a very high power amplifier, they stuck a 3 phase inlet on it!


Posted By: geoSal
Date Posted: 09 August 2013 at 12:02am
in fact, i can compare mc2 e90 playing 4 18'' subs per side in two ohms with the output that a ma5000 in full power can deliver.Crown could even produce more tight sub-bass if it gets the right current


Posted By: toastyghost
Date Posted: 09 August 2013 at 3:30am
Originally posted by ceharden ceharden wrote:

I think the problem with the E90 is that although the output stages are probably capable of 8kW at 2Ohms, you just can't get 16kW into the amp from the mains, that would require a 63A supply.  They have to limit the amplifier to a power that won't melt the mains wiring!

There's a reason why when PKN did a very high power amplifier, they stuck a 3 phase inlet on it!


You say this, but testing against a LabG PLM and Powersoft showed that even the Lab wiped the floor with it on the same power feed and breaker. I really like the sound of it, but it just doesn't go loud enough for the price tag.

-------------
http://www.neuronproaudio.co.uk" rel="nofollow - http://www.neuronproaudio.co.uk


Posted By: levyte357-
Date Posted: 09 August 2013 at 3:47am
Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:


You say this, but testing against a LabG PLM and Powersoft showed that even the Lab wiped the floor with it on the same power feed and breaker. I really like the sound of it, but it just doesn't go loud enough for the price tag.


+1

Has really nice sound, but can guarantee it will run out of steam, & clip early driving 4x 1850s per channel, 40-100hz.

Actually, just remembered being at a soundclash, where one system had E90 driving 8x 1850s, and other crew had PL9 driving the same.

Result inevitable. E90 system sounding real smooth, refined, warm, but clip/limit lights signaling headroom all gone.

PL9 set not as refined or warm, but SPL smashing venue down, brick by brick. LOL


-------------
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here, this is the war room!!".


Posted By: mi mong
Date Posted: 09 August 2013 at 7:30am
I had a look at the e100 amp but I think it will not have enough power to be better then my pl9,s my cabs are 1850 loaded hybrid horn designed by marc o and they can take every thing a pl9 has at 4 ohm if the e90 actually did what it claims it can do I could have a new very small and light weight amp rackTongue

-------------
i went out today in my dressing gown......


Posted By: SW2407
Date Posted: 09 August 2013 at 7:47am
Had 3 of then driving 21" subs at 2ohm for a while.

Never quite right. Overheated on me twice. Both times I had major acts on stage.

Replaced them with FFA 10K and what a difference. Amps never overheat and I've never had them near clipping.


Posted By: MarjanM
Date Posted: 09 August 2013 at 8:06am
Why would you do 2 ohm? Isnt it better to have two amps doing the same. I just hate the fact that if the amp fails (they all fail at some point) you loose all the subs.

-------------
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713


Posted By: mi mong
Date Posted: 09 August 2013 at 8:22am
Originally posted by MarjanM MarjanM wrote:

Why would you do 2 ohm? Isnt it better to have two amps doing the same. I just hate the fact that if the amp fails (they all fail at some point) you loose all the subs.
 it is probably better to run two amps however mc2 e90 clearly state it will do 8000w @2 ohm that's plenty power for my bins............ great big circle to the start of my post does a mc2 e90 do it,s specLOL

-------------
i went out today in my dressing gown......


Posted By: MarjanM
Date Posted: 09 August 2013 at 9:17am
My car says 260 on the speedometer. Should i drive it 260 all the time? Claiming 8KW at 2 ohm is fine, it can probably do it for a short time. I dont find all this talk really relevant because no amplifier manufacturer is actually recommending doing it. Sure it is stable, but not recommend. Only amp that i hear it does what it said at 2 ohm is the K20.



-------------
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713


Posted By: tall_mike
Date Posted: 09 August 2013 at 9:44am
.... and your speakers can't take that kind of power continuously either.....


-------------
http://www.livesoundhire.co.uk" rel="nofollow - Live Sound Hire Ltd


Posted By: Marko
Date Posted: 09 August 2013 at 9:45am
Originally posted by MarjanM MarjanM wrote:

Why would you do 2 ohm? Isnt it better to have two amps doing the same. I just hate the fact that if the amp fails (they all fail at some point) you loose all the subs.

My point exactly.
I would like to know how E 90 stands against FFA or PLM 14000 at 4 ohm/channel?


Posted By: csg
Date Posted: 09 August 2013 at 10:14am
at 4Ω per channel, the plm14000 is very strong. 

-------------
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”


Posted By: MarjanM
Date Posted: 09 August 2013 at 10:31am
Originally posted by tall_mike tall_mike wrote:

.... and your speakers can't take that kind of power continuously either.....

Thing is that some boxes can actually take that power no problem. As a mater of fact it will probably be okeyish power for our BA218 that are 7200W programe power at 4 ohms. 
So i am always in a holly grail search for an amp that can drive two boxes per channel.

The new PKN XE10000-U is just right size for one box per channel. K20 is ok for 2 ohm but probably on boxes with smaller power handling.


-------------
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713


Posted By: teknojay
Date Posted: 09 August 2013 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by csg csg wrote:

at 4Ω per channel, the plm14000 is very strong. 
I use a plm10000q @ 4Ω on my 4 pd186 loaded boke thl828 copies and can't recommend it enough absolutely beautiful sounding amp and PLENTY of power Big smile


Posted By: levyte357-
Date Posted: 09 August 2013 at 12:29pm
Will be very difficult for someone to upgrade from PL9.

Unless money to spend on K20, or 2x amps  to drive 4x subs each.

Think I'd prefer the 2x amp route.



-------------
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here, this is the war room!!".


Posted By: MarjanM
Date Posted: 09 August 2013 at 1:13pm
Originally posted by teknojay teknojay wrote:

Originally posted by csg csg wrote:

at 4Ω per channel, the plm14000 is very strong. 
I use a plm10000q @ 4Ω on my 4 pd186 loaded boke thl828 copies and can't recommend it enough absolutely beautiful sounding amp and PLENTY of power Big smile

10000q can not deliver the power they claim when 4 channels driven on sub duty.


-------------
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713


Posted By: levyte357-
Date Posted: 09 August 2013 at 2:54pm
Originally posted by MarjanM MarjanM wrote:

Originally posted by teknojay teknojay wrote:

Originally posted by csg csg wrote:

at 4Ω per channel, the plm14000 is very strong. 
I use a plm10000q @ 4Ω on my 4 pd186 loaded boke thl828 copies and can't recommend it enough absolutely beautiful sounding amp and PLENTY of power Big smile

10000q can not deliver the power they claim when 4 channels driven on sub duty.


I guess some of these "big" lightweight amps on sub will do rated power, if HPF is approx 60hz, which doesn't really demand much current, and great for pop, etc..

However  HPF 40-50hz, soon separates the wheat from the chaff, some of even the most expensive lightweights just won't tolerate that at 2 ohms - 2.66 ohms.

With some of the Labsub/21" BPH crew, even driving cabs with 35hz HPF. Shocked


-------------
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here, this is the war room!!".


Posted By: teknojay
Date Posted: 09 August 2013 at 5:27pm
Originally posted by MarjanM MarjanM wrote:

Originally posted by teknojay teknojay wrote:

Originally posted by csg csg wrote:

at 4Ω per channel, the plm14000 is very strong. 
I use a plm10000q @ 4Ω on my 4 pd186 loaded boke thl828 copies and can't recommend it enough absolutely beautiful sounding amp and PLENTY of power Big smile

10000q can not deliver the power they claim when 4 channels driven on sub duty.
I'm more than happy with the noise mine puts out with hpf set at 40hz :)


Posted By: Ras Loud
Date Posted: 09 August 2013 at 6:31pm
Just use two E90's. Smile


Posted By: csg
Date Posted: 09 August 2013 at 10:37pm
[QUOTE

I guess some of these "big" lightweight amps on sub will do rated power, if HPF is approx 60hz, which doesn't really demand much current, and great for pop, etc..

However  HPF 40-50hz, soon separates the wheat from the chaff, some of even the most expensive lightweights just won't tolerate that at 2 ohms - 2.66 ohms.

With some of the Labsub/21" BPH crew, even driving cabs with 35hz HPF. Shocked
[/QUOTE]

Ray - it may interest you to know that i HPF my subs at 28Hz, never any higher...one PLM14K drives 8 of my single 18" subs to the edge of their existence with ease, even in the mid - low 30's.


-------------
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”


Posted By: shagnasty
Date Posted: 10 August 2013 at 2:33am
"Sell PL 9.0 to buy mc2???"
 
More like sell Mc2 to buy pl 9.0!!!
 
Unless sub offends you!!!!


Posted By: levyte357-
Date Posted: 10 August 2013 at 3:26am
Originally posted by csg csg wrote:

...one PLM14K drives 8 of my single 18" subs to the edge of their existence with ease, even in the mid - low 30's.


LOL Clap


-------------
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here, this is the war room!!".


Posted By: mi mong
Date Posted: 10 August 2013 at 6:45am
looks like I will be keeping the pl9.0's for a while!  some real good comments about the e90 and lightweight amps in general.  I cant afford two e90 amps and the k20 is quite expensive and I would have to run at 2ohm( I believe this is frowned upon for all amps) I will have look at the matrix and the pkn6000 they might be an option for meBig smile  

-------------
i went out today in my dressing gown......


Posted By: csg
Date Posted: 10 August 2013 at 9:15am
the pkn6000 is well worth having a look at, excellent amps. Personally i am not keen on the sound of the matrix amps on sub, they sound too dry to me. I am far from convinced on their reliability too.

As for 2 ohm operaton, whilst it is perfectly true that all amps are equal in terms of damping factor versus load impedance, the top tier of amplifiers ( for me, powersoft, QSC PL3 series, Lab gruppen, Hollstern) cope with 2 ohm impedance's with total ease and reliability. Thermal loads on these amps at 2Ω operation are no issue, indeed most are thermally and electrically stable into 1Ω loads...

but from a sound quality perspective it is a personal thing - my view is that with a low tuned sub, 4 ohm pr 8 ohm loads with give you a tighter, more articulate sound, but with well damped or over damped tight sounding subs, 2 ohm operation can give the sub a warmer sound.


-------------
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”



Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net