Print Page | Close Window

EA Hybrid Folded Horn

Printed From: Speakerplans.com
Category: Plans
Forum Name: New Projects Forum
Forum Description: Forum for new speakerplans projects, in memory of Tony Wilkes, 1953 - 2014
URL: https://forum.speakerplans.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=85990
Printed Date: 16 April 2024 at 6:20pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: EA Hybrid Folded Horn
Posted By: E.A
Subject: EA Hybrid Folded Horn
Date Posted: 25 March 2014 at 10:28pm
Hi!

I've been reading this site for a long time so it's time to write my own post. It's about a horn loaded enclosure I designed and built last year.Smile

The cab had to meet certain requisites:

Weight: <50kg
Size: have to fit in a Renault Scenic
Driver: 12-15" (because of weight), as cheap as possible (LOL)
Useable frequency: down to 45Hz
Extras: flat frequency response (can be used on its own), long throw

I was a newbie so it took me more than 3 months to figure out/learn how things work (also in woodworking). But when I finished, the result was awesome! Finally I loaded them with Fane Sovereign 15-400 speakers (also designed the enclosure around these speakers). The cabs weight stayed under 40kg (measured). The size was perfect (can fit both of them in the car).

The final result:

Measurement:

I don't know if I set the measurement tools up properly. 2 cabs from 5m (don't know how did I figured it out), SPL not calibrated.

First I had the chance to try it out in a big parking lot. The cab was placed in the car's trunk (0,5m above the ground). The whole lot started shaking over 150wRMS input and I could hear fine quality bass 50m away from it, so I've had such a big smile on my face like never before. It was clear bass in the face. Big smile

By the time I realized I missed one thing... the excursion Angry. After all, I changed the speakers to Beyma 15P1000 to achieve more SPL and more controll on the low notes.

I hope You'll find this topic interesting! Also sorry for my bad English Cry.

Replies:
Posted By: corell
Date Posted: 25 March 2014 at 11:42pm
Very interesting!
I like the bracing, frequency response also looks really good for 2 cabs!

would you mind posting more information like dimensions and a sketch of the enclosure? maybe a simulation to compare it to your measurements?

Date Posted: 26 March 2014 at 12:12am
The simulation of 1 cab:

I don't really remember the exact dimensions, but were about (HxWxD): 88cm x 53cm x 105cm. Its inside is quite similar to the Martin WLX (also the plot). Which is a bit funny, because when I designed it, I didn't even know about Martin-Audio. LOL

Posted By: corell
Date Posted: 26 March 2014 at 12:20am
does this mean you cant access/change drivers then?
nearly 500l is not what i would consider small LOL but well, if you are happy with it ;)

looks like a good job you did there!

Date Posted: 26 March 2014 at 12:25am
There is a trap cut-out on the other side. Smile

Date Posted: 26 March 2014 at 12:37am
Sure it's huge, but the only size limit was the car and it fits. Big smile

Thanks! Smile

Posted By: all bass
Date Posted: 26 March 2014 at 6:49am
Are those ports at the top of the hornmouth?

Posted By: Teunos
Date Posted: 26 March 2014 at 7:05am
Yes, which is why they are ported horns. It is basically a hornloaded BP6. i builttwo myself and was quite impressed with the results. It's just that i found it rather hard to get any design to play lower than 40Hz, both in simulations as well as in real life. Your cabs follow about the same response as mine did so i think these cabs can sound great as well!

-------------
Best regards,
Teun.

Posted By: crossed
Date Posted: 26 March 2014 at 9:37am
Good job, i like the build quality.Thumbs Up

Posted By: Keen
Date Posted: 26 March 2014 at 10:26am
nice one EA, bet you're loving it!

Date Posted: 26 March 2014 at 11:39am
I love it Smile... warm as hell, without any colorization especially below 80-100Hz.

Teunos, now I'm trying to improve the lower cut-off with a weird design. I don't know how to describe it... like a horn loaded BP12. It seems to work on paper but group delay is a problem.

Posted By: Darkstar
Date Posted: 10 October 2014 at 9:35am
Does anyone have a plan/paperwork for these?

Or just generally for a ported horn 15" enclosure?

I'd love to have one of these. Congratulations and thanks in advance for anyone who can provide me some measures. Clap

Date Posted: 10 October 2014 at 11:49pm
I've planned to post the plans but after several tests I recognised problems with excursion so if you have some time I'll finish the mk2 plans and post it (btw exc. problems occurred above 135dB).

Cheers.

Posted By: Darkstar
Date Posted: 11 October 2014 at 4:54am
Allrite mate. First of all thanks for the reply, really much appreciated.

Secondly yes, I've got the time for this no problem. I've got some double 18's refurbished ported horns (which also had some excursion issues) and I'm planning on making some 15's to put onto them and step up the bass output range, but until I'm finished with the 18's I'm not going to have the quids to build up anything else.

This design would fit perfectly though, hit me up when you got anything new.
Cheers Big smile

Posted By: jayam000
Date Posted: 19 April 2017 at 3:13am
Originally posted by E.A E.A wrote:

I've planned to post the plans but after several tests I recognised problems with excursion so if you have some time I'll finish the mk2 plans and post it (btw exc. problems occurred above 135dB).

Cheers.

Have you finished markII plans?

-------------
"I do not want to make my stomach a graveyard of dead animals." George Bernard Shaw

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2023 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net