Print Page | Close Window

Boominator build (UK)...

Printed From: Speakerplans.com
Category: General
Forum Name: 12v Powered Systems
Forum Description: From Mini-rigs to ICE, all your low voltage audio needs here...
URL: https://forum.speakerplans.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=86687
Printed Date: 20 April 2024 at 5:05pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Boominator build (UK)...
Posted By: DJ-Dulux
Subject: Boominator build (UK)...
Date Posted: 08 May 2014 at 4:10pm

Updated 12-5-14 with latest design and links for people in UK sourcing hardware.

Updated 14-5-14 with weight of components.

Updated 2-9-14 I am back on it. Minor updates.

Updated 10-3-15 Back on it, again ready for summer.

Updated 28-3-15 page 7 parts are arriving.

Updated 3/4-4-15 page 8 weight discussions.

Updated 4-6-15 page 9 CNC wood arrives and we confirm the weight!

Updated 3-8-15 page 10 the build starts.

Updated 21-8-15 page 10 almost complete

Updated 10-11-15 page 11 some comments on using epoxy resin

Hi all,

I am about to start building a Boominator, after much thought about doing my own design, its become clear that significant development has been done on this design and I don’t have time to re-invent the wheel. So here is the plan so far: 

Speakers

Low Freq – Eminence Basslite S2010 * 4  - 6.4kg

High Freq – P-Audio PHT-407N * 4 - 1kg

Will probably get from http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=JAMBOOMINATORKITD&browsemode=category" rel="nofollow - www.bluearan.co.uk

Timber

Machine cut 12mm filmed 9 ply birch ply, will try and source WisaForm Birch

Glue

West system Six10 epoxy and jenny brushes from http://www.ecfibreglasssupplies.co.uk/p-2231-west-system-six10-thickened-epoxy-adhesive.aspx" rel="nofollow - East Coast Fibreglass

X-Over

MiniDSP 2*4 + 2 way Advanced 21 from http://www.minidsp.com/products/minidspkits/2-x-in-4-x-out" rel="nofollow - www.accusafe.nl with plug in from http://www.minidsp.com/products/plugins/minidsp-2x4-kit-box-platforms/2-way-advanced-21-detail" rel="nofollow - www.minidsp.com

Amplifier

MaxAmp20 * 2 from http://store.accusafe.nl/modules/versterkers/maxamp20-met-jst-ph-connector" rel="nofollow - www.accusafe.nl

Battery

12.8V / 10Ah LiFePO4 battery from http://www.euroenergy.co.uk/pbq-1012-lifepo4-br-128v-10ah-lithium-ferro-phosphate-p-1060.html?wizid=tv347lsluv6bfimfl44e76a7p3" rel="nofollow - www.euroenergy.co.uk - 1.5kg

Management

Solar

Will be added at some point

Overall Weight

8.9kg (speakers and battery)

11kg (cabinet)

##kg (electronics)

Will obviously post updates on here, but any obvious comments on the above and any amplifier advice?

Will not be starting build for another month, so plenty of time to refine ideas.

Thanks,

Dupe…

-------------
Dupe...

Replies:
Posted By: Saturnus
Date Posted: 08 May 2014 at 7:24pm
Right now the obvious choice for amp is miniDSPand 2 maxamp20.

That being said, I'm currently in the last steps of finally making a passive filter that will fit both a HP10W and a S2010 crossed to a PHT407N by only moving a single resistor from one position to another. If made on a PCB it would just mean moving a single jumper. Specifically it's a resistor being moved from being either parallel to the series resistor or the parallel resistor on an L-pad so a non-critical component.

You should also note that PCBs are finally being made for the shiznit amp, now renamed to cAMP for trademark reasons. I could write a whole novel about the features that will have but I'll list some of the main features here:

- available late June/early July 2014 (Is our best estimate right now). Priced around $200 retail.

- up to 2x50W into 4 ohm at 0.2% THD

Here I have to note why it says "up to", it's because it runs directly on a 12V battery but if input signal is turned up beyond a certain point an internal dc-dc converter kicks in and raises the voltage as needed up to 24V. The dc-dc converter is one of the most efficient ones ever made in this voltage range and the efficiency in this set up is even better than what the chip manufacturer states is possible, average efficiency when on is around 97% (for the dc-dc converter). 

- Idle consumption: 470µA or 0.006W

Here I also have to note that the amp have a higher idle consumption as long as there is input signal. It turns itself on and off. The signal time out is 60 seconds (at the moment can be made shorter). Start up time from sleep is 20ms.

- 2A solar multi-chemistry battery charger with MPPT. Optimized specifically for CGIS/thin film panels and LiFePO4 batteries but can be used with any solar panel or DC voltage source and other battery types at slightly reduced efficiency.

- Innovative single RGB LED status monitoring that shows both amp status and battery status in a whole new and intuitive way.

- Programmable (limited at first) DSP for equalization among others things. Built-in clip limiter and several other functions but that is to be fleshed out and can be user added later with little effort.

- On board DIP switches to switch between different operating modes.

Let's say you have S2010s and PHT407N, then you set the corresponding DIP switch for that and the EQ is automatically set to suit the optimum for that.

- Custom made aluminium case with IP66 rating from Hammond Mfg.

Actually I could go on and on about how many considerations and completely new never-seen-before solutions we, or rather the designer Gary Marsh, have crammed into this single 80x100mm PCB. My own involvement is limited to help in laying out the principle features and adding some touches here and there.

Posted By: bitSmasher
Date Posted: 09 May 2014 at 12:21am
jizzin'it!
If I was in your position I'd buy the MiniAmp to go with MiniDSP and look to upgrade to the cAMP down the road... then use the Mini things for a smaller project

Date Posted: 09 May 2014 at 9:39am
Saturnus,

Thanks for the information, the new amp / controller sounds great and may be an option depending on how quick I get the speakers and timber put together. If you need a test bed let me know and happy to Beta test it for you?

I also like the idea of the minidsp set up as suggested by BitSmasher, I have a few other projects which this could be useful on so will get one to play with anyway.

Thanks,

Dupe...

-------------
Dupe...

Date Posted: 09 May 2014 at 10:57am
The built-in DSP in the cAMP is the same as in the miniDSP, so it should be possible to use it precisely as a miniDSP as well. There'll be a 4 channel version later btw.

Delivery date for first batch is June 12th I'm told.

Date Posted: 09 May 2014 at 11:06am
Thats pretty close, I better get some wood bought.

Dupe....

-------------
Dupe...

Date Posted: 09 May 2014 at 3:08pm
Saturnus,

Just getting the timber and cnc sorted and now looking at wood glue, only used pva before from evostik (green bottle), i note in several of your posts you suggest a epoxy based glue. Would something like this be suitable?

http://www.bostik.co.uk/diy/product/evo-stik/Resin-W-Weatherproof-Exterior-Wood-Adhesive/5

Thanks,

Dupe...

-------------
Dupe...

Date Posted: 12 May 2014 at 10:10am
Updated first post and added links to suppliers etc.

Dupe...

-------------
Dupe...

Date Posted: 12 May 2014 at 2:01pm
I have been attempting to understand the power requirements today, doing some pretty basic calculations and assuming the following:

Minidsp pulls 0.08A
2 * maxamp20 pull 0.4A at reasonable volume
Will be used off grid for 1 week
Will be used for 8hrs / day
Its summer (in the UK that means 4 hrs max sunshine)

I recon I need:

Minimum 10W solar panel
Minimum 7Ah battery (assumes 50% discharge between getting topped up with sun)

Does this sound about right?

Dupe...

-------------
Dupe...

Date Posted: 12 May 2014 at 2:28pm
The normal advice is that one maxamp (or amp6) match with one 10W thin film panel and one 7.2Ah battery.

Given that you have 2 maxamp's I'd reckon a 15W thin film panel and a 9-10Ah lifepo4 or 2x 7.2Ah SLA would match and actually make the battery life about 2-3 months in the summer if care is taken that it's placed in the Sun every day.

That's because a 2-way maxamp where each only have one channel doing bass and the other treble uses far less power than if both channels did full-range. A guesstimate would be that each amp would consume 0.25A at absolute max volume and half that turned down just a notch or two.

Date Posted: 12 May 2014 at 4:02pm
Saturnus, thanks for the great info, just updated my calculation with the 250mA consumption and agree with your numbers. In theory should run indefinitely if I can get 4 hours of sun a day.

Any advice on the glue, is the one I linked to above the type you suggest on other forums?

Dupe...

-------------
Dupe...

Posted By: lutkeveld
Date Posted: 12 May 2014 at 4:12pm
And even if there doesn't appear to be sun, you'll still get some output from the panels. 

Date Posted: 12 May 2014 at 4:25pm
Originally posted by lutkeveld lutkeveld wrote:

And even if there doesn't appear to be sun, you'll still get some output from the panels. 

If it's thin film or CIGS panels, yes. Monocrystalline or polycrystalline, not so much. With crystalline panels even light shade, or a fraction of the panel completely shaded, only about 5% of the total area is plenty, will almost completely eliminate any power from a crystalline panel making them pretty useless for this purpose. I cannot strongly enough advice to get thin film or CIGS panels. In fact, I'd probably go as far as saying that if you can't get/afford anything else than crystalline panels, you might as well not bother at all.

Date Posted: 12 May 2014 at 4:29pm
Originally posted by DJ-Dulux DJ-Dulux wrote:

Any advice on the glue, is the one I linked to above the type you suggest on other forums?

No. Epoxy glue is always two-component. And some seriously nasty stuff to work with. Remember gloves, and doing it outside or in a very well ventilated room.

If you don't want to use epoxy glue, I can fully understand that. In that case any PU based glue instead.

Date Posted: 12 May 2014 at 7:59pm
Originally posted by Saturnus Saturnus wrote:

No. Epoxy glue is always two-component. And some seriously nasty stuff to work with. Remember gloves, and doing it outside or in a very well ventilated room.

If you don't want to use epoxy glue, I can fully understand that. In that case any PU based glue instead.

I've used epoxy on fibre glass door builds, but not for builing cabinets, never even crossed my mind. Something like http://www.cfsnet.co.uk/acatalog/CFS_Catalogue__West_105_Multi_Purpose_Resin_329.html" rel="nofollow - this with a slow hardener?

Dupe...

-------------
Dupe...

Posted By: Gavos
Date Posted: 14 May 2014 at 8:23am
Hello Dupe...
Try maplins for a 15w amorphous panel i got one B grade for £30 for A grade is £55.
You just have to take the plastic edging off and it should fit the top of yer Boominator perfectly.
I say should as the actual panel dimensions (without the plastic) are 90(l) x 29(w) cm
I haven't taken mine apart yet as i found these on fleabay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231191431238?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649" rel="nofollow - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231191431238?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649 only 4watts in total but you could have 4 cells to make 8 watts.

Got my 12mm birch plywood cut yesterday, from Robbins Timber in Bristol very good service £33 for a 1520x1520mm sheet all cut up better than i could ever do with a hand saw. Oh and its 9 layers of laminate. Cant wait for the weekend to get building me Boominator.

Date Posted: 14 May 2014 at 9:30pm
Thanks for info, good to here from another UK Boominator builder, keep us updated with the progress. We should arrange a meetup of UK Boominators, I'm in the Midlands...

I have started to estimate the weight of the one I am building, you couldn't pop your timber on some scales so I can update the first post?

Cheers,

Dupe...

PS. Whats the spec of yours?

-------------
Dupe...

Posted By: Shortrope
Date Posted: 14 May 2014 at 10:00pm
Expect about 25-28kg in total with SLA Batteries.

-------------
My Tinnitus is coming along nicely!!

Date Posted: 14 May 2014 at 10:54pm
Thats pretty good with sla batteries, i'm aiming for less than 20kg with neo everything and lipo batteries...

Dupe....

-------------
Dupe...

Date Posted: 14 May 2014 at 11:09pm
Should be about 17-18kg with neos and lifepo4 batteries.

Date Posted: 14 May 2014 at 11:12pm

Should be about 17-18kg with neos and lifepo4 batteries.

Great, less than i thought.

Thanks,

Dupe...

-------------
Dupe...

Posted By: gump
Date Posted: 24 May 2014 at 11:22pm
Sounds like a great build!

I used Everbuild Lumberjack 30min Polyurethane adhesive for my cabs. Great stuff that cures quickly so less waiting. It does gap fill though, so be careful if using!

Looking forward to pics.

Posted By: belton_local
Date Posted: 10 June 2014 at 5:42pm
I am considering a similar boominator build. Have you changed the dimensions of the box to suit magnet to magnet mounting of the basslite while maintaining the internal volume?

Posted By: Mustard
Date Posted: 16 June 2014 at 4:41pm
Long time lurker, first time poster.

Extremely tempted to build a boominator, thanks for all the time you've clearly taken in its development.  
I just got an e-mail back from blue aran staying they were expecting a shipment of p-audio HP-10w sometime in august, so I am aiming to get materials+funds together to start my build then.. 

I have been following the custom PCB thread on diyaudio with interest.
I was wondering if the cAMP is likely to be shipping by then?
Would i be correct in assuming that as its only currently 2 channel (?) that it wouldn't be suitable to for use with the PHT407N, just the piezos? However with the pcb you mentioned in your first reply that i would no longer need to biamp+dsp? If so any idea if/when these might be available for purchase? 

I like the idea of the cAMP, as although I am fine with wood work and some normal PA stuff, trying to cobble together charge controllers, dsp, amps, etc is somewhat intimidating but I do really like the idea of avoiding using piezo's if possible. 

Sorry if I've asked any silly questions, I have read the wiki+alot of the threads over the past month but its quite a bit to take in and I'm alot better at learning practically. 

Thanks, 
           Mustard 

Date Posted: 16 June 2014 at 6:32pm
Started cutting the holes today!
First time with a Jigsaw, a bit tricky to start but got the hang of it quickly.
Sanding is gonna be a long slog, oh well its a labor of love.
This 9 layer ply is a dream to work with. I am loving this project.
First pics http://s850.photobucket.com/user/Gavns/media/2014-06-16_14-41-25_578_zps3ed9fc1a.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">
http://s850.photobucket.com/user/Gavns/media/2014-06-16_15-59-12_620_zpsee8207e6.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">
The solar im gonna use are 2w panels one on each side
http://s850.photobucket.com/user/Gavns/media/2014-05-18_16-27-46_109_zpscce7688d.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

Thats all for now trying to get this done by next sunday wish me luck....

Date Posted: 16 June 2014 at 6:33pm
Forgot to say Hello Mustard......... hello mustard and welcome. Wink

Posted By: Brummiejon
Date Posted: 17 June 2014 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by Mustard Mustard wrote:

Extremely tempted to build a boominator, thanks for all the time you've clearly taken in its development.  
I just got an e-mail back from blue aran staying they were expecting a shipment of p-audio HP-10w sometime in august, so I am aiming to get materials+funds together to start my build then.. 

Would i be correct in assuming that as its only currently 2 channel (?) that it wouldn't be suitable to for use with the PHT407N, just the piezos? However with the pcb you mentioned in your first reply that i would no longer need to biamp+dsp? If so any idea if/when these might be available for purchase? 

I like the idea of the cAMP, as although I am fine with wood work and some normal PA stuff, trying to cobble together charge controllers, dsp, amps, etc is somewhat intimidating but I do really like the idea of avoiding using piezo's if possible. 

Sorry if I've asked any silly questions, I have read the wiki+alot of the threads over the past month but its quite a bit to take in and I'm alot better at learning practically. 

Thanks, 
           Mustard 
Hi Mustard
I built my boominator last year using HP10's and the PHT407N's, I love it
I used a passive filter because the idea of biamping and DSP's was a step too far for me....
I'm happy with the results but will be building a biamped one in the future now I understand what I'm doing a bit more...

If you want to biamp, maybe you could use a Camp for the main speakers and a maxamp for the tweeters....

You do need to read as much of the main thread on DIYaudio as possible and have a go, you'll learn a lot more by thinking it through yourself than just asking the same old questions.......

Good luck mate

BJ

Date Posted: 17 June 2014 at 1:52pm
Originally posted by Gavos Gavos wrote:

Started cutting the holes today!
First time with a Jigsaw, a bit tricky to start but got the hang of it quickly.
Sanding is gonna be a long slog, oh well its a labor of love.
This 9 layer ply is a dream to work with. I am loving this project.
First pics http://s850.photobucket.com/user/Gavns/media/2014-06-16_14-41-25_578_zps3ed9fc1a.jpg.html" rel="nofollow -
http://s850.photobucket.com/user/Gavns/media/2014-06-16_15-59-12_620_zpsee8207e6.jpg.html" rel="nofollow -
The solar im gonna use are 2w panels one on each side

Thats all for now trying to get this done by next sunday wish me luck....

Looking good Gavos..... good luck

dont forget....... dont screw the drivers down onto the baffle too hard and compress the gasket, they just need holding in place whist the sealant dries.....

JP

Date Posted: 17 June 2014 at 4:31pm
Thanks Jon......
I will remember that one, think i saw your post on diyaudio about that one.
What type of sealant did you use I know it has to be acid free?
Did alot of sanding last night, got my wood glue today of the carpenters on my site. So all set for gluing together!!!
Gav

Date Posted: 17 June 2014 at 8:50pm

Thanks Jon......
I will remember that one, think i saw your post on diyaudio about that one.
What type of sealant did you use I know it has to be acid free?
Did alot of sanding last night, got my wood glue today of the carpenters on my site. So all set for gluing together!!!
Gav

it is known as Neutral cure silicone sealant in the UK..... I used

LOW MODULUS SILICONE SEALANT NEUTRAL CURE works fine, messy stuff to work with tho....

and I used this epoxy to glue up..............

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Deluxe-Materials-1-Hour-Speed-Epoxy-224g-AD50-/140456658729?pt=UK_ToysGames_ModelKits_ModelKits_JN&hash=item20b3de8729

cheers

BJ

Date Posted: 18 June 2014 at 9:04pm

Forgot to say Hello Mustard......... hello mustard and welcome. Wink

Thanks.. :) 

Originally posted by Brummiejon Brummiejon wrote:

Originally posted by Mustard Mustard wrote:

Thanks, 
           Mustard 
Hi Mustard
I built my boominator last year using HP10's and the PHT407N's, I love it
I used a passive filter because the idea of biamping and DSP's was a step too far for me....
I'm happy with the results but will be building a biamped one in the future now I understand what I'm doing a bit more...

If you want to biamp, maybe you could use a Camp for the main speakers and a maxamp for the tweeters....

You do need to read as much of the main thread on DIYaudio as possible and have a go, you'll learn a lot more by thinking it through yourself than just asking the same old questions.......

Good luck mate

BJ

Cool beans, thanks for the reply. I think to begin with I'll see if the cAMP is available in august when the HP10's come back in stock, if so I'll get that and see if I can use it and a passive filter to the PHT407n's, maybe with an eye to add another amp at some point. Not too fussed about biamping, but was under the impression that I might have to if I wanted to use the 407n's..   If not I guess I'll work something else out. I'm slowly getting through that thread, I'll try to lurk some more so  I don't ask the same old questions. Thanks for your time. :) 

Date Posted: 18 June 2014 at 11:03pm
It's only necessary if you're going with the SN10MB woofers for the Boominator Signature. It's required because of their bandwith limitation. The passive filter has a very gentle slope compared to a digital (DSP, bi-amp) one. So it will let a lot of unwanted frequenties through. The HP10W and PHT407N go together perfectly well with a passive filter although a DSP will be slightly better (and more expensive).

Posted By: davey t
Date Posted: 19 June 2014 at 9:15am
I'm not sure what you decided but putting a 12V amp into this would be a waste of those 10" drivers. Unless you managed to get 4ohm versions, you'll only be getting 8W a driver. Not enough to go loud imho

Use a 12-24 or 12-36V boost and a higher powered amp. Keep your Iq down and you'll be surprised how long it lasts. 

-------------
Minirig portable soundsystem movement

Date Posted: 19 June 2014 at 9:47am
Originally posted by davey t davey t wrote:

I'm not sure what you decided but putting a 12V amp into this would be a waste of those 10" drivers. Unless you managed to get 4ohm versions, you'll only be getting 8W a driver. Not enough to go loud imho

LOL

Obviously never heard a Boominator. Not loud enough? You crack me up.

And you do realize there's 4 hp10w's, right? So it is 4 ohm already.
English »
Spanish
Afrikaans
Albanian
Arabic
Armenian
Azerbaijani
Basque
Bengali
Belarusian
Bulgarian
Catalan
Chinese (Simp)
Chinese (Trad)
Croatian
Czech
Danish
Dutch
English
Esperanto
Estonian
Filipino
Finnish
French
Galician
Georgian
German
Greek
Gujarati
Haitian Creole
Hebrew
Hindi
Hungarian
Icelandic
Indonesian
Irish
Italian
Japanese
Kannada
Korean
Lao
Latin
Latvian
Lithuanian
Macedonian
Malay
Maltese
Norwegian
Persian
Polish
Portuguese
Romanian
Russian
Serbian
Slovak
Slovenian
Spanish
Swahili
Swedish
Tamil
Telugu
Thai
Turkish
Ukrainian
Urdu
Vietnamese
Welsh
Yiddish
< id="SL_lng_to">< value="af">Afrikaans< value="sq">Albanian< value="ar">Arabic< value="hy">Armenian< value="az">Azerbaijani< value="eu">Basque< value="bn">Bengali< value="be">Belarusian< value="bg">Bulgarian< value="ca">Catalan< value="zh-CN">Chinese (Simp)< value="zh-TW">Chinese (Trad)< value="hr">Croatian< value="cs">Czech< value="da">Danish< value="nl">Dutch< value="en">English< value="eo">Esperanto< value="et">Estonian< value="tl">Filipino< value="fi">Finnish< value="fr">French< value="gl">Galician< value="ka">Georgian< value="de">German< value="el">Greek< value="gu">Gujarati< value="ht">Haitian Creole< value="iw">Hebrew< value="hi">Hindi< value="hu">Hungarian< value="is">Icelandic< value="id">Indonesian< value="ga">Irish< value="it">Italian< value="ja">Japanese< value="kn">Kannada< value="ko">Korean< value="lo">Lao< value="la">Latin< value="lv">Latvian< value="lt">Lithuanian< value="mk">Macedonian< value="ms">Malay< value="mt">Maltese< value="no">Norwegian< value="fa">Persian< value="pl">Polish< value="pt">Portuguese< value="ro">Romanian< value="ru">Russian< value="sr">Serbian< value="sk">Slovak< value="sl">Slovenian< ed="" value="es">Spanish< value="sw">Swahili< value="sv">Swedish< value="ta">Tamil< value="te">Telugu< value="th">Thai< value="tr">Turkish< value="uk">Ukrainian< value="ur">Urdu< value="vi">Vietnamese< value="cy">Welsh< value="yi">Yiddish

chrome-extension://pcfaommkmdjacdkbaoohklbccfmbnnod/options-bbl.html" rel="nofollow - Options

Posted By: slaz
Date Posted: 19 June 2014 at 1:03pm

Use a 12-24 or 12-36V boost and a higher powered amp. Keep your Iq down and you'll be surprised how long it lasts. 

Yeah I've recently taken to using a Sure ST508 amp for 2 of my system permutations .... powered by either 2 x series 7Ah SLA or by 1 x 7Ah SLA + 12->24V converter (for shortish run-times) or by 24Ah SLA + 12->24V converter ..... all work well, and there's no doubt the extra watts (cf. the 2020 amps) are great for playing cleaner and/or extra headroom for when I take the little mixer + mic :-)

Also got a 6S LiPo pack + balancing charger on the way (from HobbyKing) .... sneaky outfit that BTW, they hide the high shipping charges until very last bit of the shopping cart, and they seem to lie about where the goods are shipping from Angry

-------------
REMEMBER....POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

Date Posted: 19 June 2014 at 1:10pm
The extra headroom is nice for sure but then we're also talking severely limited run times. The Boominator can easily run for 18-20 hours on a sigle 7.2Ah battery. At full volume. Add solar panels and double the battery buffer, and you have unlimited run time a long as they get Sun every day.

A 24V amp draws far too much power to be supplied by a small 10-15W solar panel when it's "low efficiency" class D amps and lousy china dc-dc converters.

The cAMP however will revolutionize that whole aspect as it is the most efficient amp commercially available (and quite possibly ever made) in it's power range.
English »
Spanish
Afrikaans
Albanian
Arabic
Armenian
Azerbaijani
Basque
Bengali
Belarusian
Bulgarian
Catalan
Chinese (Simp)
Chinese (Trad)
Croatian
Czech
Danish
Dutch
English
Esperanto
Estonian
Filipino
Finnish
French
Galician
Georgian
German
Greek
Gujarati
Haitian Creole
Hebrew
Hindi
Hungarian
Icelandic
Indonesian
Irish
Italian
Japanese
Kannada
Korean
Lao
Latin
Latvian
Lithuanian
Macedonian
Malay
Maltese
Norwegian
Persian
Polish
Portuguese
Romanian
Russian
Serbian
Slovak
Slovenian
Spanish
Swahili
Swedish
Tamil
Telugu
Thai
Turkish
Ukrainian
Urdu
Vietnamese
Welsh
Yiddish
< id="SL_lng_to">< value="af">Afrikaans< value="sq">Albanian< value="ar">Arabic< value="hy">Armenian< value="az">Azerbaijani< value="eu">Basque< value="bn">Bengali< value="be">Belarusian< value="bg">Bulgarian< value="ca">Catalan< value="zh-CN">Chinese (Simp)< value="zh-TW">Chinese (Trad)< value="hr">Croatian< value="cs">Czech< value="da">Danish< value="nl">Dutch< value="en">English< value="eo">Esperanto< value="et">Estonian< value="tl">Filipino< value="fi">Finnish< value="fr">French< value="gl">Galician< value="ka">Georgian< value="de">German< value="el">Greek< value="gu">Gujarati< value="ht">Haitian Creole< value="iw">Hebrew< value="hi">Hindi< value="hu">Hungarian< value="is">Icelandic< value="id">Indonesian< value="ga">Irish< value="it">Italian< value="ja">Japanese< value="kn">Kannada< value="ko">Korean< value="lo">Lao< value="la">Latin< value="lv">Latvian< value="lt">Lithuanian< value="mk">Macedonian< value="ms">Malay< value="mt">Maltese< value="no">Norwegian< value="fa">Persian< value="pl">Polish< value="pt">Portuguese< value="ro">Romanian< value="ru">Russian< value="sr">Serbian< value="sk">Slovak< value="sl">Slovenian< ed="" value="es">Spanish< value="sw">Swahili< value="sv">Swedish< value="ta">Tamil< value="te">Telugu< value="th">Thai< value="tr">Turkish< value="uk">Ukrainian< value="ur">Urdu< value="vi">Vietnamese< value="cy">Welsh< value="yi">Yiddish

chrome-extension://pcfaommkmdjacdkbaoohklbccfmbnnod/options-bbl.html" rel="nofollow - Options

Date Posted: 19 June 2014 at 3:11pm

It's only necessary if you're going with the SN10MB woofers for the Boominator Signature. It's required because of their bandwith limitation. The passive filter has a very gentle slope compared to a digital (DSP, bi-amp) one. So it will let a lot of unwanted frequenties through. The HP10W and PHT407N go together perfectly well with a passive filter although a DSP will be slightly better (and more expensive).

Thats good to know, thanks. Will definitely go for the hp10w+pht407n combo with passive filter, hopefully via a cAMP with 2x7.2 SLA batteries until I can afford to upgrade them with something lighter..    Looking forward to stocks coming in august now.. :)  

Date Posted: 19 June 2014 at 4:34pm
Davey T,

Should have my Boominator done very soon, you can have a listen if your near st andrews park.

Love your Bootybase design by the way thats my next project.

Date Posted: 19 June 2014 at 8:05pm
I recommend a Cubo15 (or a pair of really) as an almost perfectly matched sub for the Boominator but a Bootybass is also an alternative. You need a pair of either though to fully do the Boominator justice if you use an external amp like a vibe/pioneer 4 channel class d amp. You could get away with one if you use a dedicated 600-800Wrms mono class d amp for the sub though.
English »
Spanish
Afrikaans
Albanian
Arabic
Armenian
Azerbaijani
Basque
Bengali
Belarusian
Bulgarian
Catalan
Chinese (Simp)
Chinese (Trad)
Croatian
Czech
Danish
Dutch
English
Esperanto
Estonian
Filipino
Finnish
French
Galician
Georgian
German
Greek
Gujarati
Haitian Creole
Hebrew
Hindi
Hungarian
Icelandic
Indonesian
Irish
Italian
Japanese
Kannada
Korean
Lao
Latin
Latvian
Lithuanian
Macedonian
Malay
Maltese
Norwegian
Persian
Polish
Portuguese
Romanian
Russian
Serbian
Slovak
Slovenian
Spanish
Swahili
Swedish
Tamil
Telugu
Thai
Turkish
Ukrainian
Urdu
Vietnamese
Welsh
Yiddish

But just a Boominator and a single Cubo15 on a vibe/pioneer 4 channel class d amp with 2 channels bridged for the sub is really an impressive system that will blow away most mobile systems both in terms of volume and audio quality.

Date Posted: 19 June 2014 at 8:43pm
Is it just me or are Saturnus' posts full of unwanted languages and values?

Date Posted: 19 June 2014 at 9:43pm

yeah, there is something amiss.....

here is the filter for HP10 paired with PHT407n

Date Posted: 19 June 2014 at 10:08pm

Is it just me or are Saturnus' posts full of unwanted languages and values?

Example?

Date Posted: 19 June 2014 at 10:55pm

English »
Spanish
Afrikaans
Albanian
Arabic
Armenian
Azerbaijani
Basque
Bengali
Belarusian
Bulgarian
Catalan
Chinese (Simp)
Chinese (Trad)
Croatian
Czech
Danish
Dutch
English
Esperanto
Estonian
Filipino
Finnish
French
Galician
Georgian
German
Greek
Gujarati
Haitian Creole
Hebrew
Hindi
Hungarian
Icelandic
Indonesian
Irish
Italian
Japanese
Kannada
Korean
Lao
Latin
Latvian
Lithuanian
Macedonian
Malay
Maltese
Norwegian
Persian
Polish
Portuguese
Romanian
Russian
Serbian
Slovak
Slovenian
Spanish
Swahili
Swedish
Tamil
Telugu
Thai
Turkish
Ukrainian
Urdu
Vietnamese
Welsh
Yiddish
< id="SL_lng_to">< value="af">Afrikaans< value="sq">Albanian< value="ar">Arabic< value="hy">Armenian< value="az">Azerbaijani< value="eu">Basque< value="bn">Bengali< value="be">Belarusian< value="bg">Bulgarian< value="ca">Catalan< value="zh-CN">Chinese (Simp)< value="zh-TW">Chinese (Trad)< value="hr">Croatian< value="cs">Czech< value="da">Danish< value="nl">Dutch< value="en">English< value="eo">Esperanto< value="et">Estonian< value="tl">Filipino< value="fi">Finnish< value="fr">French< value="gl">Galician< value="ka">Georgian< value="de">German< value="el">Greek< value="gu">Gujarati< value="ht">Haitian Creole< value="iw">Hebrew< value="hi">Hindi< value="hu">Hungarian< value="is">Icelandic< value="id">Indonesian< value="ga">Irish< value="it">Italian< value="ja">Japanese< value="kn">Kannada< value="ko">Korean< value="lo">Lao< value="la">Latin< value="lv">Latvian< value="lt">Lithuanian< value="mk">Macedonian< value="ms">Malay< value="mt">Maltese< value="no">Norwegian< value="fa">Persian< value="pl">Polish< value="pt">Portuguese< value="ro">Romanian< value="ru">Russian< value="sr">Serbian< value="sk">Slovak< value="sl">Slovenian< ed="" value="es">Spanish< value="sw">Swahili< value="sv">Swedish< value="ta">Tamil< value="te">Telugu< value="th">Thai< value="tr">Turkish< value="uk">Ukrainian< value="ur">Urdu< value="vi">Vietnamese< value="cy">Welsh< value="yi">Yiddish

Date Posted: 19 June 2014 at 11:23pm
Well, yiddish obviously.

Date Posted: 20 June 2014 at 10:15am

LOL

It may be loud but I wouldn't go to all that effort and only run 6w into each driver and then attenuate the hf through resistors and passive xover. I'd lose sleep at night 

If you use a wide voltage input amp such as STA508 then you can turn the step-up on and off to run from 12V or 28V

4-channel amp at 28V plus mini-dsp will be more fun

Let me know when it's done.. I'd love to see it

-------------

Date Posted: 20 June 2014 at 10:36am

It may be loud but I wouldn't go to all that effort and only run 6w into each driver and then attenuate the hf through resistors and passive xover. I'd lose sleep at night 

If you use a wide voltage input amp such as STA508 then you can turn the step-up on and off to run from 12V or 28V

4-channel amp at 28V plus mini-dsp will be more fun

Let me know when it's done.. I'd love to see it

You can do that. Not with STA508, dc-dc converter, and miniDSP though. Much too inefficient for today's standard.

You also have to consider that the Boominator is designed originally as a festival stereo meaning it had to have battery life time on a single charge of at least 4-5 days with normal use being full power 8 hours per day, low power 8 hours per day, and 8 hours off per day. Anything less than that is not acceptable for a festival stereo.

We have developed a custom class D/G amp for the Boominator called cAMP that comes out in late July/early August. Built-in variable signal controlled multi-phase dc-dc converter for the output stage. Built-in DSP. Built-in solar (or DC voltage) multichemistry charge controller. Automatic turn on/off. 2x52Wrms into 4 ohm at 0.2% THD. >92% efficiency from 2% to 100% of full RMS power. 130µA idle consumption (the µ is not a mistake, it's 0.13mA). Lots of other completely new never seen before features too but we'll wait with the full list until it's completely ready. Blue Aran will probably sell them to UK builders.
English »
Spanish
Afrikaans
Albanian
Arabic
Armenian
Azerbaijani
Basque
Bengali
Belarusian
Bulgarian
Catalan
Chinese (Simp)
Chinese (Trad)
Croatian
Czech
Danish
Dutch
English
Esperanto
Estonian
Filipino
Finnish
French
Galician
Georgian
German
Greek
Gujarati
Haitian Creole
Hebrew
Hindi
Hungarian
Icelandic
Indonesian
Irish
Italian
Japanese
Kannada
Korean
Lao
Latin
Latvian
Lithuanian
Macedonian
Malay
Maltese
Norwegian
Persian
Polish
Portuguese
Romanian
Russian
Serbian
Slovak
Slovenian
Spanish
Swahili
Swedish
Tamil
Telugu
Thai
Turkish
Ukrainian
Urdu
Vietnamese
Welsh
Yiddish

English »
Spanish
Afrikaans
Albanian
Arabic
Armenian
Azerbaijani
Basque
Bengali
Belarusian
Bulgarian
Catalan
Chinese (Simp)
Chinese (Trad)
Croatian
Czech
Danish
Dutch
English
Esperanto
Estonian
Filipino
Finnish
French
Galician
Georgian
German
Greek
Gujarati
Haitian Creole
Hebrew
Hindi
Hungarian
Icelandic
Indonesian
Irish
Italian
Japanese
Kannada
Korean
Lao
Latin
Latvian
Lithuanian
Macedonian
Malay
Maltese
Norwegian
Persian
Polish
Portuguese
Romanian
Russian
Serbian
Slovak
Slovenian
Spanish
Swahili
Swedish
Tamil
Telugu
Thai
Turkish
Ukrainian
Urdu
Vietnamese
Welsh
Yiddish

Date Posted: 20 June 2014 at 1:43pm
Wow!... looking forward to seeing that

-------------

Date Posted: 20 June 2014 at 1:55pm
Here's a pic Big smile

It's only programming the DSP and the µController that is not fully complete yet. It will be customizable though if you intend to use it for other speakers or projects than the Boominator. It's 80x100mm btw.

English »
Spanish
Afrikaans
Albanian
Arabic
Armenian
Azerbaijani
Basque
Bengali
Belarusian
Bulgarian
Catalan
Chinese (Simp)
Chinese (Trad)
Croatian
Czech
Danish
Dutch
English
Esperanto
Estonian
Filipino
Finnish
French
Galician
Georgian
German
Greek
Gujarati
Haitian Creole
Hebrew
Hindi
Hungarian
Icelandic
Indonesian
Irish
Italian
Japanese
Kannada
Korean
Lao
Latin
Latvian
Lithuanian
Macedonian
Malay
Maltese
Norwegian
Persian
Polish
Portuguese
Romanian
Russian
Serbian
Slovak
Slovenian
Spanish
Swahili
Swedish
Tamil
Telugu
Thai
Turkish
Ukrainian
Urdu
Vietnamese
Welsh
Yiddish

English »
Spanish
Afrikaans
Albanian
Arabic
Armenian
Azerbaijani
Basque
Bengali
Belarusian
Bulgarian
Catalan
Chinese (Simp)
Chinese (Trad)
Croatian
Czech
Danish
Dutch
English
Esperanto
Estonian
Filipino
Finnish
French
Galician
Georgian
German
Greek
Gujarati
Haitian Creole
Hebrew
Hindi
Hungarian
Icelandic
Indonesian
Irish
Italian
Japanese
Kannada
Korean
Lao
Latin
Latvian
Lithuanian
Macedonian
Malay
Maltese
Norwegian
Persian
Polish
Portuguese
Romanian
Russian
Serbian
Slovak
Slovenian
Spanish
Swahili
Swedish
Tamil
Telugu
Thai
Turkish
Ukrainian
Urdu
Vietnamese
Welsh
Yiddish

Posted By: studio45
Date Posted: 20 June 2014 at 3:13pm
All that on that board? WITCHCRAFT! LOL

-------------
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA

Date Posted: 20 June 2014 at 4:27pm
help, what is going on with Saturnus's posts?

Can't wait for Camp, could the dsp split the signal two ways so I can run tweeters off a maxamp while powering the HP10's on the Camp?

*BJ*

Date Posted: 20 June 2014 at 5:04pm
Why would you want that?

Date Posted: 20 June 2014 at 5:16pm

help, what is going on with Saturnus's posts?

Can't wait for Camp, could the dsp split the signal two ways so I can run tweeters off a maxamp while powering the HP10's on the Camp?

*BJ*

No. There'll be a 4 channel version at a later time.

We use all 4 DAC channels in the sigmaDSP (same as in miniDSP btw) to run the amp fully differential thereby eliminating any potential ground loop problem which often plagues portable/mobile set-ups.

You can just use the original passive filter though. Or the new filter that will fit HP10W, GW1058 and S2010 in combination with a PHT407N. You only have to change a jumper to fit each specific driver combo. There's a lot more going on behind the scenes though as some filters change from between LR to bessel due to the different load impedances, and some x-o points also change but for the user there will only be a single jumper that is put in the right position. You can DIY it too but since we focus on sound quality and efficiency there'll be a requirement to use some 1mH coils with  max 0.1ohm series resistance and those aren't available a standard goods anywhere it'll probably be a good idea to buy them ready-made.

Date Posted: 20 June 2014 at 6:31pm

Why would you want that?

So I can reap all the benefits of bi amping
BJ

Date Posted: 21 June 2014 at 12:09am
I can see your idea, but it won't work. The MaxAmp works on battery voltage as opposed to the cAMP with its multiphase DC-DC converter. Gain will probably be slightly different too. It's a halfassed solution, which is a shame when using such expensive equipment. Better to wait for the 4-channel amp or just use a passive filter for now.

Saturnus, distribution via Canopysound/Accusafe? Ideal for people with the Boominator as first sound/electronics project. Avoids lots of confusion. Heck, even for experienced people it will be an amazing option.

Date Posted: 21 June 2014 at 5:23am
It was very briefly discussed as an option but it would require a different DSP to be used or having an external 4 channel DAC on the board adding complexity and cost that 90% of customers wouldn't have use for.

For a tweeter horn it could have worked since them typically having 6dB higher sensitivity which is the delta between the dc-dc running idle (battery voltage) and full 24V and then running the external 12V amp at a lower signal.

However, it would not have been a true 4 channel solution and applications would be very limited. Also when you have an external amp you have little control over total system efficiency which is a major concern. The external amp would have to be fully controlled by the cAMP including power on/off and clock sync'ing to avoid RFI.

Add to it that although bi-amp'ing has benefits. Efficiency-wise a well designed passive filter optimized for the drivers and assisted by an optimized DSP is a far better solution overall.

The amp is developed by Gary Marsh and CanopySound in co-operation. I'm proud to have been part of the team and to have many of my original concerns and ideas addressed and implemented but all credit should really be directed toward Gary Marsh. The result is nothing short of amazing. Distribution could possibly be through Accusafe in the NL and CanopySound in the DK. I'm not part of the commercial side of things so I can't really comment on that.

EDIT: Given the product name, which I had no say in, a bright pink PCB instead of a cool black one would probably have been more fitting LOL

Date Posted: 21 June 2014 at 6:14pm
sign me up for a couple of Camps (i prefer the name to shiznit), miss the boominator pic tho.....

BJ

Date Posted: 21 June 2014 at 7:21pm

sign me up for a couple of Camps (i prefer the name to shiznit), miss the boominator pic tho.....

BJ

Shiznit turned out to be a registered (but not yet used) trademark by Beats by Dr. Dre so the name had to be changed.

Posted By: Hemisphere
Date Posted: 04 July 2014 at 4:09am

BJ

Shiznit turned out to be a registered (but not yet used) trademark by Beats by Dr. Dre so the name had to be changed.
Typical!

Plucky DIY enthusiasts pre-emptively thwarted by hyper-capitalists. 

Posted By: RosscoPico
Date Posted: 04 July 2014 at 4:17am
Haha, yes true...

But couldn't you just add an extra letter on the end, e.g. Shiznitz ?

-------------
.:ELEMENT 5 SYSTEMS:.

Posted By: bitSmasher
Date Posted: 04 July 2014 at 5:46am
Pretty sure Snoop Dizzle would have trademarks on any shizzle bizzle

Posted By: Hemisphere
Date Posted: 04 July 2014 at 7:19am
Fo' rizzle.

Posted By: gmarsh
Date Posted: 09 July 2014 at 8:09pm
Hey everyone, I'm the shiznit/cAMP designer. Looks like we've taken over someone's boominator build thread.

"shiznit" wasn't intended to be the actual name of the amp - it's the development name that I've given to a few projects that I worked on in my professional electronics design career and felt good about. "This thing is gonna be the shiznit. Why would the customer buy anything else?" - plus, it forces marketing to come up with an actual name for the thing.

However with no marketing department involved here, we thought for a while of keeping the card named the 'shiznit'... so I did a trademark search, and sure enough, shiznit was trademarked for audio playback equipment by Beats. Not wanting any caps busted in my ass, I figured I'd best find something else. Bouncing ideas back and forth with Viktor at Canopy, we started with "Canopy AMP", which was shortened to "CAMP" and then finally "cAMP" for a bit of extra iPodness.

Canopy's funding the development of the amp, and it will be sold exclusively through them.

The cAMP prototype is up and running, Viktor brought it to Rosklide and it sounds like it survived. It has absolutely no polish whatsoever (right now, all DSP settings are fixed) and there's a bug where the DC/DC will occasionally trip the overvoltage protection on the TPA, but that's why we prototype things :) Everything will get taken care of eventually.

We're still contemplating feature sets and different models - 2ch and 4ch versions, perhaps a 'lite' version without the DC/DC, etc.

If you've got any questions/thoughts/suggestions, feel free to ask/comment.

Date Posted: 02 September 2014 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by gmarsh gmarsh wrote:

Hey everyone, I'm the shiznit/cAMP designer. Looks like we've taken over someone's boominator build thread.

"shiznit" wasn't intended to be the actual name of the amp - it's the development name that I've given to a few projects that I worked on in my professional electronics design career and felt good about. "This thing is gonna be the shiznit. Why would the customer buy anything else?" - plus, it forces marketing to come up with an actual name for the thing.

However with no marketing department involved here, we thought for a while of keeping the card named the 'shiznit'... so I did a trademark search, and sure enough, shiznit was trademarked for audio playback equipment by Beats. Not wanting any caps busted in my ass, I figured I'd best find something else. Bouncing ideas back and forth with Viktor at Canopy, we started with "Canopy AMP", which was shortened to "CAMP" and then finally "cAMP" for a bit of extra iPodness.

Canopy's funding the development of the amp, and it will be sold exclusively through them.

The cAMP prototype is up and running, Viktor brought it to Rosklide and it sounds like it survived. It has absolutely no polish whatsoever (right now, all DSP settings are fixed) and there's a bug where the DC/DC will occasionally trip the overvoltage protection on the TPA, but that's why we prototype things :) Everything will get taken care of eventually.

We're still contemplating feature sets and different models - 2ch and 4ch versions, perhaps a 'lite' version without the DC/DC, etc.

If you've got any questions/thoughts/suggestions, feel free to ask/comment.

I have been off radar for a few weeks, but now back. Looks like this thread is growing, and the new camp looks like a great device.

It it ready now, I did look at the Canopy site and it says out-of-stock?

Dupe...

-------------
Dupe...

Date Posted: 28 February 2015 at 8:29am
Ok, the good weather is on its way, its time to get back on it.... Any updates on the items below?

1. Bassamp20 from accusafe, can not find anything about it, any ideas, i assume it has filters or bigger supply side?
2. The cAMP does not appear to be in stock, any progress on the 4ch version?
3. Blue arran don't have either the paudio or emmenence speakers in stock, have sent pm to them so will report back here lead times...

Will get the plan for the cabinet and electronics carrier done next week ready to send to cnc....

Dupe....

-------------
Dupe...

Date Posted: 28 February 2015 at 8:52am
Accusafe for Boominator drivers.

-------------

Date Posted: 28 February 2015 at 10:17am
Bassamp has a 1st order lowpass filter onboard

cAMP should go in production shortly

Date Posted: 04 March 2015 at 9:22am
Thanks for the info, speakers ordered from Blue Arran, should arrive in the next week to 10 days. Will get the amps ordered next and miniDSP.

Cabinet drawings in progress... Does anyone have a drawing with dimensions, can not get access to sketchup at the moment?

Dupe... 

-------------
Dupe...

Date Posted: 10 March 2015 at 1:27pm
Battery ordered, 10Ah LifePo4. Drawings pretty much done, just need converting to CNC file formats now.
Dupe...

-------------
Dupe...

Date Posted: 10 March 2015 at 2:26pm
MiniDSP and amps ordered from Accusafe, should be with me in next days so I can work out how to cram everything in. Will get some pictures up soon...

Dupe...

-------------
Dupe...

Date Posted: 11 March 2015 at 12:32pm
You're best off trying to get it up on Sketchup if yer can, the drawing is very comprehensive.
We're working on our third Boominator in the workshop at the mo. Big smile
My first has the DSP Maxamp combo if yer wanna look here...

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.651408021538284.1073741833.221577064521384&type=3" rel="nofollow - http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.651408021538284.1073741833.221577064521384&type=3

-------------

Posted By: KWB75
Date Posted: 11 March 2015 at 1:29pm
Sorry to hijack - does the bassamp20 have a variable low pass? If not, what is it set at?

Many thanks!

Date Posted: 11 March 2015 at 2:22pm
I have the Sketchup drawings, we have rebated all the panels, added the tweeter recess and added some shelves to the internal chamber etc. We are just getting them ready now for the CNC machine.

Will have a look at Facebook later, its blocked in the location I am currently in...

Dupe...

-------------
Dupe...

Date Posted: 28 March 2015 at 9:25am
Parts have started to arrive, the speakers, battery and epoxy:

Eminence Basslite S2010

https://flic.kr/p/rPZTwn" rel="nofollow"> https://flic.kr/p/rPZTwn" rel="nofollow - IMG_0557 by https://www.flickr.com/people/95791244@N00/" rel="nofollow - infoavcandy , on Flickr

coming in at 1.6kg

Paudio PHT-407N

https://flic.kr/p/rPXYmh" rel="nofollow"> https://flic.kr/p/rPXYmh" rel="nofollow - IMG_0553 by https://www.flickr.com/people/95791244@N00/" rel="nofollow - infoavcandy , on Flickr

coming in at 0.2kg

West System Six10 Epoxy Adhesive

https://flic.kr/p/rPY5MJ" rel="nofollow"> https://flic.kr/p/rPY5MJ" rel="nofollow - IMG_0561 by https://www.flickr.com/people/95791244@N00/" rel="nofollow - infoavcandy , on Flickr

pbd 10Ah 12 V LifePo4 battery

https://flic.kr/p/qThE7p" rel="nofollow"> https://flic.kr/p/qThE7p" rel="nofollow - IMG_0550 by https://www.flickr.com/people/95791244@N00/" rel="nofollow - infoavcandy , on Flickr

coming in at 1.5kg

We are at around 8.7kg so far, aim is <20kg, which is going to the tight.

Just a few cabling bit now, the stainless 316 grills and and cabinet which is out to quote at the moment.

Dupe...

-------------
Dupe...

Date Posted: 28 March 2015 at 9:38am
Awesome! How are you going to do the wood, CNC?
Will the enclosure stand upright or laying down on its longest side?
For a moment I thought this was a halfinator build

A lightweight halfinator is still on my to do list, but those basslites, tweeters and MiniDSP aren't cheap.

Date Posted: 28 March 2015 at 9:44am
Wood is going for CNC, actually making 2, a lightweight and a standard one for a mate, will be interesting to see quality difference and if the 10kg weight saving is worth the extra cost, standard looking at around 25kg compared to 15kg!

I have fully equipped acoustic lab so will be doing some tests on the things to quantify differences and to set up DSP. Will post the DSP files once done.

Will lay down on the long side, 3 feet on bottom.

Dupe...

-------------
Dupe...

Date Posted: 31 March 2015 at 8:09pm
CAD finally complete:

Lightweight

https://flic.kr/p/rzcuLK" rel="nofollow"> https://flic.kr/p/rzcuLK" rel="nofollow - image by https://www.flickr.com/people/95791244@N00/" rel="nofollow - infoavcandy , on Flickr

Standard

https://flic.kr/p/rAXBPG" rel="nofollow"> https://flic.kr/p/rAXBPG" rel="nofollow - image by https://www.flickr.com/people/95791244@N00/" rel="nofollow - infoavcandy , on Flickr

Just waiting for wood now....

Dupe....

-------------
Dupe...

Date Posted: 01 April 2015 at 8:31pm
Weight update...

So the model above is predicting that the cabinet be just over 11kg.
Speakers and battery are measured at 8.7kg

Total so far 20kg

We have some fixings, epoxy and the electronics to add yet, so its going to be around 22kg in the end.

Bit heavier than I wanted, but still OK.

Dupe....

-------------
Dupe...

Date Posted: 01 April 2015 at 8:37pm
No way that that cabinet is 11kg. Which type of wood do you use?  Should be closer to 3-4 kilos.

Posted By: Darkstar
Date Posted: 01 April 2015 at 8:48pm
Lol 25kg is the weight of an active stage monitor, that's quite impressive.

-------------
Bass =/= Enough

Date Posted: 01 April 2015 at 11:12pm
It's 19kgs on the dot with filmed birch plywood and with amps, drivers, wires and other electronics but without battery. And that's with HP10W drivers which are exactly 1kg more heavy each than the basslites. The PHT407N are 150 gram more than piezos each so total saved would be 3.4kg. I'd be very surprised if it weighs more than 16kg total still without battery. 

Date Posted: 01 April 2015 at 11:47pm
We will see, we have struggled a bit to get the model to calculate so could be an error. However, we usually use steel parts and its very precise, we are assuming wood is 708kg/m3, this is what wisa quote.

If its lighter then great, 17.5kg would be ideal....

Dupe...

-------------
Dupe...

Date Posted: 02 April 2015 at 12:14am
Are you sure you have taken the cut outs into the equation? The cut outs account for nearly 1/3rd of the total volume of ply wood used... actually pretty much exactly 1/3rd.

Date Posted: 03 April 2015 at 12:00pm
I think we have an explanation on the weight, essentially we have checked the model by using a reference 1m * 1m panel and it all calculates correctly.

The difference is in the density of the plywood, I had no idea it varied so much:

Wisa Form Birch - 700kg/m^3
SyPly Film faced Birch - 665kg/m^3
Wisa Form Spruce - 500kg/m^3
Cheap ply - 460kg/m^3

These differences make a huge impact on weight:

Wisa Form Birch - 11.5kg
Wisa Form Spruce - 8kg
Cheap ply - 7.4kg

So does this explain the difference?

This takes the Boominator from 17kg to 22kg, is spruce good enough, saves 3.5kg compared to birch?

Dupe...

-------------
Dupe...

Date Posted: 03 April 2015 at 12:23pm
Problem with that calculation and assumption is that my original Boominator is built with WISA FORM BIRCH. So your calculations are simply incorrect.

Posted By: slaz
Date Posted: 03 April 2015 at 12:40pm
Got a couple of panels of Hexlite here - different shapes, but about 2m^2 in total.
Density is (I think) about 80Kg/m^3 ..... similar to balsa wood methinks.

Looking forward to making a box of some sort from this - although I suspect a conventional ply baffle would be reqd, as cutting/machining the stuff is not so possible.

-------------
REMEMBER....POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

Date Posted: 03 April 2015 at 1:59pm
No idea then, we can not find an error... Will check again, although not sure what else is left.

Dupe...

-------------
Dupe...

Date Posted: 03 April 2015 at 6:53pm
Let's review

Fronts are 2x900x300mm = 0.54m2
Top/Bottom are 2x276x900mm = 0.4968m2
Braces are 2x393x276mm = 0.216936m2
Ends/Internals are 4x276x276mm = 0.307404m2
Handle/Ports are 2x96x276 = 0.052992m2

So total wood needed is 1.614132m2

The cut outs are

Woofers 4x222mmØ = 0.154830m2
Tweeters 4x76mmØ = 0.018146m2
Brace diffuser 20x62mmØ = 0.090572m2
Ports and vents 8x66mmØ = 0.02737m2
Port slits 2*96*62mm = 0.011904m2
Access cuts 2x156x66mm = 0.020592m2

Cut out total is 0.323381m2. That's 1/5th... how did I get it to 1/3rd.... hmm

Anyway... that's total of 1,290751m2 times the average 11.8mm thickness is 0,0152308618m3 and 10.7834501544kgs if the WISA numbers are correct. But mine was demonstrative lighter so the weights numbers given by WISA must be incorrect. Granted I did use stored WISA FORM that probably has a significantly lower humidity than factory fresh sheets so that may account for it.

Posted By: WesleyK
Date Posted: 03 April 2015 at 9:47pm
I might be able to put mine on a scale this weekend. If I remove the electronics module its pretty much only the plywood + speakers. Should give us a rough idea of the weight of the wood (after substracting the weight of the speakers ofc)

Date Posted: 04 April 2015 at 11:32am
Ye won't care how much it weighs once you hear it!!

-------------

Date Posted: 04 April 2015 at 12:27pm

Let's review

Fronts are 2x900x300mm = 0.54m2
Top/Bottom are 2x276x900mm = 0.4968m2
Braces are 2x393x276mm = 0.216936m2
Ends/Internals are 4x276x276mm = 0.307404m2
Handle/Ports are 2x96x276 = 0.052992m2

So total wood needed is 1.614132m2

The cut outs are

Woofers 4x222mmØ = 0.154830m2
Tweeters 4x76mmØ = 0.018146m2
Brace diffuser 20x62mmØ = 0.090572m2
Ports and vents 8x66mmØ = 0.02737m2
Port slits 2*96*62mm = 0.011904m2
Access cuts 2x156x66mm = 0.020592m2

Cut out total is 0.323381m2. That's 1/5th... how did I get it to 1/3rd.... hmm

Anyway... that's total of 1,290751m2 times the average 11.8mm thickness is 0,0152308618m3 and 10.7834501544kgs if the WISA numbers are correct. But mine was demonstrative lighter so the weights numbers given by WISA must be incorrect. Granted I did use stored WISA FORM that probably has a significantly lower humidity than factory fresh sheets so that may account for it.

Thanks for the information, it seems to confirm that our calcs are correct.

Our model with wisa birch is at just over 11kg, we have used 12mm thickness as this is the mean thickness, tolerance is 12mm +- 0.5mm, we also have 2 shelves in the battery location. Therefore our prediction and your calculation look about right.

11kg verses 10.8kg?

Thanks for the support, was beginning to worry that we had made a big error in the design...

Dupe...

-------------
Dupe...

Date Posted: 04 April 2015 at 12:29pm
Originally posted by Shortrope Shortrope wrote:

Ye won't care how much it weighs once you hear it!!

I am getting excited now, already got an event lined up.... Baby rave in the local park....

Dupe...

-------------
Dupe...

Date Posted: 08 April 2015 at 11:14am
Wisa ply is not easy to get in UK, therefore I am looking at SyPly, its a slightly lower spec at 665kg/m^3. Does anyone have any experience with it?

Dupe...

-------------
Dupe...

Date Posted: 09 April 2015 at 10:06am
I doubt there's much difference between reputable manufacturers. WISA is just the most well known.

Date Posted: 09 April 2015 at 2:14pm

I doubt there's much difference between reputable manufacturers. WISA is just the most well known.

That was my feeling also, although looking at the spec sheets wisa is marginally better...

Dupe....

-------------
Dupe...

Date Posted: 14 May 2015 at 3:37pm
Just been looking at post #5882 on the DIYaudio Boominator thread and a different port configuration is suggested for the Basslite drivers. Not seen this mentioned before:

120mm wide
40mm high
24mm deep (2 ply layers)
40mm rounds on ends of slot

Standard is:

120mm wide
30mm high
36mm deep (3 ply layers)
30mm rounds on ends of slot

How does this change the set up, I could re-work to the 30mm high still, anyone compared?

Dupe...

-------------
Dupe...

Date Posted: 18 May 2015 at 4:21pm
Sorry to crash in but..................
After some time (year and a half) got the beast built from this http://s850.photobucket.com/user/Gavns/media/2015-04-25_11-15-30_164_zps9fhjrxvd.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">
To this http://s850.photobucket.com/user/Gavns/media/2015-05-18_16-06-58_951_zps06jmytw8.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">
Needs a paint job but sounds amazing. Solar to go on top and vents for electronic chamber.
Thanks to Saturnus for the Boominator thread.

Date Posted: 04 June 2015 at 8:26pm
Looking good Govos, did you manage to get it painted, if so what did you use?

My wood has finally arrived after a few issues, see below:

https://flic.kr/p/tbwuVU" rel="nofollow"> https://flic.kr/p/tbwuVU" rel="nofollow - Boominator CNC 2 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/av-candy/" rel="nofollow - Simon Redfearn , on Flickr

https://flic.kr/p/u8Hatn" rel="nofollow"> https://flic.kr/p/u8Hatn" rel="nofollow - Boominator CNC 7 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/av-candy/" rel="nofollow - Simon Redfearn , on Flickr

https://flic.kr/p/tbwuVU" rel="nofollow"> https://flic.kr/p/tbwuVU" rel="nofollow - Boominator CNC 2 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/av-candy/" rel="nofollow - Simon Redfearn , on Flickr

https://flic.kr/p/u8aYQw" rel="nofollow"> https://flic.kr/p/u8aYQw" rel="nofollow - Boominator CNC 5 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/av-candy/" rel="nofollow - Simon Redfearn , on Flickr

Total weight of all the bits is 10.6kg, so pretty close to the estimate.

CNC finish not as good as I wanted, silly little things like breakout on the holes as they have gone from inside to out, and a couple of other things. Because using epoxy I have allowed a little more space around the joints so it does not get squeezed out and that seems all good.

Not sure when I will get round to sticking it together, but it goes together dry OK.

Dupe....

-------------
Dupe...

Posted By: kesgreen
Date Posted: 06 June 2015 at 12:51am
Hi all. I'm also in the UK and am attempting to build a Boominator.

I can't find Wisa-Form Birch anywhere though.Cry

Also, I'm mystified by this sketchup thing. I've downloaded the file and have Sketchup Viewer, but all I seem to be able to do is rotate a 3D model. I can't see dimensions or any way to make it display 2D sections. How can I do this? Or does anyone have 2D plans - more like blueprints for simple folks like me?
Thanks.

Date Posted: 06 June 2015 at 9:49am

Wisa ply is not easy to get in UK, therefore I am looking at SyPly, its a slightly lower spec at 665kg/m^3. Does anyone have any experience with it?

Dupe...

Kesgreen, post from a previous page, wisa is not easy to get so i used syply, its not as good, slightly less dense and does have the odd small void in the laminations, but not far off wisa.

On sketchup just use the tape measure feature, thats what i used when converting it into catia.

Dupe...

-------------
Dupe...

Posted By: TIP220
Date Posted: 06 June 2015 at 10:51am
Originally posted by kesgreen kesgreen wrote:

Hi all. I'm also in the UK and am attempting to build a Boominator.

I can't find Wisa-Form Birch anywhere though.Cry

Also, I'm mystified by this sketchup thing. I've downloaded the file and have Sketchup Viewer, but all I seem to be able to do is rotate a 3D model. I can't see dimensions or any way to make it display 2D sections. How can I do this? Or does anyone have 2D plans - more like blueprints for simple folks like me?
Thanks.

you will need to download the full program not just a viewer, there are two versions. Sketchup Pro (paid version) and sketchup make (free). the free version will have all the features you need. Loads of tutorials online.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2023 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net