Peavey IPR2 7500 Review (Very Long)

Printed From: Speakerplans.com
Category: General
Forum Name: Electro Frying Forum
Forum Description: Talk about drivers, processors and mixers
URL: https://forum.speakerplans.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=89043
Printed Date: 28 March 2024 at 1:13pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Peavey IPR2 7500 Review (Very Long)
Posted By: Elliot Thompson
Subject: Peavey IPR2 7500 Review (Very Long)
Date Posted: 12 October 2014 at 11:49pm

This review is based primarily on how the Peavey IPR2 7500 power amplifier compares to the Crown Macro-tech 5000vz power amplifier from a tonal perspective. As many of us in the sound reinforcement industry are faced with a wide variety of jobs that offers various types of music, which offers different types of behaviour patterns, this review will reflect such a scenario.

The type of music listed below reflects the type of music we are commissioned to reinforce under the given conditions. 

Electronic Dance Music

Elevator Music

High Impact Music

High Fundamental Music

Hip Hop Music

Modern Jazz Music

Reggae Music

Rock Music

The frequency response graphs listed below reflects how the Double Eighteen Reflex Enclosure reacted under a frequency bandwidth from 3 Hz – 150 Hz on the Crown MA 5000vz & Peavey IPR2 7500 once it was fed an audio signal.

Please note I do not use High-Pass-Filtering on my subs other than the internal High-Pass-Filter embedded in the amplifier’s circuitry. The differential in the graphs amongst the Crown MA 5000vz & Peavey IPR2 7500 is how the subwoofer/amplifier correlation comes into play.

The decibel increment scale is configured to 5 dB. Such scaling will offer a noticeable difference amongst the two amplifiers. However, subtle tonal characteristics heard by the human ear will not be shown under a 5 dB scaling.

Loudspeaker Components Used

Sub: One Double Eighteen Reflex Enclosure

Midrange: Three Eminence Beta 10 CBMRA closed-back loudspeakers

Mid-High: One Large Hyperbolic Compression Horn

Amplifiers

Crown Macro-tech 5000vz  (Sub)

Crown Power base 2 (Mid-High)

Peavey IPR2 7500 (Sub)

Peavey PV 2600 (Midrange)

The recording microphone shall be 2 metres away from the Double Eighteen Reflex Enclosure. The lowest measured impedance dip from One Double Eighteen Reflex Enclosure shall be 4.4 ohms within the 5 Hz – 200 Hz range.

The Crown Macro-tech 5000vz in addition to the Peavey IPR2 7500 were voltage calibrated on the right channel of their respective loudspeaker outputs using a voltage multi-meter. Calibrations are shown in the videos below. The test tone is a 55 Hz sine wave.

Electronic Dance Music: 50/50

There is no dramatic difference amongst the amplifiers from a tonal standpoint.

However, if the BPM increases, the Peavey would excel over the Crown under the given conditions from a transient standpoint.

Elevator Music: Peavey IPR2 7500

The Crown sounds a little too aggressive at times whereas the Peavey sounds more balanced.

High Fundamental Music: Crown MA 5000vz

The Crown low frequency emphasis overshadows the Peavey when fundamental bass is the objective.

High Impact Music: Peavey IPR2 7500

The Peavey’s attack is prominent all the way down to the single digits of the frequency bandwidth. The Crown does not sound as sharp compared to the Peavey.

Hip Hop Music: Crown MA 5000vz

The upper bass emphasis in the Crown allows the tone to sound richer compared to the Peavey.

Modern Jazz Music: Crown MA 5000vz

The upper bass emphasis in the Crown allows the tone to sound richer compared to the Peavey.

Reggae Music: Crown MA 5000vz

The aggressiveness in the upper bass region is the type of sound that Peavey has difficulty to deliver.

Rock Music: Peavey IPR2 7500

The tone of the Peavey overshadows the Crown. Attack, Dynamics, Timing it is all there with the Peavey. 

Peavey IPR2 7500 Low Frequency Power Bandwidth

The graph below is an estimate on what to expect from the Peavey IPR2 7500 Amplifier in terms of low frequency response. The decibel scale is configured to 1dB increments. The –3dB point in the Low Frequency is around 3.2 Hz.

Peavey IPR2 7500 High Frequency Power Bandwidth

There is a gradual rise in the high frequencies starting around 2 kHz. The highest peaks are within the 16,000 kHz – 18,000 kHz regions by +3dB before stabilising to 35,000 kHz. Idle noise starts around 34,000 kHz. The idle noise peaks are within the 36,000 kHz – 39,000 kHz regions before stabilising to 40,000 kHz. The –3dB point in the High Frequency is around 44,000 kHz.

Peavey IPR2 7500 A.C. Cord

The A.C. Cord is approximately 0.76 metres (2.5 feet), which is ridiculously short for an A.C. line cord. However, to achieve 7500 watts from a 12 AWG cable with less than 1% loss, the cable length must be short.

Peavey IPR2 7500 Cooling Mechanism

The cooling mechanism in the Peavey IPR2 7500 uses the right side if the amplifier for the intake and, exhausts the air on the left side of the amplifier. The front and back vents are merely there to allow fresh air to pass through convection ally.

The cooling mechanism is my biggest gripe of the Peavey IPR2 7500. As the fans are configured on the sides of the amplifier as a means of forced cooling, the chances of the amplifier getting warm while idling is likely since there is a 1 inch spacing between the side of an amplifier and the wall of a rack.

This may cause a problem of heating up the rack if multiple Peavey IPR2 7500 (around 4 or more) amplifiers are mounted in the same rack one on top of the other.  

Peavey IPR2 7500 Output Voltage No Load, 55 Hz Sine wave

The figures below were measured at the Speakon’s output.

121.5 volts DDT Off

125.8 volts DDT On

174.0 volts Overdriven (Feeding 10.26 volts at the input)

Note: The mixer was pushed to its maximum output voltage limit. More output voltage may coexist in the Peavey IPR2 7500 amplifier however the mixer could only deliver 10.26 volts at its output.

RMS, Peak, Peak To Peak No Load

Where 121.5 volts would be the RMS, one-way Peak would be 172.251 volts or 343.654 peak to peak.

Where 125.8 volts would be the RMS, one-way Peak would be 177.908 volts or 355.816 peak to peak.

I do not have the tools (as of yet) to bench test such an amplifier that offers the amount of output voltage the Peavey IPR2 7500 possess on a resistive load.

Peavey IPR2 7500 Compared To Peavey CS 800X

The Peavey IPR2 7500 sounds like the old Peavey CS series from the 1990’s downwards within the 100 Hz to 20 Hz regions. I could not hear a significant difference comparing the Peavey IPR2 7500 to Peavey CS 800X and CS 900 amplifier(s) other than a little more distortion in favour of the old CS 800X/900 due to getting closer to their limits sooner than the IPR2 7500.

I am definitely going to purchase 5 more IPR2 7500 amplifiers and use them in conjunction with my 6 Macro-tech 5000vz amplifiers. The price to performance ratio is excellent. In addition to being an original design and not a copy is plus as far as I am concerned. My second IPR2 7500 should be at my doorstep by end of the week.

Best Regards,

-------------
Elliot Thompson

Replies:
Date Posted: 13 October 2014 at 12:40am
To hear how the bass sounds on the Electronic Dance Music & Reggae Music amongst the two amplifiers you can download the link below.

Bear in mind the files are coded in FLAC.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BysEZgz2cg_yUW1fYndrOWd0NWM/view?usp=sharing" rel="nofollow - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BysEZgz2cg_yUW1fYndrOWd0NWM/view?usp=sharing

Best Regards,

-------------
Elliot Thompson

Posted By: all bass
Date Posted: 13 October 2014 at 6:49am
Good review! Thumbs Up

Too bad there is a huge price difference between the States ($800,-) and here...(€1150,-)

Posted By: U.Viktor
Date Posted: 13 October 2014 at 9:48am
Peavey IPR 7500 has just little average power supply, I would say "too weak" for most of the jobs.
There is not too much capacitors inside so DC rails collapse pretty quickly under higher BPMs.
It shares similar self-oscillating cheapish claasD core like Behringer INUKE and couple of other cheap Crowns.
So no *real output feedback* therefore the frequency and pulse response is load dependent = not professional
What is ugly that the cooling air directly sprays dust particles to the surface mounted components = low reliability, failure is decoded..

Posted By: darkmatter
Date Posted: 13 October 2014 at 10:41am
Great review, thanks!

The price/performance ratio for US buyers is very impressive... if only I could get a couple in hand luggage and avoid import taxesLOL

Date Posted: 13 October 2014 at 11:31am

Originally posted by U.Viktor U.Viktor wrote:

Peavey IPR 7500 has just little average power supply, I would say "too weak" for most of the jobs.
There is not too much capacitors inside so DC rails collapse pretty quickly under higher BPMs.
It shares similar self-oscillating cheapish claasD core like Behringer INUKE and couple of other cheap Crowns.
So no *real output feedback* therefore the frequency and pulse response is load dependent = not professional
What is ugly that the cooling air directly sprays dust particles to the surface mounted components = low reliability, failure is decoded..

Your comments is based “hear say” and no real world experience using or owning the amplifier.

What experience have you had using the Peavey IPR2 7500 amplifier under high BPM conditions at the given load (Please specify at what impedance the loudspeaker was dipping at the given frequency where the rails collapsed) so I can test it myself?

In the event someone wanted an amplifier with a more robust power supply they can invest in the Crest Pro Lite 7.5, which cost a little more in which, Peavey’s designer stated offers a stronger power supply than the Peavey IPR2 7500.

How is it possible to achieve more dust particles in an amplifier that offers an intake and exhaust from side to side as opposed to front to back? Any one that class themselves as a Professional will pop open their amplifier(s) and clean out the dust once or twice a year. For those that are afraid to do such things will send it to a tech and have them do it.

I have been opening my amplifiers and cleaning out the dust particles a minimum of once a year for the past 20 years. Which is why none of my amplifiers have found the need to be serviced.

Best Regards,

-------------
Elliot Thompson

Date Posted: 13 October 2014 at 11:51am

Originally posted by darkmatter darkmatter wrote:

Great review, thanks!

The price/performance ratio for US buyers is very impressive... if only I could get a couple in hand luggage and avoid import taxesLOL

This is precisely why I am buying them. I can purchase 5 brand new in the box Peavey IPR2 7500 amplifiers which will be half the cost of 1 Lab Gruppen FP 14000 brand new in the box.

Since everyone loves to tote burst ratings these days lets compare the two and see which amplifier will give me the most power for the dollar.

1 Lab Gruppen FP 14000 burst output rating: 14,000 watts
5 Peavey IPR2 7500 burst output rating: 47,500 watts

Best Regards,

-------------
Elliot Thompson

Date Posted: 13 October 2014 at 12:02pm
re. the power supply size, the designer has been very transparent about their thinking in terms of balancing the unit cost against functionality for the majority of use cases. Commendable imo.

Date Posted: 13 October 2014 at 12:33pm

I have seen and repaired several similar devices, based on same or very similar circuitry.  So I know and understand the cost benefits of this type of circuitry also its technical limitations.
What I said "it is NOT professional" is well founded, comes from the physical construction and from the type of circuitry as well as its lack of several important features.
The size of the power transformer and (lack) of cooling mass, no real heathsinks reflects that maximum 2000W is possible as charging power for short periods.
Letting dirt directly on the surface of the boards, for example any liquid, dew or smoke machine do this! At the tiny traces of high voltage gate drivers (like IRS20965 or 20957..) is a FATAL failure in reliability aspects!

Date Posted: 13 October 2014 at 1:08pm

I have seen and repaired several similar devices, based on same or very similar circuitry.  So I know and understand the cost benefits of this type of circuitry also its technical limitations.
What I said "it is NOT professional" is well founded, comes from the physical construction and from the type of circuitry as well as its lack of several important features.
The size of the power transformer and (lack) of cooling mass, no real heathsinks reflects that maximum 2000W is possible as charging power for short periods.
Letting dirt directly on the surface of the boards, for example any liquid, dew or smoke machine do this! At the tiny traces of high voltage gate drivers (like IRS20965 or 20957..) is a FATAL failure in reliability aspects!

You cannot compare a similar product and assume that the same thing will apply to the Peavey IPR2 7500 unless you had a Peavey IPR2 7500 at your disposal. That is like two men wearing a size 11.5 shoe and assuming there is no differential in the fitting. Although both men wear the same size shoe, the width and arch of the shoe will determine how well the shoe fits on each individual.

Mounting a Precision Devices PD 1850 in three different bins will yield three different results based on how much the TS Parameters changes once it resides in each bin. For its surroundings determine its overall outcome.

Best Regards,

-------------
Elliot Thompson

Date Posted: 13 October 2014 at 1:26pm
U.Viktor doesn't even need to see the other size 11.5 shoes, he knows PKN do the best size 11.5 shoes, periodLOL

U.Viktor - hopefully you know I am just poking fun here. I appreciate your input as you're clearly very knowledgeable, but I gather from seeing a number of your posts that you have a clear allegiance with a certain brand. I think you should maybe add a disclaimer, where applicable, when you are commenting on other brands. Best to be upfront and say that you have no real first hand evidence of the Peavey IPR2 amps failing to deliver as promised in the majority of real world uses for the majority of users - unless you can propose a superior option at this same price?

Posted By: MarjanM
Date Posted: 13 October 2014 at 1:57pm
In the USA it is very difficult to beat the bang for the buck those Peaveys gives.
Here not so much. So i dont think we will see them in use very often.

-------------
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713

Date Posted: 13 October 2014 at 6:16pm

The courier shows the second Peavey IPR2 7500 will arrive on my doorstep on Friday.

I performed various not so common tests with the Peavey IPR2 7500 amplifier. One of those test were measuring the idle current of the amplifier once powered on. The video below shows such test.

Best Regards,

-------------
Elliot Thompson

Date Posted: 13 October 2014 at 7:58pm
Sorry but I did not want to be harsh, I just wanted to share some info what I think important.
There is a very sad trajectory on the audio market, I see more and more poor quality, badly designed however cheap devices now not only from the far east but from "used to be famous" manufacturers.
Unfortunately most of the folks do not have any idea how these things really working and the marketing machine of these companies ruthlessly misleading the not-so-expert public about real technical values.
I just wanted to warn you that may these things will not work so good as expected. For example It is not only about this Peavey IPR but most of similar devices designed around the class-D self-oscillating amplifier solution of International Rectifier: http://www.irf.com/product/Gate-Driver-ICs-and-Controllers-Class-D-Audio-Solutions-Class-D-Audio-ICs/_/N%7E1nje2e#tab-tab1" rel="nofollow - http://www.irf.com/product/Gate-Driver-ICs-and-Controllers-Class-D-Audio-Solutions-Class-D-Audio-ICs/_/N~1nje2e#tab-tab1
If you check the technical specifications of these drivers you will see that all of them has made for:
*Home theater systems
*Mini component stereo systems
*Powered speaker systems
*General purpose audio power amplifiers
There is zero word about professional audio, because these have not made for it. The widely variable frequency operation, lack of real output feedback, lack of such important protection features like current source mode or elevated output levels due undamped LC resonance with certain type of loads.. make this thing unusable as a real professional audio amplifier.

Posted By: ape3435
Date Posted: 13 October 2014 at 8:46pm
Don't understand all this mumbo jumbo from you experienced guys, but a few days ago I had an opportunity to purchase an IPR2 7500 or a PXM1450; guess which one I bought marjam LOL

Date Posted: 13 October 2014 at 9:14pm

Sorry but I did not want to be harsh, I just wanted to share some info what I think important.
There
is a very sad trajectory on the audio market, I see more and more poor
quality, badly designed however cheap devices now not only from the far
east but from "used to be famous" manufacturers.
Unfortunately most
of the folks do not have any idea how these things really working and
the marketing machine of these companies ruthlessly misleading the
not-so-expert public about real technical values.
I just wanted to
warn you that may these things will not work so good as expected. For
example It is not only about this Peavey IPR but most of similar devices
designed around the class-D self-oscillating amplifier solution of
International Rectifier: http://www.irf.com/product/Gate-Driver-ICs-and-Controllers-Class-D-Audio-Solutions-Class-D-Audio-ICs/_/N%7E1nje2e#tab-tab1" rel="nofollow - http://www.irf.com/product/Gate-Driver-ICs-and-Controllers-Class-D-Audio-Solutions-Class-D-Audio-ICs/_/N~1nje2e#tab-tab1
If you check the technical specifications of these drivers you will see that all of them has made for:
*Home theater systems
*Powered speaker systems
There
is zero word about professional audio, because these have not made for
it. The widely variable frequency operation, lack of real output
feedback, lack of such important protection features like current source
mode or elevated output levels due undamped LC resonance with certain
type of loads.. make this thing unusable as a real professional audio
amplifier.

Again if you have no on hands experience with the product at hand (Peavey IPR2 7500) you are merely offering speculations. How the components work in an amplifier together as a team will determine the outcome.

The stress (if any based on the end-user) the amplifier will face boils down to the loudspeaker(s). Since no one can say how much stress a loudspeaker will bring forth to an amplifier without literally measuring the impedance curve in the box using loudspeaker-measuring tools, saying how well an amplifier will perform with no on hands experience of the amplifier in question more so loudspeaker(s) being used under the given conditions is merely speculation.

And lets look at it from a company perspective. Peavey offers a 2-year warranty on their IPR2 amplifiers. If you buy the amplifier from an authorised Peavey dealer, they will extend that warranty for 5 years. So if any of my Peavey IPR2 7500 amplifiers breaks down Peavey will honour the warranty until 2019.

Best Regards,

-------------
Elliot Thompson

Posted By: Shaun
Date Posted: 13 October 2014 at 9:27pm
I own 9 pairs of PKN size 11.5 shoes they fit well in every instance, would not swap them for anything

-------------
No, it is not a line array it is some well stacked boxes...............

Date Posted: 14 October 2014 at 2:00am

It is good to hear you are content with your investment. Thus far, I am very happy with the performance of the Peavey IPR2 7500 Amplifier, which is why, I am buying more.

I own a dozen Crown Amplifiers that I would never part with. I also own a dozen Peavey Amplifiers I would never part with. QSC amplifiers are what I have the least of however, I would never consider getting rid of them. The few Crest (Before Peavey acquired them) amplifiers I owned (The Professional Series) were too problematic in which I got rid of them.

The name of the game is finding what works best for your requirements, make a profit and have the manufacture locally or a least an authorised service centre locally if something goes wrong the problem can be rectified.

Once you start looking at things from a business perspective and not a hobbyist perspective you will take everything into consideration when buying audio products. My hobbyist days left with the 1990’s.

Best Regards,

-------------
Elliot Thompson

Posted By: Earplug
Date Posted: 14 October 2014 at 8:21am
"The few Crest (Before Peavey acquired them) amplifiers I owned (The Professional Series) were too problematic in which I got rid of them."

I actually find that very surprising. What problems did you have? My 7/8001´s have proved to be very reliable - a couple even once surviving being plugged in to 380V - and are most probably the last amps I would sell (and I have already refused some very good offers for my 8001´s). I also doubt whether any of those new Peaveys will still be going in 20 years...  Ouch

-------------
Earplugs Are For Wimps!

Date Posted: 14 October 2014 at 1:03pm

In the States it is rare if you find anyone using the old Crest Professional Series. The typical failure rate these amplifiers featured in the States were going into temp mode when the amplifier is cold and/or stuck into protect mode. Parts become hard to come by which pretty much left no alternative but to get rid of them.

I was actually surprised the home audio enthusiasts did not grab them and do their typical audiophile modifications.

I can understand being sceptical about this design. However once I did my calculations this is what I foresee in the coming months.

Within 2 months 5 IPR 7500s will pay for themselves and everything after would be pure profit. Peavey’s 5-year warranty gives me 5 years to make as much profit as possible using these amplifiers in which, Peavey will stand by their product if one (or more) IPR2 7500 amplifier(s) happens to break down.

The amplifiers will work together as a team. Each Peavey IPR2 7500 amplifier will not drive anything lower than a 4-ohm nominal load. Under the worst-case scenario each channel will see a 3.5 resistive load minimum. As I measure the impedance curve of the loudspeaker in the enclosure, I know what is lowest impedance my sub enclosures will offer.

If the amplifiers die in 20 years I don’t care for they served their purpose. I am quite certain Peavey will have the available parts if I chose to get them serviced by Peavey once the 5 year warranty expires if, one or more dies.

The IPR2 is Peavey’s top of the line series at the moment. They learned from their mistakes with the IPR, rectified the problems and introduced the IPR2.

Best Regards,

-------------
Elliot Thompson

Date Posted: 14 October 2014 at 2:17pm
Yes, I understand the above, but doesn´t really help the planet...

http://www.zerowaste.org/" rel="nofollow - http://www.zerowaste.org/

Cry

-------------
Earplugs Are For Wimps!

Date Posted: 14 October 2014 at 4:07pm
Originally posted by Earplug Earplug wrote:

Cry

On the other hand, over the course of the product's lifetime, how many watts are saved by the slightly more efficient design of the IPR2s? Sorry going a bit off topic here :)

Posted By: MarjanM
Date Posted: 14 October 2014 at 4:11pm
FACT is that Peavy amps (you like it or not) are the most reliable amps ever made.
How many amps are still out there from the CS800 era?
Thousands of those 800s are still making money.

-------------
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713

Posted By: ArthurG
Date Posted: 15 October 2014 at 1:54am

There is a very sad trajectory on the audio market, I see more and more poor quality, badly designed however cheap devices now not only from the far east but from "used to be famous" manufacturers.
^^This
U.Viktor is perfectly right. These IPR/inuke stuff is low grade class D tech with for example freq curve dependent of impedance and weak power supplies.  It's not even compliant to euro standard without active PFC. Everything screams cheaaaap and too much compromises have been made to reach a certain price point.

Unfortunately most of the folks do not have any idea how these things really working and the marketing machine of these companies ruthlessly misleading the not-so-expert public about real technical values.
I just wanted to warn you that may these things will not work so good as expected. For example It is not only about this Peavey IPR but most of similar devices designed around the class-D self-oscillating amplifier solution of International Rectifier: http://www.irf.com/product/Gate-Driver-ICs-and-Controllers-Class-D-Audio-Solutions-Class-D-Audio-ICs/_/N%7E1nje2e#tab-tab1" rel="nofollow - http://www.irf.com/product/Gate-Driver-ICs-and-Controllers-Class-D-Audio-Solutions-Class-D-Audio-ICs/_/N~1nje2e#tab-tab1
*Home theater systems
*Powered speaker systems
There is zero word about professional audio, because these have not made for it. The widely variable frequency operation, lack of real output feedback, lack of such important protection features like current source mode or elevated output levels due undamped LC resonance with certain type of loads.. make this thing unusable as a real professional audio amplifier.
Again, Viktor is right. The use of integrated IR class D IC shows that price was the only factor when these amps were designed. These ICs are used outside their intended purpose and many tricks must be used to avoid their limitation...
And it's even more disappointing that people seems to find this situation fine, as long as they have their cheap stuff. Sad time for pro audio tech lovers Ouch

Date Posted: 15 October 2014 at 7:11am

Originally posted by ArthurG ArthurG wrote:

There
is a very sad trajectory on the audio market, I see more and more poor
quality, badly designed however cheap devices now not only from the far
east but from "used to be famous" manufacturers.
^^This
U.Viktor is perfectly right. These IPR/inuke stuff is low grade class D tech with for example freq curve dependent of impedance and weak power supplies.  It's not even compliant to euro standard without active PFC. Everything screams cheaaaap and too much compromises have been made to reach a certain price point.

Unfortunately most
of the folks do not have any idea how these things really working and
the marketing machine of these companies ruthlessly misleading the
not-so-expert public about real technical values.
I just wanted to
warn you that may these things will not work so good as expected. For
example It is not only about this Peavey IPR but most of similar devices
designed around the class-D self-oscillating amplifier solution of
International Rectifier: http://www.irf.com/product/Gate-Driver-ICs-and-Controllers-Class-D-Audio-Solutions-Class-D-Audio-ICs/_/N%7E1nje2e#tab-tab1" rel="nofollow - http://www.irf.com/product/Gate-Driver-ICs-and-Controllers-Class-D-Audio-Solutions-Class-D-Audio-ICs/_/N~1nje2e#tab-tab1
*Home theater systems
*Powered speaker systems
There
is zero word about professional audio, because these have not made for
it. The widely variable frequency operation, lack of real output
feedback, lack of such important protection features like current source
mode or elevated output levels due undamped LC resonance with certain
type of loads.. make this thing unusable as a real professional audio
amplifier.

Again, Viktor is right. The use of integrated IR class D IC shows that price was the only factor when these amps were designed. These ICs are used outside their intended purpose and many tricks must be used to avoid their limitation...
And it's even more disappointing that people seems to find this situation fine, as long as they have their cheap stuff. <span style="line-height: 1.4;">Sad time for pro audio tech lovers </span>Ouch

All of this does not matter to the end user. The only thing that matters to the end user is if the amplifier dies the manufacture will stand by their product and fix it.
The longer the manufacture offers a warranty the more faith the manufacture has in their products.

There is another thing that is overlooked, user experience with a particular brand.

If a user can call a manufacture and ask questions in regards to a nearly 40-year old amplifier 30 years later, in which the manufacture can answer, the service the company provided leaves a lasting impression on the user. If a person used various products sporting a company’s logo throughout the decades, which have never failed, that user will buy products from that manufacture.

Everyone loves to pick fun at Peavey however, in the States Peavey’s service is impeccable. And with a 5-year warranty I need not worry about a thing.

Best Regards,

-------------
Elliot Thompson

Date Posted: 15 October 2014 at 7:54am
Originally posted by darkmatter darkmatter wrote:

Cry

On the other hand, over the course of the product's lifetime, how many watts are saved by the slightly more efficient design of the IPR2s? Sorry going a bit off topic here :)

Maybe, but repairing one of the old amps is usually fairly straightforward - just identify and replace components. Repair on (most) modern electronics is more like identify problem - and then change the whole board! Less time spent on the repair, but definitely more waste.

And on the subject of energy waste - I remember a documentary about the car industry where they had a look at the increased level of planned obsolescence within the industry and reckoned that it had got to the point where the average car would now use less energy/fuel within it´s lifetime than it actually needed  to manufacture the vehicle in the first place. So much for the modern 'energy efficient vehicle'.  Ouch

-------------
Earplugs Are For Wimps!

Posted By: DjLeco
Date Posted: 15 October 2014 at 9:05am
How many amperes have BREAKER of this amp?

7500Watts from an ETD49?

Not even at 1Mhz for that core.

I'm not sure, could be ETD59 core, wich at 5kW for 125 kHz, canot sustain more than couple tenth of seconds, without increase over 100 celcius degrees for core material.

Also seried coil with primary winding (resonant ZCS core) cannot sustain 5kW without adequate cooling (-2 material, Micrometals toroid core).

So, shortly according randament of SMPS, let's say 94% (zero current switching resonant mode), and 95% classD amplifier (I'm gentle too), we achieve around 91% randament (a dream, not even powersost claims that).

So for that amount of power, we must extract at least 8400 watts from soket.

Show me how we can dissipate around 1000watts of wasted power, without adequate heatsinks?

For 8500Watts extracted, main breaker must have minimum 50 amperes to sustain and hold that.

I know, you will tell musical program is not one continuous sinusoidal signal...

Test that amplifier on dummy load 4 ohms, and you'll see one small burst of 1-5 miliseconds of power (as long as those tiny storage capactors will offer stored energy), then a lot of limitings, more than 50% from peak reads, therefore quicky thermal limiting.

As here, the most praised amplifiers PO(or)WERSOFT, canot sustain claimed power, quicky limiting to around 2000 watts on 2 ohms load, from 5900watts claimed, watch entire video to see real act on 2 ohms load: Cry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjGHKoTKRjk" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjGHKoTKRjk

-------------
I'm A Stupid SMART Romanian...

Date Posted: 15 October 2014 at 1:51pm
In the United States, the standard voltage is 120 volts. The available amperage that the average user will have access to (That do not carry a Distro) is 20-A or 15-A. So there is no way anyone is going get remotely close to 3000 watts long-term due to the limitation of the circuit breaker the amplifier will be plugged into. For those that carry Distro that have 30-A breakers you are looking long-term 3600 watts.

The reason why many are using these burst rated Class D amplifiers in the United States is not due to low impedance handling in regards to current, it is due to the amount of voltage these amplifiers can deliver at high impedance loads in which the loudspeakers designed today deliver when they reside in their enclosures. Bass Horns are synonymous of offering high impedance loads once you measure impedance curve of the loudspeaker in the enclosure.

You see it all boils down to impedance load of loudspeaker at the given frequencies. Amplifier manufactures will not mention this, however loudspeaker designers will know this.

Best Regards,

-------------
Elliot Thompson

Posted By: vectrasoundz
Date Posted: 15 October 2014 at 2:11pm
Sorry for the crappy pic, there are 5 IPR2 5000s in the setup shown, one of the 5000s has been changed to a 7500 now. These amps work 5 days a week (bass, mid bass and mid) and one of those days is a 12 hour+ event and this has been going on for well over a year. The ONLY issue we have had is the amps 2 of the amps started having a power on issue, but once on they never quit. The issue turned out to be an issue with dust and now that is solved smooth sailing again.

Date Posted: 15 October 2014 at 9:15pm
If you show me 114 volts RMS on 4 ohms, sustained for at least 10 seconds, I will believe you.

And peavey too.

Make please one movie like that, where I have used 4 ohms dummy load:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oCNWHKCmYI&feature=youtu.be" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oCNWHKCmYI&feature=youtu.be

First I measure on 8 ohms (2x4 ohms seried) and after I shortcircuit one dummy resistor leaving just 4 ohms as dummy load on output.

I measured over 22A rms on output, and after, I move clampmeter(ampermeter) to measure current extracted from 220Vac soket (15-16 amperes).

Those 169 volts are DC tension supply , output stages are in bridge mode.

-------------

Posted By: bitSmasher
Date Posted: 15 October 2014 at 10:37pm
Where is this thread does anyone make such statements that you are challenging?

Posted By: toastyghost
Date Posted: 15 October 2014 at 11:04pm
I too work shows with a 10 second solid full output sustained bass note.

Actually, I really do on occasion, and not dubstep either – but 'lesser' amps such as Powersoft haven't failed to deliver the goods yet.

Date Posted: 16 October 2014 at 5:10am

Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

I too work shows with a 10 second solid full output sustained bass note.

Actually, I really do on occasion, and not dubstep either – but 'lesser' amps such as Powersoft haven't failed to deliver the goods yet.

What about the impedance of the loudspeaker at the given frequencies you are feeding it in the enclosure? No matter how you look at it, we drive loudspeakers on our amplifiers. Loudspeaker impedance will vary per frequency.

Also loudspeakers are rated under a nominal load. For those who do not know what a nominal value is, the link below will give you a brief explanation

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_versus_nominal_value" rel="nofollow - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_versus_nominal_value

All loudspeaker manufactures rate their speakers using a nominal value. Unless you literally measure the impedance load of the loudspeaker in the enclosure you have no idea what is the real impedance curve.

Best Regards,

-------------
Elliot Thompson

Date Posted: 16 October 2014 at 9:47am
Yes myfriend, generally loudspeakers impedance varying alot with freq, especially on bass range.

But measured in DC voicecoil of 8 ohms speaker are officially 6,8 ohms, not 8, or 4 ohm speaker is around 3,2 ohms.

At short punchy bass, around 80-100Hz, the amp will see lower than "official speaker impedance", of 4 ohms or 8 ohms, tipically will see 6,8 ohms (8 ohm speaker) or 3,4 ohms (4 ohms speaker).

At 80-100Hz wich is much over resonant freq of one subwoofer, impedance of speaker(s), vary  very very less.

So in musical program, if there is one passage of let's say 80-100Hz or 30-35Hz longer than couple seconds (more than 10 seconds), and in that moment the amp will limit itself, how it is?

Is not better to be sure that your amp can sustain more than 40 mSecs burst of power (5900 as Powersoft K10 says), instead limiting after 40-100 mSecs at more than half power, especially on lower impedance, 2,66 or 2 ohms?

If someone made one amplifier and claims 2x5900 watts/2 ohms (powersoft K10 by example), must be HONEST and offer this amount of power for at lest 5-10 seconds, and there limmiting (current or thermal) may occur.

I'm not argue with nobody, but I'm an OLDSCHOOL amplifiers FAN, not those mascarades of thousand watts for miliseconds, and after alot of limitting.

I will present soon one Yamaha P7000S, modified by me, (SMPS part, and output devices, power too), at amp section, to show how one amplifier must ACT, to see that real power that you can count on it.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 October 2014 at 2:12pm

The Re of a loudspeaker is measured in Free Air. Once the loudspeaker is housed in an enclosure the Re will change because it is no longer operating in free air. The graph below shows what happens to an 8-ohm nominal 18-inch driver with a Re of 6.5 once it is placed in an enclosure.

As I don’t use horn-loaded bass cabinets this is the only cabinet I have. However, we can still calculate an outcome using basic divison.

If we loaded four cabinets using the same driver in the same enclosure shown in graph above on a single channel of an amplifier, we would assume we are operating the amplifier on a 2-ohm load from 20 Hz – 100 Hz. But the reality is the amplifier would not see a load no lower than a 5-ohm from 20 Hz – 100 Hz.

As many members on Speakersplans (Excluding myself) use some means of a horn-loaded scheme to propagate bass, this is the reason many are content with Class D Amplifiers. What it loses in current, it makes up in voltage. As we know you can either have high voltage and low current or high current and low voltage.

It is always better to have high voltage for resistive loads like the loudspeaker/enclosure impedance plot shown in photo above. For the end result will always be more output.

I could not understand why many were claiming there was a huge difference moving from high current low voltage amplifiers to high voltage low current amplifiers driving their Bass Bins. It was only when I connected a light bulb to the output of the Peavey IPR2 7500 to verify the 124 output voltage statement written on the back of the amplifier that it all made sense.    

Lets look at the graph again.

What would be the best method to drive a folded horn offering such high impedance loads in the graph listed above if maximum SPL is the objective? A high current low voltage amplifier or a low current high voltage amplifier?

If I had the equipment to bench test the Peavey IPR2 7500, I would definitely do it. I am not going to get rid of my old Class A/B and Class H amplifiers for they excel when high current requirements are needed. However, Class D amplifiers do a better job when high voltage requirements are needed.

Best Regards,

-------------
Elliot Thompson

Date Posted: 16 October 2014 at 3:35pm
Man, WE users what can we understand is that:

On dummy load, those amps (big power burst ones) cannot sustain power claimed.

But WHY OLDSCHOOL, amplifiers like Crest, Crown, QSC and others, can sustain claimed power for 2 or 4 ohms, without limiting in less than 0,5 seconds as seen in Powersoft movie?

That's one question that for I wait your HONEST answer.

Here you'll se one oldschool 5000VZ Crown, with limiter activated, so being IOC limiter (input -output comparator limiter) will cut any peaks that can cause clipping, so output will be maintained on sinusoidal waveform.

First is on 4 ohms dummy load, where offers around 94Vac on output at thresshold limiting, si I lower at 90Vac, and sustain it perfectly, and after I put another 4 ohms dummy load in parralel with first one, and the amp can sustain 75-76 Brms, at limiter threshold, without acting like powersoft, to cut output level at almost half ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBMWrXZkwIU" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBMWrXZkwIU

Why the oldschool ones CAN, and why modern ones, cannot...

Because all on it is UNDERSIZED, maximum economy on heatsinks, storage capacitors, materials, etc...

I will make soon, one movie, with one amp who dives power into a known speaker (4 ohms, 2x8 ohms parralel, RCF MB15N401), as full range speaker.

I will put seried ampermeter, and I will play with vreq, mainaining constant output power, to see exactly current on load.

After I will replace speaker with dummy load 4 ohms and repeat the test.

-------------

Posted By: odc04r
Date Posted: 16 October 2014 at 3:36pm
Sorry Elliot, maybe I am missing a trick but what does it matter if an amplifier is designed to deliver high current or high voltage? The impedance of a load is not going to change, and as far as I know class D topology approximates a constant voltage source

I can only assume you are drawing a line between 2 very slightly different categories of enclosure in terms of impedance. Shall we say low, medium, and ultra low as an example. Perhaps such categories in real life might be represented by 0-2Ohms, 2-4Ohms, and 4+Ohms.

I would call all of these loads 'low', for example in terms of valve amplification output impedance, which unless very specifically designed for would need an output transformer to effectively deliver power to any of them.

If I understand your post then you are suggesting that the IPR uses higher voltage rails than typical amplifiers in it's price range and as such it is suited to driving higher impedance loads than lower because otherwise it will start to struggle with current delivery earlier? Because if so, I could understand that. And I could also understand that class D output impedance relies on feedback and is sometimes non linear - in this case perhaps a larger load resistance is helpful perhaps.

I would say that there is a simple 'best' method of driving impedances from the 16 Ohms and lower range. It is (with all else considered equal and assuming deep pockets) the amplifier that that can deliver the largest current with the highest supply rails. If this is not possible for economic reasons then yes, the 'best' amplifier depends on the load that a user wants to run. And that means knowing it so I agree with you there. But if you don't know it then you'd better hope the protection circuitry is good our your client is getting a free gig at the time it goes pop!

For a little while I thought you were taking about trans-impedance voltage to current drive. Which for a while had me scratching my head thinking - what's that got to go with a class-D amp?!

Date Posted: 16 October 2014 at 8:02pm
The impedance load of the loudspeaker/enclosure combination showed in the graph measured in ARTA is the actual load the amplifier would see at the given frequencies once the loudspeaker/enclosure combination is connected to the output of the amplifier.

Since Class D amplifiers we use today offer more voltage (rails) than the typical Class H or Class A/B amplifiers offered today, under high impedance loads Class D amplifiers will send more voltage to a loudspeaker that offers a high impedance load due to how it (the loudspeaker) reacts in the enclosure.

Class H amplifiers either offers high volts low current for high impedance loads or, low voltage high current for low impedance loads.

If a loudspeaker residing in an enclosure offers a high impedance load at the frequencies you are looking to amplify, a Class D amplifier will offer more volts to such a loudspeaker as it (the Class D amplifier) offers higher voltage rails (high volts low current) than a Class H amplifier.

If a loudspeaker residing in an enclosure offers a low impedance load at the frequencies you are looking to amplify, a Class H or A/B amplifier will offer more current to such a loudspeaker as it (the Class H, A/B amplifier) offers more current (low volts high current) than a Class D amplifier.

A step down transformer follows the same principal

240 volts 15 amperes 3600 watts = resistance 16 ohms
120 volts 30 amperes 3600 watts = resistance 4 ohms

The end result is the same in terms of wattage. The only difference is the load.

Many assume a loudspeaker offers a constant load (8 ohm, 4 ohm) at all frequencies, which is never the case. Loudspeaker impedance load varies with frequency. This is why I always mention measure the TS Parameters of the raw driver and the impedance curve of the driver residing in the enclosure.

Best Regards,

-------------
Elliot Thompson

Date Posted: 16 October 2014 at 8:35pm
Man I refear at example of powersoft, claasD amplifier, K10.

On 2 ohms they claim 2x5900 watts.

that means 109 volts rms for 2 ohm.

I see that amplifier gives a very short burst of 108 vrms then goes instantly down to 65 volts rms, it holds for couple seconds then goes into thermal limiting mode.

What can you say about that?

-------------

Date Posted: 16 October 2014 at 10:54pm

Originally posted by DjLeco DjLeco wrote:

Man I refear at example of powersoft, claasD amplifier, K10.

On 2 ohms they claim 2x5900 watts.

that means 109 volts rms for 2 ohm.

I see that amplifier gives a very short burst of 108 vrms then goes instantly down to 65 volts rms, it holds for couple seconds then goes into thermal limiting mode.

What can you say about that?

I am not surprised. I have witnessed the Powersoft K10 run out of gas at 2 ohms per channel nearly 10 years ago.

This occured on the Bassmaxx TRIP no longer in production. One pair was used utilising three 12-inch drivers per enclosure.

Elliot Thompson Subwoofer Shootout 2007 NYC

The subs were actually reduced by – 6dB on the APB Board to balance with the McCauley Line Array. Since everyone wanted to hear how bad they really were, and David wasn’t shy to please a room full of soundguys, they were cranked up. We encountered a limiting factor ……… The K 10.
The clip lights were bouncing every second and third beat, while the trip didn’t even flinch. I actually told David several times that the amp had ran out of gas and, he did reduce the gain. But, it slowly crept back up, and the clip lights were on again.

Guys that are using the Powersoft K10 with no issues loading 4 boxes a side should really measure the impedance curve of their Bass Horns. They may be surprised what they thought was 2 ohms minimum is much higher than that.

My second Peavey IPR2 7500 arrived today and, just completed the online registration form on Peavey's website. I should have a total of 5 by mid November.

Best Regards,

-------------
Elliot Thompson

Date Posted: 17 October 2014 at 1:12am
Originally posted by Elliot Thompson Elliot Thompson wrote:

under high impedance loads Class D amplifiers will send more voltage to a loudspeaker that offers a high impedance load due to how it (the loudspeaker) reacts in the enclosure.

Surely an ideal constant voltage amplifier will output a voltage proportional to it's input, it does not care what the impedance attached to the output is, this only defines current flow after the output voltage is defined.

Class H amplifiers either offers high volts low current for high impedance loads or, low voltage high current for low impedance loads.

Again assuming an ideal voltage source amplifier, once you have defined the output voltage then the current drawn is a function of the load impedance. There is nothing to stop you using any class solid state amplifier with high voltage, high current via a low impedance load except physical damage to the unit if it is not designed to dissipate the excess resulting heat properly.

If a loudspeaker residing in an enclosure offers a low impedance load at the frequencies you are looking to amplify, a Class H or A/B amplifier will offer more current to such a loudspeaker as it (the Class H, A/B amplifier) offers more current (low volts high current) than a Class D amplifier.

I can't agree with this. If both units have the same output voltage over the load they will both draw the same current. If one class of amplifier has higher voltage rails then you have the opportunity to draw even more current using that extra headroom. But given the same output voltage swing, and a fixed load, one class of amplifier is not going to draw less or more current than the other.

If we said that a class D design has less power dissipation in the output devices than an equivalent class H or A/B and therefore we can in general use higher voltage supplies due to a larger output device SOA - then that's a little more specific.

Date Posted: 17 October 2014 at 5:51am
The loudspeaker dictates how much current is extracted out of the amplifier. The loudspeaker’s impedance varies per frequency.

Lets look at the graph again

As you can see, the impedance is higher around 50 Hz compared to 10 Hz of the loudspeaker residing in the Enclosure. So the loudspeaker in the box is extracting more current out of the amplifier at 10 Hz as opposed to 50 Hz.

Lets say we are not concerned with anything below 40 Hz however, we need +3 dB more than what our present amplifier offers in terms of SPL from 40 Hz – 100 Hz.

Lets also say that the amplifier the loudspeaker is residing on delivers 800 watts per channel @ 8 ohms. For a +3 dB increase in terms of output, I will need an amplifier that delivers 1600 watts per channel @ 8 ohms. The 4 and 2 ohm rating does not matter for the loudspeaker in the enclosure impedance does not dip below 18 ohms from 100 Hz – 40 Hz.

Based on the high impedance load the loudspeaker is offering in the enclosure, the only way we can attain +3 dB more in terms of SPL is to feed it more voltage.

You can use any class amplifier you like. However, Class D amplifiers are the ones designed today offering the highest voltage rails in comparison to Class H & Class A/B amplifiers in abundance.

Bear in mind it is common to find horn-loaded designs to offer such an impedance plot like the graph pictured above.

Best Regards,

-------------
Elliot Thompson

Date Posted: 17 October 2014 at 10:20am
Yeah I understand all of that perfectly well enough, it's just that some of your earlier posts gave the impression that a class D topology would deliver more current than an an A_B/G/H just by virtue of the load impedance which I felt needed to be clarified a little.

My only point is that the impedance in such a case is irrelevant. If we take two amplifiers and the first can obtain a higher voltage swing than the second, then it is going to deliver a higher current at that higher voltage into any impedance. It wouldn't matter if that load impedance was 0.5, 5, or 50 Ohms. And at that point it is a question of the how the design of that amplifier can cope with the increased unwanted power dissipation in its output stage (at which I agree, class D has the advantage).

So really I'm just trying to clarify, that it is entirely a matter of individual amplifier design in which there may be a general trend towards higher rails with class D - but each case needs to be considered on it's own merits.

And I agree, that if the current budget class D designs are used to power higher impedance loads then they are going to be more reliable in long term operation. But this is really no more surprising than stating the same about a Behringer EPX4000/2500.

Date Posted: 17 October 2014 at 4:11pm
I just want to see that peavey IPR, acting at least like this amp, on 4 ohms dummy load:

No output dropping (1800watts continuous), on 4 ohm dummy load.

http://postimg.org/image/72jjr0e8f/" rel="nofollow">

http://postimg.org/image/nrpl0o07j/" rel="nofollow">

http://postimg.org/image/7580rl79r/" rel="nofollow">

-------------

Date Posted: 17 October 2014 at 5:43pm
DJ Leco,

Where did you get those metallic objects you use as a resistive load to measure amplifiers?

Best Regards,

-------------
Elliot Thompson

Date Posted: 17 October 2014 at 6:07pm
http://www.farnell.com" rel="nofollow - www.farnell.com

4 ohms 300 watts

http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/search/browse.jsp?N=2031+203074&Ntk=gensearch&Ntt=4+ohms+300w&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial" rel="nofollow - http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/search/browse.jsp?N=2031+203074&Ntk=gensearch&Ntt=4+ohms+300w&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial

-------------

Date Posted: 17 October 2014 at 7:12pm
Nice!

I just ordered a pair. It should arrive by the end of next week.

Best Regards,

-------------
Elliot Thompson

Date Posted: 17 October 2014 at 9:28pm
Originally posted by DjLeco DjLeco wrote:

How many amperes have BREAKER of this amp?

7500Watts from an ETD49?

Not even at 1Mhz for that core.

I'm not sure, could be ETD59 core, wich at 5kW for 125 kHz, canot sustain more than couple tenth of seconds, without increase over 100 celcius degrees for core material.

Also seried coil with primary winding (resonant ZCS core) cannot sustain 5kW without adequate cooling (-2 material, Micrometals toroid core).

So, shortly according randament of SMPS, let's say 94% (zero current switching resonant mode), and 95% classD amplifier (I'm gentle too), we achieve around 91% randament (a dream, not even powersost claims that).

So for that amount of power, we must extract at least 8400 watts from soket.

Show me how we can dissipate around 1000watts of wasted power, without adequate heatsinks?

For 8500Watts extracted, main breaker must have minimum 50 amperes to sustain and hold that.

I know, you will tell musical program is not one continuous sinusoidal signal...

Test that amplifier on dummy load 4 ohms, and you'll see one small burst of 1-5 miliseconds of power (as long as those tiny storage capactors will offer stored energy), then a lot of limitings, more than 50% from peak reads, therefore quicky thermal limiting.

As here, the most praised amplifiers PO(or)WERSOFT, canot sustain claimed power, quicky limiting to around 2000 watts on 2 ohms load, from 5900watts claimed, watch entire video to see real act on 2 ohms load: Cry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjGHKoTKRjk" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjGHKoTKRjk

Mr. DjLeco was right about the average power limitation of the applied magnetics in the power supply of the amplifier which is bellow 2000W (with strong cooling..)
Of course none of todays amplifers can bring the "oldschools" Watts, ALL of them are rated for pulse operation only. it would not be so bad if the manufacturers would not calculating with very narrow duty cycles... However the real difference between them is how many % of the average power capability to their peak values and how long is that peak..
I found that for example the Powersoft K10 can do more than 40% of the peak for longer periods , several tens of seconds which is one of the best in its kind. It is valid only for 4 Ohms loading, bellow 4 Ohms these power figures become bit disappointing... So the minimum loading is 4 Ohms what we are using now.
The king of the average power is the PKN 3PHASE-20K what we saw up to now, it is a completely different category.
But this is the device what most of you will not have and do not forget, less average power capability = much less probability of burned down voice coils :-)

Date Posted: 17 October 2014 at 11:08pm
Possibly voltage is in abundance in Central Europe. There is no way a 3-Phase Power Amplifier would be popular in the States. Crown learned from their mistake in early 1980’s with their Macro-Tech 10,000

The consumer will always be the driving force on the design in the eyes of the Manufacture. The majority wants to load eight 8-ohm nominal woofers on a single amplifier. The majority wants a lightweight amplifier that takes very little rack space. The majority wants to connect the amplifier to a standard household receptacle. The majority wants amplifiers that can deliver 10 k plus watts but won’t trip the household circuit during operation.

You cannot have all the above without some detrimental compromises. The bulk of the consumer market will accept those compromises while a few here and there will not. Manufactures are not going to resort back to the old days. You can either adapt or continue using your old amplifiers. Unless you are working with a rider list, there is no need to use something you do not want.

Best Regards,

-------------
Elliot Thompson

Date Posted: 23 October 2014 at 8:26pm
Interesting difference in the spec sheets, I wonder why this is...

Peavey IPR2 7500:

20Hz - 20kHz 2ch x 4 ohms <0.15% @ 2000 watts 20Hz to 20kHz, both channels driven. 
20Hz - 20kHz 2ch x 8 ohms <0.15% @ 1200 watts 20Hz to 20kHz, both channels driven.

Crest Pro-LITE 7.5:

20Hz - 20kHz 2ch x 4 ohms <0.15% @ 1850 watts 20Hz to 20kHz, both channels driven. 
20Hz - 20kHz 2ch x 8 ohms <0.15% @ 1170 watts 20Hz to 20kHz, both channels driven.

Posted By: bitSmasher
Date Posted: 23 October 2014 at 10:08pm
As anyone running turbosound has experienced, blue = +3db

Posted By: VentureSound
Date Posted: 23 October 2014 at 10:18pm
Note also that none of this new cheap stuff has 2 ohm capability thereby leaving you unable to re-patch if another cheap amplifier lets you down in the middle of a gig.  

Posted By: sn95
Date Posted: 23 October 2014 at 10:22pm
It is because the Crest seems to always be higher rated than the Peavey of the same model .

Date Posted: 23 October 2014 at 10:30pm

Originally posted by VentureSound VentureSound wrote:

Note also that none of this new cheap stuff has 2 ohm capability thereby leaving you unable to re-patch if another cheap amplifier lets you down in the middle of a gig.  

The amplifiers darkmatter posted are 2 ohms rated. Darkmatter never posted the 2-ohm ratings.

The differential in wattage ratings darkmatter posted amongst Crest & Peavey is insignificant for the human ear to detect.   

Best Regards,

-------------
Elliot Thompson

Date Posted: 23 October 2014 at 10:39pm
I will admit that I have been looking at this particular model for a while and thank,s for the insight and information on it Elliot .

Date Posted: 23 October 2014 at 11:12pm

Originally posted by sn95 sn95 wrote:

I will admit that I have been looking at this particular model for a while and thank,s for the insight and information on it Elliot .

No problem. I don't think many realise the price these amplifiers are going for brand new in the States. Although the IPR2 7500 is 2 ohms rated, it really doesn't make sense to worry about stressing an amplifier at 2 ohms per channel when you can just buy two amplifiers, have more headroom and, not find yourself under financial turmoil during the process.

My third IPR2 7500 should be arriving tomorrow.

Best Regards,

-------------
Elliot Thompson

Date Posted: 23 October 2014 at 11:43pm
Keep us inform !!

Date Posted: 24 October 2014 at 2:27am
This is what I would call a quick and dirty bench test for I kept tripping the 20-amp breaker. Naturally so, in the States, standard A.C. receptacles offer 20 amp and 15 amp circuits.

Sine wave: 10 Hz
Channels Tested: 1
Resistance: 4 ohms (see photo below)
DDT Active: 98.8 volts (Maximum output voltage a few seconds before A.C. Breaker Trips)
DDT Active: 101.1 volts (Maximum output voltage when the A.C. Breaker Trips)

98.8 volts @ 4 ohms equates to 2440.3 watts
101.1 volts @ 4 ohms equates to 2555.3 watts

I have to give Homage for DJ Leco for giving me the link to acquire the resistors.

Best Regards,

-------------
Elliot Thompson

Date Posted: 24 October 2014 at 11:24am
Nice resistor, Elliot! Clap

Is brand new and is brown.

After couple testing at 3x his power, his color will change... LOL

Try to use some air tunnel and forced fan cooling for longtime using, that brown ceramic resine that covers the resistor material it dies (melt) at higher temps than 200-250 celcius degrees.

Cheers!

-------------

Date Posted: 24 October 2014 at 1:57pm
Mine are dark green/turquoise!  Tongue

And fan/s are definitely a good idea.

I see the start of a new thread here - Show Off Your Big Load (resisters)!  LOL

-------------
Earplugs Are For Wimps!

Posted By: Teunos
Date Posted: 24 October 2014 at 2:15pm
put it in a tub of oil, speakons on the top and fix the resistors in place using something like electrical wire. This way constant impedance won't be a problem Wink

-------------
Best regards,
Teun.

Date Posted: 24 October 2014 at 7:09pm

That would be very helpful as we can all learn ways to keep our resistors cool. Has anyone devised a switch so we can toggle from 4 ohms to 2 ohms?

I am most interested in finding ways to manage the smell they give off once they get hot.

Best Regards,

-------------
Elliot Thompson

Posted By: patryk1305
Date Posted: 24 October 2014 at 8:17pm

That would be very helpful as we can all learn ways to keep our resistors cool. Has anyone devised a switch so we can toggle from 4 ohms to 2 ohms?

I am most interested in finding ways to manage the smell they give off once they get hot.

Best Regards,

Something along the lines of this? (Obviously this is for illustration only)

Date Posted: 24 October 2014 at 8:44pm

Originally posted by patryk1305 patryk1305 wrote:

Best Regards,

Something along the lines of this? (Obviously this is for illustration only)

More to wards having a toggle switch on one out of the two resistors. This will enable you to activate second resistor if/when needed so, the amplifier will see a 2 ohm load as oppose to 4 ohms.

Best Regards,

-------------
Elliot Thompson

Posted By: NathanShort
Date Posted: 25 October 2014 at 4:54am
4 8ohm water heater elements in a sealed bucket of water.  My old one just melted from Powersoft testing

-------------

“Gentlemen, we will chase perfection, and we will chase it relentlessly, knowing all the while we can never attain it. But along the way, we shall catch excellence.”

― Vince Lombardi Jr.

Date Posted: 25 October 2014 at 10:53am
"Something along the lines of this? (Obviously this is for illustration only)"

Yes, I do that, but switching between 8 ohm and 4 ohm. 16 ohms for amp testing isn´t really that usefull these days.   Smile

-------------
Earplugs Are For Wimps!

Date Posted: 26 October 2014 at 5:40pm

This is what I would call a quick and dirty bench test for I kept tripping the 20-amp breaker. Naturally so, in the States, standard A.C. receptacles offer 20 amp and 15 amp circuits.

Sine wave: 10 Hz
Channels Tested: 1
Resistance: 4 ohms (see photo below)
DDT Active: 98.8 volts (Maximum output voltage a few seconds before A.C. Breaker Trips)
DDT Active: 101.1 volts (Maximum output voltage when the A.C. Breaker Trips)

98.8 volts @ 4 ohms equates to 2440.3 watts
101.1 volts @ 4 ohms equates to 2555.3 watts

I have to give Homage for DJ Leco for giving me the link to acquire the resistors.

Best Regards,

Good , this is better power figure what I suspected.  It would be nice to see how the output signal looks like during loading. 10Hz is likely a too low frequency for tests due expected very high ripple on the DC rails, I would try it at least with 100Hz or little higher. This type of wirewound resistor has high additional inductance because of its physical geometry therefore it adds significant resistance increment on higher frequency like 1KHz or above..
So the actual load impedance may not that what you think ;-) but higher.

Date Posted: 26 October 2014 at 7:50pm
Also any speaker have inductance ans DC resistance.

The tests must be done at 50 and 100Hz, in mine opinion, for max output sustained, and at 1000Hz for burst signals, 33mSec on, 66 mSec off.

-------------

Date Posted: 26 October 2014 at 7:55pm
There is a reason I purposely used 10 cycles. Prior to posting the 10 cycle output voltage ratings, the breaker had tripped twice using a higher frequency (45 Hz). As it is not possible to conduct a long duration test under the given circumstances due constantly tripping the A.C. breaker, I chose the worse case scenario. In the United States, standard A.C. receptacles offer 20-A and 15-A circuits under a 120-volt line source.

10 cycles is more taxing to an amplifier than say 20 cycles so I chose 10 cycles to see how the amplifier would react under the given scenario since, I knew I was going to trip the A.C. Breaker once again.

Coincidently, I tried the same test on a Peavey CS 900 (Pre-dates CS 1000) and the amplifier ramped in to protect mode before the DDT lights illuminated. Although the amplifier had no problem meeting 42.5 volt rating @ 20 cycles, it could not achieve higher than 36 volts when faced with a 10 cycle sine wave.

Even if there is a slight deviation in resistance, the IPR2 7500 offered 2450 – 2560 watts at 10 cycles per second with DDT Active before tripping the A.C. Breaker. That wattage falls within the 1 kHz rating stated by Peavey at 4 ohms.

It is far easier to achieve the maximum output voltage at 1 kHz than the advertised 20 – 20,000 cycles per second full bandwidth rating. The Peavey IPR2 7500 delivered 2450-2560 watts one octave below 20 cycles.

The amplifier also did not cut back like many of these nowadays amplifiers toting these astronomical burst ratings that are 20 milliseconds or less. It kept pulling current until the A.C. Breaker tripped.

DDT cannot be disabled so I would imagine (based on owning a dozen Peavey Amplifiers) the DDT in the IPR2 7500 would react in the same manner as the older models. If I had the resistors to test it, I would. However, that is not something very important to me. I will be using five IPR2 7500 amplifiers as a team. So clipping the amplifiers will be the least of my worries.

Best Regards,

-------------
Elliot Thompson

Posted By: john lutz
Date Posted: 22 June 2015 at 4:45pm
Still happy with the IPR2 7500s ?

Date Posted: 22 June 2015 at 6:14pm
Originally posted by john lutz john lutz wrote:

No complaints thus far. I own six IPR2 7500 amplifiers at the moment and, use them with six Macro-Tech 5000vz amplifiers from 100 Hz down. I should have a total of ten IPR2 7500s by the end of 2015.

Best Regards, 

-------------
Elliot Thompson

Posted By: kedwardsleisure
Date Posted: 22 June 2015 at 6:46pm
a 7500 in the UK is just over 2000 dollars

-------------
Kevin

North Staffordshire

Date Posted: 22 June 2015 at 8:07pm
Originally posted by kedwardsleisure kedwardsleisure wrote:

a 7500 in the UK is just over 2000 dollars

In the States the IPR2 7500 is no greater than £500.00 quid.

Best Regards,

-------------
Elliot Thompson

Posted By: Timebomb
Date Posted: 22 June 2015 at 8:53pm
Was wondering if the price difference might change and be closer to the US price now Peavey have different distribution...?

-------------
James Secker          facebook.com/soundgearuk
James@soundgear.co.uk               www.soundgear.co.uk

Posted By: Dub Specialist Sound
Date Posted: 22 June 2015 at 8:55pm
WHAT why the price diff of that much come on ...

-------------
Musical Roots Reggae Vibration is Life! for music is sound...sound is vibration...vibration is energy... and energy begets life. Therein lies my passion!...MUSIC IS LIFE...

Posted By: nickyburnell
Date Posted: 23 June 2015 at 7:27am
I get the impression they don't want it here. Anything to do with 240v or maybe ReggaeLOL

-------------
It's everything, not everythink!

Date Posted: 23 June 2015 at 8:11am
Originally posted by nickyburnell nickyburnell wrote:

I get the impression they don't want it here. Anything to do with 240v or maybe ReggaeLOL

Well Peavey is a Rock & Roll Company so I would imagine Rock is the culprit. LOL

It may have something to do with this....

http://www.psneurope.com/peavey-uk-close-rd-centre-remain-operating/" rel="nofollow - http://www.psneurope.com/peavey-uk-close-rd-centre-remain-operating/

Best Regards, 

-------------
Elliot Thompson

Date Posted: 30 July 2015 at 2:43pm

No complaints thus far. I own six IPR2 7500 amplifiers at the moment and, use them with six Macro-Tech 5000vz amplifiers from 100 Hz down. I should have a total of ten IPR2 7500s by the end of 2015.

Best Regards, 

What are you seeing as the typical noise floor for the IPR2 7500s ?  I have a low level, mid frequency oscilating whine emitting out of channel A.  B is virtually silent.  This with no input connected.  Did not notice it til I bent down in front of a speaker recently.

Also, the blue signal present lights - are yours fast attack/release?  Mine are very slow attack/release, so it lets me know there is a signal but not any clue to the dynamics of it (as seems typical of most such lights).

thanks.

Date Posted: 30 July 2015 at 3:42pm

Best Regards, 

What are you seeing as the typical noise floor for the IPR2 7500s ?  I have a low level, mid frequency oscilating whine emitting out of channel A.  B is virtually silent.  This with no input connected.  Did not notice it til I bent down in front of a speaker recently.

That may stem from bad cabling. Try different XLR Cable. I don't have such issues.

Also, the blue signal present lights - are yours fast attack/release?  Mine are very slow attack/release, so it lets me know there is a signal but not any clue to the dynamics of it (as seems typical of most such lights).

thanks.

The light will illuminate brighter as the signal gets stronger however it is just one light and will not offer the response of a meter bridge. It offers a slow release time because... it is one light. Think of it as the Crown Macro-Tech IOC indicators with an additional Clip Light residing on top.

Best Regards,

-------------
Elliot Thompson

Date Posted: 30 July 2015 at 5:15pm

[/QUOTE]

[/quote]

That may stem from bad cabling. Try different XLR Cable. I don't have such issues.

[/QUOTE]

hmmmm, disconected all inputs to amp.  amp is outputing noise on ch A.

Date Posted: 30 July 2015 at 5:23pm

That is what warranties are for! If you bought it from an authorised dealer the shop will give you another one without a question. You have a 5 year warranty, take full advantage of it. No need to play Mr. Fix It on a brand new amplifier.  

Best Regards,

-------------
Elliot Thompson

Posted By: mini-mad
Date Posted: 30 July 2015 at 5:51pm
The most saine and logical responce to a question i think iv ever seen on here!!!!

Well worded ET.

-------------
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.

Date Posted: 30 July 2015 at 6:25pm

That is what warranties are for! If you bought it from an authorised dealer the shop will give you another one without a question. You have a 5 year warranty, take full advantage of it. No need to play Mr. Fix It on a brand new amplifier.  

Best Regards,

I only asked  about noise to see if it was a normal "feature" of these budget amps.  I figure that because you have a bunch - you would know.

Warrenty yes, absolutly, will try that yet again.    Saddly this amp has been to Peavey twice now for other issues and this time comes back to me with noise in ch A.

Thanks for input,
Take care.

Date Posted: 30 July 2015 at 7:34pm

Best Regards,

I only asked  about noise to see if it was a normal "feature" of these budget amps.  I figure that because you have a bunch - you would know.

Warrenty yes, absolutly, will try that yet again.    Saddly this amp has been to Peavey twice now for other issues and this time comes back to me with noise in ch A.

Thanks for input,
Take care.

I am sorry but, something does not add up here.

Surely, if your amplifier has had a barrage of issues in which, the amplifier had to be repaired multiple times from Peavey’s service centre, with the same problem existing once the amplifier arrived home repaired, why did you not requests for a brand new amplifier from Peavey?

As a matter of fact, why not just post your problem on the Peavey Forum and bring it to Marty McCann’s attention?

I find it peculiar asking a question “Still happy with the IPR2 7500s ?” on June 22, of 2015 and, then posing an issue on July 30, 2015 as if you just bought IPR2 7500 brand new in the box, uncertain on how the amplifier should operate then, stating “Saddly this amp has been to Peavey twice now for other issues and this time comes back to me with noise in ch A.” 

Why not just state what you were encountering a month ago when you asked “Still happy with the IPR2 7500s?” If this lapse approach is how you posed your amplifier problems to Peavey, it may be the reason why your issues are not resolved. 

My IPR2 7500 amplifiers are not malfunctioning so, I would suggest posting your issues on the Peavey Forum where you can get answers directly from Marty McCann.

Best Regards,

-------------
Elliot Thompson

Date Posted: 30 July 2015 at 8:25pm

Best Regards,

Thanks for input,
Take care.

I am sorry but, something does not add up here.

Surely, if your amplifier has had a barrage of issues in which, the amplifier had to be repaired multiple times from Peavey’s service centre, with the same problem existing once the amplifier arrived home repaired, why did you not requests for a brand new amplifier from Peavey?

As a matter of fact, why not just post your problem on the Peavey Forum and bring it to Marty McCann’s attention?

I find it peculiar asking a question “Still happy with the IPR2 7500s ?” on June 22, of 2015 and, then posing an issue on July 30, 2015 as if you just bought IPR2 7500 brand new in the box, uncertain on how the amplifier should operate then, stating “Saddly this amp has been to Peavey twice now for other issues and this time comes back to me with noise in ch A.” 

Why not just state what you were encountering a month ago when you asked “Still happy with the IPR2 7500s?” If this lapse approach is how you posed your amplifier problems to Peavey, it may be the reason why your issues are not resolved. 

My IPR2 7500 amplifiers are not malfunctioning so, I would suggest posting your issues on the Peavey Forum where you can get answers directly from Marty McCann.

Best Regards,

Math is good – everything adds up. This has been a slow motion problem due to shipping and turn around time issues.

Not kidding with multiple issues. And I did request new amp – was given a not fully repaired one instead.

I thought Mr. McCann no longer worked for Peavey? I posted here specifically to get input from you – due to the seemingly expert level of info you have on this model.

I asked if you were happy as a gentle way to find out if there were “issues” with the IPR2 or if my situation was a fluke without making a bunch of unfounded claims. Trying to get more data is all – not set off a storm.

My question on June 22 posed nothing. The amp was purchased new in box from authorized dealer about 18 months ago. When I got it back this last time in addition to the noise it looked like the running lights were different – from what I could remember -so I asked. I'm not pretending anything.

There is no lapse approach – I first had one problem, then another, then another. Peavey is well aware and it has been a joke getting this resolved.

Yet – I do not fly into rant, just try to see if what I am seeing is a real issue, as in very low level noise in one channel – sluggish lights, etc.

...will seek elsewhere
thanks,
peace out.

Date Posted: 31 July 2015 at 2:13am

Quote john lutz wrote:

Math is good – everything adds up. This has been a slow motion problem due to shipping and turn around time issues.

Not kidding with multiple issues. And I did request new amp – was given a not fully repaired one instead.

And you did not complain about it to Peavey?

Quote john lutz wrote:

I thought Mr. McCann no longer worked for Peavey? I posted here specifically to get input from you – due to the seemingly expert level of info you have on this model.

I do not work for Peavey. When a product is malfunctioning you contact the manufacture. That is what the company wants their customers to do if there is a problem. I am actually a member of the Peavey Forum so you could have posed your issue over there and received more user experiences in regards to what you are experiencing on your IPR2 is happening to other IPR2 users.

Marty McCann is an active member on the Peavey Forum. He answered a question in regards to the IPR2 7500 I posted on the Peavey Forum promptly. This is why I recommend posing your issues on the Peavey Forum. The Peavey forum offers qualified Peavey personal that can answer questions when an issue arise.

Quote john lutz wrote:

I asked if you were happy as a gentle way to find out if there were “issues” with the IPR2 or if my situation was a fluke without making a bunch of unfounded claims. Trying to get more data is all – not set off a storm.

If you’re amplifier was malfunctioning in which you stated you sent it to Peavey to get it repaired and wanted to know if I faced the same issues, you could have said so within the first post. Your gentle way of trying to find out created lack of information which left the impression you had no on hands experience using the amplifier.   

This leads to your quote below…

Quote john lutz wrote:

My question on June 22 posed nothing. The amp was purchased new in box from authorized dealer about 18 months ago. When I got it back this last time in addition to the noise it looked like the running lights were different – from what I could remember -so I asked. I'm not pretending anything.

If you had said this in your first post I would have given you a detailed response within my first reply. In our business we cannot beat around the bush. If an audio device is malfunctioning, we need to be directly to the point if we are seeking guidance.   

There is no lapse approach – I first had one problem, then another, then another. Peavey is well aware and it has been a joke getting this resolved.

Yet – I do not fly into rant, just try to see if what I am seeing is a real issue, as in very low level noise in one channel – sluggish lights, etc.

...will seek elsewhere
thanks,
peace out.

Possibly you should have made a rant to Peavey for them to rectify the problem. This why, I said you have a lapse approach. Taking things in stride is not always the best way to manage a problem especially in the Professional Audio Business.

Best Regards,

-------------
Elliot Thompson

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2023 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net