Print Page | Close Window

PKN XE6000 AMP?

Printed From: Speakerplans.com
Category: General
Forum Name: Amp Forum
Forum Description: The 'Stopping Jake Fielder moaning constantly' forum description...
URL: https://forum.speakerplans.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=94183
Printed Date: 19 April 2024 at 1:25am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: PKN XE6000 AMP?
Posted By: SparkzDesigns
Subject: PKN XE6000 AMP?
Date Posted: 18 December 2015 at 1:08am
Has anyone had any experience with these amps powering subs or top+mid and if so what rating would you give them out of 10 as im looking to purchase a couple but iv never had a go with them

Also how do they stand against the Lab Gruppen FP6400's ?

-------------
William Smith
M: 07429 548327
E: showtimeacoustics@gmail.com
W: facebook.com/ShowTimeAcoustics

Replies:
Posted By: ceharden
Date Posted: 18 December 2015 at 1:14am
I would probably say PKN for Sub and Lab for Mid-Top

Posted By: MarjanM
Date Posted: 18 December 2015 at 1:16am
To me PKN sounds better on tops then fp6400. On subs too. 
fp14000 is another beast.

-------------
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713

Date Posted: 18 December 2015 at 1:21am
@ceharden
I was Thinking That would be The Outcome Wink

-------------
William Smith

Date Posted: 18 December 2015 at 1:26am
Originally posted by MarjanM MarjanM wrote:

To me PKN sounds better on tops then fp6400. On subs too. 
fp14000 is another beast.

I Would love to get an FP14000 However Its out of my league money wise and as im just starting out (Learning From A Great Mentor #CSGWink) i wanna take my steps slowly rather then jumping in but thanks for your opinion i appreciate it!

-------------
William Smith

Date Posted: 18 December 2015 at 2:12am
I have them both. So that is my first hand experience.

-------------
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com

Posted By: Spartan Audio
Date Posted: 19 December 2015 at 4:37pm
PKN sound great on tops. It's against the common sense don't use Class D on anything above 1K, but hey - the proof is in the pudding. I just happen to be selling 5... xe6000

-------------
http://www.spartanaudio.co.uk

Posted By: Shaun
Date Posted: 20 December 2015 at 6:28am
I have 3 PKN XE6000, for me pefect, have not used any other amps so cant compare, but have never run out of head room

i also use XE2500 for HF duties on my 3 way tops and for stage monitors, only minus is i have an XE4000 which has a problem with an internal temp sensor, have contacted PKN to see i can re-calibrate this my self or if i need to send it back

-------------
No, it is not a line array it is some well stacked boxes...............

Posted By: U.Viktor
Date Posted: 20 December 2015 at 10:29am
Originally posted by SparkzDesigns SparkzDesigns wrote:

Has anyone had any experience with these amps powering subs or top+mid and if so what rating would you give them out of 10 as im looking to purchase a couple but iv never had a go with them

Also how do they stand against the Lab Gruppen FP6400's ?

The PKN XD4000 is similar in output capabilities to the FP6400, both has 155Vp output as I remember..
The XD6000 or XE6000 is far larger.

Please keep in mind that the FP6400 is far older technology by 10+years or so,  PKN (even the XD) is much more modern amplifier with PFC power supply and top-level limiters. The overall conversion efficiency of the PKN is also better since it has no linear post-regulators like the FP.

The sound character of the PKN is better in my aspects and it is not only due 500KS sample rate.

Date Posted: 20 December 2015 at 7:12pm
simplesoundlight DOT com / sound
is my new website that i am still building (any criticism is welcome on the sites quality )
the address will take you to the page of the speakers that the amp will be running i was thinking of putting 1 channel for top/mid & 1 channel for bass

-------------
William Smith

Date Posted: 20 December 2015 at 7:13pm
Originally posted by Spartan Audio Spartan Audio wrote:

PKN sound great on tops. It's against the common sense don't use Class D on anything above 1K, but hey - the proof is in the pudding. I just happen to be selling 5... xe6000

Hi could you PM me the price please
Thanks William

-------------
William Smith

Posted By: discosucks
Date Posted: 22 December 2015 at 2:49pm
Iv a/b a pkn6000 vs matrix on tops and the matrix was miles better .

same with my lab 1600's they were far better but the pkn took care of bass/sub really well . 

Posted By: toastyghost
Date Posted: 22 December 2015 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by Shaun Shaun wrote:

I have 3 PKN XE6000, for me pefect, have not used any other amps so cant compare, but have never run out of head room

i also use XE2500 for HF duties on my 3 way tops and for stage monitors, only minus is i have an XE4000 which has a problem with an internal temp sensor, have contacted PKN to see i can re-calibrate this my self or if i need to send it back

Had to sort 3x XE6000 with the same issue a while back, amps had to go to Hungary and the entire repair process took over three months. At our expense.

Posted By: Andy Kos
Date Posted: 22 December 2015 at 11:54pm
If the temp sensor is jumping around suggesting its hot when its not, this is an easy fix that can be done in the UK.

There is 1uf surface mount capacitor on the circuit board right next to a hole in the circuit board where the wires go to the temp sensor. Slight stresses on the board can cause the capacitor to fracture. 

We replaced them with a small tantalum bead capacitor (instead of surface mount) and they work fine.

It take about 30 seconds to replace the capacitor, and about 30-40 mins to disassemble and reasssemble the amp as there are so many damn screws.

-------------
just a guy with a warehouse and a few speakers... www.bluearan.co.uk

Date Posted: 23 December 2015 at 12:21am
That seems to be a very common failure. I had 3 or 4 amps with the same problem.

-------------
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com

Posted By: bass*en*mass
Date Posted: 23 December 2015 at 12:23am
is that the only common failure?

Posted By: csg
Date Posted: 23 December 2015 at 12:24am
i had 6 with the same issue.

good amps with out a doubt, but in this day and age the lack of on board dsp / digital inputs makes it very old fashioned.

-------------
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”

Date Posted: 23 December 2015 at 12:36am
Originally posted by bass*en*mass bass*en*mass wrote:

is that the only common failure?

I'm aware of two 'common' issues.

1. The 1uF capacitor on the temp sensor circuit. Fails due to mechanical stress on PCB. I'm told this has been/will be resolved on all future amplifiers as they are aware of the problem.

2. Soft start resistors. Not sure if this was a batch issue, but we had a number of amplifiers with failed soft start resistors. Replace with recommended alternative and problem solved.

Apart from the above 2 issues, which are in reality very simple fixes,  and can be done by anyone with reasonable soldering skills, I can only recall one faulty PKN amplifier which has had to go back to Hungary for repair - I believe it may have been a faulty user nore than a faulty amplifier though.

-------------

Date Posted: 23 December 2015 at 1:03am
I have one that is possessed. Developed all sort of problems. PSU blow up as last issue.
All the rest are fine beside some that had that temperature sensor capacitor replaced.

-------------
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com

Posted By: cravings
Date Posted: 23 December 2015 at 2:09am
are these temp etc faults on xe or xd or both?

i had 2 xd2500 separately fail for the same reason a few years ago.. symptom was the amp appeared dead, nothing happened on power on. irish supplier at the time (sol) was super helpful and got them dealt with quickly. the explanation i was given was some smt caps broken due to physical stress on the board..

haven't had an issue since then (5 years maybe?) and have used the amps many many times since.

Date Posted: 23 December 2015 at 2:29pm
Yeah both have the same problem.

-------------
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com

Date Posted: 23 December 2015 at 2:42pm
Ive seen amps with much, much worse problems happening much, much more often. All in all, the issues I have experienced with PKN are very minor, and although irritating, they are not that serious.

The temp sensor capacitor they are aware of, so Im sure this will get engineered out if it hasnt already been.

-------------

Date Posted: 23 December 2015 at 2:46pm
I reported it to them around 3 years back, that's quite a long time to fix such a minor issue.

No UK distribution either at the time and they wouldn't even entertain us doing the fix ourselves.

Date Posted: 23 December 2015 at 3:13pm
They are great amps. i can not complain a single bit. But their support is not so great.
They are not willing to send me the schematics for the PSU. 
They dont understand that customers very often dont want to send the amp 1500km away to be serviced and wait 3 months to get it back.

-------------
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com

Date Posted: 23 December 2015 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

I reported it to them around 3 years back, that's quite a long time to fix such a minor issue.

No UK distribution either at the time and they wouldn't even entertain us doing the fix ourselves.

I think this ties in with the time distribution switched from Church Sound to us, we've fixed several of these in the UK over the last few years.

-------------

Posted By: MessyM2k8
Date Posted: 23 December 2015 at 5:01pm
I'm not sure whats going on, i sent them an amp back about 2 years ago around Christmas time needed it before New Years Eve i had it back within 2 weeks at very little cost..

Posted By: dj jammin
Date Posted: 23 December 2015 at 5:04pm
It seems they must put out a nearly finished product and let the end users become the quality control department. Using the paying customer to discover the design faults rather than proper quality control and testing before going to market. 

I take it all PKN amps being sold in the UK now are guaranteed to be free of these known defects?

-------------
Reverence Sound system

Date Posted: 23 December 2015 at 5:07pm
[/QUOTE]

Had to sort 3x XE6000 with the same issue a while back, amps had to go to Hungary and the entire repair process took over three months. At our expense.[/QUOTE]

I bet that wasn't cheap either.. 

-------------
Reverence Sound system

Date Posted: 23 December 2015 at 5:32pm
Well no, because they also charged for the repair work…

Date Posted: 23 December 2015 at 5:49pm
All this wont stop me from getting more of them when i need them. I simply love them.

-------------
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com

Date Posted: 23 December 2015 at 6:02pm
We have similar or better reliability record of our PKN XE racks like our Powersoft K racks in long term.

Repairs here took just few days and after the warranty period are !VERY! cheap (typically less than 30EUR).
I do not know how far is England :-) but my Austrian friends got back their serviced amp on the same week..

Date Posted: 23 December 2015 at 6:09pm
Viktor, i am in Macedonia. Shipping and papers cost alone is close to 200 euro to ship the amp.
I have no intentions of making carriers rich. 

-------------
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com

Date Posted: 23 December 2015 at 7:22pm
I guess if you buying an amp made in another country it needs to be bullet proof reliable or they need service dept in the country of sale, otherwise its quickly going to become a very expensive amp soon as anything goes wrong..

-------------
Reverence Sound system

Date Posted: 23 December 2015 at 7:41pm
always wondered about this sort of business behaviour tbh.
if a manufacturer is confident about his QC and design leading to reliable products, at any given price to cover costs long therm, i see no point in charging the customer for any fault within warranty time?!
If the product shows any issues that are not due to misuse/user error, the manufacturer should make sure to solve the issue fully on his account, no?

(if you buy a new car with warranty you could even sue/claim for you losses due to faults..)

Date Posted: 23 December 2015 at 8:08pm

I think you were unlucky, and got caught between distributors.

Any PKN we supply we would endeavour to carry out basic repairs like this in the UK.
Within the first year it would be at no charge to the customer, and in the second year with extended warranty, we would still do the repair work for free, the only cost to the customer would be to return the amp to us, which is around £10 depending on what courier you use. We would cover return delivery charge. 

We have only ever had to return 2 amplifiers to hungary which we havent been able to repair in the UK.

-------------

Date Posted: 23 December 2015 at 8:25pm
Clap

Date Posted: 23 December 2015 at 9:16pm
Originally posted by Andy Kos Andy Kos wrote:

Any PKN we supply we would endeavour to carry out basic repairs like this in the UK.
Within the first year it would be at no charge to the customer, and in the second year with extended warranty, we would still do the repair work for free, the only cost to the customer would be to return the amp to us, which is around £10 depending on what courier you use. We would cover return delivery charge. 

We have only ever had to return 2 amplifiers to hungary which we havent been able to repair in the UK.

That's a much fairer situation now sure, but frankly the fact that at the time they knew they had no distribution in the UK any more means they should have bent over backwards to help customers, no?

What was worse is that they went so far as to quite brutally attack their previous distributor and suggest we make them sort out the problem at first, even though said distributor no longer had rights and was apparently dropped due to not having good after sales service. The general attitude of not really wanting to offer help or even listening to the diagnostic process we had undertaken, then the complete lack of updates on repair progress or even confirmation units had arrived safely unless I called/emailed every few days, and then a bill for a third of the original cost of the amp per unit on top kind of put me off them for life.

Ironically, before that we were considering putting in a fairly sizeable order but they also said that at the time they couldn't physically supply that amount within the same trading year!

Anyway, each to their own and all that, they do sound nice but to me they don't feel like they have any balls - both on sub and in backing up the products

Posted By: tv00
Date Posted: 23 December 2015 at 9:47pm

Had to sort 3x XE6000 with the same issue a while back, amps had to go to Hungary and the entire repair process took over three months. At our expense.

This doesn't seem to fit the U. Victor story about quick service?

I hope PKN will make it as a brand, SMRT amps went down, I think I'll wait another few years:-)
Probably buy some lab 20000Q

What is it about Labs can't do sub? Is PKN better?
I think My FP13000 does a fair job!

-------------
www.facebook.com/babysoundsystem

Date Posted: 23 December 2015 at 10:49pm

That's a much fairer situation now sure, but frankly the fact that at the time they knew they had no distribution in the UK any more means they should have bent over backwards to help customers, no?

What was worse is that they went so far as to quite brutally attack their previous distributor and suggest we make them sort out the problem at first, even though said distributor no longer had rights and was apparently dropped due to not having good after sales service. The general attitude of not really wanting to offer help or even listening to the diagnostic process we had undertaken, then the complete lack of updates on repair progress or even confirmation units had arrived safely unless I called/emailed every few days, and then a bill for a third of the original cost of the amp per unit on top kind of put me off them for life.

Ironically, before that we were considering putting in a fairly sizeable order but they also said that at the time they couldn't physically supply that amount within the same trading year!

Anyway, each to their own and all that, they do sound nice but to me they don't feel like they have any balls - both on sub and in backing up the products

Thats fair enough, I can understand your point of view, and I'm acutely aware that one bad experience is enough to lose a customer permanently, so I'm not going to try to change your mind.

I dont know the exact details of what did or didnt happen previously, but the gap for the changeover was only a few months, basically long enough for us to take a look and decide if this was appropriate for us or not. It does seem that this was a case of bad luck on timing.

I do agree however that they should probably have made a little more effort to try to help you, but hopefully this is an issue that wont happen again. Certainly this isnt something Ive experienced, they have on the whole been quite helpful with the issues we did have, even going as far as to take photos of the boards and mark the capacitor on the board that needed replacing.

The shipping cost back to Hungary though, is an issue. Where they are trying to keep the amplifiers competitively priced I would imagine they cant afford to absorb the shipping costs, and this does tend to make any warranty issue that cant be sorted in the UK, something of a problem.

Should you get any more issues in the future, we are more than happy to help.

-------------

Date Posted: 24 December 2015 at 12:52am
A suggestion from a good friend of mine tells me  i should go with a Powersoft M50 4 Channel Amp Instead
but thanks everyone for your input it is highly appreciated

Thanks AgainWink

-------------
William Smith

Date Posted: 24 December 2015 at 9:16am

If the temp sensor is jumping around suggesting its hot when its not, this is an easy fix that can be done in the UK.

There is 1uf surface mount capacitor on the circuit board right next to a hole in the circuit board where the wires go to the temp sensor. Slight stresses on the board can cause the capacitor to fracture. 

We replaced them with a small tantalum bead capacitor (instead of surface mount) and they work fine.

It take about 30 seconds to replace the capacitor, and about 30-40 mins to disassemble and reasssemble the amp as there are so many damn screws.

We have not had such temperature error causing capacitor problem despite frequently touring with several racks loaded full of PKN in the last 6-7years.

The key word is "racks loaded" I know because I have sold ~4 of the used XE to an amateur band.. and they have experienced that problem(!) with one of their amp.
They have used the amps "as is" without proper rack chambers, sometimes dropping them, etc.. excessive mechanical forces was the reason of the fault. It was obvious just saw the bended metal housing of the amps too..

We have never put or transport any of our equipment without proper case or mounting. So therefore it we probably experiences far less problems than average non professional guys. ;_)

I have uploaded the picture what I obtained from the PKN guys :

So it is a 0.1EUR surface-mounted component( 1uF 25V X7R) underneath the amplifier side, and we have replaced it by a small "legged-type" of cap in 10 minutes then the problem has gone. It is still difficult to imagine for me what need to do with the amp to break this component!

Date Posted: 24 December 2015 at 11:34am
Originally posted by U.Viktor U.Viktor wrote:

So it is a 0.1EUR surface-mounted component( 1uF 25V X7R) underneath the amplifier side, and we have replaced it by a small "legged-type" of cap in 10 minutes then the problem has gone. It is still difficult to imagine for me what need to do with the amp to break this component!

If you look where the capacitor is located, it is between 2 holes on the PCB, that short section of PCB will be more prone to mechanical stresses and vibrations than any other part of the PCB.

You are correct in that GOOD racks, with rear support rails, and ideally shock-mounted racks between the inner sleeve and outer sleeve are the best solution - but not everyone can afford the expense (although I agree usually worth it in the long run)

If you travel a lot, the vibration from a diesel engine will find its way to every component, and if that part of the PCB can vibrate too much, there is a chance of failure.

Ive not had this happen to ANY other component on a PKN board, so my conclusion is that it must be the location of this component - right next to  two wires which can vibrate...

-------------

Posted By: Shaun
Date Posted: 24 December 2015 at 11:54am

If you look where the capacitor is located, it is between 2 holes on the PCB, that short section of PCB will be more prone to mechanical stresses and vibrations than any other part of the PCB.

You are correct in that GOOD racks, with rear support rails, and ideally shock-mounted racks between the inner sleeve and outer sleeve are the best solution - but not everyone can afford the expense (although I agree usually worth it in the long run)

If you travel a lot, the vibration from a diesel engine will find its way to every component, and if that part of the PCB can vibrate too much, there is a chance of failure.

Ive not had this happen to ANY other component on a PKN board, so my conclusion is that it must be the location of this component - right next to  two wires which can vibrate...
Hi Andy,

small hi jack, i have an XE4000 with this problem, i am overseas at present so would like to send to you for this mod early next year. the amp was stored for about a year and i thought i would use it and next thing the temp is jumping all over the place, 

-------------
No, it is not a line array it is some well stacked boxes...............

Date Posted: 24 December 2015 at 12:09pm
how does this problem present? what does the user see?

Date Posted: 24 December 2015 at 12:11pm
From memory, on the XE range the temperature displayed will jump up and down randomly. It'll be happily showing 20 degrees, and then suddenly jump up and show 50- 70 degrees.

On the XD series, I believe the temperature warning light comes on, even though the unit isn't warm.

-------------

Date Posted: 24 December 2015 at 12:17pm
ok. i've never noticed the temp light on any of my XD amps. in winter, they do cycle through a high speed fan routine a few times before they power on.. but they've always done that and i figured it's by design.

Date Posted: 24 December 2015 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by cravings cravings wrote:

ok. i've never noticed the temp light on any of my XD amps. in winter, they do cycle through a high speed fan routine a few times before they power on.. but they've always done that and i figured it's by design.

I'm sure you are fine then.

-------------

Posted By: LeruSound
Date Posted: 04 January 2016 at 5:26pm
Hi guys, i would not start annoying you, but i was going to buy an XD 6000 in order to drive 4x 1700 W Drivers. I thought PKN XD 6000 could have been the best choice, unless i discoverd that it could really handle more or less 2700 W @ 4Ohm on signle sinewave tuned 40 Hz. This sound to me so bad and i am now really confused about my choice. I would like to buy an amp that could handle them easly, it could be good also 1500 W per driver for a powerfull result, but 2700 W is quite far from the declared 3650 W. Probably that 2700 W on single tone are not so far from the maximum "pressure feeling" i would like to get, and i will drive them without the fear of burn any VC, but in the other hand it will never drive my subs as them are supposed to be driven. Any advice about this situation? I play dub and digital dub, i need to be as heavy as possible in basslines, so i would like to have the possibility to go heavy on them. (i wrote here because there are many topics about pkn amps, maybe enough)

Date Posted: 04 January 2016 at 5:55pm
If you are in the uk perhaps look at the larger SAE units, or if you have a decent budget perhaps a powersoft etc

-------------
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”

Date Posted: 04 January 2016 at 7:10pm
In really i am from italy, and powersofts are a little out of budget for me. 
In order to respect the topic, any idea about this XD6000 on a 3400 W "load"?

Date Posted: 04 January 2016 at 7:26pm
XD6000 performs perfectly well on bass for me. PKN's strong point is that the sound is very precise, with very high quality. They do struggle a little on heavy bass, but in reality most amps do in one way or another, the amps that seem to give more heavy bass usually do so because their limiters are not so tight and allow more clipping and a more distorted sound.

Most Class D amplifiers are tending to use similar power ratings to PKN, which is a pulse power rating. This power rating works well for live music where there are high dynamics, as the PKN amplifier can delivery the very high demand for short peaks of power, and it does this without clipping and distorting. The Pulse rating of the XD6000 is 3650W into 4 ohms, in reality what you can use of this will be a little lower.

For a comparative example, the XD4000 was put under 'test' - it's 'rated' power is 2100W per channel, and in tests around 1900W was measured.

http://www.abeltronics.co.uk/amptesting.php?z=PKN_Controls_XD4000

I would expect the XD6000 to be similar.

-------------

Date Posted: 04 January 2016 at 7:29pm
Why dont you go for the XD10000 then? Plenty of power.

-------------
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com

Date Posted: 04 January 2016 at 7:36pm
Yeah, i'm not completaly scared about losses of power, but for example, i would liek to campare it to an FFA 10000. I heard the same set up with FFA 10000, same drivers and same subs at full power. It is impressive. So i wanted to get the same feeling or something just a little heavier. I was so excited about try theese PKN but now i'm disapponted cause of this power story..

Date Posted: 04 January 2016 at 7:38pm

Never heard about an XD10000, if you mean XE10000, i prefeer for personal choice to stay without DSP.

Date Posted: 04 January 2016 at 7:59pm
Originally posted by LeruSound LeruSound wrote:

Yeah, i'm not completaly scared about losses of power, but for example, i would liek to campare it to an FFA 10000. I heard the same set up with FFA 10000, same drivers and same subs at full power. It is impressive. So i wanted to get the same feeling or something just a little heavier. I was so excited about try theese PKN but now i'm disapponted cause of this power story..

FFA1000 is rated at 3000W into 4 ohms, and the PKN XD6000 is rated at 3650W into 4 ohms.

If you were happy with the FFA, then I expect you will be happy with the PKN.

Best option is to try to arrange a demo with someone in your area.

-------------

Date Posted: 04 January 2016 at 8:00pm
If you 1700w drivers are good for 1700w in your cabs, then i would be wanting an amp that can deliver a 3400w peak to each driver, the 6000 will not do that. The 10000 may get closer / close enough, its not an amp i know however. 
i do however like a lot of headroom...and it is an expensive habit

-------------

Date Posted: 04 January 2016 at 8:01pm
Originally posted by LeruSound LeruSound wrote:

In really i am from italy, and powersofts are a little out of budget for me. 
In order to respect the topic, any idea about this XD6000 on a 3400 W "load"?

We driving for example Martin WS218x subs (now fitted double 18" 1900W/8R) by XD6000 and XE6000. Working very well, accurate response, high sustained output no clipping or phase inaccuracy issues in large arrays (32pcs ++). Two XD6000 loaded on four Ohms per channel still better than single Powersoft K10 on two Ohms. Both in sound quality and SPL..

Date Posted: 04 January 2016 at 8:10pm

Because they are like rocking horse poo.

-------------

Date Posted: 04 January 2016 at 8:26pm

XE10000 is useful if you have over 2000W / 8Ohm load, >4KW / 4Ohm, >6KW /2.6Ohm... It is very, very few large speakers what have such real power capacity. Most of the speakers melted above 6-800W thermal power. Do not believe their marketing crap. 2000W / 8Ohm speakers rated with pretty narrow duty cycles...Just read the physics behind AES ratings! So the XE6000 is ok for almost anything.

Date Posted: 04 January 2016 at 8:36pm
Yes.... 

but we cant get hold of XE10000 or XD10000

-------------

Posted By: Earplug
Date Posted: 06 January 2016 at 11:41am

XE10000 is useful if you have over 2000W / 8Ohm load, >4KW / 4Ohm, >6KW /2.6Ohm... It is very, very few large speakers what have such real power capacity. Most of the speakers melted above 6-800W thermal power. Do not believe their marketing crap. 2000W / 8Ohm speakers rated with pretty narrow duty cycles...Just read the physics behind AES ratings! So the XE6000 is ok for almost anything.

+1

Most speaker power specs are like amp power specs we get these days - narrow pulsed waves. Nothing to do with the full range RMS specs we used to get.

-------------
Earplugs Are For Wimps!

Date Posted: 06 January 2016 at 12:07pm
What is music though? Is it perhaps a peak based medium?

Date Posted: 06 January 2016 at 12:21pm
Yes, but quoting pulsed specs at 1kHz doesn´t tell you how the amp/speaker will work at the bass end, which is where you have the most stress and judging from the posts we get here, is what interests most people. It also causes a lot of confusion, eg the question above.

Trying to make sense of all the inflated specs is a big pita.  Ouch

-------------
Earplugs Are For Wimps!

Date Posted: 06 January 2016 at 2:09pm
Driving 1700w speakers with 1800W amp give you exactly ZERO headroom.
More powerfull amos like the XD/XE10000 are for having the headroom and not to worry of losing the dynamics. Not to push every last watt to the speaker.

-------------
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com

Posted By: snowflake
Date Posted: 06 January 2016 at 2:47pm

More powerfull amos like the XD/XE10000 are for having the headroom and not to worry of losing the dynamics. Not to push every last watt to the speaker.

sorry to be pedantic but headroom is the difference between the average level and the max output of the system. there is no need to put an average of 1700W into a speaker just because it is rated at 1700W and no need to have amps twice the rating of the speakers - if you have plenty of speakers and amps you can still operate with plenty of headroom in the system.

Date Posted: 06 January 2016 at 6:56pm
Originally posted by snowflake snowflake wrote:

sorry to be pedantic but headroom is the difference between the average level and the max output of the system. there is no need to put an average of 1700W into a speaker just because it is rated at 1700W and no need to have amps twice the rating of the speakers - if you have plenty of speakers and amps you can still operate with plenty of headroom in the system.

Yes - and never mind overheating the drivers and losing any benefit of those bigger amps/speakers through thermal compression. The law of diminishing returns. A lot better to take more speakers and drive them within sensible  limits.

http://sound.westhost.com/articles/pwr-vs-eff.htm" rel="nofollow - http://sound.westhost.com/articles/pwr-vs-eff.htm

-------------
Earplugs Are For Wimps!

Date Posted: 06 January 2016 at 8:37pm
Yeah never mind that peak or program ratings have been used and are recommended by nearly everyone. Much better to just fill another truck with more boxes and never ever allow peaks...

Date Posted: 06 January 2016 at 8:48pm
Yeah add 24 more boxes to add 3db to the bass ;-)

-------------
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com

Posted By: tv00
Date Posted: 06 January 2016 at 11:54pm
Talking about my system?
Well I do have 24 boxes, I just thought buying new amps would be a more lightweight solution than building 24 more boxes, and cheaper:-) The primary goal is actúally not +3db, but headroom, stabiltiy & dsp making it easier to use tops / subs separately.

I mean the digam 7000s are ok, and can be expected to deliver around 5000W (total) at 2,6 ohms per channel, a lab20000q can give around the double, 10kw per channelset (2 channels / one side of subs = drives 12 subs = 2 lab20000s needed = 24 subs = +3db :-)

So this is why I keep asking around if the labs are bad for bass or not?
I also considered pkn, but the price is likely to be more than 6000£ for 4 channels at 5000W rms @ 2,67 ohms. 2 lab 20000q are £6000 and can resell at a good price, I doubt pkns can!

Drivers are rated 1500W each, so that's 4500W rms or 9000W program per channel at 3,67 ohms, I think 5000W amp power should be sufficient, no one managed to hit any top LEDs on the digam 7000 running approx 2500W@2,67ohms. Even though that's less than a THIRD of program power.

-------------
www.facebook.com/babysoundsystem

Date Posted: 07 January 2016 at 2:16pm

Yeah never mind that peak or program ratings have been used and are recommended by nearly everyone. Much better to just fill another truck with more boxes and never ever allow peaks...

Yes, tell that to the producers who compress the hell out of everything - and then add a dumb dj to the mix as well and you´re fücked. And btw, how many speakers do you go through each year?  LOL

-------------
Earplugs Are For Wimps!

Date Posted: 07 January 2016 at 2:22pm
Very few actually. Because we do both - provide plenty of rig AND plenty of voltage headroom. Rather than tarring every act, DJ or live, with the same 'you're shit' brush.

It winds me up that people take that attitude, if you hate the source material so much and just can't be arsed doing the best job possible then don't take the business.

Posted By: Spartan Audio
Date Posted: 07 January 2016 at 7:18pm
Cannot remember the last time I blew a speaker. I was probably legally a child I can tell you that. Amp headroom is king. Pile that shit up.

-------------
http://www.spartanaudio.co.uk

Date Posted: 08 January 2016 at 9:59am

Very few actually. Because we do both - provide plenty of rig AND plenty of voltage headroom. Rather than tarring every act, DJ or live, with the same 'you're shit' brush.

It winds me up that people take that attitude, if you hate the source material so much and just can't be arsed doing the best job possible then don't take the business.

Controlling what goes through the system so you´re not blowing speakers every week doesn´t have anything to do with loving or hating the material. I´m a professional. People use me because they know that they´ll get a good service, never mind what´s playing. I do everything from folk festivals to raves, no problem.

I too can´t remember when I last blew a driver. Maybe 10 years ago. But I see plenty of people who come by to get stuff repaired and 90% of the time it´s using too few cabs for the job, or expecting churning bass from a 12" + 1", ie being unrealistic - or believing the inflated specs of the equipment they have.  Ouch

-------------
Earplugs Are For Wimps!

Date Posted: 08 January 2016 at 11:39am
Originally posted by Earplug Earplug wrote:

......believing the inflated specs of the equipment they have. 

So you're saying this little 15" + 1" powered speaker with a 2" voice coil on the 15 made from cheese wont actually give me 800W of thumping bass? damn... gonna have to rethink my master plan....

-------------

Posted By: midas
Date Posted: 09 January 2016 at 7:35pm

......believing the inflated specs of the equipment they have. 

So you're saying this little 15" + 1" powered speaker with a 2" voice coil on the 15 made from cheese wont actually give me 800W of thumping bass? damn... gonna have to rethink my master plan....

No........ go for it... You could call it....wait I have it....erm......um..... Skytec!

-------------
In bass no one can hear you scream!

Posted By: Jimmer
Date Posted: 09 January 2016 at 8:14pm
Skytec is already owned by leading pro audio company I'm afraid...

-------------
Light travels faster than sound....That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!

Posted By: darkmatter
Date Posted: 10 January 2016 at 1:39pm

Yes, tell that to the producers who compress the hell out of everything - and then add a dumb dj to the mix as well and you´re fücked. And btw, how many speakers do you go through each year?  LOL

Insinuating Kyle doesn't run with enough headroom, that put a smile on my face LOL

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 13 April 2018 at 12:00pm
the pictures above appear to have expired - does anyone have the picture of the PCB/component that needs replacing for the temperature issue? and the part number it needs replacing with?

I bought an xe-4000 nice and cheap with this fault, looking to get it going again

cheers

Posted By: Speaker Sol
Date Posted: 14 April 2018 at 12:12am
Have you contacted PKN? 
The few issues i have had, including a temp issue they where very good about fixing .

Some of my XE6000 are now coming on 10 years and still going strong! Great amps.

Date Posted: 14 April 2018 at 8:35am
It's costly to send the amp off to PKN, I believe this mod is only 1 part (replacing SMD) so I'd like to try and get that done myself first

Date Posted: 14 April 2018 at 3:50pm
Its a very small capacitor that you can scrap out and solder a normal cap. 
Unfortunately i am too far away right now to be able to dig the picture of the location and cap value.

-------------
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com

Date Posted: 14 April 2018 at 3:54pm
Turns out it's the very same amp Shaun spoke about previously in this thread! Anyone else have the pic?

Date Posted: 15 April 2018 at 10:02am

It is under the amplifier board, you shall remove and add a small 100nf- 1uF (25V or more) ceramic cap which is not more thick than 2mm.

PS: Do not forget to wait at least 15 minutes after mains cable removed prior disassembling, this amp has 400VDC inside, capacitors charged! It could be very dangerous.

Date Posted: 15 April 2018 at 11:17am
Thanks!

Date Posted: 16 April 2018 at 1:12pm
We managed to find a small tantalum bead capacitor with legs that fits in this space nicely. A touch of glue for stability and the problem is solved permanently.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 April 2018 at 1:41pm
You got a link to the part please Andy?

Date Posted: 16 April 2018 at 2:06pm
Originally posted by freddymendez freddymendez wrote:

You got a link to the part please Andy?

Got them from Maplin, which might be tricky now.

But something like this should do it:

https://www.cricklewoodelectronics.com/470NT35.html" rel="nofollow - https://www.cricklewoodelectronics.com/470NT35.html

-------------

Date Posted: 16 April 2018 at 2:24pm
Cheers Andy.

Have you had a play with temperature calibration? Do PKN have any instructions?

If you go to temp calibration menu and when it says "enter password" press both jog wheels in then up and down on both sides...

Date Posted: 16 April 2018 at 2:32pm
We have put these capacitors into old PKN amps as replacement, there is just 3mm room so therefore the 2.5mm thick component:

https://eu.mouser.com/ProductDetail/TDK/FG11X7R1H105KNT06?qs=sGAEpiMZZMt3KoXD5rJ2N5U4Cys%2fUpTlw6%2fxjRoXxMS%2fMYe1Syt8xQ%3d%3d" rel="nofollow - https://eu.mouser.com/ProductDetail/TDK/FG11X7R1H105KNT06?qs=sGAEpiMZZMt3KoXD5rJ2N5U4Cys%2fUpTlw6%2fxjRoXxMS%2fMYe1Syt8xQ%3d%3d

This problem has been eliminated several years ago. Normally the temperature calibration never needs re-calibration.
We have several 'running in the field' XE4000, 2500 since 2006 without need to touch anything.

Date Posted: 16 April 2018 at 2:43pm
If you put the capacitor 'in the hole' , you have a little bit more than 3mm, as a small capacitor can sit inside the hole between the wires.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 April 2018 at 2:56pm
Thanks. I'd also be interested to know if we can upgrade the firmware of these amps, mine are all mismatched. Perhaps there is a UART exposed somewhere?

Posted By: smitske96
Date Posted: 15 May 2018 at 3:41pm
A little bump! 

At the moment I'm driving my 4 BMS 18S430V2 and 15S330 (with 4554) on two I-tech 4000's.
Per Itech one channel sub, and one mid/high. Now I have no headroom what so all on the subs, and I just need some more power. Ofcourse I could switch one 4000 with a 6000 or maybe even a 8000, but before I make this decision I would like to look at some other options.

-Lab gruppen PLM10000Q (instead of two Itech 4000) yes I know this is not a big step in power, but it has a very nice DSP, and I could use it in bridge with another amp if it needs to go loud.

-2X PKN XE6000 with Xilica XP3060

There are so much options and nice stuff Cry

Date Posted: 15 May 2018 at 11:43pm
iTech is way better on sub duty. Tested them side by side with the 8000 and it spanked the PKN badly.

-------------
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com

Date Posted: 16 May 2018 at 9:02am
better than one xe6000? Maybe.
but not better than two of xe6000.

I can get two of xe10000 for the money of PLM and still 2racks total
+ more headroom!

Date Posted: 16 May 2018 at 9:35am
Maybe also nice to know, my current subs don't do much below 40/45 Hz (so not really subs LOL).
One problem with the I-tech is still reliability, the current ones I have, have been serviced and are now up to spec. Probably something that's not the case with all I-techs.

Date Posted: 16 May 2018 at 11:30am
Or run the two 4000's bridge 4 ohm, but then they are current limited.

Date Posted: 16 May 2018 at 12:14pm

better than one xe6000? Maybe.
but not better than two of xe6000.

I can get two of xe10000 for the money of PLM and still 2racks total
+ more headroom!

That is a very stupid comparison. It might be 7 times cheaper, if it can not do subs as good as the other amp, then whats the point of being cheap?
Two XE6000 will still sound weaker because they dont do subs very well.
Cant speak of the XE10000 because you are the only one that has actually seen it in real life.
For the rest of us, it does not exist. 

-------------
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com

Date Posted: 16 May 2018 at 12:30pm
For same reasons we can reach 130dB++ 'sub SPL' with couple of xe6000 and not a very big array of Martin WSX boxes..

Of course both the pre-processing, drivers and boxes could be very influental. Maybe your boxes was not suitable to push the SPL either preprocessing flawed? Another thing what the xe will really can not do this:

http://www.srgclub.org/images/d_3.jpg" rel="nofollow - http://www.srgclub.org/images/d_3.jpg

Posted By: Speaker Sol
Date Posted: 16 May 2018 at 2:14pm
I really don't get the lack of sub thing. 

I switched from Macrotech 9000i to PKN XE6000, and I found the PKN blew the crown out of the water, hands down no contest. 

I have been running my XE6000s for years and they have never failed to impress. 

I even recently did a AB comparison with a Powersoft K10, including measurements (not calibrated but the same for both).  

In this test while I could detect a slight audible difference between the two amps, I measured no difference in frequency response. To my ears the PKN sounded cleaner, but the slightly rougher sound of the K10 lent it self well to Bass driven music. imo, however this difference was very small.

My results maybe because I don't drive my amps to clip and leave them there all night. Typically I aim to have plenty of head room in my amps and system, maybe the PKNs do start to sag on sub-bass when driven to max for prolonged period? But is this really how you guys choose to run your systems?

Date Posted: 16 May 2018 at 2:23pm
When you have subs capable of high spl at 30Hz, you will hear the difference.
Yes, we have gone trough this topic million times before. PKN is cleaner, more precise, and all that.
Which is exactly why you can hear others "sounding" louder. I even talked with Peter if they can run the limiters a little less conservative and let a bit of distortion pass trough.
It will add to the heaviness of the subs. 
I think that no other D class amp can sound on tops as the XE6000 does on my line array. I simply love it. 
But for subs i chose other amps. 

-------------
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2023 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net