Print Page | Close Window

New outdoor speaker - Soundboks by saturnus

Printed From: Speakerplans.com
Category: General
Forum Name: 12v Powered Systems
Forum Description: From Mini-rigs to ICE, all your low voltage audio needs here...
URL: https://forum.speakerplans.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=94906
Printed Date: 28 March 2024 at 7:57pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: New outdoor speaker - Soundboks by saturnus
Posted By: roopes
Subject: New outdoor speaker - Soundboks by saturnus
Date Posted: 01 March 2016 at 10:48am
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/554939252/soundboks-the-loudest-battery-powered-speaker

What do you guys think about this? I thinks it's amazing i ordered it right away!

Replies:
Posted By: DJ-Dulux
Date Posted: 01 March 2016 at 11:30am
Its not Bipolar, bit surprising and I wonder why, target cost maybe? Looks a great speaker anyway, wonder how it stacks up against the Boominator?

Very tempted to support this, works out around £350 which seems very good value especially considering 2*8Ah LifePo4 batteries included!

Dupe...

-------------
Dupe...

Posted By: roopes
Date Posted: 01 March 2016 at 11:42am
Originally posted by DJ-Dulux DJ-Dulux wrote:

Its not Bipolar, bit surprising and I wonder why, target cost maybe? Looks a great speaker anyway, wonder how it stacks up against the Boominator?

Very tempted to support this, works out around £350 which seems very good value especially considering 2*8Ah LifePo4 batteries included!

Dupe...

I'll make a comparasion against the halfinator when i get the soundboks. 

The price is also including charger and shipping to Europe/US so it almost cost as much as my halfinator

Posted By: Ganon
Date Posted: 01 March 2016 at 12:23pm
Haven't heard the mk2, but the mk1 disapointed me big time, sounded bad and distorted when played max and the tweeters was to loud.
Saturnus wasn't part of the mk1, so the mk2 must be alot better.

Posted By: lost eden
Date Posted: 01 March 2016 at 2:13pm
What sort of 'nightclubs' are they going to that are only 113dB?

Posted By: studio45
Date Posted: 01 March 2016 at 5:18pm
It looks SO well thought-out. The all-in-one electronics board is the bee's knees, and all that metalwork should make it nicely idiot proof. I might have built the wheels into it, but I guess you can put better wheels on a separate trolley.
How's that 119dB max figure measured? At 1m, or at a normal in-context listening distance?

-------------
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA

Posted By: slaz
Date Posted: 01 March 2016 at 5:59pm
I like the bottle-opener and the "turn it up to 11" volume control :-)

-------------
REMEMBER....POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

Posted By: Saturnus
Date Posted: 01 March 2016 at 7:11pm
Originally posted by studio45 studio45 wrote:

How's that 119dB max figure measured? At 1m, or at a normal in-context listening distance?

White noise @1m. Averaged.

In regards to SQ. I'm very happy about it and I think you'll all be pretty impressed as well when you get a chance to hear it.

EDIT: Btw, 119dB is not the max peak. I've measured 130.5dB @1m peak but please take that as a tenuous estimate because it will be highly listening condition dependent.

Posted By: lutkeveld
Date Posted: 01 March 2016 at 7:36pm
Why not bipole? Ease of assembly? Really nice product!

Posted By: bitSmasher
Date Posted: 01 March 2016 at 9:14pm
Aluminium edging, hah! Very "rock n roll"

Date Posted: 02 March 2016 at 12:52am
It turned out to be too hard a sell to be bipolar. It was simply not possible to convince people that the speakers on the back actually did any good. However, I found a reasonable work-around could be achieved in DSP processing.

What you don't see on the kickstarter page is that we've used only the best quality components and materials everywhere, within a reasonable price frame naturally.

Woofers are custom-made from Eminence to our specifications and actually comes delivered in matched pairs to our EMS partner.

Tweeters are custom-made from a Chinese manufacturer as we could not find anything on the market that matched our requirements, especially the durability of what we could find on the market was a serious issue as magnets would break off or the horns would crack when drop tested from as little as 1m mounted in cabinet, so we had to specify our own.

The aluminium edgings are a special softer alloy that together with the rubber used to glue them in place absorb knocks, and the rubberised glue makes them able to expand and contract to withstand even extreme temperatures. The wood is construction grade baltic birch plywood. The most durable type of plywood there is to make sure the speaker survives even the toughest use conditions and to ensure the best possible bass response and the cabinet is almost completely free of vibration that would negatively affect bass impulse response and midrange detail even at maximum volumes.

The batteries are indeed LiFePO4. But not only that, it's the highest quality cells you can get. Better than anything you can find anywhere through regular sales channels. They are not even for sale on the market. They are only made on order in high quantities.

I have personally visited all our partners and subcontractors factories to ensure quality control, working conditions and worker safety is top notch.

Sorry for the sales pitch but I'm just very excited about our product, and I'm also extremely happy to finally be able to show you what I've been working on for the last 8 months now. 

Posted By: Roo2
Date Posted: 02 March 2016 at 5:26am
Thanks Saturnus. This looks like a winning product. I'll pledge for a Soundboks too;)

Posted By: all bass
Date Posted: 02 March 2016 at 7:03am
Originally posted by Saturnus Saturnus wrote:

Sorry for the sales pitch but I'm just very excited about our product, and I'm also extremely happy to finally be able to show you what I've been working on for the last 8 months now. 
I am glad that all those years helping the DIY community finally offered you some form of payback in this new business of yours! 

Nice work! Clap

-------------
https://www.instagram.com/my_modular_journey/

Posted By: mr. doom
Date Posted: 21 March 2016 at 5:09pm
I am sure it is a killer product Saturnus, congrats on the sucessfull Kickstarter! 

Any chance we can see a shootout with the other portable PA boxes like the Behringer mpa40,Roland BA 330 and Mackie Freeplay... Ending with a durability test would be stellar too as I would love to see someone jump on those  plastic boxes.  

I was starting the process of building a durable half boominator for my Bob bike trailer but think your Soundbok may be a more convenient size and definitely look better. 

Posted By: crossed
Date Posted: 23 March 2016 at 12:33am

Sorry for the sales pitch...

I don't feel like it is a real sales pitch, and even if it is, it is delivered with some, well-eaned, credibility.

Date Posted: 23 March 2016 at 2:27am
I've started looking into optimizing the speaker and setting the DSP to correct levels to optimise the sound quality. Up until now securing long term reliability and generally investigating the limitations of the speaker and amplifier has been prioritised. So up until now not much work have been done to fine tune the speaker as such. I've only set it at some rudimentary settings that were good enough for show casing but not for more critical listening. There's still a couple of weeks until production starts so we'll get there. Although I also feel I must stipulate that it's not meant as to replace a home stereo hi-fi system. It can do it in a pinch but it's a party speaker meant for blasting at high volumes... outdoors (or in a large room)... for a very long time.

Posted By: nsh
Date Posted: 28 March 2016 at 12:19am
--

Pledge $499 or more

FINAL EARLY BIRD - SAVE $200 
Retail: $699

1x SOUNDBOKS, 2x Batteries, 1x Aux-cable

Estimated delivery: 

Date Posted: 28 March 2016 at 4:04am
Well, right now delivery looks like it's going to be late May or early June for the last pledges.

Posted By: DavidP
Date Posted: 28 March 2016 at 3:12pm
Will spares be available? Was thinking about adding a few of these to hire stock.

Date Posted: 19 April 2016 at 3:20pm
http://https://www.facebook.com/events/867593693350175/" rel="nofollow - http://https://www.facebook.com/events/867593693350175/

Or to those not venturing into the 21st century yet, there's a showcase event in Viccy Park this Sunday where you can get a chance to listen to a production speaker (or very near to at least).

More exactly at the Victoria Park Tennis Court at 2-3 PM Sunday.

The team will also be in Manchester Thursday and Friday if anyone up north wanna have a listen.

For the Viccy Park event please sign up on facebook, or just show up. And if you're interested in listening to it in the Manchester central area, send me a PM and I'll send it the request on.

I'll not be a the events personally unfortunately as I'll be in Lithuania and Germany.

Posted By: toastyghost
Date Posted: 19 April 2016 at 3:36pm
I definitely want to have a listen, can you PM me a contact number for the guys? Happy to host something at our warehouse or in the club next door too if you want to make it more formal.

Posted By: SamV
Date Posted: 19 April 2016 at 6:30pm
It's the London Marathon this weekend so I won't be able to make it :(

Should have said, could have showcased it here.

Posted By: lutkeveld
Date Posted: 19 April 2016 at 9:52pm
How are things going Saturnus? Mid april is slowly passing, are the first units on their way? What is going on behind the scenes?

Date Posted: 26 April 2016 at 7:24pm

http://https://www.facebook.com/events/867593693350175/" rel="nofollow - http://https://www.facebook.com/events/867593693350175/

Or to those not venturing into the 21st century yet, there's a showcase event in Viccy Park this Sunday where you can get a chance to listen to a production speaker (or very near to at least).

More exactly at the Victoria Park Tennis Court at 2-3 PM Sunday.

Oi - I ain't dealin wid dat bomboclaat facebook business :-)

Well - I went along on Sunday and met up with the folk + speaker. Coupla my mates were there .... weather was feckin cold and windy and bit of damp/rain, so not very conducive to hanging out for a while  .... but we certainly put the speaker throught its paces - so here's my impressions/little review. The box we had there is apparently not quite final production release.

Its loud. Yes - loud. I guess the size/weight.specs are all available online so won't dwell on that, but I'd say its about the size of 2 small suitcases side-by-side. When you pick it up, it feels pleasantly lighter than you'd expect fom the size .... (is it neo drivers ?).
It looks pretty bomb-proof with those corner protectors (and is apparently so designed).
It seems to me like a proper piece of comercial kit - designed to work hard and withstand some treatment.

I llike the battery arrangement - the 12V LiFePo4 battery mounts in a hatch in the side, so easy to swap out ... and the box ships with 2 batteries - which I like. It would be pretty easy also to hook up a chunky lead-acid leisure battery (well I'm assuming there'd be no problem with that - Saturnus ?) - if you want it to play the whole weekend around the clock at full welly.

On the side is the recessed connector/controls panel. Volume goes to 11 :-) Like it.
Personally I'd like a bit of EQ of some sort - just bass + treble would be useful - can't see it adding much to the cost .... but there again the Jamaican music (old and new)  I play  can have some fairly wild differences in overall balance - others playing more "mainstream" music might not feel the need for this so much.

OK - sound quality. Welll at the low end - I'd say it sounds nice and tight - well controlled and tight.
I think it must be HPF'd at around 80Hz or so (largely in the interests of battery life I'd guess)- but still gives a good "impression" of bass - especially considering we were hearing it sat on grass in the middle of a park. If put against a wall in the street somewhere  ..... police will get get called fairly rapidly methinks. I'd say its a well implemented reflex design with a good deal of cone area (2 x 10") - so can shift some air.
HF seemed to work well - no shortage of brightness and "fizz" to the sound.
Lower mid (lets say vocal range)  is strong and clear and loud.
Now in the upper midrange is where there's a bit of a problem I think. It can (at times) sound kinda brittle .... edgy .... a bit like early amp clipping maybe - (dunno if thats what it actually is) .... or mebbe something odd happening around the Xover point. I'm told Saturnus is working on the DSP to address this (so its not just me hearing it). Not always easy to tell - as my mates music  (we were playing a mixture of old reggae - some remixes etc. and bashment-ish style and some more modern roots-ish stuff) is not always the cleanest - due to how/where it was sourced.
Needs sweetening/controlling a bit in upper mid.

I have coupla suggestions for any mk2 versions ....

I'd like a voltmeter of some sort across the battery.

A continuously multi-colour LED might be OK .... although I'd prefer a digital meter with a momentary contact  switch - just to check voltage now and again without depriving the battery of 15mA or so all the time. But maybe marketing says "keep it simple" .... dunno.

As above some basic bit of EQ

I didn't get to see the trolley - but I'd have thought - with a bit of clever design - it should be possible to give that trolley interchangeable wheels with large pueumatic  (mebbe 16" or 20") ones so as to convert it into a bicycle trailer.

So well done guys - it must take a good deal of work, persistance, patience to get a thing like this into commercial production without serious corporate resources.

I'd have thought if you're a audio hire company catering for a range of needs - this would have a place in your hire stock.

-------------
REMEMBER....POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

Date Posted: 27 April 2016 at 10:55am
Cheers for turning up despite the rain and have a listen.

Here's my comments:

It's not neo drivers. It's just a very light weight but very solid and rigid construction using baltic birch construction plywood and use of light weight material basically everywhere. Also the batteries are deceptively light.

Sure, you can rig up a big lead battery to extend the battery life. Naturally sacrificing portability in the process. Much care was put into making the battery access both easy to swap, fool-proof, and solid at the same time so I'm glad you like it.

The co-workers didn't get why I insisted it should literally go to 11. Kids these days, eh? :D Obviously, it's for when you want just that little bit extra to push you over the edge. The speaker is supposed to be a no frills active speaker, you get out what you put in, so therefore no tone controls. But we might consider it in the future. Most phones and so on that you'll be playing from does have EQs though.

Actual -3dB point is between 63.82hz and 70.71hz depending on how loud play and the load on the power supply. So there's no a lot of "true" deep bass but it gives a good solid punch (IMO) to make it seem so. You're hitting the core of what has been taking me ages to improve. It's the crossover area. The woofers was added a different coating which makes it "duller" near the XO and the tweeter doesn't go as low as originally planned since it simple sounds horrible when it tries. So that means the woofer is basically asked to bite a larger gap than it could under normal circumstances chew. I've resolved the issue as best as is possible but it'll never be the speaker's strong point before the new tweeter I've designed is implemented and completely solves the issue. It's totally acceptable now though, just it could be better.

EDIT: I should note the high mid/low treble issue really only reared it's head when playing at or close to maximum volume.

Your suggestions for an updated version is noted. As is all other feedback, and that's probably why no other company than a small start up with mostly audio DIYers could do what we do. We accept a much lower margin than any big dollar company would accept even if they were seriously desperate. It's not cheap to build as all the parts really are top notch. And being DIYers by heart, we know how the product is used, and who our customers are, and we can take feedback directly into consideration and implement necessary changes fast.

Posted By: herke
Date Posted: 27 April 2016 at 11:19am
Are you sending out any review units? I have a friend at djworx.com who is very interested to try this out. 

Posted By: Shortrope
Date Posted: 27 April 2016 at 11:45am
How does it compare to a Boominator??

-------------
My Tinnitus is coming along nicely!!

Posted By: Hemisphere
Date Posted: 27 April 2016 at 1:59pm

Obviously, it's for when you want just that little bit extra to push you over the edge
Why didn't you just make 10 louder, and make 10 be the highest number, and make that a little louder?

Posted By: Shortrope
Date Posted: 27 April 2016 at 2:03pm
Originally posted by Hemisphere Hemisphere wrote:

<span style="line-height: 16.8px; : rgb251, 251, 253;">Obviously, it's for when you want just that little bit extra to push you over the edge
</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">Why didn't you just make 10 louder, and make 10 be the highest number, and make that a little louder?</span>

You've not seen Spinal Tap then??😁😁

-------------
My Tinnitus is coming along nicely!!

Date Posted: 27 April 2016 at 2:03pm

Obviously, it's for when you want just that little bit extra to push you over the edge
Why didn't you just make 10 louder, and make 10 be the highest number, and make that a little louder?

Are you for real ? Are you saying you've never seen the movie "Spinal Tap" ?
If not - well you (and Saturnus's youngsters doing demos) should be forced to sit down and watch it !!! ;-)

-------------

Date Posted: 27 April 2016 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by slaz slaz wrote:

Are you for real ? Are you saying you've never seen the movie "Spinal Tap" ?
If not - well you (and Saturnus's youngsters doing demos) should be forced to sit down and watch it !!! ;-)

Maybe I've seen it more times than you LOL

Date Posted: 27 April 2016 at 3:31pm

But this one goes to eleven!?

Maybe some one needs to gets the clip refreshed :D

Date Posted: 27 April 2016 at 3:43pm
It's a shame nobody got back to me about Manchester, sent a PM, posted here and on the Facebook! Could have gotten a whole bunch of interested people in front of them, and was considering a purchase of a pair myself. Are you planning to come back up this way again? Maybe organise something a bit more officially if so, happy to help etc.

Date Posted: 27 April 2016 at 3:53pm

I beg yer very puddin .... you were quoting :-)

-------------

Date Posted: 27 April 2016 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

It's a shame nobody got back to me about Manchester, sent a PM, posted here and on the Facebook! Could have gotten a whole bunch of interested people in front of them, and was considering a purchase of a pair myself. Are you planning to come back up this way again? Maybe organise something a bit more officially if so, happy to help etc.

I'll definitely look into where the communication breakdown happened as that is almost unforgivable in my book. We'll head back up north at some point in the near future. And this time, I might be there as well.

Date Posted: 27 April 2016 at 7:03pm
It's cool I was pretty busy but could have spared an hour or two for sure. Super keen so just let me know!

Posted By: studio45
Date Posted: 28 April 2016 at 1:15pm
In a similar vein, also might be worth contacting 20Hz Soundsystem in Sheffield via FB - if you do a demo at one of Akid's events I bet you could sell one or two. Their crowd went for Minirigs in a big way, and are generally very enthusiastic about soundsystem culture.

-------------
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 28 April 2016 at 1:41pm
I've got one of the first deliveries Kyle you can have a play then

Date Posted: 30 April 2016 at 12:02pm
Question I forgot to ask .... whats the deal with taking those LiFePo4 batteries on planes ?
Do you declare them in advance when booking tickets ? Do you carry safety certs (UN xxxxxx ) - if so - do the airport security bods just accept that OK ? (I mean the airport bods, not the airline check-in bods). I've heard the airport bods can (and sometimes do) ignore/override any airline permissions or certs.

-------------

Posted By: mr. doom
Date Posted: 30 April 2016 at 12:54pm

Question I forgot to ask .... whats the deal with taking those LiFePo4 batteries on planes ?
Do you declare them in advance when booking tickets ? Do you carry safety certs (UN xxxxxx ) - if so - do the airport security bods just accept that OK ? (I mean the airport bods, not the airline check-in bods). I've heard the airport bods can (and sometimes do) ignore/override any airline permissions or certs.

Depends, since  almost every passenger has a device loaded with lithos and likely a laptop loaded with 18650's in checked baggage security is probably familiar with what batteries look like.  Check with the  airline, My DIY amp/litho box looks like a bomb and I would be surprised if they let it on a plane.  

Date Posted: 30 April 2016 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by mr. doom mr. doom wrote:

Depends, since  almost every passenger has a device loaded with lithos and likely a laptop loaded with 18650's in checked baggage security is probably familiar with what batteries look like.  Check with the  airline, My DIY amp/litho box looks like a bomb and I would be surprised if they let it on a plane. 

Yeah alot of LiPo packs are gonna be looking like a Roadrunner style "Acme Bomb" - including my RC-type LiPo ones. No UN38.3 certs for those.

Saturnus's LiFePo4 packs may very well have that cert (maybe printed on the pack itself).
I suspect if you announce it to the airline in advance and carry the cert - it'll be OK for airline  check-in,  but the airport bods seem to be a law unto themselves .... and are probably told to err on the side of extreme caution with this.

In theory packs <100Wh (to allow for laptop packs) are exempt ..... but I suspect its really just down to what the packs looks like, and if they've seen one before.

-------------

Date Posted: 30 April 2016 at 1:41pm
They are certified. With the certification printed on them. No need for you to do anything.

They are also under the 100Wh limit at 12.8V@7.8Ah or 99.84Wh exactly. Yeah, that was intentional. :-)

Any trouble, just point to the fact that they are under 100Wh and have UN38.3 compliance certificate printed on them.

Worst that can happen is that you are told to carry them on-board with your carry-on luggage. Please note, you are allowed to take 2 such battery packs with you. It's not 100Wh maximum total, it's maximum 100Wh for each.

Link to IATA regulations:  http://https://www.iata.org/whatwedo/cargo/dgr/Documents/lithium-battery-guidance-document-2016-en.pdf" rel="nofollow - http://https://www.iata.org/whatwedo/cargo/dgr/Documents/lithium-battery-guidance-document-2016-en.pdf

Posted By: Brummiejon
Date Posted: 05 May 2016 at 12:08pm
Oh Dear

I've been away from the forums for a bit and missed this.
I dont need a Soundboks because I have a boominator and soon to have three (just bought 2 C-AMPS), but I want to buy one anyway as my way of showing my appreciation and support to Saturnus for all the work he has done for free.... The kickstarter project is now closed, how do I get my hands on a soundboks?

Cheers

BJ

Posted By: monop0d
Date Posted: 10 May 2016 at 1:53am
Originally posted by Brummiejon Brummiejon wrote:

Oh Dear

I've been away from the forums for a bit and missed this.
I dont need a Soundboks because I have a boominator and soon to have three (just bought 2 C-AMPS), but I want to buy one anyway as my way of showing my appreciation and support to Saturnus for all the work he has done for free.... The kickstarter project is now closed, how do I get my hands on a soundboks?

Cheers

BJ

You can sign up on the waiting list on https://soundboks.com/index.php#sign-up

Date Posted: 11 May 2016 at 12:15am
Great thanks..... Been reading a couple of dodgy reviews dissing the sound quality :(

Date Posted: 11 May 2016 at 6:44am
Are you sure it's about the new one or the old one from last year?
The one from last year wasn't any good.

Posted By: corell
Date Posted: 11 May 2016 at 7:48am
Im sure the electronics in this are very clever designed as Saturnus "know his shit" but the marketing and the chassis, well...
Any chance to buy only "the inner parts" ?

Posted By: Ionkontrol
Date Posted: 11 May 2016 at 9:37am
Originally posted by lost eden lost eden wrote:

What sort of 'nightclubs' are they going to that are only 113dB?

Most of London these days......Wink

Posted By: hrjonas
Date Posted: 20 May 2016 at 11:41am
Forgot quote.

Posted By: hrjonas
Date Posted: 20 May 2016 at 11:42am

...before the new tweeter I've designed is implemented and completely solves the issue. It's totally acceptable now though, just it could be better.

EDIT: I should note the high mid/low treble issue really only reared it's head when playing at or close to maximum volume.

Hi Saturnus. Is the new tweeter implemented, or did you fix the issue with the low treble??

Date Posted: 27 May 2016 at 11:15am
my backer's email said these would start shipping thurs 26th (yesterday), so hopefully they'll be around and about soon enough!

Date Posted: 27 July 2016 at 12:20pm
Anyone received their Soundbocks yet? I paid for mine in May and it still hasn't arrived.
BJ

Date Posted: 09 August 2016 at 10:46pm

Anyone received their Soundbocks yet? I paid for mine in May and it still hasn't arrived.
BJ

Did it arrive yet, any reviews?

Dupe...

-------------
Dupe...

Date Posted: 09 August 2016 at 11:36pm
Still not got mine in the UK, even though later backers who had later delivery dates have got theirs in the US etc..

The communication from them has been a shambles to be fair

Date Posted: 11 August 2016 at 12:53am
It's all part of the full experience package. That's authentic free party level organisation you're feeling, and at no extra cost!

Date Posted: 11 August 2016 at 3:03pm
Wrote a message to one of the guys from Soundboks at the forum festivalanlæg, just to see if it gets things moving :)

Date Posted: 11 August 2016 at 9:06pm
Just got mine today... Review to come but first impressions are that the manual could be better but it's all about the sound and I've not had chance to put it through its paces yet..
BJ

Posted By: nsh
Date Posted: 13 August 2016 at 11:03pm
Still waiting.

The only outdoors thing I was planning to do sound at was last weekend, so meh...

Date Posted: 19 August 2016 at 4:27pm
mines in transit..23rd aug for delivery....

Posted By: bitSmasher
Date Posted: 21 August 2016 at 8:11am

It's all part of the full experience package. That's authentic free party level organisation you're feeling, and at no extra cost!

it'll drink your beer and hit on your friends too, then ask to DJ at peak time

-------------
https://www.instagram.com/batteryacidsoundsystem/

Date Posted: 22 August 2016 at 1:44am
Some rumblings on the crowdfunder about quality control issues also.

Two separate commenters have mentioned what both described as a 'clattering' backplate at high volume as well as audible vibration from the grille and the whole unit shutting down randomly at high volume.

While this doesn't sound likely to be the sort of issue that would make it past a reasonable quality control/stress test post-assembly, several people have also mentioned receiving a considerably damaged/inadequate shipping box. Is it possible that they may be getting damaged in transit?

These faults are probably isolated (anyone who gets a dud out of 1500 people will immediately be running to Kickstarter to complain about it, and there's only 3 or 4 complaints), but it would be reassuring to hear what reasonable explanations there could be for those issues, and that it's definitely not a typical symptom that becomes apparent while playing grossly-overcompressed bass heavy music and turning it to 11. 

Someone mentioned earlier about the unfortunate marketing, and I think that bears repeating: "twice as loud as a nightclub, unbreakable, the first and only portable speaker that can throw a true party"...that kind of thing. I just don't see the point in what is essentially bare-faced lying. I thought this was something the industry was slowly moving away from. If a nightclub is limited to 109dB that doesn't mean maximum SPL peaks! People would laugh and walk out of a nightclub that offered this.

Maybe that's just the Kickstarter way, I don't know, but this is a product that offers something really amazing in a very neat package, and at a surprisingly low price. That it exceeded it's goal by nearly 8 times (and the logistical nightmare that appears to have created) is more than proof that this thing is good enough to sell itself on it's true merits.

It sounds like when it works as intended it's a very good design. Hopefully a mark III or even a mark IIa that irons out any remaining teething problems/quality control can see a relaunch that irons out the worst of the marketing bs as well.

About the only companies who have survived selling products like this in the past (Anchor Audio, MiPro, and the other first and only's) have charged way more for their product, with similarly powerful offerings from Anchor typically running into the multiple thousands of dollars. I always looked at them and thought "how is it they can ask so much, and why is no one else doing this?"

One thing that is undoubtedly true of the Soundboks claims is that a larger, profit driven corporation would be charging way, way more for this product, (or just do a Godawful job of it) but I don't think any degree of deception should be needed to help cement the position of a product that is head and shoulders above the competition in real terms and in many ways. If anything I think it harms it.

How about: The first to use cutting edge 100Wh lifepo4 battery packs *and* throw a spare one in for free! The first to offer two pro quality 10" bass drivers in one box at a price below $2,000! etc. The only speaker to offer: [insert any of the many available combinations of impressive sounding qualities that only the Soundboks has all of here]. Okay these claims would perhaps be nuanced beyond your average Kickstarter backer but they would be verifiably true, and they're really impressive.

Date Posted: 22 August 2016 at 1:57am
Honourable mention to the offerings from dB Technologies, LD Systems and RCF (I loved my old Move 100v)which have all at times (but rarely successfully or long term, I'm not sure what if any offerings they have presently) offered portable speakers capable of throwing a true party, and at largely affordable prices (£250-400 typically), but none coming close in (overall) terms of: battery life/cycles, efficiency, cone area, maximum SPL (although all in varying degrees getting very close in one or more of those areas) 

Date Posted: 22 August 2016 at 11:19am
mine just arrived - will let you know how it is later on after work...:D

Date Posted: 23 August 2016 at 2:36pm
Tested mine to the max at the weekend...
Here's a little review...
Overall it's great but could be brilliant.... Volume good (got me into trouble), sound quality good but a bit lacking in the upper mid range, aliasing on best quality wav files (not sure it that's a Bluetooth or amplifier issue), overall finish a little rough round the edges (screws not all the way in, grill fixings serviceable but rough).... Not sure that battery life is quite as good as advertised, will comment on that again once I've tested it properly, I would like a battery life or charge indicator... Personally, I'm happy with the Soundboks having a DIY build feel about it, but in a commercial market I could see some people complaining about some of the minor build quality details....

This has been tested at the UKs premier deep house party, and listened to, and played through by some of the top Underground deep house DJs and record producers... They loved it and I may yet secure some orders for more....
BJ

Date Posted: 25 August 2016 at 10:51am

Hi guys,

Alfred from SOUNDBOKS here. We're really appreciating all the feedback you give, please keep it coming. The DIY scene (here, DIYaudio and Danish forums) are essentially the corner stones in the founding of the SOUNDBOKS company.

As some of you have pointed out, our response rate and delivery hasn't met our expectations at all. Our initial manufacturing partner (no names, sorry) cancelled on us after producing the first 1000 units. That meant that we had to partner up with a new EMS in a 2 month time frame, something that usually takes 6-12 months. After we more or less got everything up and running with our EMS, we changed logistics partner (it's not easy finding a courier allowing transport of LiFePO4 batteries, hence why you see so high shipping prices e.g. ev-power.eu) and now we finally got almost all orders out AFAIK. We’re shipping more SOUNDBOKS’ these weeks than we’ve ever done before.

Originally posted by freddymendez freddymendez wrote:

Still not got mine in the UK, even though later backers who had later delivery dates have got theirs in the US etc..

The communication from them has been a shambles to be fair

I'm really sorry about the lack of response on our side. The decision of having early backers receive later than late backers/buyers was not something we had any plans on doing, but as mentioned the problems with our EMS and logistics partner led us to not having any other choice.

Originally posted by nsh nsh wrote:

Still waiting.

The only outdoors thing I was planning to do sound at was last weekend, so meh...

If you still haven't received it, please don't hesitate contacting support@soundboks.com or write a personal email to me at alfred@soundboks.com and I'll help you as best as I can.

Two separate commenters have mentioned what both described as a 'clattering' backplate at high volume (...)

If you are having this error, please contact support@soundboks.com and we will sort it out and fix it for you.

This is an issue that has honestly caused us quite some trouble, since it's not as easy a fix as some of the other issues that we've experienced. The cause of this is that the dado in the back plate is sometimes a tiny, tiny bit too deep compared to the dimensions of the bracer, meaning that the glue in the dado doesn't bind properly. This has been fixed in current versions but still occur in some of the first batches. You can fix this yourself by removing the grill, removing the woofers and applying a strip of SMP (construction adhesive) along both sides of the bracer. With the SB lying on its back, with one hand (or foot) press the back plate against the floor to open the gap between brace and back plate whilst also trying to force the glue down in the dado. Afterwards apply pressure with clamps. Alternatively you can use your favorite choice of glue instead of SMP.

(...) as well as audible vibration from the grille (...)

We have a very low tolerance on this kind of error from our manufacturing partner but it nevertheless occurs from time to time. It's caused by the metal grill touching slightly or being very close to the wooden edges. Again, if you are experiencing this error please contact support@soundboks.com

To fix this yourself simply unscrew all attaching screws and adjusting the grill so it doesn't touch the wooden edges.

Date Posted: 25 August 2016 at 10:59am

(...) and the whole unit shutting down randomly at high volume.

This is an error in some of the first batches which we must admit to be very embarrassed of. It's a simple miscalculation error determining the values of one of the capacitors, causing the amplifier to sometimes shutdown when playing at absolute max at bass-heavy songs. The amp is simply believing that the battery has been shorted, when it is in fact outputting the correct amount of power. If you are experiencing this issue with your SB, please don't hesitate on writing to support@soundboks.com or my personal email, alfred@soundboks.com, we will of course fix it as it is covered in our warranty.

If you wanna fix the capacitor error yourself it's simply wiring a 1500 uF, 16V, 105 gr. C (http://imgur.com/a/p8o3F, see album) in parallel at the available pins closest to the battery supply connector. See pictures for reference. Also note the polarity by making sure the white marking on the capacitor faces inwards (towards the print). We will provide the capacitor if necesarry simply by contacting support@soundboks.com or alfred@soundboks.com

several people have also mentioned receiving a considerably damaged/inadequate shipping box. Is it possible that they may be getting damaged in transit?

This happened to a very small amount of people all of which have been contacted. Actually I have two of the damaged boxes lying just beside me in our office, and the affected customers have been sent completely new units.

Someone mentioned earlier about the unfortunate marketing, and I think that bears repeating: "twice as loud as a nightclub, unbreakable, the first and only portable speaker that can throw a true party"...that kind of thing. I just don't see the point in what is essentially bare-faced lying. I thought this was something the industry was slowly moving away from. If a nightclub is limited to 109dB that doesn't mean maximum SPL peaks! People would laugh and walk out of a nightclub that offered this.

Thank you for pointing this out! Marketing has been notified and the specific headliner you mentioned is being outphased as of now. This has also in fact been pointed out by many less technical users and the response is something we take very serious

Hopefully a mark III or even a mark IIa that irons out any remaining teething problems/quality control can see a relaunch that irons out the worst of the marketing bs as well.

I can assure you that we’re working intensely on the upcoming version. I’m hoping to be able to disclose more information as we get closer to release but as for now this is probably all I can say

mine just arrived - will let you know how it is later on after work...:D

Please share your experience, we’re appreciating all the response we can get.

Tested mine to the max at the weekend...

Here's a little review…

Saturnus/Johnny will give a comprehensive response sometimes in the next couple days. If you got any other questions or feedback please don’t hesitate on sharing in here, we’re very thankful for all the help and feedback the DIY-scene has given so far

At last, we encourage you to let us fix any issues you might have, simply by contacting me or our support.

Date Posted: 25 August 2016 at 1:15pm
Thanks for the excellent response. What a breath of fresh air!

You more or less alieviated most of my concerns. It would be really interesting to hear a 'dado joint' level of detail on what went wrong with the shipping.

The sense I get from the Soundboks is that, though not perfect (nothing is), you've struck upon one of those well thought out, well reduced designs that has the potential to remain a standard for a long time. It reminds me a lot of the Alesis / Ion Audio boxes with 1x 8" full range drivers - in another league in terms battery and output (and surely quality? though I can't say from experience), but similar in it's design and particularly in reduction of unnecessary costs.

The Soundboks seems the obvious next step up from those boxes, that are becoming near ubiquitous as an entry level solution. At their best (retailing around £150-200) they can produce around 111-112dB with reasonable sound quality and a very respectable bass extension. At their worst they are crud, as the same basic design has been spread over dozens of distinct models and brands from £75 and up, so it's hard for buyers to tell the difference.

You'd need about 3 of them stacked together to match the output of the Soundboks, not to mention all the extra hassle and weight and battery issues.

Posted By: all bass
Date Posted: 25 August 2016 at 2:20pm
Thumbs up for the detailed replies.

Usually manufacturers go really quiet when things go wrong. Hopefully you'll get it all sorted out.

-------------
https://www.instagram.com/my_modular_journey/

Date Posted: 25 August 2016 at 2:51pm
http://www.anchoraudio.com/portable-sound-systems/%20" rel="nofollow - http://www.anchoraudio.com/portable-sound-systems/

You might want to send a link through to the marketing department. They're not small and they're not affordable but they are portable, battery powered and very loud. In America at least they are quite a well known brand.

Edit: Technically they're a sound system not a single speaker, but Fohnn possibly holds the crown of loudest battery powered speaker (single box unit) at 125dB

http://www.woodbrass.com/en/pa-portable-p.a.-systems-fohhn-fp22-p182342.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.woodbrass.com/en/pa-portable-p.a.-systems-fohhn-fp22-p182342.html

Date Posted: 25 August 2016 at 3:19pm

Thanks for the excellent response. What a breath of fresh air!

You more or less alieviated most of my concerns. It would be really interesting to hear a 'dado joint' level of detail on what went wrong with the shipping.

The sense I get from the Soundboks is that, though not perfect (nothing is), you've struck upon one of those well thought out, well reduced designs that has the potential to remain a standard for a long time. It reminds me a lot of the Alesis / Ion Audio boxes with 1x 8" full range drivers - in another league in terms battery and output (and surely quality? though I can't say from experience), but similar in it's design and particularly in reduction of unnecessary costs.

The Soundboks seems the obvious next step up from those boxes, that are becoming near ubiquitous as an entry level solution. At their best (retailing around £150-200) they can produce around 111-112dB with reasonable sound quality and a very respectable bass extension. At their worst they are crud, as the same basic design has been spread over dozens of distinct models and brands from £75 and up, so it's hard for buyers to tell the difference.

You'd need about 3 of them stacked together to match the output of the Soundboks, not to mention all the extra hassle and weight and battery issues.

All the engineers on the SB team has been part of the different DIY communities for a long time and know how valuable you guys are. I'm hoping to improve our presence here (and other similar forums) without seeming like greedy salesmen. 

Regarding bad shipping: it's out of our hands and something we're trying to prevent as much as possible, however sometimes it's difficult to comprehend just how much force a +20kg package goes through while being sent around the world.

Thank you both for the kind feedback, we're appreciating it all, both negative and positive!

Date Posted: 25 August 2016 at 4:25pm

Edit: Technically they're a sound system not a single speaker, but Fohnn possibly holds the crown of loudest battery powered speaker (single box unit) at 125dB

http://www.woodbrass.com/en/pa-portable-p.a.-systems-fohhn-fp22-p182342.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.woodbrass.com/en/pa-portable-p.a.-systems-fohhn-fp22-p182342.html

Technically the Soundboks is much louder than that. The Fohnn says 125dB peak. The 119dB we write is a very conservative RMS figure, and also as a company we can get into problems if we imply our product is capable of inducing permanent hearing loss (which a figure at or above 120dB would imply). Here a picture of me holding a dB measurement instrument held for 1 minute at 1 meter indoors listening to some highly compressed EDM (I think it was DVBBS & Borgeous - Tsunami). The Setting is C-weighted peak (C-weighted is what  you use to measure above about 100dB).

Date Posted: 25 August 2016 at 8:36pm
Certainly looks loud! I guess dB figures are rarely a precise science for all the reasons usually discussed and more.

131.9 = 97dB peak sensitivity +3dB for two drivers + ~100w amp peaks + 12dB room gain? Effing loud though no matter what the reasoning :)

I was thinking today about how on Earth Fohnn could have come by their 125dB figure and it doesn't really add up. They're a respectable high end manufacturer so I was tempted to err towards a wizardry-based explanation over a figure massaging one.

Then I remembered their new slogan.. "Sounds perfect. Is perfect" LOLLOLLOLDead

Date Posted: 25 August 2016 at 9:11pm
The amp drew over 16Apeak from the batteries which were fully charged obviously so voltage didn't dip below 13.4V during the same measurement so about 200Wpeak pumped into the speakers. Obviously pressed that hard the battery won't last 8 hours but I hope that most people will have the sense to turn it down a notch or two because distortion figures were well into the double digits but at least we know it can do much more than we advertise.

Sure, it goes to 11 but it's also worth noting that by that we mean the same thing as was meant in the Spinal Tap sketch. It's the final stage when you wanna push it over the edge and have a grand finale. You're not really meant to turn it up to 11 and keep it there, just like what was meant it the sketch. Otherwise, as the interviewer in the sketch remarks, we could just have made 10 louder.

Date Posted: 25 August 2016 at 9:32pm
Very cool. Thanks for the detailed info and good luck with everything!

Date Posted: 25 August 2016 at 9:45pm
A bit more feedback from me... After one, 3 day festival, one of the aluminium edging strips came unglued and came off.... Seemed to be glued on by a very small amount of some kind of black silicone.. I've glued it back on with Sika Selotex... It won't come off again.... Ok, these aluminium edges look smart, routed into the cab for a smooth finish... Personally, I'd prefer standard flight case construction with screws or pop rivets...
BJ

Date Posted: 25 August 2016 at 10:00pm
Are the edges not fixed into place by the corners? That was the impression I got from looking at the pictures. #unbreakable LOL

If they're already routered into the panels I don't see why they wouldn't be held in place by the corners.. Seems obvious.

Date Posted: 25 August 2016 at 11:00pm
That's the first time we've seen any of the alu edges come off without using a crow bar to force it off. Seriously. First time.

They're glued in place with a ultra strong SMP glue that remains adhesive and flexible from -50 to +165 degrees Celcius. Basically unbreakable when the correct amount is applied.

I have a smear of it on a pair of pants. The damn thing has survived 8 wash and dry cycles without even looking like it's going to go away any time soon.

Date Posted: 26 August 2016 at 8:59am

Are the edges not fixed into place by the corners? That was the impression I got from looking at the pictures. <span style="line-height: 1.4;">#unbreakable </span>LOL

If they're already routered into the panels I don't see why they wouldn't be held in place by the corners.. Seems obvious.

No, the edges are short of the corners and glued on. The corners are also routed in... Nice clean finish but not sure why they haven't gone down the standard flight case route?

BJ

Date Posted: 26 August 2016 at 9:06am

That's the first time we've seen any of the alu edges come off without using a crow bar to force it off. Seriously. First time.

They're glued in place with a ultra strong SMP glue that remains adhesive and flexible from -50 to +165 degrees Celcius. Basically unbreakable when the correct amount is applied.

I have a smear of it on a pair of pants. The damn thing has survived 8 wash and dry cycles without even looking like it's going to go away any time soon.

I'm assuming that the correct amount wasn't applied. The glue you use sounds and looks just like the type I have just applied so it's the right stuff to use... Now I have put enough on, it won't come off again...

I'm hoping that my observations are helpful and not seen as being overly critical (I should have taken a photo really)...

The soundboks, my boominator and a HD15 sub (powered by a bassface amp) are hosting a beach party on Sunday, I'll let you know how I get on....

BJ

Date Posted: 26 August 2016 at 10:16am

The soundboks, my boominator and a HD15 sub (powered by a bassface amp) are hosting a beach party on Sunday, I'll let you know how I get on....

BJ

How are you going to set it up? Sounds really cool, please lets us know how it went and perhaps a picture of the complete system Smile

-------------
SOUNDBOKS representative and dedicated to Roskilde Festival, 12V systems and aesthetics

Date Posted: 26 August 2016 at 10:17am

BJ
That should be a good laugh, looking forward to the review!

Dupe...

-------------
Dupe...

Date Posted: 07 June 2017 at 3:49pm
Hey guys,

Just wanted to hear how you've been using your SOUNDBOKS the 9 months? I greatly appreciated all your feedback back in August, and would love to include you more in our feedback.

We're currently, among other projects, working on releasing a new add-on for the SOUNDBOKS this summer. The device will allow you to connect multiple SOUNDBOKS' (still wired though), and hook them up to DJ mixers (RCA, 6.3mm, XLR, 3.5mm), instruments and mics. Essentially its' a small battery powered active splitter and converter. I'm really looking forward to disclose more information on this, however I'll be sure to keep you posted!

We got a lot of interesting things in the pipeline for this Summer Smile

-------------
SOUNDBOKS representative and dedicated to Roskilde Festival, 12V systems and aesthetics

Date Posted: 19 June 2017 at 10:53am
What about the Bluetooth stereo connection the Minirig and B&O are using, wouldn't that be a cool thing to use for two wireless setup? :)

Posted By: niallshuffle
Date Posted: 04 July 2017 at 1:39am
Originally posted by DavidP DavidP wrote:

Will spares be available? Was thinking about adding a few of these to hire stock.

Hi Folks,

Newbie here, but not such a n00b that I don't know where to look for the right information, it appears! This may appear a little bit of a cheeky post, I must admit ... but is anyone (Perhaps you David?) hiring these units in UK?

I am a complete fan of 'The Coffin Camp' from when I first seen and met the owners at Roskilde Festival in 2009 with their Coffin sound system, which I fell in love with. That year we came back and brought a cinema sound system with truck battery & inverter to a festival in Ireland called oxegen, where we were hailed as heroes. (poor man's 12v system - I'm sorry!)

Anyway, here's the deal - I am going to a festival in Belgium in 3 weeks time called Tomorrowland. We go every year. My friends and I (decent bunch of partying Irish Lads) are discussing buying a speaker system and we have been looking at the Soundboks. Unfortunately, whilst I completely appreciate that the cost of the unit is lower than other similar quality & sounding units, it is a good bit out of our budget, so we are looking at cheap and cheerful alternatives, which to be truthful is absolutely breaking my heart. I am, at the moment, between a KAM RZ10A and an ion Party or Block Rocker, so you can imagine my pain..

I would be very interested in hiring a Soundboks for the weekend (20th July - 24th July) and would be willing to do anything to get my hands on one, including being a promotional pimp for the weekend @Saturnus & @monop0d, video blog etc included, if you lovely people of Soundboks may see the value in it to promote and sell more units.. The speaker will not be left unattended throughout the weekend, so don't be concerned about that.

If anyone perhaps would be willing to hire me a unit for the weekend, or want to contact me with details, please don't hesitate to drop me a mail and hopefully we can take it from there..

Thanks for your time folks!

Cheers,

Niall

Date Posted: 12 July 2017 at 5:23pm
Originally posted by monop0d monop0d wrote:

Hey guys,

Just wanted to hear how you've been using your SOUNDBOKS the 9 months? I greatly appreciated all your feedback back in August, and would love to include you more in our feedback.

We're currently, among other projects, working on releasing a new add-on for the SOUNDBOKS this summer. The device will allow you to connect multiple SOUNDBOKS' (still wired though), and hook them up to DJ mixers (RCA, 6.3mm, XLR, 3.5mm), instruments and mics. Essentially its' a small battery powered active splitter and converter. I'm really looking forward to disclose more information on this, however I'll be sure to keep you posted!

We got a lot of interesting things in the pipeline for this Summer Smile

seems like the soundboks 2 is due to be announced. will the original backers of the soundboks project be offered a reduced buy cost for this new model?

Date Posted: 13 July 2017 at 2:51pm

seems like the soundboks 2 is due to be announced. will the original backers of the soundboks project be offered a reduced buy cost for this new model?

From what i have seen, there will be a discount for original backers :)

Date Posted: 24 July 2017 at 1:16pm
Originally posted by niallshuffle niallshuffle wrote:

Originally posted by DavidP DavidP wrote:

Hi Folks,

Newbie here, but not such a n00b that I don't know where to look for the right information, it appears! This may appear a little bit of a cheeky post, I must admit ... but is anyone (Perhaps you David?) hiring these units in UK?

I am a complete fan of 'The Coffin Camp' from when I first seen and met the owners at Roskilde Festival in 2009 with their Coffin sound system, which I fell in love with. That year we came back and brought a cinema sound system with truck battery & inverter to a festival in Ireland called oxegen, where we were hailed as heroes. (poor man's 12v system - I'm sorry!)

Anyway, here's the deal - I am going to a festival in Belgium in 3 weeks time called Tomorrowland. We go every year. My friends and I (decent bunch of partying Irish Lads) are discussing buying a speaker system and we have been looking at the Soundboks. Unfortunately, whilst I completely appreciate that the cost of the unit is lower than other similar quality & sounding units, it is a good bit out of our budget, so we are looking at cheap and cheerful alternatives, which to be truthful is absolutely breaking my heart. I am, at the moment, between a KAM RZ10A and an ion Party or Block Rocker, so you can imagine my pain..

I would be very interested in hiring a Soundboks for the weekend (20th July - 24th July) and would be willing to do anything to get my hands on one, including being a promotional pimp for the weekend @Saturnus & @monop0d, video blog etc included, if you lovely people of Soundboks may see the value in it to promote and sell more units.. The speaker will not be left unattended throughout the weekend, so don't be concerned about that.

If anyone perhaps would be willing to hire me a unit for the weekend, or want to contact me with details, please don't hesitate to drop me a mail and hopefully we can take it from there..

Thanks for your time folks!

Cheers,

Niall

Hey Niall,

Of course we'd love to send and have every one of our potential customers to try an test the SOUNDBOKS, however we sadly do not have such resourses. If you're interested in doing a more long-term partnership, please hit me up on a PM. 

While we ourselves do not rent out SOUNDBOKS, there's a few companies who do. I'm pretty sure the Danish company http://www.lydudlejning.net" rel="nofollow - www.lydudlejning.net rents out one for 500 DKK a day. They have a German sister company called http://www.tonverleih.net" rel="nofollow - www.tonverleih.net . There's an option to ship it to the customer as well.

Originally posted by Ganon Ganon wrote:

From what i have seen, there will be a discount for original backers :)

Yes, there will be a limited discount but you'll have to be quick on the trigger. You'll be notified on email very soon.

Originally posted by Ganon Ganon wrote:

What about the Bluetooth stereo connection the Minirig and B&O are using, wouldn't that be a cool thing to use for two wireless setup? :)

We've looked into the options that Bluetooth offers, however we're not quite satisfied with what we've seen so far. We're looking into technologies that will give us a lot more options in terms of controlling and connection units, number of units, range, resistance to interference, latency etc.. The technology that's currently in our scope supports 63 nodes in star or point-to-point network with a 100 meter range, opening up for some pretty cool setups. However that's all something a bit further down the pipeline.

-------------

Posted By: Eiser
Date Posted: 28 July 2017 at 9:13am
SB2 looks rad!

How come you went from two to one tweeter? Does it play mono...?

Posted By: mobiele eenheid
Date Posted: 28 July 2017 at 9:56am
The tweeter needed wider dispersion.

Posted By: niallshuffle
Date Posted: 28 July 2017 at 10:11am
@monop0d - thanks for the response! Good to know about the rental options for future!

Soundboks2 looks absolutely incredible! Going to try and save up for one :)

Thanks!

Date Posted: 31 July 2017 at 3:36pm
Originally posted by Eiser Eiser wrote:

SB2 looks rad!

How come you went from two to one tweeter? Does it play mono...?

Mainly to avoid interference to get a better response. Yes, it does play mono, however the woofers play stereo. From an acoustic point of view having them play mono would be ideal, however for QC purposes, it's a lot more easy to check that everything plays as it should before sending it to the customer, if the woofers are in stereo. By this we can check that they sound correct and that they are in phase.

Originally posted by mobiele eenheid mobiele eenheid wrote:

The tweeter needed wider dispersion. 

We tested many different designs and models, however we were very pleased with the dispersion on this one. Having the magnet as close as possible to the baffle was also a priority since it wouldn't be able to gain the same momentum and therefore break off. 

Originally posted by niallshuffle niallshuffle wrote:

@monop0d - thanks for the response! Good to know about the rental options for future! 

Soundboks2 looks absolutely incredible! Going to try and save up for one :)

Thanks!

I can say on behalf of the whole Product Dev. team that we're really proud of the SOUNDBOKS 2. Our upstairs neighbours however are not always that happy Wink Going from 60 Hz to 40 Hz really changes things up

-------------

Posted By: bob4
Date Posted: 24 September 2017 at 8:03am
Did Anyone else notice that soundboks is now available at thomann?

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2023 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net