Print Page | Close Window

Crown XS1200 Amplifier PIC Controller

Printed From: Speakerplans.com
Category: General
Forum Name: Amp Forum
Forum Description: The 'Stopping Jake Fielder moaning constantly' forum description...
URL: https://forum.speakerplans.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=95843
Printed Date: 19 April 2024 at 3:22am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Crown XS1200 Amplifier PIC Controller
Posted By: simonp1100
Subject: Crown XS1200 Amplifier PIC Controller
Date Posted: 25 May 2016 at 7:01pm
Hi All, hope someone out there can help me.

I have a Crown XS1200 amplifier for repair and have found the fault to be the main PIC processor (some of the lines are near shorts when taken out of the board RC0, RC1 & RC2). Has anyone got a faulty amp (XS1200 or Crown Pulse) or know where i can get a new processor from or does anyone have a second hand one ????.

Any info no matter how remote.

Cheers (here's hoping).Wink

Replies:
Posted By: ceharden
Date Posted: 25 May 2016 at 8:22pm
See PM and drop me an email, I might just be able to help!

Posted By: jacethebase
Date Posted: 25 May 2016 at 9:24pm
Brit Row Have a pile of XS left. I bought all of their remaining Pulses last year.

-------------
www.wedding-production.co.uk

www.stage2sound.com

Date Posted: 25 May 2016 at 9:33pm
Not a fan of the XS.  IMO Crown took the Pulse design, failed to fix any of the issues and just engineered in some more!

Date Posted: 04 June 2016 at 5:06pm
Hi, Big thanks to Chris (Ceharden) & Kevin (Kedwardsleisure) with all their help & advice regarding a repair on a Crown XS1200 amplifier & PIC firmware (thanks Chris). Amplifier now working fine and new lower gate charge IGBT’s also fitted (UIS). Thanks guys, nice to know there a people out there who can and will help out. Cheers ClapClap

Date Posted: 05 June 2016 at 1:16am
Cool

Glad it's back up and running.

I'm rebuilding a Pulse that someone did a horrible repair job on.  They'd done a partial output transistor replacement but tighten the bolts too far so they cut through the insulation washers, shorting the power supply to the heatsinks.  Unfortunately it's one of the many issues with the Pulses you have to watch out for.  I learnt about it the hard way the first time...  Kapton washers help to avoid it, they're harder to cut through.

Posted By: DanyyX
Date Posted: 10 July 2016 at 10:49pm
Hello!

I'm glad, that I found this topic!
I've got two Pulse 2x1100 amps for repair and both have a same problem... the faulty PIC16C57 controller. One of the amps is untouched, and I'm the first who tries to fix it, but the other one have problems beyound the MCU. The American crown support told me, the Pulse is not a crown developement, just moved from C-Audio and they have no documentation for it, so they can't help with parts or firmware, but I can try the locan distributor in my country. The local distributor suggested me to buy a new XS amp, because XS is better, and they have them in stock...

I have experienced in PIC MCU-s, I've got some programmers, a lot of controllers, etc... Can someone have a code for the MCU in the pulse, and is it possible to send me via email or something?

Thanks, 
Daniel

Date Posted: 10 July 2016 at 11:30pm
Hi Daniel,

I would send you private message but they aren't enabled until you have 10 posts to your name.
http://tinyurl.com/jq3q423" rel="nofollow -
Try this link....
http://tinyurl.com/jq3q423" rel="nofollow -
http://tinyurl.com/jq3q423" rel="nofollow - http://tinyurl.com/jq3q423

Posted By: DanyyX
Date Posted: 10 July 2016 at 11:38pm
Perfect! I successfully downloaded them, more than thank you!
Tomorrow I am going to burn the controllers, and I hope... at least one comes to life.

Date Posted: 10 July 2016 at 11:48pm
Good luck!

I was given them many years ago by Lee Basham, ex C-Audio engineer.

I believe as the story goes, the Pulse Amplifiers weren't even designed by C-Audio either.  If you compare the style of PCB design to BSS products of a similar vintage you will see some similarity.

I'll give you another tip for free.  The E-core gate drive transformers WILL fail on every Pulse eventually!  The solution is to wind new ones on toroidal cores.  I think it's N97 ferrite I've used in the past and go for about 1 turn per Volt.  Mine usually ended up at about 27 turns primary and 17 turns for the secondaries.  Works perfectly.

Posted By: VentureSound
Date Posted: 11 July 2016 at 9:11am
Are those files HEX for burning straight on to a PIC, Chris?

Date Posted: 11 July 2016 at 9:14pm
Yes, they may require a change of file format depending on what programmer you're using but they are the binary firmware image.

Posted By: CaptenMorgan
Date Posted: 28 December 2016 at 8:22pm
hi guys       
I have 2 crown amps   xs900 and xs1200 for repear . on xs900 the pic 16c57 is damaged.
I need the hex to program a new pic .Is the same hex with above Pulse 2x1100? .can I use it?

Posted By: TMH Music
Date Posted: 28 December 2016 at 11:53pm
Sorry to hijack this thread, but as the owner of an XS1200, I am curious as to people's opinion on the reliability of this amp. Is this PIC controller problem a known fault? Any advice on how to keep this amp reliable would be gratefully appreciated.

-------------
Nothing is foolproof because fools are so ingenious

Date Posted: 29 December 2016 at 12:37am
Failure of the PIC controller is fairly uncommon.  I've only seen one myself on an original Pulse.

Biggest tips for keeping any amp reliable are keep them clean and dry and don't drive them hard into low impedance loads.  Although the Pulses/XS Series are rated for 2Ohm operation, I wouldn't.  They are best suited for mid-top applications which they sound very good on.

Date Posted: 29 December 2016 at 7:00am
In my case the  pic falure cased by 5v supply. A bc546 sorted and pass 30v to pic.
xc900 and xs1200 is exactly the same exept some smaller power supply capasitors. Can i use this Hex?
xc1200 and pulse use the same Hex?  I mast be sure.
thanks

Posted By: kedwardsleisure
Date Posted: 29 December 2016 at 6:21pm
you'll need the firmware version, it'll be printed on the label on the micro.

-------------
Kevin

North Staffordshire

Date Posted: 29 December 2016 at 7:09pm
Hi,

PIC's info marked on them is as follows:--

Crown XS1200 = REV.:1.09 (CS.: 8778).
C-Audio Pulse 4 X 300 = (RX5066 V1.06).

I think (correct me if i am wrong) but software RX5066V106 is for the 4 channel amps & RX5066V107 is for the 2 channel amps. Hope this info helps.

Posted By: jacethebase
Date Posted: 29 December 2016 at 10:30pm
I have loads of Pulses and a fair few XS1200's and 700's all mine are fairly reliable and sound great on wedges.

-------------
www.wedding-production.co.uk

www.stage2sound.com

Date Posted: 30 December 2016 at 1:31am
both amps  xs 1200 xs900 have the same version   rev109 cs 8778  . 
 you think RX5066V107 is  ok to  me or is only for 2 channel pulse ?

Date Posted: 30 December 2016 at 8:00am
I would use the RX5066V107 software. Wink

Date Posted: 01 January 2017 at 11:45am
ok
thanks to you  one amp have a chanse to return fron the land of dead amps Tongue

Date Posted: 01 January 2017 at 2:05pm
I have V1.09 if you need it

-------------
Kevin

North Staffordshire

Date Posted: 01 January 2017 at 3:31pm
can you send me or give download ling ,please?

Date Posted: 01 January 2017 at 4:17pm
where do you want me to send it

-------------
Kevin

North Staffordshire

Date Posted: 01 January 2017 at 10:24pm
thanks a lot

Posted By: voron
Date Posted: 11 January 2017 at 9:25am
kedwardsleisure, can you send me 1.09 firmware or give download link,please?

Posted By: voron
Date Posted: 22 February 2017 at 10:21am
Anybody can help me with crown xs 1.09 firmware?

Posted By: miguelarturo
Date Posted: 19 October 2020 at 7:52pm
Hi friend.
i see your conversation about crown xs firmware on forum.speakersplans.com and i need if you can provide me with that firmware. I live in Cuba I am repairing an xs 900 and it has a damaged pic, thanks in advance

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2023 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net