Forum Description: How Your Projects Perform
URL: https://forum.speakerplans.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=96161
Printed Date: 24 April 2024 at 1:51am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Volt FR220.1 HiFi Build
Posted By: vertx
Subject: Volt FR220.1 HiFi Build
Date Posted: 10 July 2016 at 9:24am
After opening up my old man's ears to good quality sound via some Audeze LCD-2s I offered to build him 
something for his living room.

As i'm not confident in passive crossover design I decided to give the Volt coax a try.

The cabinet is around 20L internal volume, tuned to 49hz. These drivers really do have a large rounded low end that is surprising for the size.

The cabinets have only roughly been put together just this weekend. General cabinet finishing will be next weekend.

Replies:
Posted By: supremesoundz
Date Posted: 10 July 2016 at 2:37pm
nice. I'll follow this closely as its on my to do list for this summer. Same driver in a 20l cab; is supposed to sound awesome

Posted By: Finjby
Date Posted: 10 July 2016 at 6:21pm
I too will be following this closely.... thanks for posting.  

Ive been tempted to make a trial MDF pair for home use, with the possibility of building some in birch with pole mounts etc.  and using them on small corporate/speech jobs if they perform as claimed. 
I would be looking at a 10L size, but interested to hear your thoughts on how your 20L's sound near field  vs. how they perform say 5m away. 

Posted By: njw
Date Posted: 11 July 2016 at 8:53pm
Very good, how will you be finshing the cabinets? Please tell me you won't be painting them and just applying a varnish or lacquer.  

Edit; And I've just noticed the old school Technics amp, I've got an early 80's su-v1x in my living room and it's one of the nicest sounding amps I've ever heard (if not the nicest). 

Date Posted: 13 July 2016 at 12:44pm
Finjby - Haven't done any analytical listening near field vs 5m away yet, just did a quick check everything was OK, at about 2-3m.

njw - yes the technics SU 7 has been great. I've had it for about 3-4 years now. Sounds great, I only wish it had more of that sweet sound than just the 2x80w !!

Gave the cabinets a sand over this evening to iron out the imperfections and round over the edges. Then a quick first coat of Danish Oil.

Posted By: dlyxover
Date Posted: 15 July 2016 at 10:40am
nice tidy build.
very nice
Smile 

-------------
In the Truth there is no news, and in the News there is no truth

Posted By: njw
Date Posted: 15 July 2016 at 5:29pm
Thumbs Up  

Great stuff!

Date Posted: 15 July 2016 at 10:28pm
Heading back over there today to get the last coat on and seal in the ports, more pics sometime this weekend!

Posted By: Keen
Date Posted: 16 July 2016 at 2:54pm
Jackson, Audeze LCD-2s!...you cheeky mofo, what amp?

nice build btw Thumbs Up

Date Posted: 18 July 2016 at 11:09am
Thanks man!

Using a Shiit Magni 2 Uber

Posted By: Keen
Date Posted: 18 July 2016 at 6:25pm
Sweet ;)

Posted By: bassdesigner
Date Posted: 18 July 2016 at 8:07pm
Unbelievable what this driver can do in such a small enclosure!

Date Posted: 24 July 2016 at 10:00am
Pictures updated. Enjoying these even more after a few listens!

Posted By: DMorison
Date Posted: 25 July 2016 at 1:19pm
Nice looking build Thumbs Up

Quick question, are those drivers just an older version of the http://www.voltloudspeakers.co.uk/loudspeakers/cx2201/" rel="nofollow - CX220.1 or are they some other model that I can't seem to find on t'internet of things please?

Cheers,
David.

Date Posted: 25 July 2016 at 1:27pm
Older version of the CX. Specs can be found in WinISD for the FR. I think the CD is different between the two? The newer CX didn't seem to sim as low but don't quote me on that...

Posted By: markie
Date Posted: 25 July 2016 at 3:06pm
I spoke to Volt about that, as I bought a job lot of 4 (3 x FRs and a single CX). They said the bass driver is identical but the CX has a different tweeter.

I was going to buy a tweeter but they also said the CX had a different crossover. Since I sold a pair of them to Jackson I now have one of each on my home system. Can't tell any difference with my old ears.

-------------
If it's got wheels or tits it's gonna cost a fortune

Posted By: DMorison
Date Posted: 26 July 2016 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by vertx vertx wrote:

Older version of the CX. Specs can be found in WinISD for the FR. I think the CD is different between the two? The newer CX didn't seem to sim as low but don't quote me on that...

Gotcha, thanks for the info.

Posted By: atcman
Date Posted: 29 October 2020 at 5:53pm
An old thread i know but just got some fr220.1 and are looking for cab dimensions the ones here look very good.

Posted By: Shortrope
Date Posted: 04 November 2020 at 7:24am
Volt have volume and ports size recommendations on their website, they work out well. 

-------------
My Tinnitus is coming along nicely!!

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2023 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net