Print Page | Close Window

Golden scan 2 to led

Printed From: Speakerplans.com
Category: Other Chat
Forum Name: Lighting Talk
Forum Description: All your lampy, laser and 'other' special FX needs....
URL: https://forum.speakerplans.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=96343
Printed Date: 19 April 2024 at 10:55pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Golden scan 2 to led
Posted By: Steve20131
Subject: Golden scan 2 to led
Date Posted: 02 August 2016 at 10:52pm
Conversion to 200w led

There bolted to 100mmx100mm aluminium billet but now has sinks n fans,  that was just for lining up and focus,   and cables all tidy now

Replies:
Date Posted: 02 August 2016 at 10:55pm
GS3 to 500w is going to be the beast...

n.b if anyone else does this the colimator lens that comes with the large leds you keep and place 22mm away from the double condenser lenses allready in the unit...that took a while.  Other than that an easy job 

Posted By: norty303
Date Posted: 03 August 2016 at 12:59pm
How are the dichroics with the LED source and the changed output spectrum?
Which LED unit did you use too?

-------------
My laser stuff: http://www.facebook.com/SubsonicSystems" rel="nofollow - Frikkin Lasers

Date Posted: 04 August 2016 at 5:13pm
Very rich,  as the hti.  I will do a side by side test when I'm at the workshop next to get really fussy but I'm well pleased,  even the uv lit up the garden well,  will suit my needs.  I may redesign it to clip in so I can put a 10w 12v chip in for programming (can be powered by the fan smps).  

The led is a epistar 22000 lumen 6000k 36v.  I think it's so bright because the lenses catch I would say 95% of the light whereas lots is lost in the fixture with the arc bulbs,  and why they get so hot

Posted By: kedwardsleisure
Date Posted: 04 August 2016 at 8:56pm
what would you say the material cost is of converting one of these?

-------------
Kevin

North Staffordshire

Date Posted: 06 August 2016 at 6:37pm
Hi norty,  I'm back in the workshop in september so will do a side by side and post it.  

Hi K.  Edwards roughly 190. The GS3 will be around 250 plus your time,   I would say around a day and a half but I did spend some extra time stripping it right down.  That was the first unit so the others will be less.  I know most would'nt bother but I do really like these and makes them long term cost effective for me.  With the arc bulbs not really something I could afford to play around with

I've also got rid of the iris which as channel 1 I can use on another fixture (24 ch desk in normal mode) :o)

Date Posted: 06 August 2016 at 6:50pm
Sorry no it's a Jands event 48 so will do all in normal mode I meant...

Posted By: woody2
Date Posted: 08 August 2016 at 12:55am
have you reduced the weight?Wink

in time laser light source is the future rather than led

Posted By: monkeypuzzle
Date Posted: 09 August 2016 at 12:47am
almost wishing I still had my stage scans.... full colour mixing.....

-------------
blah blah blah blah blah......

Date Posted: 18 August 2016 at 1:00pm
Now I've saved some more pennies just ordered the 500w led and power supply for GS3.  It's the same voltage (70) supply but less watts,  420.  I wanted to make it last longer and guarantee the supply does'nt over power it.

Incidentally the drop in light output is significantly less than the power reduction like for like,  apparently...??

Date Posted: 18 August 2016 at 1:19pm
& yes woody the weight is severely reduced Beer  Although the 2 is quite light (in context) to begin with,  the reason I bought them over the 3,  carried on my own.  I would chose smaller fixtures but the large leds require a sizeable optical path (from just my experience) to be of any use so the 2 ticked all boxes.

To make sense with the last post there is one GS3 and 7 GS2's.  But the 3 should be considerably lighter as well

Don't know lasers Confused  (probably in the best interest for all!!)

Date Posted: 25 August 2016 at 10:38pm
From power/dissipation calculation the GS3 case might not be big enough for a suitable heatsink and may need to be liquid cooled,  cool Tongue

Date Posted: 25 September 2016 at 7:37pm
Led first

Thermostat was on the led base plate.  Supposed to run between 55-60c so not too bad

Date Posted: 25 September 2016 at 7:42pm
The others will all be 300w and the gs3 500w but externally water cooled,  now waiting for parts.  I tried the 200w just for a test.  While moving them out the led version is way lighter!! a one man carry with the head on 

Posted By: bee
Date Posted: 25 September 2016 at 11:06pm
the led looks sharper with far less colour bleed. looks good.

-------------
https://www.elements-audio.com

Date Posted: 26 September 2016 at 8:00am
Thanks Smile getting there slowly

Date Posted: 26 September 2016 at 10:06am
Had an idea of complete dismantling,  the shells dipped and coated,  pcb's checked, flowed and any excess metals cut off...oh and replacing the low power transformer with smps...

Date Posted: 27 September 2016 at 1:49pm
No time the 500w is here Clap

Posted By: montarbo
Date Posted: 27 May 2021 at 2:53am
Hi Steve,
do you still have you LED Goldenscans?
I still have some Superscans left in my warehouse, couldn't give them away.
An LED mod might bring them back to business.
What LEDs and Optics did you use?

Posted By: djeddie
Date Posted: 27 May 2021 at 9:52pm
Originally posted by montarbo montarbo wrote:

Hi Steve,
do you still have you LED Goldenscans?
I still have some Superscans left in my warehouse, couldn't give them away.
An LED mod might bring them back to business.
What LEDs and Optics did you use?

He hasn't logged in since December 2018.

-------------
Chas n Dave : it's like Drum and Bass but with beards.             E=mc² ±3dB

Posted By: Bams
Date Posted: 28 December 2022 at 10:00pm
Digging up an old post but i suddenly woke up with 4 goldenscan 3’s in my shed (which is now completely stuffed with obsolete gear) from which 2 are in a semi-operational state.. lots of diodes and driver ic’s are going to be tested and swapped :). Has anybody got any leads on available cobled-boards to replace the HMI’s? When i start googling i end up on rather sketchy led-diy grow your own plant-sites..

Date Posted: 30 December 2022 at 11:26am
There's several places to get COBs from... but watch out for garbage ones, which are usually cheap and don't last long. Try the usual suspects like CPC, Farnell, RS etc.
I started, some years ago, to convert some Abstract Galactic Moons and three of the four 50W COBs I got have already gone. Gave up after that.
But there are lots of non-grow-your-own videos on YouTube. One to look for is BigClive who shows why cheap COBs (and LEDs) aren't worth the hassle.

-------------

Posted By: Bams
Date Posted: 02 January 2023 at 3:39pm
Thanks for the directions. the idea is mostly about saving weight, they will get only a few hours of use every year so in that view digging up some old stock lamps is cheaper and less hassle

Posted By: James Tengo
Date Posted: 02 January 2023 at 5:41pm
It's cooling you need to pay attention too, heat sink plus fans and COB can be done, heat is the killer. 

Date Posted: 08 January 2023 at 11:33am
True James, I managed it by removing the mahoosive transformers!

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2023 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net