Forum Description: Open Discussion / Questions
URL: https://forum.speakerplans.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=96789
Printed Date: 19 April 2024 at 9:12am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Lasers!!!!!
Posted By: nuclearbass
Subject: Lasers!!!!!
Date Posted: 02 October 2016 at 12:07pm
After some advice on what sort of budget we need to be looking at for a decent ish laser without spending more than we need ro.

Looking for something the the following capabilitys
- RGB
- a nice wide spread on charge coverage
- able to give a nice bright tight output with chink beams in a 2000 capacity venue
- control via ilda
- doesn't particularly have to scan any animations as it will be used for atmospherics for the majority, needs to be capable and tight on scanning text

Not up on lasers so I've probably missed a bit out...

Any one offer some advice.....

Cheers rich

-------------
one life - have fun!
Force fusion pro audio

Replies:
Posted By: Pasi
Date Posted: 02 October 2016 at 3:11pm
Give a call to Lee and tell my best regards to him.

http://www.laserworld.com/en/?option=com_content&view=article&id=1786&Itemid=905" rel="nofollow - https://www.laserworld.com/en/?option=com_content&view=article&id=1786&Itemid=905

He'll be more than happy to discuss about the option and pricing and you will not feel the pressure having to buy something. He is a great sales guy.

Date Posted: 02 October 2016 at 3:19pm
Cheers pasi
We have a couple of the cheap CS1000 from laserworkd which we're alright for the money but there not cutting it any more.

I'll give him a shout this week👍

-------------
one life - have fun!
Force fusion pro audio

Posted By: csg
Date Posted: 02 October 2016 at 7:31pm
i would personally avoid laserworld - some of their swisslas stuff is OK, but there is much better available from the likes of eightonlight or goldenstar for the same cash or less.

what kind of budget do you have - 2000 cap is a decent size...pm me if you want Rich.

-------------
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”

Date Posted: 02 October 2016 at 8:35pm
Originally posted by csg csg wrote:

i would personally avoid laserworld - some of their swisslas stuff is OK, but there is much better available from the likes of eightonlight or goldenstar for the same cash or less.

what kind of budget do you have - 2000 cap is a decent size...pm me if you want Rich.

Hi Chris we don't have a budget in mind we're looking at saving for 2 ready for the start of work next year, I know they don't come cheap so I thought I'd stick a post on here to see what input people have.

I'll drop you a text 👍

-------------
one life - have fun!
Force fusion pro audio

Posted By: Ray-j-17
Date Posted: 02 October 2016 at 11:08pm
id actually also be interested in some similar lasers.. so if you don't mind I'm just going to leave this comment here so I receive notifications ;-)

-------------
If music be the food of love, I mustn't have the right volume.

Posted By: jacethebase
Date Posted: 04 October 2016 at 10:30am
I'm thinking of selling my 4 watt golden star laser.

-------------
www.wedding-production.co.uk

www.stage2sound.com

Date Posted: 04 October 2016 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by jacethebase jacethebase wrote:

I'm thinking of selling my 4 watt golden star laser.

Sounds like a Chinky take away

-------------
one life - have fun!
Force fusion pro audio

Date Posted: 04 October 2016 at 12:54pm
Also what's people using to control them with

I can't get the effect I want out of DMX so I use ilda but then every laser does the same thing :/

-------------
one life - have fun!
Force fusion pro audio

Posted By: SamV
Date Posted: 04 October 2016 at 1:22pm
Pangolin

Date Posted: 04 October 2016 at 1:38pm
Originally posted by SamV SamV wrote:

Pangolin

That's what I use over ilda, can only controlled 1laser per interface though ?

-------------
one life - have fun!
Force fusion pro audio

Posted By: jacethebase
Date Posted: 04 October 2016 at 1:47pm
Pangolin with an fb3

-------------
www.wedding-production.co.uk

www.stage2sound.com

Date Posted: 04 October 2016 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by jacethebase jacethebase wrote:

Pangolin with an fb3

Unless you want them all to do the same you'd need more than 1 interface?

-------------
one life - have fun!
Force fusion pro audio

Posted By: norty303
Date Posted: 12 October 2016 at 5:23pm
Correct, because lasers run on analogue rather than digital.
I built a stage box for mine that holds 4x FB3 with 8 separate ILDA outputs and runs over cat5, and handles all of the estops too.

-------------
My laser stuff: http://www.facebook.com/SubsonicSystems" rel="nofollow - Frikkin Lasers

Posted By: gen0me
Date Posted: 02 April 2017 at 10:45am
How about ilda interfaces? Which one to choose? Can they all operate with all free software? Which software is the best? Basicly im looking for budget ilda + dmx interface. And if I use one intetface dmx + ilda than will I have to stick to one software operating both or can I have separate programs for that?

Date Posted: 03 April 2017 at 1:07pm
Interfaces are often tied to software (Pangolin for example, and their FB3 and FB4 and QM boards)

Some interfaces support a common driver that software such as LSX (and a few other branches of the same root code) can utilise.

Also, define 'budget'.
And also, what is the 'free' software of which you speak?
Any software/ILDA interface combo worth its salt for proper gigging is going to be a few hundred quid minimum, and all the way up to a few thousand for the high end stuff.

I'm not aware of a combined DMX and ILDA interface. A lot of people using ILDA software use the Enttec Pro DMX device as its supported by a lot of laser control software.

Personally, unless its a wholly synchronised pre-programmed show, most DMX implementation is clunky for lighting (passable for fog/haze and basic additions like effects wheels for lumia and suchlike)
Use a dedicated lighting desk/controller and use timecode if needed.

If you want to know more about lasers, visit photonlexicon.com/forum
It's basically speakerplans for lasers

-------------
My laser stuff: http://www.facebook.com/SubsonicSystems" rel="nofollow - Frikkin Lasers

Date Posted: 03 April 2017 at 7:34pm
Im gathering info so budget is open. Rather few hundreds than few k.
Thanks for the link.

Hmm. How much "power" do I have to have in lasers so it will dominate scene of 1500w halogens?

Edit
A lot of info there about electronic circuts and laser constructions, not much about ilda:(

Date Posted: 04 April 2017 at 5:13pm
There's loads about ILDA on PL
There are even threads comparing all of the software/hardware options compiled within the last 12 months I think. You're just going to have to search a bit for it.

If its anything to do with lasers, there's been a thread on PL about, often multiple times.

What specifically about 'ILDA' do you want to know?

ILDA is just an organisation (International Laser Display Association) that did some standards stuff years ago to provide the common connection for laser projectors, as well as file formats for frames (and other stuff...)

Elaborate more the halogens scene - audience facing? Used like blinders periodically, or on all the time?

Lasers can be easy to overpower, LED screens or anything high brightness behind them will ruin the contrast to black that makes lasers stand out. You're probably talking 8W+ though at an estimate, without any further info.

Bear in mind that lasers keep going a lot further than conventional lighting, so although against the stage they'll disappear, they'll be very visible further back.

-------------

Date Posted: 04 April 2017 at 9:03pm
1500W in moving heads(15dec dispersion) only. I will eliminate all the constant lighting.

Exactly this about ilda: file formmats, conversion to frames, animations, synchronization and so on. Basicly how does it work.

Date Posted: 05 April 2017 at 12:48pm
A lot of that stuff is software manufacturer specific.

So whilst most software supports import of ILD files, they often use their own proprietary formats for frames, animations, etc.
Some will allow export to ILD format, but many don't, as a way of protecting content that may be subject to copyright.

Likewise, most software will come with some sort of frame editor, some have much greater functionality for abstract/lissajou style frames, very well featured 3D editors (and plugins for mainstream £d apps like 3DMax)

Some support 'busking' type shows very well (when used with an interface), others are more about pre-programmed timeline shows - some do both.

Likewise, synchronization is not really ILDA specific, you'd use timecode, or integrate DMX cues into a timeline, or midi triggers to external things.
A lot of it is working out what you want to do, and how you can join up the stuff.

Pangolin now has 'head' personalities for common lighting consoles, so you can present either Beyond (the software) as a DMX device, or the FB4 ILDA controller itself. But you're into the pro end of things there, and will pay accordingly for the functionality.

In short, all the manufacturers take a different approach to laser control and content, so you'll need to look at the various offering in a bit of detail to see what they do.

-------------

Posted By: Ray-j-17
Date Posted: 05 April 2017 at 11:31pm
I don't know if this interests anyone but I'm going to please tomorrow, ill ask there if they have any ideas. :-)

-------------
If music be the food of love, I mustn't have the right volume.

Date Posted: 06 April 2017 at 9:20pm
Originally posted by norty303 norty303 wrote:

Some will allow export to ILD format, but many don't, as a way of protecting content that may be subject to copyright.

Likewise, most software will come with some sort of frame editor, some have much greater functionality for abstract/lissajou style frames, very well featured 3D editors (and plugins for mainstream £d apps like 3d Max

Yes thats what im looking for! Any support of blender or maya?

Date Posted: 07 April 2017 at 2:04pm
Pangolin Beyond 3D supports FBX and SVG import, which I believe Blender supports, but you're into ~$2k for the version that has 3D in.

Try searching blender on PL, there's a Blender to SVG converter available, and there may be other cheaper software options that support import of it. It's a bit out of my sphere of knowledge.

You could always start a thread, there are definitely people with animation knowledge who are doing/have done similar things, and often on a limited budget

-------------

Posted By: kevinmcdonough
Date Posted: 14 April 2019 at 12:03pm
hey

Always fun to drag up an old thread! LOL

I'm looking at possibly getting a couple of lasers from Goldenstar, and just wanted to ask a quick question about control. 

At least initially, i wouldn't need live control of the lasers. They'd be running a few preset "scenes" for want of a better term along with a lighting package. I note that many have memory card slots in them that you can save designs onto, and often have DMX on them as well. 

Of course the obvious answer would be to read the manual, and I've emailed the company to try and get a copy. But in the mean time, do these types of lasers generally allow you to save a few pre-made scenes on the memory card, and then trigger these at the right time with DMX?  

While I would invest in Pangolin or other proper control systems down the line, initially it would make the investment a little easier if I could work this way to begin for some pre-programmed shows, and then worry about that later. 

K

Date Posted: 15 April 2019 at 12:21pm
The SD card readers usually allow you to load a basic format ILD file format, and an index file, which can then be selected and basically manipulated via DMX.
They are old, simple functionality, and one of the biggest obstacles can be finding out which ILD file format is supported.
If you ask the question on PL, someone will tell you what the file format is, and suggestions for how you might generate them.
I think James Lehman ('James') has Laserboy which is free, and he's almost guaranteed to respond to your thread recommending his product.

The other cost effective solution might be to get the Moncha lite DAC built in, I think they have an SD card, and it's pretty cheap.

If you have no joy with a response (they're big now and get very busy) get in touch with me and I'll put you in touch with John's sister Winni who used to do GS sales, but now runs her own lighting company. You can buy through her too, and I find her much easier to get hold of.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2023 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net