Print Page | Close Window

New 4 channel amp

Printed From: Speakerplans.com
Category: General
Forum Name: Amp Forum
Forum Description: The 'Stopping Jake Fielder moaning constantly' forum description...
URL: https://forum.speakerplans.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=97472
Printed Date: 18 April 2024 at 7:15pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: New 4 channel amp
Posted By: midas
Subject: New 4 channel amp
Date Posted: 08 January 2017 at 7:18pm
Anyone else noticed Blue Aran listing their own branded 4 channel amps???

-------------
In bass no one can hear you scream!

Replies:
Posted By: knet94
Date Posted: 08 January 2017 at 8:58pm
http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=JMSQ10&browsemode=manufacturer%20" rel="nofollow - http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=JMSQ10&browsemode=manufacturer

Posted By: Sheggy
Date Posted: 08 January 2017 at 9:26pm
2R Hmmm. We'll see.
S

Posted By: TMH Music
Date Posted: 08 January 2017 at 11:46pm
Bloomin' heck!!! 10Kw for under £900?!! Pictures please!! If the specs stack up this could be a game changer.

-------------
Nothing is foolproof because fools are so ingenious

Posted By: Hvedstrup
Date Posted: 09 January 2017 at 8:29am
Why such a odd voltage gain? 40db?

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 09 January 2017 at 8:49am
PFC?

Posted By: U.Viktor
Date Posted: 09 January 2017 at 9:06am
No detailed specifications sheet, No internal / rear pictures?
I smell "China works" inside :-D

Posted By: levyte357-
Date Posted: 09 January 2017 at 12:17pm
Originally posted by knet94 knet94 wrote:

http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=JMSQ10&browsemode=manufacturer%20" rel="nofollow - http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=JMSQ10&browsemode=manufacturer

Originally posted by <font color='#0000FF'>http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=JMSQ10&browsemode=manufacturer%20 rel=nofollow</font> - http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=JMSQ10&browsemode=manufacturer http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=JMSQ10&browsemode=manufacturer%20 rel=nofollow - http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=JMSQ10&browsemode=manufacturer wrote:

]
JAM Systems Q10 :: 4 x 2500W

A high-performance range of professional use switch-mode power amplifiers, delivering outstanding premium power from a compact package. Its elegant 1U-footprint reduces rack space and cost, and weighing in at a shade over 10kg, set-up and breakdown of your stage is quicker and easier. Thoughtfully-designed recessed stepped attenuators make for easy and precise matching of gain structures, and a completely modular channel architecture means that each of the four channels has its own dedicated power supply for ultimate stability, with zero crosstalk or interference between channels. Employing a classic pulse-width modulation design, high switch-mode frequency and precise controlling of deadtime makes for exceptionally low distortion, surpassing the quality of traditional transformer-based amplifier designs. The high efficiency power supply is kind to the environment and ensures weight is kept to a minimum, with a circuit tailored for reliability that helps make sure your amplifier will continue to provide you with driving power time after time.

Specifications:

• Number of channels: 4
  • Output Power (all channels driven, THD = 1%) 8 ohms: 4 x 1100W
  • Output Power (all channels driven, THD = 1%) 4 ohms: 4 x 2200W
  • Output Power (all channels driven, THD = 1%) 2 ohms: 4 x 2500W
  • Frequency response (@8 ohms): 20Hz - 20kHz, +/-0.3dB

Those specs would make this effectively, more powerful than Inf8MK2.

-------------
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.

Posted By: cravings
Date Posted: 09 January 2017 at 12:53pm
the biamp one looks pretty useful too.

Posted By: midas
Date Posted: 09 January 2017 at 1:30pm
Now, Andy, if you can just add a Q5 to the list. I will have one Q5 and 2 x Q10, thank you...lol.

Not a bad little system then, 4 x TMS3's and 8 twin reflex 18's.
1 x Q5
2 x Q10
2 x PKN5002

Then I can stop spending money.....

-------------
In bass no one can hear you scream!

Date Posted: 09 January 2017 at 1:39pm
Originally posted by midas midas wrote:

Now, Andy, if you can just add a Q5 to the list. I will have one Q5 and 2 x Q10, thank you...lol.

Remember amplifier specs are not Gospel..

Would suspect those supplied, are measured at 1khz, burst. Wink

-------------

Posted By: osse
Date Posted: 09 January 2017 at 2:03pm
A bit more useful info on the other amp from the same brand.

http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?product=JAM_Systems_B8_::_2_x_2500W_-_2_x_1600W_bi-amp&id=JMSB8" rel="nofollow - http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?product=JAM_Systems_B8_::_2_x_2500W_-_2_x_1600W_bi-amp&id=JMSB8

Short term pulse power ratings

Even if the 20-30% lower long term claim can handle sub at 2 ohm they are very good

Posted By: toastyghost
Date Posted: 09 January 2017 at 3:31pm
Originally posted by levyte357- levyte357- wrote:

Originally posted by knet94 knet94 wrote:

Originally posted by [URL=http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=JMSQ10&browsemode=manufacturer%20 [URL=http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=JMSQ10&browsemode=manufacturer%20 wrote:

http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=JMSQ10&browsemode=manufacturer]
[/URL]<div id="fulltitle1" style="font-weight: bold;">JAM Systems Q10 :: 4 x 2500W
<div id="info1">A
high-performance range of professional use switch-mode power
amplifiers, delivering outstanding premium power from a compact package.
Its elegant 1U-footprint reduces rack space and cost, and weighing in
at a shade over 10kg, set-up and breakdown of your stage is quicker and
easier. Thoughtfully-designed recessed stepped attenuators make for easy
and precise matching of gain structures, and a completely modular
channel architecture means that each of the four channels has its own
dedicated power supply for ultimate stability, with zero crosstalk or
interference between channels. Employing a classic pulse-width
modulation design, high switch-mode frequency and precise controlling of
deadtime makes for exceptionally low distortion, surpassing the quality
of traditional transformer-based amplifier designs. The high efficiency
power supply is kind to the environment and ensures weight is kept to a
minimum, with a circuit tailored for reliability that helps make sure
your amplifier will continue to provide you with driving power time
after time.

Specifications:

<ul ="with_dots">
  • Number of channels: 4
  • Output Power (all channels driven, THD = 1%) 8 ohms: 4 x 1100W
  • Output Power (all channels driven, THD = 1%) 4 ohms: 4 x 2200W
  • Output Power (all channels driven, THD = 1%) 2 ohms: 4 x 2500W
  • Frequency response (@8 ohms): 20Hz - 20kHz, +/-0.3dB

• Those specs would make this effectively, more powerful than Inf8MK2.

Not sure how you make that conclusion - it doesn't suggest they can be bridged, and it gives out less wattage at 4r per ch. And yeah, no indication of what process was used to get those ratings. EIAJ? Would say if so…

Date Posted: 09 January 2017 at 3:39pm
    Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

Not sure how you make that conclusion - it doesn't suggest they can be bridged, and it gives out less wattage at 4r per ch. And yeah, no indication of what process was used to get those ratings. EIAJ? Would say if so…

Of course.

Did say "effectively", but omitted "in theory"..

You know I'm a "bit" of an '8 groupie, so thought you might have detected, the invisible "tongue in cheek".. LOL

-------------

Posted By: nickyburnell
    Date Posted: 09 January 2017 at 4:16pm
    Same money as used FFA on a lucky eBay day. Seems nice to me.   Is it Chinese, or re-badged Chinese, or UK design Chinese or do I sense a bit of Matrix here?

-------------
    It's everything, not everythink!

Posted By: rosssss224
    Date Posted: 09 January 2017 at 4:20pm
    Same folk as T.amp?

edit: actually doubt it

Posted By: smitske96
    Date Posted: 09 January 2017 at 4:34pm
    Pl audio from Germany has a amplifier that looks exactly the same.. (D10.4)

Posted By: rosssss224
    Date Posted: 09 January 2017 at 4:37pm
    here we go
    http://pl-audio.de/produkte/endstufen/d-10-4/" rel="nofollow - http://pl-audio.de/produkte/endstufen/d-10-4/

Date Posted: 09 January 2017 at 4:47pm
    KAM?

Posted By: MarjanM
    Date Posted: 09 January 2017 at 7:40pm
    Why is it important what is it? Either it works, or not.

-------------
    Marjan Milosevic
    MM-Acoustics
    www.mm-acoustics.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713

Posted By: concept-10
    Date Posted: 09 January 2017 at 7:54pm
    Originally posted by MarjanM MarjanM wrote:

Why is it important what is it? Either it works, or not.

This

Posted By: Andy Kos
    Date Posted: 09 January 2017 at 8:30pm

Originally posted by midas midas wrote:

Remember amplifier specs are not Gospel..

Would suspect those supplied, are measured at 1khz, burst. Wink

Correct, the maximum power is EIAJ burst rating at 1khz (sames as most other class D amplifiers on the market)

We're working on getting some more accurate measurements done for continuous at 1khz, and probably also a 40-80 hz test.

If Im honest, the 2 ohm power rating is there just because everyone else has them - I dont think I would recommend 2 ohm operation. 

If we didnt use EIAJ power ratings, and include 2 ohm, they would immediately look inferior to every other amplifier on the market that uses the same ratings.

-------------
    just a guy with a warehouse and a few speakers... www.bluearan.co.uk

Date Posted: 09 January 2017 at 8:36pm
    In case of any confusion, there is NO bridge mode. 

The unit has four separate amp modules inside, each with it's own dedicated PSU, and each module is individually fused. Unfortunately there doesnt appear to be any PFC on these, they are relatively basic amps intended to hit a certain price point. 

-------------

Posted By: luton_soundman
    Date Posted: 09 January 2017 at 8:52pm
    I think the risk of looking inferior should outweigh the risk of publishing 2r specs to show it is 2 ohm stable when you know in yourself you shouldnt do it and wouldnt recommend it.

-------------
    Sound Hire/Sales new/used equipment.

Date Posted: 09 January 2017 at 9:05pm
    Originally posted by luton_soundman luton_soundman wrote:

I think the risk of looking inferior should outweigh the risk of publishing 2r specs to show it is 2 ohm stable when you know in yourself you shouldnt do it and wouldnt recommend it.

fair point.

I wasnt quite ready to 'launch' the product, but it seems people found it before I was ready. I may take the 2 ohm ratings out of the description.

At this point, where its a new product, I cant be sure exactly what the long term performance is like on a 2 ohm load - but equally I know that very few people actually manage to give an amp a 2 ohm load, especially on bass frequencies where the impedance of an 8 ohm driver can rise to 30 ohms or more.

If you look at the specs though, the power difference between 4 ohm  and 8 ohm is nominal - there is little or no benefit from 2 ohm operation.

the 'numbers' game is in full effect in the industry though, you might score brownie points by being 110% honest, but when nobody else is, it becomes a tough call.

-------------

Posted By: Dutchman
    Date Posted: 09 January 2017 at 10:02pm
    Specs listed with THD = 1% hmm...

But happy to hear from people who actually used them!

-------------
    We need more SPL!

Date Posted: 09 January 2017 at 10:35pm
    Originally posted by Dutchman Dutchman wrote:

Specs listed with THD = 1% hmm...

But happy to hear from people who actually used them!

THD of 1% is basically at clip.

-------------

Date Posted: 09 January 2017 at 11:03pm
    Would be very honorable, to remove 2 ohm specs, or even better, state 2 ohm not recommended.

Also useful, would be burst spec,  output power, all channels driven at 4 ohms,  100hz, 500hz, 1khz, 10khz .

Would not think many expect to use this for dedicated sub, all channels, but an idea of performance, on kick upwards, would be very useful.

£800 for basically 2x mid or kick amps, is jolly good.

Any chance of > 1x year warranty ?

-------------

Date Posted: 09 January 2017 at 11:12pm

Would be very honorable, to remove 2 ohm specs, or even better, state 2 ohm not recommended.

Agreed - this is currently under discussion. The unit will work at 2 ohms, but we have not yet conducted long term testing. Perhaps for now we will remove the 2 ohm specs and/or reword the description.

Also useful, would be burst spec,  output power, all channels driven at 4 ohms,  100hz, 500hz, 1khz, 10khz .

We have some of this information - but are still collating a full data set, considering sending a unit off for external testing.

Whether one or all 4 channels are driven is irrelevant, as each channel has an independent switched mode PSU.

Would not think many expect to use this for dedicated sub, all channels, but an idea of performance, on kick upwards, would be very useful.

Agreed - we're not plugging this as a sub amp. In fact my main focus is the bi-amp wired option which has two different amp modules inside. This will work for 2-way active mid-highs and monitor wedges, etc

£800 for basically 2x mid or kick amps, is jolly good.

Any chance of > 1x year warranty ?

Possibly, maybe, probably. Warranty is often a numbers game, a certain %age of issues is expected. The longer the warranty, the higher the %age of issues. Longer warranty is possible, but would be subject to Ts and Cs and still needs a little thought.

The amps have been with us less than a week - we werent actually quite ready for them to be dissected in quite such detail quite so quickly.

Hopefully will have all the answers very, very soon.

-------------

Date Posted: 09 January 2017 at 11:23pm
    well in fairness, they are listed on your site for sale.. so hey have been launched, so yeah, they will be discussed.

i think they look useful and good value. nice one.

Date Posted: 09 January 2017 at 11:23pm
    Originally posted by Andy Kos Andy Kos wrote:

Whether one or all 4 channels are driven is irrelevant, as each channel has an independent switched mode PSU.

Very interesting.

This makes it worth holding off on buying used Amps.

Any chance of you supplying the 2U version of this?
    Also are the amps ventilation back to front, or vice versa?

-------------

Date Posted: 09 January 2017 at 11:35pm
    Originally posted by cravings cravings wrote:

well in fairness, they are listed on your site for sale.. so hey have been launched, so yeah, they will be discussed.

i think they look useful and good value. nice one.

You are correct - normally if we're not ready we leave the product in hidden/archived mode - in hind sight, we should have probably done that with this product.

We often add new products and work on the tech specs/images quietly in the background without anyone noticing.

What's happened here is the first test  batch have arrived early... and triggered a course of events.

-------------

Posted By: osse
    Date Posted: 09 January 2017 at 11:36pm
    If you think about sending to external test, maybe send one to abeltronics? Would give a fair judgement

Posted By: Dutchman
    Date Posted: 09 January 2017 at 11:48pm
    To be fair, measuring watts at clip level will inflate the numbers big time.
    But very smart idea to have speakon plate with phoenix connectors! Really smart!!
    It makes life easy.

-------------
    We need more SPL!

Date Posted: 09 January 2017 at 11:55pm
    Originally posted by Dutchman Dutchman wrote:

To be fair, measuring watts at clip level will inflate the numbers big time.

Problem is, everyone is doing this. If you don't do something similar, you don't get noticed.

I wont mention brands, but you only need to take a quick look at the multitudes of active speakers out there with power ratings of 1000W, 1500W, 2000W, etc when the real power is often less than half, and sometimes as little as a quarter. People are buying these kinds of things all the time, and actually think (for example) that they have a 2000W 12" subwoofer, when we all know they dont.

Somewhere in all of this I need to pitch products in such a way as to appeal to a broad range of people, and then in the finer details - give the accurate, specific information that the pro audio market needs to assess the product.

-------------

Posted By: GAZ.
    Date Posted: 10 January 2017 at 12:29am
    I'd like to test one. Numbers these days can be meaningless. For me if an amp gives the sound I want, at the levels I want,and does so without complaining and can be relied upon in real world situations to not go bang, then it's a good amp.

-------------
    100% Earth Moving Bass

Date Posted: 10 January 2017 at 1:26am
    If there's no PFC then I would strongly recommend a proper datasheet or manual for max peak current draw. People popping breakers or taking kit out with a bunch on a small generator will be a nightmare especially given the price bracket and therefore the likely market they'll sell to!

Posted By: njw
    Date Posted: 21 January 2017 at 10:00pm
    Anyone taken the plunge and tried one of these out yet then? Any customer feedback Andy?

Date Posted: 22 January 2017 at 6:21pm
    We've decided to field test these ourselves to see how they perform, we should have a better idea of performance in around 3-4 weeks time.

-------------

Posted By: t.geessounds
    Date Posted: 23 January 2017 at 4:23am

Date Posted: 23 January 2017 at 11:23am
    Are you kidding? All these are << 500W modules.
    Even EIAJ 1KHz 8:32 Burst rating would need lot more capacitors for 2500W,
    maybe it can deliver that on 10KHz?:-D

Would not be surprised to see the cheapish IR's IRS29XX *car-radio* frreoscillating class-D core inside without real output feedback just like most of very low level switching amps!

Posted By: t.geessounds
    Date Posted: 23 January 2017 at 12:12pm
    sorry for so much pic was loading them on my phone an never know they was loading

Date Posted: 23 January 2017 at 12:12pm
    Pascal X-pro1 is 2500W at 4 ohms and have even less capacitors. ;-)

-------------
    Marjan Milosevic
    MM-Acoustics
    www.mm-acoustics.com

Date Posted: 23 January 2017 at 12:45pm
    Originally posted by U.Viktor U.Viktor wrote:

Are you kidding? All these are << 500W modules.
    Even EIAJ 1KHz 8:32 Burst rating would need lot more capacitors for 2500W,
    maybe it can deliver that on 10KHz?:-D

Would not be surprised to see the cheapish IR's IRS29XX *car-radio* frreoscillating class-D core inside without real output feedback just like most of very low level switching amps!

We have bench tested these modules, and although we don't quite have the right equipment, we were getting measurements over 2000W pulse into 4 ohms.

With a constant load sine wave we were getting somewhere around 1400W.

Certainly more than 500W.

I'm not claiming these amps are top of the range, they are clearly built to hit a certain price point, but if they deliver what's needed at that price point? then who is complaining?

I used to sell truck loads of Behringer amps before the distribution model changed, love em or hate em, they sold well...

-------------

Posted By: Shortrope
    Date Posted: 23 January 2017 at 1:20pm
    But they're not PKN....Wink

-------------
    My Tinnitus is coming along nicely!!

Date Posted: 23 January 2017 at 2:02pm
    Originally posted by Shortrope Shortrope wrote:

Sure It is not PKN, PKN is Hungarian but this is smell *ChinaWORX*  :-D

Let me find pictures what a real 4 channel amp look inside, which has the power, protections, real cooling, etc..

Date Posted: 23 January 2017 at 2:05pm
    There are also 3 different versions of this amp, with three different power ratings, I'm not sure which one is in the picture, but it may not be the highest power one.

-------------

Posted By: mini-mad
    Date Posted: 23 January 2017 at 4:55pm

Originally posted by Shortrope Shortrope wrote:

Sure It is not PKN, PKN is Hungarian but this is smell *ChinaWORX*  :-D

Let me find pictures what a real 4 channel amp look inside, which has the power, protections, real cooling, etc..

viktor... you're getting boring now "I'll show you a REAL amp...." ffs

-------------
    If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.

Date Posted: 23 January 2017 at 5:05pm
    Did you not know these are in fact fake amplifiers and not real amplifiers? Designed using alternative reality alternative facts as per current standards.

-------------

Date Posted: 23 January 2017 at 5:13pm
    viktor didn't bring up pkn in this thread either..

Posted By: MattStolton
    Date Posted: 23 January 2017 at 5:56pm
    Originally posted by luton_soundman luton_soundman wrote:

Ideally, I would agree with you.

However, Andy has to "compete" with people selling things less than honestly, and people are sucked in by fake specs, in much the same way as they are sucked in by fake news!

This is is why virtually all punters who walk into a (my) disco shop, ask for speakers by the wattage, and not the SPL. So everyone sells speakers by wattage, even though good 300W cabs, will out perform most 10000W PMPO cabs! However, there is a certain "demographic" that will insist their Norfolk Reds outperform a TMS4 box....Try and argue the toss with them, and they walk off and spend their money elsewhere....Being correct means you end up bankrupt, and some lieing fugger makes the money.

Marketing is all about making the truth fit your products perception and price point, and, lets be honest, plenty of those marketing depts. plainly lie. I doubt Andy has time to get caught out, so has published what he has been initially "told", which, perhaps accidentally, got into public domain, before he has time to verify.

Those of us in the know, never trust anything published from China, as they often haven't measured it. The problem is, there are plenty of peeps selling stuff, say through the bay or similar, who don't know what they are selling, and don't know whether it is true or not, and don't care. "Says it on the packaging, mate, innit tho"...

I don't think Blue Aran fall into that category! I'm sure, once actually given a good thrashing and measurement, these will offer a fair price for performance, just the actual performance may be a little different from the chinese spec.

Case in point - Berry Belch Fires. For the money, amazing, they have issues, don't quite meet spec, and nasty mains draw, but still amazing for the money. I would prefer anything PowerSoft, but anyone can afford berry! Have to compromise somewhere, which means running berry realistically for price point, and not expecting it to be as "resilient" as a PowerSoft, or other pro touring bit of gear.

The problem stems from the sort of body who can only afford a budget berry, or other chinese knock offs, may not have the knowledge of how to run if safely.

Icky race to the bottom.

-------------
    Matt Stolton - Technical Director (!!!) - http://www.wildingsound.co.uk" rel="nofollow - Wilding Sound Ltd
    "Sparkius metiretur vestra" - "Meter Your Mains"

Date Posted: 23 January 2017 at 6:41pm
    This amp does/will run 2 ohm, and from initial tests I wouldnt have any issues running mid-high with high-ish crest factor on this amp.  It has sufficient voltage rails for  the dynamics for mid-high, and doesn't seems to show any signs of overheating at 2 ohms in this application.

I do however, know how some people run their subs, and the type of music they run, and how they set compressors/limiters, etc - thats a completely different kettle of fish and is much more demanding in terms of long term current demands, and this is why Im a little hesitant in recommening this for SUB use at 2 ohms. In fact I wouldnt recommend it for sub use - as its almost certain it will run very hot.

But if you ask a group of pro audio users, you will find many will recommend against 2 ohm use at full power on sub duty. Despite the amps 'officially' being 'capable'  - its not the best idea.

More tests to follow, but as mentioned above by Matt - this amp is more aimed at the budget end of the market, so the power specs are pitched accordingly to align themselves with competing amplifiers. 

Trouble is, how do you spec a budget amp thats 'sort of' OK for 2 ohms.

This isnt intended to take on Powersoft.

-------------

Date Posted: 23 January 2017 at 7:30pm
    Before speaking about what power on which load it can deliver I would love to see two small things:

1. An UNLOADED freqency plot from 6KHz up to 30KHz around half of max. output signal level. 1KHz full square wave would be interesting too..
       Unloaded = No load on the output just the measurement probes

2. 6dB overload with EIAJ standard test signal Unloaded.

Thats is. Then we should move forward.

Posted By: Earplug
    Date Posted: 23 January 2017 at 7:41pm
    "The problem stems from the sort of body who can only afford a budget berry, or other chinese knock offs, may not have the knowledge of how to run if safely.

Icky race to the bottom."

+1

I do wonder sometimes how people like Thomann survive with their 3 year guarantee. Given the number of real idiots there are out there running systems, etc. you'd think that it would be suicide to offer anything like that.

And anyone with a small rig that wants to run their subs at 2 ohms off a cheapo amp should really go find something else to occupy their time.  Dead

-------------
    Earplugs Are For Wimps!

Date Posted: 23 January 2017 at 8:46pm
    Are you seriousley expecting in depth data of a chinese 4 channel amp that cost 800 pounds?
    Are you expecting Powersoft X4 results?
    Gimme a break will ya. Its a cheap budget amp. Not more, not less.
    Neither is Bluearran claiming anything different.

-------------
    Marjan Milosevic
    MM-Acoustics
    www.mm-acoustics.com

Date Posted: 24 January 2017 at 8:58am

Are you seriousley expecting in depth data of a chinese 4 channel amp that cost 800 pounds?

+1

Posted By: jbl_man
    Date Posted: 24 January 2017 at 9:32am
    +2
     Love these threads. People getting worked up about a budget amp,wether it will do 2 ohms,or comparing it to amps costing three times the amount. Great entertainment lads,keep it up! LOL

-------------
    Be seeing you.

Posted By: jbl_man
    Date Posted: 24 January 2017 at 9:41am
    Originally posted by Earplug Earplug wrote:

I do wonder sometimes how people like Thomann survive with their 3 year guarantee. Given the number of real idiots there are out there running systems, etc. you'd think that it would be suicide to offer anything like that.

And anyone with a small rig that wants to run their subs at 2 ohms off a cheapo amp should really go find something else to occupy their time.  Dead

Yes,agreed! The number of times this comes up,a whole mish-mash of different cabinets and drivers,asking which budget amp they should buy,will it do 2 ohms bridged,etc etc etc.

It's all very amusing!

-------------
    Be seeing you.

Posted By: Mark James
    Date Posted: 24 January 2017 at 9:48am
    can you bridge it over the river kwai?

-------------
    me so horny me love you long throw
    horn loaded for her pleasure

Date Posted: 24 January 2017 at 10:00am
    Originally posted by jbl_man jbl_man wrote:

+2
     Love these threads. People getting worked up about a budget amp,wether it will do 2 ohms,or comparing it to amps costing three times the amount. Great entertainment lads,keep it up! LOL

-------------

Posted By: WILLZTHRILLZ
    Date Posted: 24 January 2017 at 10:02am
    Fuch,,,,,,, just choked on my beer !!!!!!Clap

Posted By: Joe Grime
    Date Posted: 24 January 2017 at 10:03am
    Originally posted by Mark James Mark James wrote:

can you bridge it over the river kwai?

No, it will start to whistle.

Date Posted: 24 January 2017 at 10:11am
    LOL!!!

-------------

Date Posted: 24 January 2017 at 10:29am
    Originally posted by MattStolton MattStolton wrote:

Try and argue the toss with them, and they walk off and spend their money elsewhere....Being correct means you end up bankrupt, and some lieing fugger makes the money.

This is becoming a bigger and bigger issue.

The more honest you are, the easier it is for someone to lie and make their product seem superior.

Where Watts, SPL, etc have become a bit of an arms race in this industry, the manufacturers are getting in on the game, to the point that as a dealer you feel obliged to disect the information supplied and turn it into something meaningful which isnt an outright lie.

If you build/supply a ground breaking product thats top of the range, sure people will admire it - but if you give it a top of the range price too, first thing people do is compare it to the cheapest crap they can dredge out of ebay, because 'on paper' they appear to be comparable.

We dont plan to make this amp available for sale until its been thoroughly tested, and at that point we will do our best to publish a 'real world' set of figures which are actually meaningful and not just eye-catching. Sure we'll include something to big it up and make people take notice, otherwise we wont sell any, but as far as possible it will all be based on fact.

-------------

Date Posted: 24 January 2017 at 10:44am
    so what you mean is a continual output at a sensible frequency as well as the burst figures?
    and what about bridging over the kwai? some people might need to

-------------

Date Posted: 24 January 2017 at 10:54am

The Powersoft X4 is a particuliary bad comparasion. While you think you have "20K" as twice of the K10 in a box, this is NOT the case.

The Powersoft X4 is as bad as cheap chinesee in terms of power (peak to sustained ratios!) however you do not see it due fancy DSP until try to deliver some demanding tones on larger speakers.
    DSP diverts your attention from the amplifier itself, but do not forget the main function would be an amp!

The Powersoft K10 has at least 5500W capability power supply for the 10K output,
    while the X4 measured 4KW(400V 3PH!) for 20KW!?

Date Posted: 24 January 2017 at 11:06am
    Yeah right.

-------------
    Marjan Milosevic
    MM-Acoustics
    www.mm-acoustics.com

Date Posted: 24 January 2017 at 11:11am
    Originally posted by Mark James Mark James wrote:

so what you mean is a continual output at a sensible frequency as well as the burst figures?
    and what about bridging over the kwai? some people might need to

We're struggling on the river kwai bit - we do however have a small puddle outside the fire exit, and we could test it over that.

We're hoping/planning to get a UK measure EIAJ rating at 2,4,8 ohms as per standards, and then also continuous sine wave at 1khz (common standard), again at 2,4 and 8 ohms.

Finally we will try to get some sort of rating for 'sub use' 20hz -200hz at 4 and 8 ohms. 

It should atleast give some meaningful data.

-------------

Posted By: Elliot Thompson
    Date Posted: 24 January 2017 at 11:28am
    Originally posted by jbl_man jbl_man wrote:

+2

That's what happens when a few feel threatened of competition. Since Class D amplifiers are inexpensive to design and, are known from the manufacture's marketing team to promote burst ratings to the point of brainwashing a good portion of their customers, it was only a matter of time before the Asian market would capitalise on it. 

Interesting enough, the Behringer INUKE 12000 (Non DSP) will be available in February of 2017 to purchase in which you can pre-order now for $600.00 in the States. And rest assure, those with connections will get them cheaper than that brand new in the box. 

In order to stay competitive in this market companies will have to focus on their on-board computer networks in their amplifiers for high burst rated wattage figures, cannot dictate an astronomical price for an amplifier anymore. 

Best Regards,

-------------
    Elliot Thompson

Date Posted: 24 January 2017 at 1:35pm
    The upside to all this is that you can pick up some amazing bargains on old amps that people now find "too heavy" to carry around. In the last few months I've practically been gifted 1 x Amcron Microtech 600, 2 x Harrison P900's and 4 x JBL MX1200's.  Smile

-------------
    Earplugs Are For Wimps!

Date Posted: 24 January 2017 at 1:38pm
    i just sold 2 inf8v2 for £1700 as well. but not because lightweights do a better job, purely in the quest for efficiency

Date Posted: 24 January 2017 at 3:43pm
    Originally posted by Earplug Earplug wrote:

The upside to all this is that you can pick up some amazing bargains on old amps that people now find "too heavy" to carry around. In the last few months I've practically been gifted 1 x Amcron Microtech 600, 2 x Harrison P900's and 4 x JBL MX1200's.  Smile

Nice!

I picked up a few bargains on a few old amplifiers as well. Smile

Crown XLS 900: £91.00

Crown Powertech 3: £114.00

Crown Powertech 3: £119.00

Crown Com-Tech 200: £29.00 

Thats with shipping! Clap

Best Regards, 

-------------
    Elliot Thompson

Date Posted: 24 January 2017 at 5:36pm
    One thing about all this iNuke stuff.  It's obviously aimed at low end users, lets not let time pacify, they look hideous and are built to a price. They also aim the marketing at the PMPO brigade and use low end connectors etc. Despite this many a semi-pro user says they do the job. Would it not then make sense to do a better version, normal looking, proper connectors, quieter fans, a few more internal components, protection and market it with real RMS?  Another 100/150 quid on the price?

There is deffo a gap in the market here.  Berry seem content to leave the semi pro with the EP range.

-------------

Date Posted: 24 January 2017 at 5:43pm
    If you would advertise with real RMS figures, almost every new high power amp would look bad..

The best thing would be, that all manufactures will use the same measuring method and conditions.

Date Posted: 24 January 2017 at 6:10pm
    To make a *car amp core* device like INUKE is easy and cheap.

To make a real professional high power amp with decent sustained power ratings is exceptionally difficult and VERY expensive!
    There are just really few good amps on the market, yet with compromises!

I have some connections with amp and industrial inverter/psu manufacturers. Just a single decent power supply contains twice as many components than complete INUKE.

Posted By: jammin75
    Date Posted: 24 January 2017 at 6:13pm
    Originally posted by nickyburnell nickyburnell wrote:

One thing about all this iNuke stuff.  It's obviously aimed at low end users, lets not let time pacify, they look hideous and are built to a price. They also aim the marketing at the PMPO brigade and use low end connectors etc. Despite this many a semi-pro user says they do the job. Would it not then make sense to do a better version, normal looking, proper connectors, quieter fans, a few more internal components, protection and market it with real RMS?  Another 100/150 quid on the price?

There is deffo a gap in the market here.  Berry seem content to leave the semi pro with the EP range.

yes they dont look all that when u lift them up weigh about the same as 48 box weetabix LOL but for price with on board dsp and power ouput puts a lot of amps to shame they are reliable too yes i wud pay more for a better version but inuke 6000dsp is good for a lot applications we see if mine lasts the full 3 years Big smile

-------------
    feel the vibes !!!   "Who Feels it Knows it"            Strong like Lion              

Date Posted: 24 January 2017 at 7:00pm
    Thomann 3 year guarantee is going to be hard to beat.
    I wish you well Andy

Date Posted: 24 January 2017 at 7:04pm
    But you could buy two I Pukes for that money and get change back.
    No offence meant or intended,,,,its a fuckin hard market place.
    Will

Date Posted: 24 January 2017 at 7:12pm
    You're not wrong there, its very hard

but there are lots of twists, and not everything is about the cheapest price.

Let's suppose I have an amp thats a little better than an Inuke (maybe it is, maybe it isnt) - but I go into this with the intent of selling X quantity of amps rather than X thousand amps. Im not just stacking them as high as I can and shoving them out the door as quickly as possible, I've got a slightly better amp, and I just want it to tick over.

NOT being well known as a cheap amp can be beneficial, for example for an installer. How many installers could fit an Inuke into a club and actually make a profit out of it - club can jump online and search out the cheapest price, and installer makes bugger all profit if they match thomann's price.

If you can supply a product that Thomann dont have, as an installer, it's easier to justify your price, and your client cant get you to price match Thomann.

If the cheapest amp was the only solution, there would be no other amps. Not everyone wants the cheapest, thats why there are still loads of other brands out there.

Final price on this amp has not been settled yet - we did put up a price just to complete the product on the website, but the final price will depend on exchange rates, and quantities - and we plan to leave a little scope for trade pricing too.

-------------

Date Posted: 24 January 2017 at 7:19pm
    Hey Jammin,, I use weetabix for makin swalleyCensored lol
    Gettin far too old for this humpin n shuntin,  
    Will

Posted By: m0gsi
    Date Posted: 24 January 2017 at 7:47pm
    I guess the TSA4-1300 and the XT6004 are the ones to beat.

It's a shame nobody is doing group tests on this forum now.

Date Posted: 24 January 2017 at 7:58pm
    Jesus, I've been so busy slagging I misread all the ads for the iNuke. Somehow I had them as 500 quid. 300 odd, that's mental.  Right, I get it, gob shut.

-------------

Date Posted: 25 January 2017 at 12:16pm
    Originally posted by freddymendez freddymendez wrote:

i just sold 2 inf8v2 for £1700 as well. but not because lightweights do a better job, purely in the quest for efficiency

Aaaarggh!!!!

I wanted 1x of these.

-------------

Date Posted: 25 January 2017 at 12:41pm

Nicky, IMHO, the last amps to properly perform to RMS specs were,

Crown Macrotech series,
    Crest x001 series, CA18,
    EV P3000,
    QSC PL9, 5050/4050HD family (EX, MX, MPX/MPA),
    Proline 2700/3000,
    Void Infinite 8 MK1/2,
    Few other transformer amps.

IMHO, If you need rms power X on sub, you need lightweight amp rated to provide approx 2X.
    You don't really need RMS power for sub,  as sub is not continuous,  however amps that can survive 40hz sine waves, just seem to sound better, than those that can't, but with wasted current/heat.

Behringer INUKES are an oddity. Forget specs, lab test says it all, and in real life gigs, supremely accurate

2x INUKE 6000s (2x channel), costs approx  £600, 3 year warranty, & if used 1x 8 ohm per channel, properly/reliably puts 1kw into each cab, downto 30hz, and stay cool (even with pre amp boost ), wasting precious little wall juice, and for approx 15kg of weight.

For 4x cabs, This will considerably outperform MA5000VZ, QSC 5050, CA18, 9001, at 4 ohm, be much lighter/cheaper and new, and out perform many newer budget lightweights, which just don't perform to spec in reality at 4 ohms.

Mate has replaced 3x 8MK2s, with pile of INUKES, and has no noticeable reduction in power.

Obviously for the great majority, Berry amps on sub won't happen, but is an example of changes in amp market.

-------------

Date Posted: 25 January 2017 at 12:48pm
    sorryyyyy

Date Posted: 25 January 2017 at 12:49pm

Aaaarggh!!!!

I wanted 1x of these.

sorryyyyy Cry

Date Posted: 25 January 2017 at 1:30pm

Efficiency is good, but you can also do that by using efficient drivers. I love the D&B stuff - all done with low power, high efficient drivers/cabs. Or you can improve the overall efficiency of your rig by moving over to LED lighting.  Smile

-------------
    Earplugs Are For Wimps!

Date Posted: 25 January 2017 at 1:40pm

Nicky, IMHO, the last amps to properly perform to RMS specs were,

Crown Macrotech series,
    Crest x001 series, CA18,
    EV P3000,
    QSC PL9, 5050/4050HD family (EX, MX, MPX/MPA),
    Proline 2700/3000,
    Void Infinite 8 MK1/2,
    Few other transformer amps.

IMHO, If you need rms power X on sub, you need lightweight amp rated to provide approx 2X.
    You don't really need RMS power for sub,  as sub is not continuous,  however amps that can survive 40hz sine waves, just seem to sound better, than those that can't, but with wasted current/heat.

Behringer INUKES are an oddity. Forget specs, lab test says it all, and in real life gigs, supremely accurate

2x INUKE 6000s (2x channel), costs approx  £600, 3 year warranty, & if used 1x 8 ohm per channel, properly/reliably puts 1kw into each cab, downto 30hz, and stay cool (even with pre amp boost ), wasting precious little wall juice, and for approx 15kg of weight.

For 4x cabs, This will considerably outperform MA5000VZ, QSC 5050, CA18, 9001, at 4 ohm, be much lighter/cheaper and new, and out perform many newer budget lightweights, which just don't perform to spec in reality at 4 ohms.

Mate has replaced 3x 8MK2s, with pile of INUKES, and has no noticeable reduction in power.

Obviously for the great majority, Berry amps on sub won't happen, but is an example of changes in amp market.

Are you actually measuring mains consumption on the iNuke? Cos it's lightweight but is not at all mains efficient.

Date Posted: 25 January 2017 at 2:36pm

Are you actually measuring mains consumption on the iNuke? Cos it's lightweight but is not at all mains efficient.

We have 3phase distros with V/A meters per phase.

To achieve same spl across 4x cabs, in same venue, with 2x INUKE6000s, required much less current than MA5000VZ (Berrys actually exceed MA5000VZ output, sounding much better), and  about 2-3A less than 1x 8MK2 powering 4x cabs.

This all adds up when you need to power 4-8x cabs, and only have 13A sockets, and can't tinker with Fuse Board, etc.

-------------

Date Posted: 25 January 2017 at 4:49pm
    @ Lev.  The non DSP is down to 260 odd.

Is the 4r performance OK outside of Roots world for running 4 x 600w XB/Celestion etc?

-------------

Date Posted: 25 January 2017 at 5:25pm

To achieve same spl across 4x cabs, in same venue, with 2x INUKE6000s, required much less current than MA5000VZ (Berrys actually exceed MA5000VZ output, sounding much better), and  about 2-3A less than 1x 8MK2 powering 4x cabs.

This all adds up when you need to power 4-8x cabs, and only have 13A sockets, and can't tinker with Fuse Board, etc.

That is not a fair comparison. One does not compare 2 amplifiers versus 1 amplifier in terms of output performance. What you achieved is a power to weight/consumption ratio using two amplifiers versus one. Output power to output power comparison using two amplifiers versus one would not be classified as fair at all.

Best Regards,  

-------------
    Elliot Thompson

Date Posted: 25 January 2017 at 5:35pm

To make a real professional high power amp with decent sustained power ratings is exceptionally difficult and VERY expensive!

I have some connections with amp and industrial inverter/psu manufacturers. Just a single decent power supply contains twice as many components than complete INUKE.

The problem is many companies abandoned the idea without giving it a try. How do they know the market is not there if they have never tried? I would imagine this is the reason many decided to build their own high powered amplifiers in the Philippines for the majority of manufactures are content on focusing on burst rated amplifiers.

Best Regards, 

-------------
    Elliot Thompson

Posted By: MattStolton
    Date Posted: 25 January 2017 at 5:37pm

We have 3phase distros with V/A meters per phase.

Depending on your meter, it may miss the odd "draw characteristic".

I'm not saying they're shite, for the money quite the opposite, but power draw on a 'scope was "alarming".

There is a thread in these here parts with said plots. Basically only seemed to draw current for 10% of waveform of AC in, so only the crest of incoming sine waves. If your pulling it from a wall, it is the generation and distribution peeps issue, but from a generator? Wouldn't fancy it much, as you would have to load bank and dump watts as heat, to dilute the power factor.

My Brother-in-law-to-be works for the Irish Electricity distribution bunch (EirGrid IIRC), and they have real issues with PF from SMPSU, and from Wind Farms dumping in, doing silly buggers. Often speak to him about stuff like this, and you can see his eyes roll back in his head, and he starts to sweat slightly.

http://forum.speakerplans.com/behringer-inuke-nu6000-vs-kam-kxd7200-bench-tested_topic69202.html?KW=inuke+measurements" rel="nofollow - From this thread , bottom trace is AC current draw:

"Now changing to 31Hz, the NU6000 now manages 1.16kW into 8 Ohms with one or both channels driven. The traces below are for 2 channels driven and the current is now at 50A/division!"

Further pic from P2 of threead concentrating on power draw:

Much as iNuke is silly cheap, I can't afford to run a lightweight rig for from grid power, and then have a second range of amps for running of gen-sets.

-------------
    Matt Stolton - Technical Director (!!!) - http://www.wildingsound.co.uk" rel="nofollow - Wilding Sound Ltd
    "Sparkius metiretur vestra" - "Meter Your Mains"

Date Posted: 25 January 2017 at 6:03pm
    Here is the big problem, I see almost a hundred Ampéres peak current for 1050W output due very narrow angle of conducting. Normally the current draw should look like the green line I marked (or even smaller..):

Unfortunately such peaky behaviour is usually not displayed by the current meters, neither you see likely voltage sag on the loaded phase and short overvoltage peaks on the opposite phase(s) unless you have network analyzer or oscilloscope connected :-(
    All BAD SMPS (without PFC) and toroidal (low frequency transformer powered) amps share same problem!!!
    It is impossible to run several amplifiers safely with that bad power factor.
    It would kill generators, distrupts voltage controllers, ruin balance of phase lines due excessive peak currents.
    You have a good chance that it will bring down other equipment connected to the opposite phases when unbalance occurs.

Posted By: APW
    Date Posted: 25 January 2017 at 6:34pm

All BAD SMPS (without PFC) and toroidal (low frequency transformer powered) amps share same problem!!!
    It is impossible to run several amplifiers safely with that bad power factor.

This problem exists with all 'Old school' transformer and all SMPS equipment that has a rectifier and large capacitor smoothing and no PFC.... How have we managed like this for the last 75+ years!!!

Strange how it's now "impossible" but we have been doing it for over half a century and it has until recently been fine!!

I know these large peeks caused by the capacitor bank charging at just before the peek of the mains cycle cause issues for the power distribution companies but it is not 'Impossible', a half decent 'stiff' supply from the power company should not have any issues powering a bunch of these amps and a decent gen-set with a sensible static load will also be fine.

Matt:
    All iron transformer and all non-PFC SMPS amplifiers draw their current in these narrow '10%' hi-current peeks, this is not unique to the Inukes, how did you get on with gen-sets before we all started using PFC amps?

Date Posted: 25 January 2017 at 8:21pm
    Inefficiently :)

Posted By: jammin75
    Date Posted: 25 January 2017 at 8:56pm

so on sub duty 2x inuke 6000 vs pkn 6000 ??  what wud happen 2 cheap inuke powerin 4 x 1850 scoop on pre vs the pkn 6000 ??   LOL

-------------
    feel the vibes !!!   "Who Feels it Knows it"            Strong like Lion              

Date Posted: 25 January 2017 at 8:57pm
    Blimey!  OK, so did all the Hill amps at Live Aid have PFC?  Probably not and the gens would have been equally old tech. Point taken.
    Can see why there is no, "pro" implementation of iNukes tech now, as all modern touring stuff would have PFC.
    So:  Can PFC be implemented on iNuke tech, will it affect the output and how much would it cost?  Those with big tech knowledge should be able to answer all that, and if it's possible market a proper version. Copying Behringers tech  LOLLOL  After all there aint much in there to copy....

-------------

Date Posted: 25 January 2017 at 9:27pm
    Quick reply to few posts, I don't have any Berrys, but mate has loads, & I tuned his LMS, & often help string up, baby sit, string down rig for most gigs.

Often taking number of my cabs for a blast.

With 2x Berrys powering 4x cabs, hpf of 36hz, & giving it beans on Pre, (proper limiter setup of course ) is walk in park.

Personally seen this attempted on PKN XE6000s, & even with hpf at 50hz, amp was almost thermalling, most of the night.

Talking about unfair comparison is irrelevant. Comparing amps in gigs, playing music, is real world stuff.

Back on Topic, sure Andy's amps, would look more respectful in racks, than orange and grey suited Berrys..

-------------

Date Posted: 25 January 2017 at 9:31pm
    Also, regarding Gensets, would think crews respected enough to do serious outside gigs, would not be using INUKES.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com
    Copyright ©2001-2023 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net