Forum Description: Advanced discussion area for higher lifeforms
URL: https://forum.speakerplans.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=97988
Printed Date: 19 April 2024 at 4:26am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Help me choose an lms !
Posted By: Sypa
Subject: Help me choose an lms !
Date Posted: 06 March 2017 at 1:44pm
Time to put the dcx behind , eyeing the db marks obviously. Dp28 or xca28 , the 100£ difference worth it ?
Any more contenders for that price range or a bit more ?
Just need to have 8 outs no other special functions.

Replies:
Posted By: lickweed
Date Posted: 06 March 2017 at 2:22pm
got this,like new,£280
4 in 8 out

-------------
http://www.liquidsound.co.uk/

Date Posted: 06 March 2017 at 2:42pm
What does that read cant see ? digisynthetic?
Dunno the price is alright but trying not to compromise too much on the price and end up with dcx tier lms. That is offcourse speculation as i dont know anything about that unit.

Posted By: jacethebase
Date Posted: 06 March 2017 at 2:55pm
XTA or BSS

-------------
www.wedding-production.co.uk

www.stage2sound.com

Date Posted: 06 March 2017 at 4:10pm
Any particular models ?

Posted By: MattStolton
Date Posted: 06 March 2017 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by Sypa Sypa wrote:

What does that read cant see ? digisynthetic?
Dunno the price is alright but trying not to compromise too much on the price and end up with dcx tier lms. That is offcourse speculation as i dont know anything about that unit.
Digisynthetic is the Generic manufacturer of a number of subsequently rebadged stuff.

I have a DS226, which is also known as the Ohm Cleo Mk2, and I think Void used one, at one point, as their LMS of choice.

My DS is happy as larry. Whether it is a step up from the ubiquitous DCX is another question.

You may have to spend quite a lot, even second hand, to better the DCX. Farcical, perhaps, but not too far from the truth.

Leftfield, A&H IDr8? 8 in/8 out. Only issue I'm aware of is after about 10 years 24/7, the PSU can fail, but under £100 inc for part, and fitting is a doddle. More a venue mixer, but on an install locked up tighter than a Nun's proverbial, or you can allow some level of interaction from front panel buttons. Also has recall of preset on time, so can start to go quieter once licensing hours have passed? Look ahead limiters work! Just an idea, as I have installed a few, and they have been very "most excellent".

With a fixed IP address, you can also remote view over internet, and do loadsa fun stuff, like leave the manager with a virtual wall plate on his/her laptop/PC, customised to give any level of control or VU you see fit.

-------------
Matt Stolton - Technical Director (!!!) - http://www.wildingsound.co.uk" rel="nofollow - Wilding Sound Ltd
"Sparkius metiretur vestra" - "Meter Your Mains"

Date Posted: 06 March 2017 at 4:25pm
Thanks for the detailed response. Im aware that to better the dcx money will have to be spent , the db marks are already double the price. Would stay below 900£ if possible.
It will probably never be in a fixed install tho , strictly out

Posted By: cravings
Date Posted: 06 March 2017 at 4:52pm
hard to beat the 8 out dbmarks for price alright.

when i was going 4 way i ended up using 2 6 outs, one per stack. bit annoying having to make changes on both (the ones i use don't link) but having spare outs / channels is useful a surprising amount of the time. i'm using turbosound lms d6 (xta) ones. there's one on ebay now starting at 300 quid. can be found for not much more than that if you keep your eyes open.

or else you're into xilica 8 ways, or the alldsp ones, xta 448 still seem to command quite high prices.

Date Posted: 06 March 2017 at 5:09pm
Need 8 outs coz running floods so i can for once play them stereo

Date Posted: 06 March 2017 at 5:27pm
me too

Posted By: bass*en*mass
Date Posted: 06 March 2017 at 5:31pm
all dsp oems like monacor/img/psso etc.?

Posted By: 4D
Date Posted: 06 March 2017 at 6:02pm

Never used a Db-mark but unless your flush I would suggest another DCX its surprising how useful 6 in 12 out can be.  As you probably know what lets them down is the nasty noise when used as a brick wall limiter and the slightly bizarre calibration.  After that your into XTA two dp224 is reasonably affordable. 448's still hold their value around ukp1500 

-------------
DMZ. "The bass was intense. Girls were literally running up to stand next to the subs"

Posted By: 70,s hero
Date Posted: 06 March 2017 at 8:58pm
Matt Stolton wrote...

locked up tighter than a Nun's proverbial, or you can allow some level of interaction from front panel buttonsLOLLOLLOL

-------------
Top banana

Posted By: snowflake
Date Posted: 07 March 2017 at 3:44pm
because of all the functions that the behringer has which are missed by other products - dynamic eq, phase adjust, auto-align, 6dB filters, digital inputs - I think the answer to what's better than an ultradrive is simply, two ultradrives. I can't detect any audible problems with the sound but there are some inexpensive upgrades to the power supply and other components that can be done.

Posted By: wires
Date Posted: 07 March 2017 at 6:03pm
I've been using bss omnidrives, Kt dn8000's and have some ultradrives for many years.

I love bss stuff but i had too many failures with them last couple of years for my liking.
The kt's are still brilliant sounding but limited and fiddly.
The ultradrives have been pretty reliable and have a lot of functions, cheap, etc.

I recently took a punt on a dbmark to get through a load of shows and tbh it has blown me away on sound quality for It's money. Easily sounding better than the omni and ultras.
Easy to use, still lots of functions, with some firmware updates they could match the missing dynamic eq, etc. That come with the others.

My only things with it is the missing aes input and I'm not 100% certain on the limiter setting meters. I've not lost a driver since using it and I'm sure this is just a matter of me refining it.

Eventually I'm going to move on to lake processing but until then I'll recommend the dbmark and will be buying another myself.

If you're on a tighter budget then 2 ultradrives won't do you wrong as others have suggested.

Date Posted: 07 March 2017 at 6:34pm
i was just gonna say i should totally sell you my turbosound lms700. it's a bss 388, and i deleted all the turbosound presets by accident, but sure you only need the one..

http://imgur.com/a/cMuDR" rel="nofollow - http://imgur.com/a/cMuDR

poor photos.. but photos.

Date Posted: 08 March 2017 at 3:09pm
After reading all the dbmark threads again( and this thread)i see they have lots and lots of praise from respectable forum members. So my mind is pretty much set on the xca28 now just need to convince my partner in crime to follow suite
My only issue is reliability and the fact i will have to send it back to england if somethin goes awfully wrong. On the other hand i see zero reports of them breakin down on the forum...

@cravings Hehe dunno know it looks old and battered Jokes aside, i want a fresh unit !

Date Posted: 08 March 2017 at 5:47pm
well it is old.. but it's not really battered at all. and it's still good! i have dbmarks and i like them and can't fault them yet.. but i do wonder if they'll still work in 20 years. time will tell.
but yeah for the money these days, they're a really good choice.

Posted By: rish
Date Posted: 08 March 2017 at 5:58pm
To me it looks in perfectly good nick. Sometimes photos can look at bit skew when taken under bad lighting.

Date Posted: 25 April 2017 at 4:59pm
Think im gonna go with the xilica xp4080 in the end or even the xd 4080,dont quite get the FIR filter thing yet but interested to learn. Depends on the pricing.
Anyone know a place to get em cheaper than Thomann or is anyone selling some on here by any chance?

Date Posted: 25 April 2017 at 10:42pm
Also if anyone knows something more about the danley dslp48 . I figured its a xilica but not which model .

Posted By: toastyghost
Date Posted: 25 April 2017 at 10:58pm
It's an XP48 I believe all the features are unlocked but not sure it has computer software

Posted By: Hvedstrup
Date Posted: 26 April 2017 at 8:20am
What about the Linea Research LSC DSP's? 

I run my floods with 2 x Turbosound LMS-D24. They are great sounding units with fantastic limiters and Podware over USB to serial is easy peasy. 

I AB'ed one against a Ultradrive on Res2 tops. It sounded way better and even the owner agreed that he needed a new DSP. 

Date Posted: 26 April 2017 at 10:57am
Everybody complains about the front panel for the xp48, so how would that work out Smile. It says on the page it has software or are you saying its old/unusable ?
Yes I looked also at the linea research ones,that particular one has 6 outs tho. The "new" Danley is an ASC48 but it also seems quite expensive.

Posted By: snowflake
Date Posted: 26 April 2017 at 1:38pm
Originally posted by Hvedstrup Hvedstrup wrote:

I run my floods with 2 x Turbosound LMS-D24. They are great sounding units with fantastic limiters and Podware over USB to serial is easy peasy. 

I AB'ed one against a Ultradrive on Res2 tops. It sounded way better and even the owner agreed that he needed a new DSP. 

Linea Research uses constant phase filters whereas Ultradrive uses variable phase filters - interested how you set up an AB comparison?

Date Posted: 26 April 2017 at 5:33pm
Do you mean variable Q vs constant Q?

Posted By: shagnasty
Date Posted: 26 April 2017 at 9:49pm
Originally posted by snowflake snowflake wrote:

Linea Research uses constant phase filters whereas Ultradrive uses variable phase filters - interested how you set up an AB comparison?

NEVER good to bring up Soundweb  Mk4 (Linea Research, you know the crew) in an LMS thread!!!! LOL

Date Posted: 27 April 2017 at 3:07pm
Ok so here is the case today lol.
Got offered a mc2 ti1048 (xta dp488) for a bit more money than the xilica goes, but its the install version with those wire connectors. The danley xilicas are not for sale anymore new.
So the final question is xilica xp-48 or an install xta dp488 ?

Posted By: Jo bg
Date Posted: 27 April 2017 at 5:53pm
Hi Sypa
on prosoundweb there seems to be a consensus about xilicas sounding good but also that the limiters sound bad -not that they don't work, simply they sound bad when activated even briefly, giving something like a digital sound someone says (but it has got also compressor on the inputs).
the xp line has got a two lines very simple front panel, usable but looks cumbersome. also xta does not have a big display, but those hardware parametric controls are something i envy every time i see one.
also problems reported (maybe firmware fixed it) with exceding dsp power: seems that the xilica lets you add filters and they effect the "preview curve" but the dsp does not apply them... 

xtas are almost the standard, and their limiters  the same, so if i could get an used xta 448 for little more than a xilica i would go that way. here in Italy i see used dp448 going for far more money than a new xilica xp4080.

i use dcx2496, have played with xta series 2 and 4 and have never seen a xilica.
The berry serves me well but i'm not very confident with having just one processor - and a behringer, so i am pondering wether buying another dcx or investing at least double the money in something better.
xtas too rich for my blood so it will be between a used  xilica xp4080  and a xca48. liking the xilica so far, but still can't understand why both miss the continous phase control of the dcx (xta too but has plenty of phase filters instead). xilica has also all pass filter. but the real bugger is that limiter sound issue that many report. may go with dbmark xca for that reason, but apart from that issue they seem nice machines

Date Posted: 28 April 2017 at 12:25am
Thanks for the detailed response. The mc2 branded xta is actually also new . Dont know if you read that from my post but the only thing thats different from a normal 448 is that it has no xlr outs but spade connectors ( are they called that ) and display on the wrong side?? ;)
Ive googled a bit and they are also much much cheaper list price than a xta branded one, the xlrs cost 1500euro ? :)
I would also get the xilica immediately if i get it at a better price than now on thomann, it seems the price a few years back was 400-500 eu less...

Date Posted: 28 April 2017 at 7:51am

Very simple AB test.

Left channel = Res2 on Ultradrive and MC2 E475 channel 1+2
Right channel = Res2 on Linea Research and MC2E475 channel 3+4

Play music and compare. Even turn the balance knob from time to time. 

Date Posted: 28 April 2017 at 7:52am
Originally posted by shagnasty shagnasty wrote:

NEVER good to bring up Soundweb  Mk4 (Linea Research, you know the crew) in an LMS thread!!!! LOL

Sorry for my ignorance, why? 

Posted By: shagnasty
Date Posted: 28 April 2017 at 3:26pm
The boys that are Linea were very in the original SW project and have really evolved it, their kit is really impressive but you would expect that from people that saw a revolutionary concept and then realized it wasn't quite upto some of the projects people tried so they learnt from that....

Date Posted: 04 May 2017 at 6:52pm
Im so dumb lol , no one could correct me ?
Just figured the mc2 is not the dp range but the dc1048.
Except the phoenix connectors are there any other things that make this unit not quite suitable for live fiddling ?

Date Posted: 04 May 2017 at 9:32pm
think they're only configurable via laptop.

Date Posted: 05 May 2017 at 12:18am
Yeah just read the manual...
Just one thing i didnt quite get ,do you put in the settings and save to a preset and thats it ,or you can change parameters live ?

Posted By: Shortrope
Date Posted: 05 May 2017 at 7:32am
I'll have a couple of nearly new XCA28 coming up for sale soon if you're interested?

-------------
My Tinnitus is coming along nicely!!

Date Posted: 05 May 2017 at 10:25am

Very simple AB test.

Left channel = Res2 on Ultradrive and MC2 E475 channel 1+2
Right channel = Res2 on Linea Research and MC2E475 channel 3+4

Play music and compare. Even turn the balance knob from time to time. 

His point is that if you simply entered the same EQ and filter settings into both units, you were not conducting a remotely fair test.

Posted By: SamV
Date Posted: 27 July 2017 at 2:44am
Originally posted by Shortrope Shortrope wrote:

I'll have a couple of nearly new XCA28 coming up for sale soon if you're interested?

Any more news on these?

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2023 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net