Print Page | Close Window

5000W Build suggestions

Printed From: Speakerplans.com
Category: General
Forum Name: Newbie Discussion
Forum Description: Newbie Discussion/Questions. Look less stupid here...
URL: https://forum.speakerplans.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=98182
Printed Date: 20 April 2024 at 3:34pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: 5000W Build suggestions
Posted By: Mawby
Subject: 5000W Build suggestions
Date Posted: 30 March 2017 at 4:41pm
Hi guys me and a friend are looking to build a small-ish system as its our 1st time ever really dabbling in this stuff and was just wondering what suggested components we should use as we have no idea really about what drivers ect would be best. we would be playing a variety of genres on said system (bassline,gabba,donk,hardtek ect)

i was thinking something along the lines of 2-4 subs 2 mid ranges and a horn and bullet tweeter and was wonderingif it could be done for about £400 or cheaper

im sorry for the very newbey post

Replies:
Posted By: JBK
Date Posted: 30 March 2017 at 5:12pm
I would not be the one to advise on a system, especially in these genre, but I can advise you to put some more info :
You plan to play outdoors? indoors? big venue, or small room?
How many people would you want to cover? it will be way more relevant than stating a number of watts :)
Do you already have cabs/loudspeakers/amplifiers/processing? Or do you start from scratch
Do you want to build your cabs or buy them ready made?

Originally posted by Mawby Mawby wrote:

was wondering if it could be done for about £400 or cheaper

hem... I hate giving definitive answers but it seems way out of the reality (assuming you start from scratch, even for the 2 subs option)

oh and don't worry the newbie section is there for that

Date Posted: 30 March 2017 at 5:16pm
Ahh i see i see!

erm the system it would be for abit of both but id say mainly indoors and the venue will be small ish in size and the amount of people i couldnt have a definite number but i could say from 2-15 people ish and i plan to do everything from scratch also id build the cabs myself

im sorry for the lack of info!

Posted By: BJtheDJ
Date Posted: 30 March 2017 at 5:28pm

Ahh i see i see!

erm the system it would be for abit of both but id say mainly indoors and the venue will be small ish in size and the amount of people i couldnt have a definite number but i could say from 2-15 people ish and i plan to do everything from scratch also id build the cabs myself

Just to get it clear; you're looking to spend less than £400 on a 5000 watt system ??

Date Posted: 30 March 2017 at 5:30pm
i dont mind paying more its just a sort of figuire i estimates roughly from some components on a few websites

Date Posted: 30 March 2017 at 5:39pm

i dont mind paying more its just a sort of figuire i estimates roughly from some components on a few websites

They wouldn't be car audio websites would they?? Big smile

Date Posted: 30 March 2017 at 5:40pm
no there was a couple like this one

http://www.electromarket.co.uk/live-sound-pa/speakers/speaker-components/pa-bass-drivers/woofer-size/15%22/

and a few others

Posted By: mini-mad
Date Posted: 30 March 2017 at 5:56pm

http://www.electromarket.co.uk/live-sound-pa/speakers/speaker-components/pa-bass-drivers/woofer-size/15/" rel="nofollow - http://www.electromarket.co.uk/live-sound-pa/speakers/speaker-components/pa-bass-drivers/woofer-size/15%22/

and a few others

Noooooooooo!
Where abouts do you live?

-------------
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.

Date Posted: 30 March 2017 at 6:02pm

http://www.electromarket.co.uk/live-sound-pa/speakers/speaker-components/pa-bass-drivers/woofer-size/15%22/

and a few others

The power figures there should be taken for what they are, greatly exaggerated.

Looking at this sort of site http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=VODV181000" rel="nofollow - www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=VODV181000 would give you an idea of what building a proper 5000watt sound system,

That being said if as you say you're only planning to cater for 2-15-ish people, then the cheaper stuff will almost certainly satisfy your requirements.

Date Posted: 30 March 2017 at 6:32pm
i see ill definitely have a look around that site!

Date Posted: 30 March 2017 at 10:02pm

i see ill definitely have a look around that site!

I ask where you live as i have a few bass sections up for sale....

-------------

Posted By: IainB
Date Posted: 30 March 2017 at 10:30pm
A 5k sound system for £400 is never going to happen unless you spend that money on hiring in.
Im putting together a 'cheap' system and I dont want to add up what Ive spent to get where I am.
You need speakers, amps, crossover & cabling between all.
I found a promotion that CPC Farnell were running to get my bass amps £450+ reduced down to £125 (I think) then amps to run the mids and tops. Because I didnt know what I was going im running 3 runs of speaker wire (should have used a patch panel really) so thats another £60 gone, a half decent speaker management system will run you £180+, then the price of wood, glue, drivers (if your self building) hell even buying second hand bins and tops (and Ive been really really lucky with some of my purchases) has run me £350+ 
Now if I want to over exaggerate, I could say I have 7.5k of amp power, realistically (because im not running everything bridged at 4 or indeed 2 ohm) and taking into constant power of my drivers my max is 2.8k 
Rough guess im in for £900+  

Posted By: 70,s hero
Date Posted: 30 March 2017 at 10:51pm
Hi , 15 people wont need 5k, you could get a set of used active 200 watt mid/tops and a couple of cheapish subs, that would do for what you want, ime in Bristol so if you want any advice/help PM me.

-------------
Top banana

Posted By: Crashpc
Date Posted: 31 March 2017 at 6:23am
The problem is, that you can count 25watts per human in 200 people rig, but you cannot count it the same for 5 people. Even those 5 people want quite loud music.
200w is really the bottom value, I agree. Depends on speakers sensotivity. Bass, at least 1200w for one strong 18".
Thebprice with amps and stuff will still go about 1000....

-------------
Nikon and Canon people should not be married to each other. Why did you let this happen?

Posted By: SouthwestCNC
Date Posted: 31 March 2017 at 8:17am
Couple of tham15's and some 18 sound mid top enclosures, all you need for 15 people, You'd need to go for a cheaper horn and compression driver but at a real squeeze its possible for £400 but still need amps.

Posted By: Robbo
Date Posted: 31 March 2017 at 10:00am
I think that he has probably missed a zero off the price somewhere as £4k is probably more like it.
Originally posted by BJtheDJ BJtheDJ wrote:

Ahh i see i see!

<font size="2" face="Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Just to get it clear; you're looking to spend less than £400 on a 5000 watt system ??
<div ="itanywhere-activator" title="Google Translator Anywhere" style="display: none;">

Posted By: Earplug
Date Posted: 31 March 2017 at 10:17am
Have you looked at the 2nd hand market? You can pick up some decent cabs quite cheaply that way and avoid all the hassle of building the things yourself. Decent ply is not cheap. Then add in cost of xovers, connectors and hardware and the thing will escalate very quickly. £400 may buy you a couple of amps. The cabs are extra.

-------------
Earplugs Are For Wimps!

Posted By: odc04r
Date Posted: 31 March 2017 at 12:04pm
2 bass, 2 tops, 2x2channel or 4 channel amp with inbuilt DSP. That is the absolute cheapest you are doing a semi quality setup for. Go 2 tops only if you like, but it is very unlikely they would be satisfying for anything with sub 80Hz content.

Cost to you second hand, about £1k probably if you know what to look for and have patience. If you are new to the game then start sensibly small and pay your learning dues before going bigger/spending more. Good secondhand kit will always hold the majority of what you pay for it if you wait for a good deal and don't thrash it to death.

Posted By: RiddimKid
Date Posted: 31 March 2017 at 12:31pm
People may not agree on here but look at the Behringer I-Nuke Amps.

I've just put together a rig for one my mates using a I Nuke 12000 dsp and a 6000 dsp running four Fane Xbs on bass and 2 double 15s with 2" horn on tops

These amps are serious for the money, just buy them from Thomann so you get the three year warranty

They have a built in dsp so you save money on getting a driverack, eq ect.

Posted By: odc04r
Date Posted: 31 March 2017 at 12:46pm
They'd be near the top of my list if I was starting a new rig on a minimal budget. Inbuilt DSP is a huge bonus.

Date Posted: 31 March 2017 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by RiddimKid RiddimKid wrote:

I've just put together a rig for one my mates using a I Nuke 12000 dsp and a 6000 dsp running four Fane Xbs on bass and 2 double 15s with 2" horn on tops

These amps are serious for the money, just buy them from Thomann so you get the three year warranty

And how much did all that cost? £400 just for 1 amp. People look at Skytec/QTX crap and get the wrong idea about what a decent system will cost. Then again, for parties for a few mates etc, some cheapo cabs might be perfect. Horses for courses. Some of the Thomann cabs sound fine for what they cost.

-------------
Earplugs Are For Wimps!

Posted By: rosssss224
Date Posted: 31 March 2017 at 2:33pm
Build 2 cubo 15's and buy a single top with passive xover. 

can be done for £350. Then a half decent amp to bridge into the cubos and  another for the top.

Date Posted: 31 March 2017 at 2:36pm
2 x kapap 15 LF  £180
2 x ply sheets       £70
1 x full range top   £40
1 x crossover      £50
1 x qsc 1450       £100
1 x ??amp??       £50

for example and that's £490

Posted By: RiddimKid
Date Posted: 31 March 2017 at 3:49pm
Originally posted by Earplug Earplug wrote:

Originally posted by RiddimKid RiddimKid wrote:

And how much did all that cost? £400 just for 1 amp. People look at Skytec/QTX crap and get the wrong idea about what a decent system will cost. Then again, for parties for a few mates etc, some cheapo cabs might be perfect. Horses for courses. Some of the Thomann cabs sound fine for what they cost.

Yep!

The 12000dsp was actually on offer at Thomann for £450 and the 6000dsp was £340

Dont think they have those deals anymore though

I agree stay FAR from Skytec/Qtx ect

Behringer to me is the lowest level I would go on a budget lol anything under is a joke

Date Posted: 31 March 2017 at 3:51pm
Originally posted by rosssss224 rosssss224 wrote:

2 x kapap 15 LF  £180
2 x ply sheets       £70
1 x full range top   £40
1 x crossover      £50
1 x qsc 1450       £100
1 x ??amp??       £50

And don´t forget the £50 for the tuff-cab!  Tongue  Big smile

-------------
Earplugs Are For Wimps!

Date Posted: 31 March 2017 at 4:01pm

2 x kapap 15 LF  £180
2 x ply sheets       £70
1 x full range top   £40
1 x crossover      £50
1 x qsc 1450       £100
1 x ??amp??       £50

nah go for that natural look!

Date Posted: 31 March 2017 at 11:31pm

2 x kapap 15 LF  £180
2 x ply sheets       £70
1 x full range top   £40
1 x crossover      £50
1 x qsc 1450       £100
1 x ??amp??       £50

Plus AT LEAST £70 for speaker cables and interconnects..
And another 35 for a third sheet of mdf/ply for building a ravk to keep that lot in... then more ££ for speakon sockets AND dishes for the back of the bass bins...

Hopefully you already have a mixer....

-------------

Posted By: SouthwestCNC
Date Posted: 31 March 2017 at 11:57pm
£10 on nuts bolts and screws. £10 on glue. £5 -10 on filler. £10 on sander belts n paper. Need a new blade and/or router bit £30. Rollers £7. Nearly a quarter of the budget without making anything sadly.

Posted By: I-shen Soundboy
Date Posted: 01 April 2017 at 12:09am
Building for pennies, so I'd forget the paint, filler and plywood. 18mm OSB or MDF au natural should get the cost down, steal a shopping trolley for the grille and get creative with fittings. It'll look like shit, but you'll learn enough doing it and have more cash left for better drivers and amps.

Edit: of course, scraping around the bottom of the suicide rig market can yeild some very good bargains, often needing enough work to satisfy any diy urges.

Posted By: cookie-dj
Date Posted: 01 April 2017 at 6:46pm
i just spent £97 just on 4x 10m 2.5mm speakon cables and an xlr patch loom Ouch
Buy right, buy once.

-------------
You can't polish a turd!

Posted By: mobiele eenheid
Date Posted: 01 April 2017 at 9:00pm
As it's for 2-15 people, howabout some decent hifi-speakers or, yes, perhaps even some Skytec cheapish tops, with a single PA-subwoofer? It's what I'do for that amount of people.

Johan

Date Posted: 02 April 2017 at 12:30am
400£ for 15 people?

Super cheap bass cabs off ebay... reinforce the inside. Seal them with glue along all the joints inside the cab (PU based glue) and a single 12" top cab!
Crossover and a single amp at about 1500w should do you. Run the top off one side at lower volume and the bins off the other!

Thats your cheap option! It wont sound great but it will make some noise..

-------------

Posted By: Crashpc
Date Posted: 02 April 2017 at 7:18am
Yes, if one can do things "oneself", you can find quite usable drivers, and make some poorish looking, but well working boxes. Even DTD can be used if you don´t mind additional bracing and insane weight. I have built few subwoofers with cheap drivers (Similar to Eminence Delta 15 or Kappa 15) and with processing, you have nicely sounding bass box for $40-$50. Same way of working with tops, but here you have to know the stuff to develop yours, or it will sound absolutely terrible or blow up.
What will be most pricey part, is the amp, or amps to feed your speakers. It´s in that $$$ range....

-------------
Nikon and Canon people should not be married to each other. Why did you let this happen?

Posted By: charlynch
Date Posted: 02 April 2017 at 10:56am
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/HK-Lucas-600-watt-sound-system-1-x-15-subwoofer-2-x-8-satellites/112332737194" rel="nofollow - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/HK-Lucas-600-watt-sound-system-1-x-15-subwoofer-2-x-8-satellites/112332737194

1p under budget & probably equivilent to 5k skytec watts

Posted By: jbl_man
Date Posted: 02 April 2017 at 12:00pm

the amount of people i couldnt have a definite number but i could say from 2-15 people ish

What numptie suggested you needed 5000 watts for that number of people? Must be the most blatant bit of poor advice ever!

Jeez,in the early years,5kw would have filled Hammersmith Odeon,for 4000 people. Robbo will concur.

My first system was just 2x120w,and was fine for medium halls of 150 ish punters using just a pair of w-bins with horns.

-------------
Be seeing you.

Posted By: njw
Date Posted: 02 April 2017 at 1:41pm
Whereabouts are you OP? I've got a pair of 12" + piezo cabs here, they're old but in good condition, built from 1" ply so very solid, £30.

Date Posted: 02 April 2017 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by charlynch charlynch wrote:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/HK-Lucas-600-watt-sound-system-1-x-15-subwoofer-2-x-8-satellites/112332737194" rel="nofollow - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/HK-Lucas-600-watt-sound-system-1-x-15-subwoofer-2-x-8-satellites/112332737194

1p under budget & probably equivilent to 5k skytec watts

Those look perfect for what you want. And unpainted MDF is suicide.  Confused

-------------
Earplugs Are For Wimps!

Posted By: I-shen Soundboy
Date Posted: 02 April 2017 at 4:18pm
True - a slap of PVA does wonders for longevity, if nothing for looks.

OSB is an underrated alternative to marine ply/MDF.
I seem to remember all sorts of rubbish speakers being made from it and covered in Tolex, back in the day...

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2023 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net