URL: https://forum.speakerplans.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=98355
Printed Date: 29 March 2024 at 3:24pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: 18 Sound 18LW2400 & Fane 18" Colossus Prime XS
Posted By: ROGER D
Subject: 18 Sound 18LW2400 & Fane 18" Colossus Prime XS
Date Posted: 21 April 2017 at 12:25pm
Friends,
Need your advice on 2 X 18" plans for 18 Sound 18LW2400 & Fane 18"Colossus Prime XS.
Reflex or Horn Loaded, please advice. We are a sound rental company doing Live Band Concerts & EDM Festivals in Stadium & Arenas with a crowd of 5000 and above on most occasions.

Replies:
Posted By: Elliot Thompson
Date Posted: 21 April 2017 at 1:46pm

The Eighteen Sound you are considering can work in either a horn or bass reflex. The Fane you are considering is aimed for reflex cabinets not, horns. For the amount of people you are stating you are catering for, it would be best to focus on one type of speaker and buy quantity. Your top cabinets will dictate whether a slew of horns or a slew of reflex cabinets is the best choice pending on how low of a frequency your top cabinets can produce.

Best Regards,  

-------------
Elliot Thompson

Date Posted: 21 April 2017 at 1:59pm
Dear Elliot,
Thank You for your advice.
The Line Array tops we are using start from 60hz
Between the 2 components what will you advice - 18 Sound or Fane.
Yes we will be using only one brand of components only and won't be mixing the two at all.
All our concerts are Bass heavy especially when we are doing the EDM Festivals.
Regards.

Posted By: Elliot Thompson
Date Posted: 21 April 2017 at 3:12pm

If your tops can reach down to 60 Hz, you are better off with Reflex cabinets as you will have no issues achieving one octave lower. The majority of bass horns on the market take a nose dive under 50 Hz. So it would make logical sense to choose the driver that was designed for a reflex box based on your choices of the two speakers you are considering. 

Best Regards,   

-------------
Elliot Thompson

Date Posted: 21 April 2017 at 3:18pm
Thank You Elliot

Posted By: MarjanM
Date Posted: 21 April 2017 at 4:29pm
Roger Drego?

-------------
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713

Posted By: gen0me
Date Posted: 21 April 2017 at 5:21pm
For edm I would go for horns. Especially on this scale.
Be carefull with line array tops they may have -few db there.
The best give concrete tunes you want to sound best and tops or at least lf drivers in tops.

Date Posted: 21 April 2017 at 5:23pm
Any size restrictions?

Date Posted: 21 April 2017 at 5:58pm
Guys, before you continue giving ideas, can we confirm this guys identity?
Roger Drego is a rental company and manufacturer from India that is ripping off other people designs.

-------------
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com

Date Posted: 21 April 2017 at 6:08pm
Marjan M,
I am Roger Davidson, not Roger Drego.
Regards.

Date Posted: 21 April 2017 at 6:11pm
Genome,
No size restrictions.
Regards.

Posted By: bob4
Date Posted: 21 April 2017 at 6:40pm
Originally posted by ROGER D ROGER D wrote:

Festivals in Stadium & Arenas with a crowd of 5000 and above on most occasions.

how long have you been in the business? If you really do events on that scale, it's a little bit weird that you would need to come to this forum to ask for ideas. Don't you have any personal contacts in the business? Competent employees? Why not hire a competent consultant, if you don't know yourself what to do?

If you were a real, viable business, you wouldn't waste your time here  Ouch

Date Posted: 21 April 2017 at 6:59pm
Bob4,
My competent employees had come up with a horn design and we made 2 numbers to test them but the components just didn't sound good in the cabinets. We have a existing dual 18" G Sub design which we are using but since the past 6 months we have been doing these concerts and we always fall short on subs. A friend suggested to join this forum to ask advice from people in the industry. I am 60 years old and just continuing the business which my friend and i had started. He was the technical man but he's no more :( that's why i am here seeking advice.
Regards.

Posted By: rish
Date Posted: 21 April 2017 at 7:17pm
Roger just out of curiosity and which will help in advising you accordingly, if you do a gig for 5000 people at present , what are you using to cover that audience?

Rish

Posted By: Father-Francis
Date Posted: 21 April 2017 at 8:38pm
Originally posted by rish rish wrote:

Roger just out of curiosity and which will help in advising you accordingly, if you do a gig for 5000 people at present , what are you using to cover that audience?

Rish

Is that a trick question?

-------------
Music is the strongest form of magic.(+45 31879997)blakmanpro@gmail.com, foa@sweetboxaudio.dk

Date Posted: 21 April 2017 at 10:05pm
How about 18lw2400 in front loaded horns? Should reach easly 35hz without excursion problems in few pcs stacks.
Will also produce some extra kick for those la.

Posted By: JonB67
Date Posted: 21 April 2017 at 10:36pm
I know enough to know I know nothing.

But how/why have you chosen drivers without knowing what you even need?

The question about what you're already using seems utterly legitimate. Seen enough threads to know unless you stump up some answers to questions the conjecture will meander and you'll end up either none the wiser or with answers that dont fit your needs.

Date Posted: 22 April 2017 at 1:52am
Rish,
The tops are 2 x 12" Low-Mid + 1 x 2"HF (MT122 Design from speaker plan.com)

JonB67,
I haven't chosen any drivers, this is what we have currently in our G Subs
Regards

Date Posted: 22 April 2017 at 2:02am
Friends,
Thank You we have decided to go ahead with reflex subs and increase the G Subs quantity with the Fane & try the super scooper design for 18 Sound.
Appreciate the advice received from all.
Regards.

Posted By: toastyghost
Date Posted: 22 April 2017 at 2:21am
Neither G Sub nor Superscoop designs are licensed for commercial use. Just so you're aware of that.

Date Posted: 22 April 2017 at 5:57am
Francis - I am a little lost to why you would think that was a trick question. Write this down "One never really knows where he is going until he knows where he coming from". I wanted to know what he has currently and either expand from there or sell that and build a system from scratch.

Roger - Building a sound for 5000 peeps would need much more than you have now. Bass reflex cabs are great to cover the low end section but you would need quite a few to cope properly. Mt121 also good for the audience you want to cover with the proper drivers but then again you need more.
The most important thing here is that make sure you set proper crossover points and time align the system once built. Too many times I have seen systems with a whole lot of cabs not time aligned and sounding crap. Building cabs is one thing, knowing how to use them is another.

Rish

Date Posted: 22 April 2017 at 6:16am
[QUOTE=rish] Francis - I am a little lost to why you would think that was a trick question. Write this down "One never really knows where he is going until he knows where he coming from". I wanted to know what he has currently and either expand from there or sell that and build a system from scratch.

Hey Rich i know why you asked the question, I'd ask the same , it wasn't you I was after , Roger D just seemed to be a troll to me .

-------------
Music is the strongest form of magic.(+45 31879997)blakmanpro@gmail.com, foa@sweetboxaudio.dk

Date Posted: 22 April 2017 at 7:20am
In that case my apologies. You the second person that brought up something suspicious with Rodger D and where's there's smoke, there's fire. So I'm out.

Rish

Posted By: KWB75
Date Posted: 22 April 2017 at 7:44am
On page one you say that you're using line array tops that go down to 60hz...On page two your saying you use MT122?

Date Posted: 22 April 2017 at 9:02am
I still think he is Roger Drego fishing for free ideas on the next ripoff.

-------------
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com

Date Posted: 22 April 2017 at 7:20pm
Originally posted by KWB75 KWB75 wrote:

On page one you say that you're using line array tops that go down to 60hz...On page two your saying you use MT122?

It could be MT122 line array Rog designed for India , Oh bloody Mahatma, dis Indian is trying very much to piss on us , lol , thought I was the only one reading,

-------------

Date Posted: 23 April 2017 at 12:15am
I think he is actually asking for a line array plan.

-------------
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com

Posted By: mini-mad
Date Posted: 23 April 2017 at 12:33am
He's asking for bass plans to get more out his current drivers......

-------------
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.

Posted By: Ricci
Date Posted: 24 April 2017 at 6:37pm
Originally posted by MarjanM MarjanM wrote:

Guys, before you continue giving ideas, can we confirm this guys identity?
Roger Drego is a rental company and manufacturer from India that is ripping off other people designs.

I wonder if this is the same guy who was emailing me a few weeks ago. At first he asked for Othorn plans like any other DIYer, which I give out all the time, so I thought nothing of it. The follow up emails sent up red flags immediately. I was asked if I had other plans, full range cabinet designs, or any other links to prints or plans of pro cabs I knew of. At that point it was mentioned he worked for an audio company and started sending info on an amplifier line. I quit responding once I realized I was being dug for information by a company that would try to copy others work and sell it later on. I wish I would've realized earlier.

I was specifically asked for line array plans. Sounds like the same person to me...

Posted By: SouthwestCNC
Date Posted: 24 April 2017 at 7:23pm
How about the 18 sound Manifolded double 18" bph. has a Very short horn almost a reflex.

Date Posted: 24 April 2017 at 9:58pm
Originally posted by SouthwestCNC SouthwestCNC wrote:

How about the 18 sound Manifolded double 18" bph. has a Very short horn almost a reflex.

This?
http://www.eighteensound.com/Portals/0/EnclosuresKits/18sound_double%2018%20kit_rev060315.pdf?ver=2015-03-09-165227-100" rel="nofollow - http://www.eighteensound.com/Portals/0/EnclosuresKits/18sound_double%2018%20kit_rev060315.pdf?ver=2015-03-09-165227-100

Not a BPH, at all. It's a proper bandpass box, very, very far from a reflex…

Posted By: thirtha
Date Posted: 24 April 2017 at 11:35pm
Roger Drego recently did cold play in India, and there were supposedly 80,000 people at the venue.

Date Posted: 24 April 2017 at 11:51pm
Originally posted by thirtha thirtha wrote:

Roger Drego recently did cold play in India, and there were supposedly 80,000 people at the venue.

L'acoustics on that one.

Date Posted: 25 April 2017 at 12:01am
Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

Originally posted by SouthwestCNC SouthwestCNC wrote:

This?
http://www.eighteensound.com/Portals/0/EnclosuresKits/18sound_double%2018%20kit_rev060315.pdf?ver=2015-03-09-165227-100" rel="nofollow - http://www.eighteensound.com/Portals/0/EnclosuresKits/18sound_double%2018%20kit_rev060315.pdf?ver=2015-03-09-165227-100

Not a BPH, at all. It's a proper bandpass box, very, very far from a reflex…

Oh ok, thanks for enlightening me. Cant have much delay on it tho like a reflex can it.

Date Posted: 25 April 2017 at 12:13am
It's a high order bandpass so has a very large group delay.

Date Posted: 25 April 2017 at 12:33am
Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

It's a high order bandpass so has a very large group delay.

o right, Because of the two separate tunings?

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2023 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net