Forum Description: Help and discussion about your manly PC or girly Mac
URL: https://forum.speakerplans.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=98947
Printed Date: 28 March 2024 at 5:49pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: slow computer.
Posted By: markie
Subject: slow computer.
Date Posted: 25 July 2017 at 7:38pm
My puter is suddenly slow, and even when not online the processor is buzzing away constantly. the little green light is constantly flashing and there's a constant buzz from the speakers.

Any ideas?

Also what's the best anti virus. Is it best to buy it? I have the freeware version of Avast at the moment.

-------------
If it's got wheels or tits it's gonna cost a fortune

Replies:
Posted By: Admin
Date Posted: 26 July 2017 at 8:26am
Use the Task Manager in Windows to see what process is using up all the CPU causing your machine to run hot.

Avast is probably the best free Anti-Virus and for paid Kaspersky has come top of every test in the last few years with it blocking more viruses then anything else.

As an extra add-on to run along side your AV use Malwarebytes. The paid version is better as it gives real-time protection.

Posted By: RoadRunnersDust
Date Posted: 26 July 2017 at 9:44am
Norton, Kaspersky, etc. are all much of a muchness in the grand scheme.

Things like  AVG, Avast, etc. that have free versions are all pretty crap... the paid for versions of them are pretty much just polished turds though.

The little green light will be your Harddrive access light so theres a program thats running and causing your computer to be using the HDD constantly.
A good AV paired with Malwarebytes will normally find whatever it is if its malicious.

As always, a fresh install of Windows and starting from scratch is the much cleaner way of doing it if you do have anything nasty on your PC.

-------------
www.guildfordcablecompany.co.uk" rel="nofollow - www.guildfordcablecompany.co.uk

Date Posted: 26 July 2017 at 9:59am
Did the task manager thing and it shows usage of between 0 and 1% so possibly there's not a problem.

I wouldn't have a clue how to re-install windows, I usually find it's easier to buy a recon computer. I only use it for Ebay, Email, the odd google search  and on here so don't need anything special.

I guess the crackling means I need new speakers.

Thanks to all for the help.

-------------

Posted By: odc04r
Date Posted: 26 July 2017 at 10:12am
Is your HD getting full? If it is then it could be swapping a lot. How much space do you have left?

Buzz from the speakers is probably noise from the constantly moving HD getting into the power supply rails?

Date Posted: 26 July 2017 at 10:30am
Hard disc is only about 15% full. 414Gb free out of 465.

-------------

Date Posted: 26 July 2017 at 10:32am
How much RAM have you got?
and how much memory useage is Task Manager reporting?

-------------
www.guildfordcablecompany.co.uk" rel="nofollow - www.guildfordcablecompany.co.uk

Date Posted: 26 July 2017 at 11:04am
It shows 4Gb with 2.99Gb useable. Not sure what that means.

Task manager shows between 30% and 50%

-------------

Posted By: jbl_man
Date Posted: 26 July 2017 at 11:07am
Mine was running really slow all last week, ran the harddrive defragment programme a couple of times,all fine now. Thumbs Up

-------------
Be seeing you.

Date Posted: 26 July 2017 at 11:27am
I have defrag as a scheduled task, once a week.

-------------

Posted By: mobiele eenheid
Date Posted: 26 July 2017 at 12:04pm
How about system restoration to a point prior of the sluggishness?

Posted By: SouthwestCNC
Date Posted: 26 July 2017 at 9:17pm
Advanced system care with smart defrag and smart ram by iobit. Absolute god send. Find every pc I've had needed a reinstall after a year without this software. With it runs tip top all the time. Highly recommend

Posted By: mini-mad
Date Posted: 26 July 2017 at 10:43pm
Why is this obsession with reinstalling Windows??

I installed win7 on my aging laptop on an SSD (as it was the right side of the IDE/SATA change over) and I have never had to reinstall anything! If you just used a half decent browser and a basic A/V (NOT, I REPEAT NOT AVG!!) and your common sense your PC will always be fine and never sluggish... and mine gets used a fair bit!

-------------
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.

Date Posted: 27 July 2017 at 4:03am
Originally posted by mini-mad mini-mad wrote:

Have you ever seen how absolutely appalling Microsoft's house keeping was regarding Win7 updates and general software and driver installation/uninstallation? Dead

-------------

Posted By: mini-mad
Date Posted: 27 July 2017 at 11:24am
Originally posted by RoadRunnersDust RoadRunnersDust wrote:

Have you ever seen how absolutely appalling Microsoft's house keeping was regarding Win7 updates and general software and driver installation/uninstallation? Dead

It's running flawlessly on my aging HP laptop... I manually clear out a few caches every now and again but other then that not one single problem!
That's It!
On my now non used pc I installed it once years ago and never reinstalled it either! Again, worked flawlessly. It's people's misuse of a fairly simple system and then blaming the system when it starts falling apart that I find funny!
It's by no means the best OS out there but just very very simple protocol keeps it running fine with very little third party software use for "optimising".

..kaspersky is resource hungry in my opinion and blocks the use of my own software and tweaked settings which is a pain in the....

-------------
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.

Posted By: darkmatter
Date Posted: 27 July 2017 at 12:31pm

It's people's misuse of a fairly simple system and then blaming the system when it starts falling apart that I find funny!
It's by no means the best OS out there but just very very simple protocol keeps it running fine with very little third party software use for "optimising".

I disagree. I also haven't needed to reinstall in recent years and generally don't run a hire party AV. However just because something works for you doesn't mean it's the same for others.

I've spent the last few days messing around with .NET framework package installs... Package management isn't easy so it can go wrong easily. I've had to reinstall Linux and Windows PCs just cos it was the easier option than unpicking it all.

Re. the fan noise - my computer's been the same recently. I think it's a combo of dodgy bearings plus recent warm weather.

Date Posted: 27 July 2017 at 8:25pm
Seconded and Again I recommend installing advanced system care to show you exactly how bad all windows Os's not just 7 are at housekeeping. My pc left on will develop over 200 issues over the course of a week without even using it. You're pc may seem to run flawlessly but it will get slower all the time as the registry fills with invalid and corrupt entry's.

Date Posted: 27 July 2017 at 8:34pm
I disagree in regards to anti virus. I have had all of them, so far Avg is the only one that hasn't failed me and allowed virus's. Mcafee and kaspersky failed miserably for me. AVG 3 years now not a single virus detected.

Posted By: gen0me
Date Posted: 27 July 2017 at 9:39pm
Originally posted by markie markie wrote:

It shows 4Gb with 2.99Gb useable. Not sure what that means.

Task manager shows between 30% and 50%

Check the windows versions. 64bit/32bit/x86.
There was something with wrong translations between them so the OS couldnt use the whole ram.

Do yo "shut down" pc or "sleep" it?

Posted By: nickyburnell
Date Posted: 05 August 2017 at 12:33pm
The Win 7 updates issue is long fixed.

http://www.computerworld.com/article/3086811/microsoft-windows/microsoft-releases-kb-3161647-kb-3161608-to-fix-slow-windows-7-update-scans.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.computerworld.com/article/3086811/microsoft-windows/microsoft-releases-kb-3161647-kb-3161608-to-fix-slow-windows-7-update-scans.html

See my posts below in detail.  That IObit suite is OK too, BUT make sure it's got from the right place.

https://forum.speakerplans.com/laptop-trouble_topic97251.html" rel="nofollow - https://forum.speakerplans.com/laptop-trouble_topic97251.html

32 bit Win install will only SHOW 2.9 to 3.4 RAM. This is OK on 32, 64 bit needs 4gb proper at least now.  Eset make the best anti virus IMHO period and I have it on 100 plus desks. AVG and Avast have gone to the dogs, McDafty is a **nt etc..

-------------
It's everything, not everythink!

Posted By: jazomir
Date Posted: 07 August 2017 at 11:17pm
Could also be a dodgy ethernet cable. I had this problem a couple of years ago when may daughter's Chihuahua chewed the CAT5 link to my router. Also, if you have it, Ashampoo Win Optimiser5 is quite a useful tool for cleaning up dodgy registry entries that can also cause stress on your HDD and help identify other problem areas. (Pretty much all the fuctionality in WO5 is available  through 'Windows Administrative Tools' - WO5 simply forms a nice front end for it.)

-------------
For sidefills, can we have two enormous things of a type that might be venerated as Gods by the inhabitants of Easter Island, capable of reaching volumes that would make Beelzebub soil his pants.

Posted By: kedwardsleisure
Date Posted: 11 August 2017 at 11:43am
yes, dogs and CAT5 have never got on well together

-------------
Kevin

North Staffordshire

Posted By: jazomir
Date Posted: 11 August 2017 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by kedwardsleisure kedwardsleisure wrote:

yes, dogs and CAT5 have never got on well together
Arf, arf!!

-------------
For sidefills, can we have two enormous things of a type that might be venerated as Gods by the inhabitants of Easter Island, capable of reaching volumes that would make Beelzebub soil his pants.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2023 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net