URL: https://forum.speakerplans.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=99070
Printed Date: 16 April 2024 at 5:14pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: What flat-sounding speakers to buy for sound thera
Posted By: quick_frog
Subject: What flat-sounding speakers to buy for sound thera
Date Posted: 19 August 2017 at 3:25pm
Hi!

I need a pair of speakers for sound therapy (for oversensitive hearing). I am looking for a flat or near-flat frequency response curve or something that I can equalize out. The other acoustic properties, like transient response don't matter since there will be continuous noise played back.

Durability: I need it to last about 3-5 years with 6 hour daily use. The sound level will be similar to the background noise which is traffic noise through a window, and it will be raised slowly about 34 decibels from there.

Budget: You tell me... Suggest speakers from multiple price ranges if you think it is appropriate.

My listening opportunities are limited. I would prefer buying mainly based on measurements.

What speakers do you suggest?

Thank you.

Replies:
Posted By: MarjanM
Date Posted: 19 August 2017 at 3:42pm
If you can specify the frequency range, and spl requirement, we can develop and build that system for you.

-------------
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713

Posted By: Jasonstry
Date Posted: 19 August 2017 at 5:58pm
Durability shouldn't be a problem. Frequency range might be, especially the lower frequencies. Also, do they have to be portable or will they be fixed? Is it one listener or a group and how far away will the listener(s) be?

-------------
Down with signatures!

Posted By: Pasi
Date Posted: 19 August 2017 at 11:02pm
Get a pair of Genelec's active monitors and you are sorted.

Posted By: jbl_man
Date Posted: 20 August 2017 at 9:55am
+1
Ditto that. A good set of hifi or studio monitors should do nicely.

-------------
Be seeing you.

Posted By: Risc_Terilia
Date Posted: 20 August 2017 at 10:02am
Originally posted by Pasi Pasi wrote:

Get a pair of Genelec's active monitors and you are sorted.

Thirded, this is the best way to go. 8000 series have a huge range of mounting options to.

Posted By: ceharden
Date Posted: 20 August 2017 at 8:45pm
As above, the main decision will be the low frequency extension you require.  I would imagine that almost all studio monitors would fit the bill, even fairly cheap ones.  Active ones are likely to make things easier from an installation point of view.

Might be worth trying something like the Behringer Truth series.  Might be quite budget but they are sold with measured frequency response graphs and are surprisingly good.

http://www.music-group.com/Categories/Behringer/Loudspeaker-Systems/Studio-Monitors/B2031A/p/P0252" rel="nofollow - http://www.music-group.com/Categories/Behringer/Loudspeaker-Systems/Studio-Monitors/B2031A/p/P0252

Date Posted: 13 June 2018 at 1:33pm
The case has delayed quite a lot. It is still a question what speakers I should buy.

The output is a digital audio player (line out) plugged into an Onkyo A-9010 amplifier, so I want passive speakers.

I asked Ascend, and since I live in the EU, the shipping fees and the insurance would increase the price a lot. ('Total for the order will be $298 for the speakers + $245 for shipping = $543'. Plus import tax.)

I think Philharmonic Audio and Chane are similar in this question, because they are in the US too and say similar things about shipping on their website.

I am interested in whether the Ascend would be still the best buy for me after the posting fees. Maybe there is something with better price:value ratio due to being available in the EU.

I could spend $300 - $600 total.

I have seen these brands more easily available: Mackie, Yamaha, JBL, Edifier, Wharfedale, Emotiva, "Electro-Voice", Alto, FS Audio, Malone, Adam, Tascam, KRK, Focal, Presonus, M-Audio, Tannoy, Pioneer...

There is a Genelec reseller in my country, but those speakers have XLR inputs.

The listening distance is 1 m, fixed, on a desktop, 1 listener.

As for the low end of the frequency range, 50-60 Hz is enough.

Posted By: MarjanM
Date Posted: 13 June 2018 at 3:01pm
Whats the problem with the XLR input? 

-------------
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713

Date Posted: 13 June 2018 at 3:45pm
The amplifier has "plain" wire outputs, can I connect those to XLR inputs?

Posted By: dylan-penguinmedia
Date Posted: 13 June 2018 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by quick_frog quick_frog wrote:

The amplifier has "plain" wire outputs, can I connect those to XLR inputs?

No. The XLR inputs (and subsequent built in amplifiers) mean the onkyo is totally redundant and unnecessary...

Posted By: cravings
Date Posted: 13 June 2018 at 3:55pm
having an amp is useful, but insisting on using it shouldn't steer you away from the right choice.

Posted By: csg
Date Posted: 13 June 2018 at 6:46pm
in this circumstance i would stick with the Onkyo amp and use passive speakers - to use active, you will need some kind of mixer to easily control level / volume, and to get one as quiet as the pre-amp stage in the Onkyo you will need to spend a bit of money.

There are a plethora of options available -lower end, small hifi speakers are generally tuned to sound "nice" with a small bump in the LF and HF response so i would stick with something studio related, or a hifi box made from a studio speaker supplier.

If your budget would run to it, something from ATC ( SCM7 would be perfect) or one of PMC's smaller options would be perfect.

-------------
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”

Posted By: edboom
Date Posted: 13 June 2018 at 9:41pm
Consider the effect the room will have on the freq. response. Wouldn't it make more difference than the type of speaker? I'm sure that eq will have to be applied to make the speaker/room combo flat, so is it totally critical that the speaker be flat? 

Posted By: JonB67
Date Posted: 13 June 2018 at 11:09pm
Tannoy reveals can be had for peanuts on ebay and gumtree. 

Whats the material being played?

Date Posted: 14 June 2018 at 8:58am
Originally posted by csg csg wrote:

in this circumstance i would stick with the Onkyo amp and use passive speakers - to use active, you will need some kind of mixer to easily control level / volume, and to get one as quiet as the pre-amp stage in the Onkyo you will need to spend a bit of money.

There are a plethora of options available -lower end, small hifi speakers are generally tuned to sound "nice" with a small bump in the LF and HF response so i would stick with something studio related, or a hifi box made from a studio speaker supplier.

If your budget would run to it, something from ATC ( SCM7 would be perfect) or one of PMC's smaller options would be perfect.

Thanks.

Originally posted by edboom edboom wrote:

Consider the effect the room will have on the freq. response. Wouldn't it make more difference than the type of speaker? I'm sure that eq will have to be applied to make the speaker/room combo flat, so is it totally critical that the speaker be flat?

Thanks, yes, the room might have a bigger impact, but I still aim for the flat frequency response of the speaker.

Originally posted by JonB67 JonB67 wrote:

Tannoy reveals can be had for peanuts on ebay and gumtree.

Whats the material being played?

The sound of sea waves or akin to that.

Date Posted: 14 June 2018 at 8:58am
Unless the source material is EQ’d to suit the system, I can’t see how any adjustments can be made with a hifi amp and a pair of passive monitors...

Date Posted: 14 June 2018 at 9:33am
Originally posted by dylan-penguinmedia dylan-penguinmedia wrote:

Unless the source material is EQ’d to suit the system, I can’t see how any adjustments can be made with a hifi amp and a pair of passive monitors...

The source material will be EQ’d.

Date Posted: 14 June 2018 at 12:17pm
in that case, choose any half respectable speakers, as you’ll be correcting speaker and room response peaks and troughs anyway...

Posted By: Xoc1
Date Posted: 14 June 2018 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by quick_frog quick_frog wrote:

The sound level will be similar to the background noise which is traffic noise through a window, and it will be raised slowly about 34 decibels from there.

So what is the background level that you are going to start from in DB
and what sort of distance are you likely to be from the speakers?
 To keep within the output of the amplifier you have chosen the background level would need to be less than about 0.02 watts to achieve the 34db increase
1 watt + 34db = 2512 watts...

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2023 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net