Print Page | Close Window

18" reflex sub ports

Printed From: Speakerplans.com
Category: Plans
Forum Name: Ported Enclosures
Forum Description: Post all your reflex and bandpass and 'other' boxes with holes in stuff here...
URL: https://forum.speakerplans.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=99089
Printed Date: 19 April 2024 at 2:37pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: 18" reflex sub ports
Posted By: stalian87
Subject: 18" reflex sub ports
Date Posted: 23 August 2017 at 3:04pm
Hey everyone,

I'd to like to build 2 reflex subs to sit on top of my 2 th18's. I found this build http://www.forum.poweraudio.ro/viewtopic.php?f=92&t=9643 but was wondering how i would calculate how big i need the 4 ports in that plan to be for the B&C SW115 driver?

I'd like my TH18's to run as sub bass, 60hz and below and these reflex subs between 60-125hz for more of a punch...

thanks for any help!
sal

Replies:
Posted By: kevinmcdonough
Date Posted: 23 August 2017 at 3:18pm
hey

download WinISD, a piece of software designed for creating reflex speakers. You'll be able to play with the sizes of the ports and see what changes that makes to the response, and decide what will suit yout driver best. 

K

Posted By: Hemisphere
Date Posted: 23 August 2017 at 3:24pm
If you want more punch you can probably do better than a reflex cabinet, and you certainly don't need one as large as the one you just linked to.

That's designed to play sub frequencies as well, so it won't be much punchier than what you have already.

Date Posted: 23 August 2017 at 3:56pm
ok cool, I'll give winISD a try!

Hemispere, you got any recommendations for a cab to suit my needs?

Posted By: gen0me
Date Posted: 23 August 2017 at 3:58pm
It seems like a bad idea. If you already have th18 build kick bins. Do you already have bc sw115? Its good subbas speaker. You need speaker for kick not subbass.

Date Posted: 23 August 2017 at 4:04pm
well I've actually got 2 BMS 18N862 drivers and they really kick ass but i defo want them more for sub bass so any driver and cab recommendations would be very welcome :)

Date Posted: 23 August 2017 at 4:09pm
It depends what sort of sound you're after. There are band-pass horn designs dedicated to that range, but they're basically designed for big systems, and they won't cross nicely at 60Hz (or even 80Hz really) with 1 per stack, and outdoors would be even worse.

If it were me I'd probably be thinking about a compact double 12", possibly reflex, possibly sealed, with a V shaped baffle.

Something like the middle enclosure in this picture:

That'll give a really punchy kick in a relatively compact box, and it'll be plenty to keep up with the TH18...but you may need to cross it a little higher than 60Hz. Unless you make it bigger or port it.

12" cones are just much tighter. You might even be able to find a 10" cone that suits your needs, and that would be even punchier still. Two good quality 10 or 12" midwoofers with high excursion in a sealed or vented v-baffle, vertically aligned as pictured, or horizontally aligned to match the width of the TH18 (it might be possible to get a perfect square front face so you could rotate them depending on preference)

I don't know of any ready-made designs that do exactly that, but It wouldn't be a huge task to design something like that. Not much harder than trying to adjust another vented enclosure for a driver it wasn't designed for, and the results would be much more suited to your needs.

Edit: What's your budget for woofers? B&C SW115 is 400 quid @ BlueAran.. 400 pounds will buy you a pair of very high quality 12's. A pair of BMS 12N620perhaps : http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=BMS12N620L&browsemode=manufacturer
That's only about 10% less cone area than 1x18"

Posted By: cookie-dj
Date Posted: 23 August 2017 at 4:20pm
RCF 4PRO is very similar to the above  
https://ibb.co/kDocSQ" rel="nofollow">

The drivers are still available too, even the 8" horn mounted speakers I believe were available the last time I checked (I was going to build these)
Edit: The mid driver is still available, but the H6000 horn flare is not.
The blue aran 8" phase plug horn & driver combo works in the same frequency band though Thumbs Up

-------------
You can't polish a turd!

Date Posted: 23 August 2017 at 4:37pm
good stuff, thank you...the double 12s with a v baffle seem like a good design maybe crossing at around 80hz.

was actually looking at the BMS driver and then also had a look at the Faital pro 12RS1066...http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=FTP12RS1066AP&browsemode=manufacturer

Date Posted: 23 August 2017 at 4:41pm
If you want to run  2x12's in a sealed arrangement down to even 75hz you'll need to give them a lot of power though. 

They can do it, but we're talking about somewhere around 1250w per driver to reach 125dB @ 75Hz, 130dB at 125Hz.

BMS do a ferrite 12 with incredible excursion capacity for 147 quid,  11mm xmax by conservative calculations, probably 15mm actual. (url= http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=BMS12S305L&browsemode=manufacturer%5d" rel="nofollow - http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=BMS12S305L&browsemode=manufacturer] http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=BMS12S305L&browsemode=manufacturer%5b" rel="nofollow - http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=BMS12S305L&browsemode=manufacturer[ /url])

Two of them in a vented box of 60 litres with 3000w of amp power gets up to 131.2dB, flat to 65Hz, or in a sealed box it's more like 125.5 at 75Hz and 128dB at 125Hz.

I think sealed would sound better but you could reach 128dB in a vented arrangement with 1500w, which would be safer on the drivers and cheaper. With 3000w you would need to carefully limit the RMS and peak levels.

The Faital drivers probably aren't efficient enough. In a sealed arrangement, two of them are only 89dB/watt at 80Hz. The BMS are only 2 or 3dB more efficient, but you can see it's already a struggle to get the SPL to meet the output of the TH18.

You could vent the Faital's to enhance their low end efficiency, but it would still barely exceed the efficiency of the BMS drivers in sealed, and if you can get away with a sealed design, that would be preferable.

Date Posted: 23 August 2017 at 4:43pm
could you not just go double 15" reflex for upper bass/kick? Seems the easiest way to get a nice kick (although I'm unsure on what sort of kick you are going for).
Reflex is easiest, BPH kick harder and louder, 15" Straight horns kick very well, but are just stupidly long

-------------
You can't polish a turd!

Date Posted: 23 August 2017 at 4:51pm
what dyou think of the faital pro's compared to the BMS 12S305? be nice to keep weight to a minimum as well..the faital's are lighter and seem to have better displacement than the BMS drivers, albeit with more power...

dual 15's will be simply to big for my needs. I need to compromise on size unfortunately.

EDIT: sorry just saw your faital comments :)

Date Posted: 23 August 2017 at 4:53pm

Date Posted: 23 August 2017 at 5:03pm
The Faital drivers only seem to have more excursion because they use a very optimistic method to calculate it. 

If we use the Faital calculation on the BMS driver, then it has not 11, but 14.33mm xmax, which for a 12" driver is insane, and for the price is a bargain imo. Yes, the weight is high, but only 4kg more than the SW115 you were looking at, and the size and weight of the enclosure itself would be at least 10kg lighter.

If you could justify the amp power to get them moving close to their excursion capacity, a pair of them in a compact vented or sealed box would kick as hard as anything imo. A Behringer iNuke 6000 would probably do it.

Date Posted: 23 August 2017 at 5:05pm
18 sound 18W750 could be a good bet...more sensitive that the BMS but slightly less xmax.

Date Posted: 23 August 2017 at 5:08pm
sorry posting real close to each other lol

I'm not considering the faitals anymore...

amp power shouldn't be a prob...i'll get whatever i need to get the best performance!

Date Posted: 23 August 2017 at 5:10pm
i've got the inuke 6000 already to drive 1 th18...gives me plenty of power although i would like slightly more..got a crown XTI4002 for the other th18 but i'm thinking of upgrading to 2 PKN XE6000's instead for the TH18s

Date Posted: 23 August 2017 at 5:12pm
18N862 should be great for br. Has potential for tapped horn but you need a right design. 18LW2400 has a bit stronger motor.
As classic br kicks choose speaker with low mms, medium qes. They are not expensive. Like
https://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=BMA15MI100" rel="nofollow - https://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=BMA15MI100
Or
https://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=FTP15PR400AP" rel="nofollow - https://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=FTP15PR400AP

Date Posted: 23 August 2017 at 5:16pm
Originally posted by gen0me gen0me wrote:

18N862 should be great for br. Has potential for tapped horn but you need a right design. 18LW2400 has a bit stronger motor.
As classic br kicks choose speaker with low mms, medium qes. They are not expensive. Like
https://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=BMA15MI100" rel="nofollow - https://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=BMA15MI100
Or
https://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=FTP15PR400AP" rel="nofollow - https://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=FTP15PR400AP
he wants 12" though

-------------
You can't polish a turd!

Date Posted: 23 August 2017 at 5:16pm
They're 1dB more efficient than the BMS at 75Hz, and their efficiency is the same at 60Hz (in a 60 litre enclosure). A few quid more expensive, a few hundred  grams heavier. Their response models less flat as well - it rises faster than the BMS, so while they're equal at 60Hz, by 125Hz the 18Sound is 2.5dB louder (the BMS is about 2.5dB louder at 125Hz, but the 18Sound is 5dB louder, so for sealed it's no good)

If you use a vented arrangement you can use that  to your advantage to get about 2dB extra efficiency overall, but you would need a larger box as well.

So for vented the 18sound is probably better, for sealed the BMS.

It's that huge xmax that makes the BMS really interesting for sealed though. Vented is often favoured for kick for the simple fact that you can get the full volume displacement of the front and the rear of the cone, so if the driver in a vented box has 7mm of xmax, you could say it's like 14mm equivalent of air movement in a sealed box.

But this driver actually has 14mm of xmax, and you can get it moving that far with a strong amplifier without overpowering the output of your TH18. (both drivers will move the full 14.33mm at 65Hz with 3000w input between them), with an output of 125-128.5dB from 69-125Hz.

Date Posted: 23 August 2017 at 5:24pm
good info man thank you! what you using to model drivers?

Date Posted: 23 August 2017 at 5:25pm
WinISD

Date Posted: 23 August 2017 at 5:31pm
Those 12" bms drivers are much more sub drivers than kicks. You could fit them in some horn though.

Date Posted: 23 August 2017 at 5:36pm
Why do you think it would be unsuitable as a kick driver?

Very low distortion, light carbon fibre cone, 3" voice coil. Seems like it should be fast and punchy. It says 'optimal for compact subwoofers' but I don't think that's intended as a limitation. (it is also called a 'bass midrange speaker')

The lower sensitivity makes it less suitable than the Eighteensound driver in a vented box, but in a sealed box it seems to tick all the, er.. boxes.

Edit: I guess the mms is not that low, but it has the motor strength to back it up. It's definitely not a traditional option, and there are faster drivers, but if you wanted something that hits hard like a bandpass horn or straight horn, without actually using a horn enclosure, this sort of driver in a sealed box would do well I think.

Date Posted: 23 August 2017 at 5:46pm
Its not a bad driver but there is no need for as huge xmax here and qes could be higher. So its waste of £.
Unless you are talking about kick section from the rcf top design where qes & qms is as in original.
Which 18sound?

Date Posted: 23 August 2017 at 5:56pm
It's one of the cheaper drivers we looked at so far.

I'm not sure I understand 'no need for huge xmax'. A kick bin that moves as much air as 2x 18" subs with 6.5mm xmax would be quite enjoyable. It's not needed but it's nice.

http://www.eighteensound.com/Products/Articles/Detail/catid/4059/eid/3391/12w750" rel="nofollow - http://www.eighteensound.com/Products/Articles/Detail/catid/4059/eid/3391/12w750

Date Posted: 23 August 2017 at 6:04pm
I would certainly prefer as much xmax as possible. Isn't the whole point of any subwoofer of any type to move as much air as possible?

Date Posted: 23 August 2017 at 6:30pm
Sometimes I'm not sure! I think it is but I haven't had that many opportunities to take a selection of different types of enclosures and compare them. But of the times I have, (none of which were exactly scientific) the ones that move the most air always seem the best to me. Usually reflex and sealed box systems.  The bass just seems to have something that's missing in the higher output systems.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the science completely, but it seems that when you've got a stack of speakers rhythmically pumping out several litres of air into the atmosphere, even if it quickly disperses, it's going to reach some of the sensory systems of people in the audience and register as something more than just plain air pressure.

People often speak like horn loaded enclosures have no downside so long as you account for them having less frequency extension in small stacks, but for me at least having less air movement per dB of SPL is another significant downside. I'd rather feel the bass more and have my eardrums split less, given the choice.

I'm sure that's oversimplifying things a lot, and I know you can feel pressure waves as well, but I prefer the feel of actual air movement, even if it's a subtle effect. It's probably less relevant when discussing large systems where no one ever goes anywhere near the actual speakers.

Edit: So another, slightly more sciencey way of looking at it, would be you've got your speakers, and they're pumping out air rhythmically as pressure waves (probably there's no clearly defined distinction between the two as I suggested), but due to the considerably more efficient loading characteristics of a front loaded horn, it much more efficiently converts those pressure waves into coherent waveforms which our ears perceive as soundwaves. 

Whereas with a bass reflex or sealed enclosure, the considerably less efficient loading means, although just as much physical air is radiated from the woofer (and thus 'felt' by our bodies, but not 'heard' by our ears), considerably less of it (frequently an order of magnitude less) is converted into coherent waveforms which are perceived by our ears. 

Or something like that. Maybe.

Date Posted: 23 August 2017 at 6:46pm
Well I guess efficiency is also important as are lots of other parameters.

There's always gonna be a trade off of some sort, it's finding the right balance for the intended use.

I'm gonna models some drivers and see what comes up.

Date Posted: 23 August 2017 at 7:05pm
Efficiency is definitely important. I think that's the trade-off people don't speak about very often but I'm sure it exists. Higher efficiency bass means more of the air movement of the cone is converted into sound energy, therefore less of the air moved by the cone is converted into inaudible pressure variations, which are also enjoyable. That seems to make sense.

So if you can afford the enclosures and the amps necessary to reach your desired SPL output while being as inefficient as possible, that's the best route to high quality sound reproduction. That's why I find the idea of the compact 2x12 kick bin appealing, because it seems to have the capacity to move a huge amount of air (as much as 2x average 18" woofers), in a 60 litre enclosure. It just needs a huge amount of amp power to get there, but I'm increasingly unconcerned about amp power what with these ultra-efficient (and stupidly cheap) new class D amps arriving. In terms of pure energy efficiency the biggest waste these days is in oversized enclosures (building them, and hauling them around to events), and the real elephant in the room, which is the energy people are using to travel to and from music events! It always dwarfs the energy used by the event itself so the only remaining concerns are logistics (can you get enough power from the mains or the generator?) and economics (can you afford the amps and the drivers?)

Date Posted: 23 August 2017 at 7:18pm
The other thing is the recent emergence of all these drivers that can actually take silly amounts of amp power in the first place. The idea of putting 1500w of amp power into a relatively cheap 12" woofer would be unthinkable a few years ago.

Date Posted: 23 August 2017 at 8:39pm
yeah, the world want's ever smaller, more portable subs but still have the same effect as a much larger cab, hence the rise in huge power class D amps and tougher drivers.

Date Posted: 23 August 2017 at 9:03pm
A lot of people are very hung up on the idea of efficiency, and there's nothing wrong with that, it's just easy to get stuck on a single aspect of efficiency (like the energy efficiency of an enclosure).

When you walk enough steps back in your thinking you see that everything counts towards the efficiency of the system, including the applications of the system itself.

Let's say you host an event on an island in the middle of nowhere with 114dB/watt sound system. Is that very efficient? Of course not! It's just efficient on one very limited dimension which is trivial when looking at the bigger picture.

Or coming back down to Earth a little, if you can fit your system in the boot of someone's car and hitch a lift to the gig, and it comprises a couple of ultra-high output full range boxes that play to 130dB down to 50Hz in a 20kg box), and a lightweight class D amp that runs them both, does it matter that the box is 94dB efficient? It's still more efficient than driving a van to take a full size system if all the event actually needed was 125dB to 50Hz? Doesn't matter if that system is 105dB efficient across the full range, it's still the more wasteful option in that case.

So it definitely helps when making a decision, to consider as accurately as you can, what your most likely intended applications are going to be (and what you can reasonably expect them to be). Will you ever have call to run the system on battery power for example? Or will running into that situation where your speakers need 6,000 watts and you can only be afforded 2,000 due to some onsite logistical issues with overloaded generators or ringmains be worth having that extra bit of fidelity and enjoyable experience for the vast bulk of other times when you're set up optimally? 

If you were going to expand your system to be much larger following the same 'money no object' approach to amplifier watts, then you will be guaranteed to run into issues of venues not having the juice available to power your rig to it's full potential.

Edit: I'm not saying people living on islands in the middle of nowhere shouldn't have access to great sound or events either, but the optimally efficient thing to do in that case, even if it was a one off festival from people around the world, would be to bring a system over to be entrusted to someone who lives on the island (possibly to the landowner as part payment for using their land), and left there so that future events that came to that island wouldn't have to lug another massive PA system over by plane. 

Posted By: sn95
Date Posted: 23 August 2017 at 10:35pm
Originally posted by gen0me gen0me wrote:

It seems like a bad idea. If you already have th18 build kick bins. Do you already have bc sw115? Its good subbas speaker. You need speaker for kick not subbass.
+ 1 used the 115 and build two more TH18.

Date Posted: 23 August 2017 at 10:57pm
not practical due to van size ect..I would love another 2 th18s but just not now. my max audience is also around 300 people to doesn't really merit another 2 th18s at the mo. 

Date Posted: 24 August 2017 at 12:20am
so i've had a go at sketching a 60L cab tuned at 70hz for the dual 12" drivers...according to winISD i need 2 ports of 6.33cm in length but where would they go...just can't figure it out with this kind of baffle...I can only assume i need to extend the end of the baffle by 6.33cm towards the back wall?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_XE8UpzG2cvTlF6a2NKLVB0a00" rel="nofollow - https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_XE8UpzG2cvTlF6a2NKLVB0a00
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_XE8UpzG2cvV29DYWVlc0sxZlE" rel="nofollow - https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_XE8UpzG2cvV29DYWVlc0sxZlE

Date Posted: 24 August 2017 at 12:54am
You don't want the vent to be too thin if you can avoid it. That much air rushing through a very thin vent, even if the models say it'll work, it could cause problems. You also need to check port speed velocity at maximum input. 

With 1500w into the enclosure, a port like you suggested reaches 52m/s. You want it below 30m/s really. Maybe stretch to 35m/s but many would recommend lower than that.

If you wanted to drive 2000 watts into the box, then you would need a vent 30 x 10cm (or equivalent) and 16.7cm long to keep vent velocity below 34m/s.

You're only using 7.5mm of excursion at that level as well, so what Gen0me was saying about wasting money on high xmax drivers is more or less correct if you're using a vented box. You could always make the vent bigger for higher power input, but once you go beyond about 9mm or so then the vent size is probably getting impractically large for a compact box.

You could just make the vent run right underneath the V baffle, since it needs to be longer than the baffle is deep (or it could at least be adjusted so it would be that long).

I still think there's a case to be made for the sealed option on the BMS, for size, simplicity and tightness of impact (or perhaps more accurately, 'body' or weight of impact). (It's 4-5dB less SPL in parts than the vented options but you could design the crossover from the TH18 carefully so that this dip was never apparent). I'm obviously speculating a bit there, so that's the last time I'll mention it I promise :)

Edit: Sorry, I couldn't help myself. 

What I've done is normalised the output levels for a sealed box design (with the BMS 12s305) and a vented box (with the 18sound 12w750), so they're +/- 1dB between 68 and 125Hz (so a negligible difference in the real world), both in 60 litre enclosures.

The BMS takes 1500w per driver to reach this level, the 18Sound just 350w, so you have a lot more available headroom with the vented box, and honestly the sealed box will struggle to keep up with the TH18, especially when it's corner loaded. On the plus side, for the same volume level you're getting about 60% extra air displacement plus the subjectively tighter sound of a sealed arrangement (218% extra - 318% total - displacement from the front side of the cone, but none from the back side).

If you wanted to go to absolute 'pimp my rig' levels of performance, you could actually fit 4x 12s305 into one 80 litre sealed enclosure and still be +/-1dB across the specified frequency range compared to 2x 12w750 in a 60 litre vented enclosure (effectively 70+ once you factor the vent).

So, approximately the same size box, same output level with double the power input, or -3dB with the same power input. (133/130dB). No possible issues then of matching output with the TH18, and an output equivalent to 2x 18" woofers with 13mm xmax, in one relatively compact kick bin. (or 318% of the total air moved by a pair of vented 12's at normalised SPL levels - 636% of the front of the cone, 0% of the back)

Just two major downsides. Looking at an enclosure of about 50kg (but you could split it into two doubles of 28kg each and use one or two depending on the level needed for the gig - that would also offer the added benefit of adjustable stack height), and second is the cost of drivers at about 600 quid. But you should be able to get the price down below 125 each if buying 8. BlueAran have been known to give discounts to SP members ie.

Actually I've got my numbers way out here. It's much better than I suggested. You can see from the excursion graph easily enough. The 60% figure (from which the 318% and 636% were derived) only accounted for the peak excursion. If you include the average excursion across the 65-125Hz range (which we should do if we're representing music), it's  probably closer to to 120%, 636%, 1272%.

Date Posted: 24 August 2017 at 6:41am
Thanks for the info man!

Seems I should think about exactly which I would prefer. Obviously size is a factor and although I could split the sealed boxes in 2 halves as suggested, it's still gonna take up a lot of van space if I needed all 4 compared to only ever needing only 2 vented boxes. Also, it seems I'll be pushing the sealed boxes fairly hard for a lot longer than a vented box (not sure if this should be a factor)
I'm gonna look at some other drivers with less xmax to model in the vented as well.

I'm gonna redesign the vented box as you suggested and see how it comes out and also design the sealed and check sizes etc.

Posted By: JonB67
Date Posted: 24 August 2017 at 8:12am

Edit... didn't spot other replies. Already been said!

Date Posted: 24 August 2017 at 11:37am
For what it's worth, some of the best midtops I've ever heard (and if you Google the model number you can find heaps of praises for them, with comments often in the vein of 'most hifi midtops I have ever heard' (Google 'Opus Audio AT2000 hifi'), are the Opus AT2000. A monster-size enclosure, 150kg with a Community M4 on mids and something smaller for the high end.

The bass end is covered by 4x 10 or 12" on a sealed v-baffle arrangement not unlike what I'm suggesting, although I recall from memory that they mount them on quite a deep baffle so as to leverage a degree of horn loading to that section. About twice as deep as the design you showed, with a sharper angle inwards, and a touch of exponential expansion as well. Can't find any pictures of what they look like under the grille to confirm unfortunately.

I don't know if he still uses this e-mail but I found the address of Speakerplans member Opus Jody in a search for details about the AT2000. If you're considering the 4x12" sealed arrangement he might be able to confirm one way or another from experience if it's viable or likely to give the sound you're looking for jody@opuspocus.co.uk

The low section in the AT2000 is geared to run all the way up to meet the low end of a community M4 though..so probably not what you're looking for in a kick bin! Depends how low they were meant to cross. All data sheets seemed to have vanished from the Intertubes.

You don't need to drive the sealed enclosures harder than the vented if you have four, they'll just be 3dB quieter if you drive 4x sealed with the same power as you would put into 2x vented, but will still shift prodigious amounts of air (as much as 4x vented 12's in 140 litres), spread across a much broader frequency band. You would only be putting 750w into each driver rather than 1500w though, so the actual difference could be closer to 1.5dB after factoring in power compression.

If you were running them at 750w per driver and that level of SPL was acceptable, you could use a lower excursion driver with a lighter/faster cone. Anything over 9mm xmax or so would do. There's probably even a neo driver out there that fits the bill at a reasonable price, light enough to have a whole 4x12" one box solution closer to 30kg.

Another option to consider if you wanted to go light and tight (but sacrificing some compactness) would be 4x Faital 12FH500 in a 120 litre sealed box. http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=FTP12FH500AP&browsemode=manufacturer#

3.9kg per driver with 7.5mm xmax, 21.55m xlim. With 3000w, 4 of these produce 129dB at 75Hz (slightly exceeding rated xmax), about 1.5dB less output than the vented box. If you could keep under 20kg of cabinet materials that could come to around 35kg in a 55cm cubed enclosure.

Date Posted: 24 August 2017 at 12:44pm
Sealed is certainly sounding more enticing! I wonder if I could angle the baffles vertically as well as horizontally to narrow down the height of the box of 4x12". I don't really fancy a box taller than 50cm if I can help it. I defo need to keep the width the same as the th18 for aesthetic reasons which is just about doable.

Date Posted: 24 August 2017 at 1:00pm
The faital looks good...I'm not at home at the mo but wanted to model the 18sound 12nw530 which is light and has xmax of 8mm?

Date Posted: 24 August 2017 at 1:05pm
I'm sure a four way angled baffle is possible but I can't imagine how it would work in a way that was also easy to design and build, especially if you're trying to reduce the overall front dimensions to 57.5 x 50cm 

It would be so useful if it was possible it's worth thinking about though.

If not then it's minimum 65 x 57.5cm from the front...which poses the issue of a kick bin that doesn't extend very far backwards. What are the dimensions of the midtops?

The 18sound 12nw530 would be an amazing option if you can afford it. They're pretty dear at 188 quid each.

It performs very similarly to the 12FH500 except it doesn't have the same (relatively minor) excursion issue. It reaches it's limit with 3000w, again it's around the 129-132dB range for 4 with 3000w, but to be honest 750 quid on drivers for a kick-bin is getting a bit silly. I would try and get four drivers for less than 500 if possible (then it's easier to relate it to a pair of expensive drivers...but no 12" costs 375 pounds.)

Is your issue with dividing the kick section into two enclosures a practical one or aesthetic? Do you regularly encounter venues where you literally couldn't fit such a tall rig, and in those cases would it be a big problem to use just half of the kick section? If your highs are ending up too much above head height it's possible (if a bit of a hassle) to angle the top boxes a few degrees where necessary.

If you carried a 3000w amp for both sections, driving 750w into each driver, then in the times when you can't use both for whatever reason, you would still have 1500w of headroom left in the amp, so the difference in output between the half or full kick section wouldn't be too substantial....er, that would only apply with the high excursion BMS 12s305 though. Any of these other drivers mentioned are 750w per driver absolute max.

Date Posted: 24 August 2017 at 1:25pm
I have a great cnc guy who can cut absolutely anything so the hardest part will be putting it together and bracing it properly.

Well at the moment I'm using FBT CLA604A for the tops which actually sit in front of the th18s at the mo on a pole stand.

I'd like to change to something like the db tech mini dva which will need to sit on top

Date Posted: 24 August 2017 at 1:49pm
Erm. Neither of those midtops look particularly suitable for a ground stack system.

Why the dB Tech mini DVA? It's kind of a mini line-array style module. If you're stacking a TH18 + a kick bin + another enclosure, you probably just want a traditional midtop. 

Something like the Danley SM80 would be optimal. A high quality high output coaxial.

http://www.danleysound.com.au/products/loudspeakers/molded-synergy-horns/sm80" rel="nofollow - http://www.danleysound.com.au/products/loudspeakers/molded-synergy-horns/sm80

The drivers for these aren't cheap but if you can build it yourself it'll compare very favourably to commercial offerings. Coaxials are also compact on the vertical dimension, so that helps. Maybe ask your CNC guy if they can manage the fancy waveguide even (actually designing the waveguide is another matter..unless you can figure out the driver Danley is using (he generally uses off the shelf commercially available speakers) and use his design as a template.

At a guess, it uses the B&C 12CXN88 http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=BAC12CXN88&browsemode=category" rel="nofollow - http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=BAC12CXN88&browsemode=category

Eye-wateringly expensive but when you consider the price of a quality 12", plus compression driver and a horn to mount it to, it's a little more understandable. If Danley considers it good enough to put into his Synergy line of speakers, in what, at least on the surface appears to be nothing more than a closed box + waveguide design (there are some little 'Synergy horn' style holes in the front but they're so small I'm fairly sure they're not functional - large bolts perhaps? Or tiny tiny ports..?), then that's a serious testament to their quality.

It's not clear from the spec sheet whether the Mini DVA is 126dB for both modules or 126dB for each module, but at best it's 132dB and you can match that with the B&C coax in a comparably compact and lightweight box. The DVA is about 1,300 Euros, so you'd be saving money considerably even after factoring cost of enclosure and amps/processing for the coax.

To be honest considering the power supply is only 400w and it's using 4x 6.5" drivers, there's no way it's 132dB. They're using intentionally misleading specifications. 'unit' means the whole thing, so it's 126dB total, which for 1300 Euros is just ridiculous. You're basically paying for the exotic form factor.

Posted By: toastyghost
Date Posted: 24 August 2017 at 2:40pm
Bear in mind that the SM80 uses a pretty abnormal sealed back horn shape and mostly, a Synergy patented custom passive crossover network that takes advantage of that horn pattern. No filters or ports on the horn as it rolls off from approx 120Hz. The driver is a big part of it of course, and you're right that it's a high end B&C unit, but I would always 100% take one over a box or two of a mini line array.

Our pair coupled with 2x TH118 a side handles 300+ crowds for live music no sweat whatsoever.

Date Posted: 24 August 2017 at 2:43pm
to be honest, the only reason why i'm using the FBT is cos i tend to use them at smaller gigs with their CLA208a subs and they work really well. I haven't bothered buying any other tops as these perform better than you think as mid tops but saying that i'm not entirely happy with them.

I might look into making some midtops but to be honest i'll probs just buy a good pair. I've seen a mini array (much like the DVA) on top of a dual 18" sub and 1 mid bass driver and it sounded amazingly clear! I guess they are expensive for what you get but compared to other line array type cabs, they're pretty cheap.

Not saying i can't get the same clarity with a good coaxial midtop, by the way :)

Date Posted: 24 August 2017 at 2:44pm
how much is the SM80?

Posted By: toastyghost
Date Posted: 24 August 2017 at 2:50pm
Probably best if you drop us an email for prices but here's a video of one SM80 in direct A-B comparison to a guy's 3x QSC KLA12 which is a cut above the DVA Mini https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9ITyQALXPg

Just a note on your kick design though, do bear in mind the phase response of a ported enclosure in comparison to the tapped horn. There's a good chance that you'll struggle to get them to work together well due to vastly different phase responses / group delay even if you're happy with each design by itself.

Date Posted: 24 August 2017 at 2:57pm
I guess I'm just thinking about aesthetics really. Maybe that's not such a big deal, but if you had a 6 or 8 box system, with the TH18, kick bins and coax tops, you could give it all a coherent aesthetic. Matching paint, grilles, cabinet hardware etc. There's something satisfying about a system that looks as well as sounds coherent.

Date Posted: 24 August 2017 at 3:00pm
to be honest, i can guarantee it'll be out of my price range lol!

I'm also gonna go the sealed route even if it means a slightly larger cab.

I may be tempted to design a coaxial midtop but i wouldn't know where to start!

Date Posted: 24 August 2017 at 3:02pm
yep aesthetics are a huge thing for me. I've got the TH18's sprayed in a gorgeous metallic black which sparkles nicely with uplighters and so i'll need the whole rig to eventually look exactly the same.

I'll upload a couple pics of my th18s

Date Posted: 24 August 2017 at 3:04pm
hey

For your original design brief of a kick cab, I think you'd be hard pushed to do much better than a high quality 15" driver in a compact box. Playing 60 Hz up excursion wont be a massive problem, so you'll be able to throw quite a lot of power at it and I think 1 would keep up with 1 tapped horn not too bad. While its great to think about having cabs with 4 12" drivers and such, I think you'd be looking at massive complication and a huge heavy cab that would be less than ideal for transporting. 

However if you were looking to change your tops, you could look at Peter Morris' DIY90 from the SoundForums page. 

http://soundforums.net/forum/low-earth-orbit/diy-audio/11601-new-diy-mid-high" rel="nofollow - https://soundforums.net/forum/low-earth-orbit/diy-audio/11601-new-diy-mid-high

It has some fairly expensive drivers in it, and needs good quality processing to achieve its best, but everyone who hears it pretty much regards it as one of the best speakers they have ever heard, brand name or otherwise. 

K

Date Posted: 24 August 2017 at 3:08pm
Originally posted by Stalian87 Stalian87 wrote:

I may be tempted to design a coaxial midtop but i wouldn't know where to start
At it's most basic, it's just a sealed box enclosure. Danley does all the fancy stuff and it will sound better of course, but there are always diminishing returns with design enhancements like that. (it's a relatively big and heavy box for a start, it wouldn't fit your compact requirements)

Here's a BMS coaxial stage wedge, for example:

Date Posted: 24 August 2017 at 3:11pm
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_XE8UpzG2cvemNaRnNDWHlPc28%20" rel="nofollow - https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_XE8UpzG2cvemNaRnNDWHlPc28
not the best pic but you can roughly see the shine on it.

yeah you're right, it will be pretty big and heavy but would i get that punch as well as 4 12"s?

Date Posted: 24 August 2017 at 3:12pm
i almost built 2 wedges a few years ago actually with coax drivers so midtops would practically be the same thing.

Date Posted: 24 August 2017 at 3:31pm
Originally posted by kevinmcdonough kevinmcdonough wrote:

I think you'd be looking at massive complication and a huge heavy cab that would be less than ideal for transporting. 
If it's split into two boxes then each 2x12 half would be smaller than a 15" vented kick bin.

One 2x12 sealed can reach 129-132dB across the required range (with the BMS 12s305), and you won't readily exceed that with a smaller/lighter 15" vented box.

Although that BMS has a slightly heavier cone of 95g Mms, it's high BL of 20.14 means it's similar to other 12" drivers with 65-75Mms

Punchier/faster options, with 50-60g Mms require two double 12's to reach SPL in the 130's, but can still manage 125dB with just one double enclosure, and it sounds like that'll be enough in many cases (if the 126dB dB mini line array is considered a serious option).

It's definitely an extra hassle but surely the bottleneck of weight and mobility in this system will always be the TH18, which is like 415 litres external dimensions. We're talking about something like 100-115 litres external for each kick section with 4x12 sealed. (80 litres internal + wood/hardware + the space in front of the v-baffle, which actually adds a little to the performance which we can't readily calculate in WinISD)

My thinking is that if the kick is powerful enough, with plenty of weight to the sound around 65Hz but not too much SPL that it overpowers the TH18, it could effectively stave off the desire for another pair of TH18's, so the potential for keeping the system portable in the long run would be higher.

Date Posted: 24 August 2017 at 3:50pm
i agree

Date Posted: 24 August 2017 at 4:08pm
Sorry, I've got the numbers way off there. It's 125-129 for 2x12 with the BMS, 131-135dB with 4x12

With a more lightweight driver (50-60g Mms, 8-9mm xmax), it's generally around 122-127 for 2x12 or 128-132 with a 4x12. (with half the amp power required of the BMS, but no more headroom available)

That's across the 70-125Hz range with a rising response, 20 litres sealed enclosure per driver. You can get an extra dB gain in the low end of the range with 30 litres per driver.

Date Posted: 24 August 2017 at 4:46pm
I'm gonna go for the 4x12 but looks like I have to make the box higher than wanted cos I can't simply work out how to create the baffles to vertically and horizontally align accurately! Using sketchup and just can't figure out an easy way to do that! If anyone can help that'll be appreciated!

Date Posted: 24 August 2017 at 4:51pm
Originally posted by stalian87 stalian87 wrote:

I'm gonna go for the 4x12 but looks like I have to make the box higher than wanted cos I can't simply work out how to create the baffles to vertically and horizontally align accurately! Using sketchup and just can't figure out an easy way to do that! If anyone can help that'll be appreciated!

A good idea of how this possible would be to look at the pic Kyle posted of the inside of the Danley cabs on the "how do Danley speakers work" thread. They have a 4 way angled baffle, which in that case obviously makes the walls of the Synergy horn, but the way it goes together may trigger some ideas on how you could do your own design. 

K

Date Posted: 24 August 2017 at 5:19pm
If anyone is the master of squeezing an implausibly large amount of drivers into a small space it's Danley.

It's worth considering that for the 65-125Hz frequency range, the 12" drivers really don't need to be facing anything like straight forwards. The resulting look of a design that works might not look like it will work well at all, so if you can only see one way that they could physically fit within your size requirements, and it doesn't look like it'll work, try it anyway. Hopefully someone can tell just from looking at it.

There are a few other unusual loading types for lots of drivers in a small space like push/pull designs, but don't know how they work exactly or if they would be appropriate.

Date Posted: 24 August 2017 at 5:28pm
Ok thank you both, out now but will research a bit later :)

Date Posted: 24 August 2017 at 9:34pm
Looking at the height of your subs, and considering a midtop could easily be designed to be between 35 and 55cm, even if your kick section was 65cm you'd be looking at somewhere between 200 and 225cm overall stack height, depending on whether the kick is in two sections and how tall your midtop is, which is typical, if not optimal, for a system like this. If it's at the high end of that number and the kicks were in two sections you could adjust the height to 190cm for low ceilings, cosy/intimate gigs, or gigs where the system is going to be raised on a stage already, and you could definitely design the midtops to be pole-mountable so there wouldn't be any situations you couldn't work with.

A close commercial equivalent of what you're trying to achieve is the HK Audio Linear 5 system. 'big venue pack'.  http://hkaudio.com/products.php?id=400" rel="nofollow - http://hkaudio.com/products.php?id=400

That's 233cm tall. Their smaller 'rock pack' is 201cm. That's fairly typical. If anything the 'rock pack' is a little shorter than a typical compact ground stack.

Another benefit of designing your own midtops is you could give them that unusual 57.5cm wide form to match the rest of the stack. A set up with the TH18 and then 3 matched dimension boxes, all 57.5 x 34cm from the front (with the midtop box being not quite so deep), could look very neat. You'd get a good visual balance of two sections 'the bass', and 'the rest', each approximately 1 metre tall.

Something like this ie: 

And in 'short stack' mode:

Date Posted: 25 August 2017 at 1:21am
well i've given it a go in sketchup and man it was frustrating but got the box down to 50cm tall but i may just end up with doing 2 boxes of around 32cm tall each as you've suggested to save on a design nightmare!

they'd look pretty cool though!

to be honest, not even sure there's enough clearance for the drivers....i think they'll just about fit Confused

Date Posted: 25 August 2017 at 1:30am
That looks amazing. Are you sure it's got enough internal volume behind the baffle though? 80 litres is the bare minimum really.

Space in front of the baffle doesn't count towards the enclosure size..but as mentioned it will have some impacts on the sound reproduction which are harder to predict. But will probably be positive in terms of the character of the sound and perceived impact delivered by the box. Appearances are important too and can have a slight placebo effect. It looks loud and punchy.

The diamond shape in the middle could be braced to the rear wall if you needed to extend it a few cm back. If you gave it a cross brace behind the woofers, and possibly even some partially decorative braces in front of the baffle (bracing along the middle of the four flat faces ie), it'd be a seriously solid box. It definitely risks getting into impractically heavy/large territory though, even with lightweight drivers.

Date Posted: 25 August 2017 at 1:38am
That's the one thing I forgot to measure so in the morning I'll do that. I've still got around 12-15cm of depth to play with if I need more volume which I'll probs will do. I can also cut the baffles slightly more forward to give me more volume as well

Date Posted: 25 August 2017 at 10:05am
the volume is unfortunately only 52l and i've already extended the rear to the max and cut the baffles further so look like i can do this with a 50cm high box :( back to the drawing board.

I actually like the look of the 1 box so i'd prefer to keep it as 1 and just extend the height to 60cm and see what the volume ends up being.

Date Posted: 25 August 2017 at 11:02am
That'll probably increase the volume to 75 since you can shift the baffle forwards a bit when there's more space to work with.

You can also stuff the enclosure with fibre fill to increase the apparent volume of the box. When you factor that in, you can probably get away with 57.5 height which would give you a good neat square.

The mouth of the TH18 is approximately square shaped right? So that would be a good balance. (if it isn't exactly square shape, perhaps work out what ratio it actually is and copy that for the kick bin)

We're talking very, very negligible differences in output though (the difference between 80 and 120 litres is only 1dB). A lot of the practicality of the box rests on the weight of the wood. 4x12" could be 14kg, so watch the volume of wood. Assuming a rule of thumb 1g per CC (I think it's something like that for ply?) a single 60x60x1.8cm panel alone is 6.5kg. 5 of them plus baffle and bracing that's 6 is 53kg with the drivers. If you use well braced 15mm ply and 55cm panels it's 41kg

So think about the fibre stuffing, and consider that even if it's 30 litres undersize it'll only be about 1dB less efficient, and the stuffing will smooth the response. 40kg is viable then. (not suggesting 30 litres undersize is okay though, as mentioned 80 is really low for 4 12's already, but it wouldn't be a disaster if it was 70 or so)

In terms of pure sound quality you'll still be better doing it in halves though. Having 30-35kg or so per half to play with would open up many options. Cheaper/higher quality ferrite drivers, 18mm plywood, better bracing, etc. You really don't want to skimp on the box quality if you can help it. 4 12's running flat out in one box is a lot to handle. Then again you would lose the possible benefits of the exotic angled baffle.

Edit: When you say you cut the baffles, do you mean you moved it forwards? It looks like you could move it quite a lot forwards, if you could find a practical way to square off the front of the box.

It doesn't need to be so wide open.

You can also mount the drivers with their magnets facing outwards, and that will work absolutely fine (and if you can find drivers with well designed magnet structures, potentially look amazing). If you modelled them facing inwards then you'll gain about 8-12 litres from doing that.

Something you might want to consider is designing the box so that it can be ported, perhaps even so you could switch it between ported and sealed with a single adaptor mounted to the middle panel. There's always a possibility you would prefer the ported sound, and even if you prefer sealed it would mean if you ever did expand your bass section, you wouldn't need to build new kick bins, you could just open up the port and they would keep up with 2x TH18.

Date Posted: 25 August 2017 at 12:13pm
yep i got around 75 after changing the size.

so basically i've positioned the diamond shaped plate further forward thus cutting the baffles from the rear...that gave me more volume to play with.

now i've always wondered whether theres a difference in performance with front vs rear mounted drivers?
cos if i can mount them outwards, that'll save some hassle of making sure they can actually fit inside.

i was thinking about that last night...to make the diamond shaped panel a port panel! I'll need to measure it carefully though as for now it's just a plate.

Date Posted: 25 August 2017 at 12:23pm
where can i buy port covers/caps to close them off? do they exist?

Date Posted: 25 August 2017 at 12:28pm
In the 65-125Hz range? Zero difference. At higher frequencies it can cause problems with dispersion and directionality (and other issues besides), but you're not reproducing directional frequencies.

Quote where can i buy port covers/caps to close them off? do they exist?
Not that I know of. I was thinking a DIY job. A piece of ply with the port built into it, which you mount onto a larger cut-out hole like you would with a speaker driver. It might be a trick to do it optimally but it should be possible.

You could even design it so that the port extended outwards in front of the baffle. With the port, drivers and grilles all sitting in that empty space there would be a lot less waste overall.

Ported is absolute overkill for 4x12 with 1x18" TH though, so it's an unnecessary design risk and you could probably modify the box later on if you ever really needed it.

Date Posted: 25 August 2017 at 2:38pm
flip sake, i wrote a huge paragraph and then refreshed the page and lost it!

anyway, i'm not too bothered about weight as my th18s are 100kgs each but size is a little more of a priority although it looks like i'll be compromising on that as well!

I'll defo still to the 1 box 4 drivers idea as i really like the look and i'm sure it'll kick some butt!
I'm gonna forget the ports for now.
unfortunately front mounting might not fit so i'm gonna have to stick with rear mounting and stuff some fibre to compensate on the smaller volume.

just added some drivers for graphical purposes.

Date Posted: 25 August 2017 at 3:17pm
Are you certain reverse mounting won't fit? The Faital Pro 12FH500s we looked at have a very suitable magnet/chassis structure for that sort of thing - They look even better from the rear than from the front, and the neo magnets are quite long and narrow.

It's worth rendering the woofers with some degree of accuracy (approximate dimensional accuracy at least) and actually seeing for sure. My instinct says they will fit fine. 

Tom Danley always renders his components in intricate detail, as you can see from his promotional materials. That's one of the main tricks to fitting lots of drivers in a small space.

The other midtop that was recommended in this thread (I forget the name.. by Peter somebody, with the dual 12" horn loaded low end), even makes sure the bass drivers are rotated to exactly the right angle that the compression driver fits in the gaps between the chassis supports, to within a cm or two of clearance.

Edit: If you're confident enough in the quality of your CNC guy's work to make the shapes you've rendered so far, I think there is a possibility to move the baffle even further forwards, by cutting the space in front of the cutouts like you did the space behind, and squaring off the end, perhaps recessed by a couple of cm from the front so each flat corner works as a mounting point for the grille.

Posted By: smitske96
Date Posted: 25 August 2017 at 3:21pm
I own two TH-18's as wel, and i'm also thinking to expand the system with a kick section.
But the kick, must also be used as a simple stand-alone sub from 45/50 Hz up.

The idea of Hemisphere was exactly what I had in mind. My idea was first one (later two)15" kick/sub, probably light cone driver. And a BMS coax on top.

For now I have two front loaded 12/1.4 mid highs, so combining those with a small 15" would be really flexible.

Date Posted: 25 August 2017 at 4:23pm
yeah i'll have a look again at front mounting and cutting the baffles from the font so i can extend the box rearwards to gain more internal volume.

Posted By: odc04r
Date Posted: 25 August 2017 at 4:46pm
It's an interesting box design, but will be a nightmare to build and brace well. Pretty short horn path too. None the less, why not go for it. Got to keep life interesting.

Date Posted: 25 August 2017 at 5:04pm
It's only playing up to 125Hz so any benefits from the 'horn' (on SPL/frequency response at least) won't be significant. Ideally it would be even shorter than it is. Could be cut down to 35cm or so?

Looking at it, I can't immediately see a way that those angled baffles could be cut without cutting angles on both sides of the wood. If you've only got to cut angles on one side then you should be able to get the cuts precise enough  to assemble.. but those angled baffles have a lot of joining edges. 

They've got to sit flat against the enclosure walls, flat against each other, and ideally flat against one of the four braces that should run along the the seams where the angled baffles join.

For those braces you could possibly take something like 2 sheets of 10 or 12mm ply, stuck up against each other, each cut with an angle on the inwards facing edge which matches the angle that the angled baffles will be sitting. That might do it. I think then all the angled cuts on the baffle sections would be on the underside.

Date Posted: 25 August 2017 at 5:19pm
Yep, lots of weird and wonderful angles but should be straight forward for my cnc guy. Once I get a 2D plan for each piece, ill then see if these baffles are even cuttable but I'm pretty sure they'll be fine.

He's cut some messed up angled pieces for me in the past with no issues so hopefully same story here. It's gonna costa pretty penny though as every side on each baffle has a different angle.

Date Posted: 25 August 2017 at 5:57pm
Would it be inappropriate to suggest splitting it into two boxes again at this stage? :D

Date Posted: 25 August 2017 at 6:17pm
Haha yes very much so! I love the look so much I'm gonna make this work if it's the last thing I do ;) I love a challenge.

By the way, can someone please explain exactly what a. Synergy horn is? I'd love to build one to finish my stack at some point.

In the Danley sm80, is there more drivers than the 12" coax in that box?

Posted By: Crashpc
Date Posted: 29 October 2017 at 12:54pm
Bhaha, I can see where you´re going.
Looks nice indeed. I´m thinking about downsizing (not by absolute size, but size per piece), and I have no idea how to do it right. One day, I´ll find it....

Synergy horn is a horn. :-D
The magic around it is, that it is made to produce the whole band (often with support of subwoofers, but can do without). I.E. All speakers work in a single horn, compared to conventional designs, where each band had to have its own horn. Now it´s all in one, so to speak...
Of course, once you need all speakers to play in a single horn, things get very complex and difficult to make.

-------------
Nikon and Canon people should not be married to each other. Why did you let this happen?

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2023 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net