Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pro light & Sound @ Messe, 2017.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2017 at 4:11pm
Bozz Scags - Thanks to you is one the most praised songs that audiophile people use for demonstrations.
So it is widely used for system demonstrations too.
It is excellent production with quite a lot of low end content and even if you dont know the song, you shouldn't be in problem recognizing what a good system is. 

Edited by MarjanM - 19 April 2017 at 4:15pm
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2017 at 4:17pm
Personally, I wouldn't play any modern FM-radio-Pop recordings to demonstrate a system's capabilities unless I knew the client would need to hear it. Judgements about the artistic content of such records aside, it can't tell you anything about the dynamics or subtleties of the system - just how loud it can go without breaking. It's all super-maximised and frankly sounds terrible at high volume.  All you get is three-and-a-half minutes of RAWRRRRRRR and then ringing ears.

Whereas artists like Steely Dan or Pink Floyd, with the careful use of light and shade in their classic recordings - you can crank that sh1t right up and it just gets better.

If you want to clear a testing arena in 60 seconds, stick on "Gantz Graf" by Autechre at war volume....it sure as hell demonstrates what a system can do in terms of dynamics and frequency range, but will make small children cry LOL
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
Racks&Stacks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Racks&Stacks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2017 at 4:23pm
Originally posted by Elliot Thompson Elliot Thompson wrote:

Originally posted by Racks&Stacks Racks&Stacks wrote:

Barring a few german pop songs, it seemed like a lot of the music being played from the various manufacturers was the same.  I forget the titles, but that female vocal with ever present "my love" and male "thanks to you" or something like that was on repeat.  For better or worse, there were some very well made recordings in the 80s

The 80's did have some songs with excellent mastering. The same thing applies to the 1990's and 2000. One of the pitfalls of demonstrating a loudspeaker system at an event held in 2017 using music primarily from the 1980's is going be that disconnect as Darkstar mentioned.

Chances are if you can relate to 1980's music there is a great possibility you were alive when such music was current. However, for those who were not alive in the 1980's, they will not have an idea how to determine the quality of the loudspeaker system based upon hearing music before their existence.

Variety is the key. A little bit of old music, a little bit of current music in addition to, a little bit of new music will get the message across easier than focusing primarily on playing music nearly 40 years old.    

Best Regards,

[/QUOTE]

I agree, but something else to consider, given that it is a trade fair, is the age of the people most likelyto be purchasing.  25 year olds do not buy 6 or 7 figures worth of gear, but it would certainly be smart to have more cutting edge content.
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2017 at 4:38pm
One of the systems played a song from the last Yello album. Can not be more cutting edge and good production then that, when modern music is in question.

Edited by MarjanM - 19 April 2017 at 4:39pm
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
Darkstar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darkstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2017 at 5:15pm
Originally posted by Elliot Thompson Elliot Thompson wrote:

Chances are if you can relate to 1980's music there is a great possibility you were alive when such music was current. However, for those who were not alive in the 1980's, they will not have an idea how to determine the quality of the loudspeaker system based upon hearing music before their existence.

Variety is the key. A little bit of old music, a little bit of current music in addition to, a little bit of new music will get the message across easier than focusing primarily on playing music nearly 40 years old.    

Best Regards,

I agree, although I was born in the 90's I am very aware both of how many instruments sound naturally and how music sounded back when there were no PAs. My grandfather was an audiophile and a Jazz freak/drummer, my father a saxophonist, so besides having heard them play I also have a massive collection of Vinyls which were either recorded in the studio or at a live concert. It's not quite the same thing, I know, but surely I can relate way easier than someone who only heard 60's, 70's, 80's music from mp3s or current loudspeaker systems.
In other words, I am aware of how a good recording sounds compared an actual acoustic live performance.

However, back to the topic.
FK1 played a bass guitar-only track the third day which basically felt as if you were playing the bass with some very good headphones on, like I said, dynamics were spot on. RCF had a damn band recorded purposely for their demo and yet it sounded way worse, especially when all the instruments were playing.
I am not endorsing FK1, I do not own a rig of theirs, nor I will own it anytime soon but whoever tells me it wasn't the best sounding system that day is in denial. Only KV2 audio was giving a challenge, if only they didn't go above the limit...
There were some some cancellation issues but anyone with a point source system had them, including Danley (although their L-R transition was much smoother).

As for the music they did not just stick to the 80's though, variety is key as you said and they did just that. Bit of 80's, bit of very recent electronic music, bit of less recent music but still well in the 2000s, etc.

Edited by Darkstar - 19 April 2017 at 5:17pm
Bass =/= Enough
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2017 at 6:07pm
Originally posted by studio45 studio45 wrote:

If you want to clear a testing arena in 60 seconds, stick on "Gantz Graf" by Autechre at war volume....it sure as hell demonstrates what a system can do in terms of dynamics and frequency range, but will make small children cry LOL

Been there, done that. Reniform Puls and Iera also… My lot banned me from playing some tracks in my playlist cos people have gotta work still and not be utterly boxed in the head

Edited by toastyghost - 19 April 2017 at 6:07pm
Shortrope View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shortrope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2017 at 6:57pm
At the very least get everyone to play a handful of the same tracks.
My Tinnitus is coming along nicely!!
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2017 at 10:36pm
+100^^
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Racks&Stacks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2017 at 11:26pm
Originally posted by Shortrope Shortrope wrote:

At the very least get everyone to play a handful of the same tracks.

you want 2 different competing sound engineers to agree on something? LOL
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2017 at 12:34am
This has nothing to do with sound engineers. It should be the show rule.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Racks&Stacks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2017 at 1:14am
I agree that equal volume and equal program content would be the best to compare with, but who decides on the music?
Darkstar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darkstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2017 at 2:23am
Originally posted by MarjanM MarjanM wrote:

This has nothing to do with sound engineers. It should be the show rule.

+200

Originally posted by Racks&Stacks Racks&Stacks wrote:

I agree that equal volume and equal program content would be the best to compare with, but who decides on the music?

Demo spots are asked for at least one year before the fair happens, Marjan even said he was told there is no space in a 3 year time span. It's 2017, they already know which companies are going to showcase their system and we have f***ing internet with which you could sort the tracks out with a mailing list.
I believe the problem is some companies have a "bigger ego" than others and would not set for anything else than their chosen playlist.

However I definitely don't get how RCF and DB technologies got away just fine with their +20dB level, and as I already mentioned they were further away from the measurement mic, for the whole 4 days of PL+S.

Edited by Darkstar - 20 April 2017 at 2:25am
Bass =/= Enough
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>