Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Problem is with distance and wall sockets

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatfreddiescat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2018 at 3:32pm
Originally posted by Jack_The_Ripper Jack_The_Ripper wrote:

The male Ceeform plugs want to be on the ends of the cables directed towards the wall socket and not the other way around.
Yes male pins at the 13amp wall socket end.
It's  a good thing you are asking these questions, you would not be the first to make a cable that falls into the 'widow maker' category, please make sure you get an electrician or someone suitably qualified to check your cables over before you use them.
Simple rule here is you should not be able to touch a live contact on your mains cable.

For a 25M run I would go with 6mm2 of HO7RN-F cable with 32 amp connectors and tails as described by 4D also using 1.5mm HO7RN-F cable.
Using 2.5mm cable on a long run may put you on the edge of what is an acceptable earth loop impedance.
Jack_The_Ripper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack_The_Ripper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2018 at 3:32pm
Originally posted by mini-mad mini-mad wrote:

Just me... but I would keep those 500mm runs as short as humanly possible. If you can make a 6inch (150mm) lead, I would do that. The shorter the better. But yes you got it bang on the money!

And rather then a 4/6way socket thingie why not spend a penny or two more and build a small distro box? A cube with a double 13A on each side and maybe an RCD thrown in. Should be "cheap" enough. That's what I would do anyway

I've got 5 metres of actually good quality 1.5mm 3 core cable so yeah I could easily make a 6-12 inch cable with a 13A plug to plug into the wall with a 16A Ceeform on the other end and then near the 6 gang socket have a 6-12 inch 1.5mm cable connected to it as well. You mean make one out of wood and then attack two double 13A sockets to it?

Edited by Jack_The_Ripper - 18 December 2018 at 3:35pm
imageoven View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imageoven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2018 at 3:35pm

And rather then a 4/6way socket thingie why not spend a penny or two more and build a small distro box? A cube with a double 13A on 4 of the sides and maybe an RCD thrown in on the top with a small cheap volt/amp meter(?). Should be "cheap" enough. That's what I would do anyway

I think that might be a case of running before learning to walk.

What he's describing does the job. KISS and all that.
Keep pushing on, things are gonna get better.
APW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2018 at 3:45pm

If ever you intend doing any outside gigs then use Rubber H07 RNF 2.5mm cable as this is the correct cable for the job..... Do it now and you will only have to buy once!

There is a guy on eBay who is doing a good deal on ceeform H07 cables. He is selling 25mtr ceeform H07-RNF for about £40 inc. P&P.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/16A-H07-2-5mm2-Rubber-extension-power-cable-stage-event-catering-16-AMP-NEW/142934790605?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131017132637%26meid%3D258680003c6641b88a5e78be5e0bcece%26pid%3D100033%26rk%3D7%26rkt%3D8%26sd%3D153280070119%26itm%3D142934790605&_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042

I have no connection with this seller so cannot vouch for him/her but spotted the listing earlier today.

Edited by APW - 18 December 2018 at 3:46pm
RoadRunnersDust View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoadRunnersDust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2018 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by fatfreddiescat fatfreddiescat wrote:

For a 25M run I would go with 6mm2 of HO7RN-F cable with 32 amp connectors and tails as described by 4D also using 1.5mm HO7RN-F cable.
Using 2.5mm cable on a long run may put you on the edge of what is an acceptable earth loop impedance.

Are you tripping balls right now?! LOLLOLLOL
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2018 at 3:51pm
Originally posted by imageoven imageoven wrote:

And rather then a 4/6way socket thingie why not spend a penny or two more and build a small distro box? A cube with a double 13A on 4 of the sides and maybe an RCD thrown in on the top with a small cheap volt/amp meter(?). Should be "cheap" enough. That's what I would do anyway

I think that might be a case of running before learning to walk.

What he's describing does the job. KISS and all that.
You're right. 6way it is.

And most of my adaptor cables are super short runs and I haven't come across any problems yet... and some of them have a solid 10yrs on them
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2018 at 3:56pm

Just me... but I would keep those 500mm runs as short as humanly possible. If you can make a 6inch (150mm) lead, I would do that. The shorter the better. But yes you got it bang on the money!

And rather then a 4/6way socket thingie why not spend a penny or two more and build a small distro box? A cube with a double 13A on each side and maybe an RCD thrown in. Should be "cheap" enough. That's what I would do anyway

I've got 5 metres of actually good quality 1.5mm 3 core cable so yeah I could easily make a 6-12 inch cable with a 13A plug to plug into the wall with a 16A Ceeform on the other end and then near the 6 gang socket have a 6-12 inch 1.5mm cable connected to it as well. You mean make one out of wood and then attack two double 13A sockets to it?

Yes. But as I said, that's what I would do.

The ONLY reason I suggested a little distro cube was to stop the cluttering of plugs and Wall-wart adapters from getting clustered and not quite being able to use all sockets as some big ads power supply lead is leaning over another socket making it impossible to use. Just to space out the sockets really... no real technical reason.
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2018 at 4:41pm

All that will be connected to it is my two turntables, dj mixer, laptop running DVS software and another laptop running software that controls my dbx Driverack.

Reality check. For the 1 or 2 amp draw this will be you could use just about any electrical cord that is long enough.
fatfreddiescat View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatfreddiescat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2018 at 4:42pm
Originally posted by RoadRunnersDust RoadRunnersDust wrote:

Originally posted by fatfreddiescat fatfreddiescat wrote:

Are you tripping balls right now?! LOLLOLLOL

Nope,
If your going to bother making up a main feed cable you may as well make one that will have negligible voltage drop for the gear your intending to use it with, minimise voltage drop and earth loop impedance, using a thick gauge cable will ensure that your not tipping the loop impedance over the edge so that your earth actually works as intended. HO7rn-f is a requirement for temporary outdoor and larger indoor installations.
A 13amp plug will allow approx 26 amps through it long term over 3 times that short term, it would nice to be able to take advantage of some that when your amp psu wants to recharge after a large transient signal.

fatfreddiescat View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatfreddiescat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2018 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by Conanski Conanski wrote:

All that will be connected to it is my two turntables, dj mixer, laptop running DVS software and another laptop running software that controls my dbx Driverack.

Reality check. For the 1 or 2 amp draw this will be you could use just about any electrical cord that is long enough.

In that case just don't bother with the long cable and take a split off the feed to the smallest amplifier, really no need to use the other sockets at all.
norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2018 at 5:01pm
I agree with above, that if you're going to make up these cables, make them up for all situations, not just this particular case.

So use appropriate sized conductors for the length of cable at the load it 'could' carry

In that regard, he should also make sure the 6 gang plug board is fused if it's going to be fed by a 16A plug rather than a 13A fused plug top.
This way if he ever uses the long 16A cable plugged directly into a 16A outlet, the plug board has protection (which in his use case will be provided by the fused 13A plug into the wall)

WallSocket:13A Plug<-1.5mm->16A Socket:16A Plug<---2.5mm--->16A Socket:16A Plug<-1.5mm->6 gang fused plug board

Or

WallSocket:13A Plug<-1.5mm->16A Socket:16A Plug<---2.5mm--->16A Socket:16A Plug<-1.5mm->1 gang 13A socket:13A fused plug<-1.5mm->6 gang unfused plug board

Edited by norty303 - 18 December 2018 at 5:10pm
My laser stuff: Frikkin Lasers
Jack_The_Ripper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack_The_Ripper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2018 at 5:30pm
Originally posted by norty303 norty303 wrote:

WallSocket:13A Plug<-1.5mm->16A Socket:16A Plug<---2.5mm--->16A Socket:16A Plug<-1.5mm->6 gang fused plug board

That's easy to understand thanks I really apreciate all the help from you guys.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>