Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Problem is with distance and wall sockets

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoadRunnersDust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2018 at 5:53pm
Originally posted by norty303 norty303 wrote:

In that regard, he should also make sure the 6 gang plug board is fused if it's going to be fed by a 16A plug rather than a 13A fused plug top.
This way if he ever uses the long 16A cable plugged directly into a 16A outlet, the plug board has protection

That shouldn't be necessary, 16A for a 6-gang will be fine when you consider that a 16A MCB/RCBO/Etc. will bang out FAR quicker than any 13A Fuse would on a normal extension cable
James Tengo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Tengo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2018 at 6:02pm
Originally posted by RoadRunnersDust RoadRunnersDust wrote:

Originally posted by fatfreddiescat fatfreddiescat wrote:

For a 25M run I would go with 6mm2 of HO7RN-F cable with 32 amp connectors and tails as described by 4D also using 1.5mm HO7RN-F cable.
Using 2.5mm cable on a long run may put you on the edge of what is an acceptable earth loop impedance.

Are you tripping balls right now?! LOLLOLLOL

25m is not a long run. Given a full 16a load using 2.5mm you’d only see a 1.2% volt drop over that distance. If the load was 5a you’d only see a volt drop of 0.3%. If the load was 1a you’d see a volt drop of 0.07%. Better go up to 120mm powerlock and back down... LOL
Jack_The_Ripper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack_The_Ripper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2018 at 6:11pm
I've found the bits now on Amazon, i'll connect this to the wal socket :

Then connect this cable to it :

Then connect that cable to this : 

Then i'll use this socket base : 
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Invero��-Switched-Extension-Indicator-Approved-White/dp/B06XJ8C22Y/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1545156585&sr=8-3&keywords=fused+6+gang

And i'll take the standard cable off it and put on a short 10cm 1.5mm 3 core cable.  

Edited by Jack_The_Ripper - 18 December 2018 at 6:19pm
fatfreddiescat View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatfreddiescat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2018 at 6:58pm
Originally posted by James Tengo James Tengo wrote:

For a 25M run I would go with 6mm2 of HO7RN-F cable with 32 amp connectors and tails as described by 4D also using 1.5mm HO7RN-F cable.
Using 2.5mm cable on a long run may put you on the edge of what is an acceptable earth loop impedance.

25m is not a long run. Given a full 16a load using 2.5mm you’d only see a 1.2% volt drop over that distance. If the load was 5a you’d only see a volt drop of 0.3%. If the load was 1a you’d see a volt drop of 0.07%. Better go up to 120mm powerlock and back down... LOL
Calculated with what load may I ask?

Just re read that, if he was only drawind 16 amps then ok, he is inteneding to draw less so not a problem, probs better off ditching the extension lead altogether, but if he intends to run the full rig then the bigger cable would be worthwhile.
The main issue with long runs is not voltage drop but complying with safety standards re earth loop impedance.

Edited by fatfreddiescat - 18 December 2018 at 7:02pm
APW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2018 at 7:04pm

Beware; you should not use arctic blue cable outside for 'entertainment events' as it doesn’t comply with the regs (BS7909).  H07RN-F is rubber (not PVC), tougher, it has thicker insulation and stands up better to abuse. Also rubber cable is nicer to coil than PVC, especially when the cable is cold.

https://midas-uk.co.uk/do-you-prefer-rubber-or-plastic/

I know it’s common to see Artic blue but it isn’t the correct stuff.

For the same price as the artic blue in your link you can get the HO7 cable in my last post.

Jack_The_Ripper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack_The_Ripper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2018 at 7:43pm
Originally posted by APW APW wrote:

Beware; you should not use arctic blue cable outside for 'entertainment events' as it doesn’t comply with the regs (BS7909).  H07RN-F is rubber (not PVC), tougher, it has thicker insulation and stands up better to abuse. Also rubber cable is nicer to coil than PVC, especially when the cable is cold.

https://midas-uk.co.uk/do-you-prefer-rubber-or-plastic/

I know it’s common to see Artic blue but it isn’t the correct stuff.

For the same price as the artic blue in your link you can get the HO7 cable in my last post.

It'll never be used outside. 
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Tengo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2018 at 8:01pm

Originally posted by James Tengo James Tengo wrote:

Calculated with what load may I ask?

Just re read that, if he was only drawind 16 amps then ok, he is inteneding to draw less so not a problem, probs better off ditching the extension lead altogether, but if he intends to run the full rig then the bigger cable would be worthwhile.
The main issue with long runs is not voltage drop but complying with safety standards re earth loop impedance.

Voltage drop directly affects earth loop impedance though, the resistance of copper is changed by temperature, the volts are lost as cable heating. It’s all interconnected.
RoadRunnersDust View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoadRunnersDust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2018 at 8:42pm
Also, if you think there’s going to be Earth Loop concerns on a 25m run of 2.5mm^2 for a 16A circuit then you need to get back under the rock you’ve poked your head out from
fatfreddiescat View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatfreddiescat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2018 at 11:30pm

Also, if you think there’s going to be Earth Loop concerns on a 25m run of 2.5mm^2 for a 16A circuit then you need to get back under the rock you’ve poked your head out from

Pretty much industry standard to use 32amp for a 25m run and 6mm2 for a 32amp cable, I wonder why?
Possibly I am over cautious these day's, my mates daughter was electrocuted at a festival last summer when walking barefoot on metal roadway that had been laid over a ceeform connector, she was hospitalized and is lucky to still be with us.
RoadRunnersDust View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoadRunnersDust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2018 at 11:49pm

Pretty much industry standard to use 32amp for a 25m run and 6mm2 for a 32amp cable, I wonder why?
Possibly I am over cautious these day's, my mates daughter was electrocuted at a festival last summer when walking barefoot on metal roadway that had been laid over a ceeform connector, she was hospitalized and is lucky to still be with us.

I’ve never heard such a crock of shite in my whole life LOL

Gross negligence and cut conductors has nothing to do with what we’re talking about either. Although the notion that a large lump of metal that is literally laid on the ground would come into contact with a live conductor and that someone’s foot would be the first viable path to ground presented to it is dubious at best. Given the fact she’s not dead would also point towards there being an RCD in the mix and even a 300mA device would bang out if it was trying to energise a load of trackway that was laid across the ground.

Given that and the absolute poo you’ve already come out with, I’m calling bullshit
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Tengo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2018 at 2:04am
What industry is that then? Certainly not lighting, with power consumption dropping like a stone with the advent of led technology and more energy efficiencent light sources. The mega pointe at 440w is brighter than the bmfl at 1700w, not to mention about 20kg lighter. Bung 6 on a truss 30m from your racks and you can quite happily power them off a 1.5mm soca.
BS7909 isn’t just about inspection and testing, its about planning and designing too. Blanket statements are not what it’s about.
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2018 at 6:30am
i quite agree, no one is using 6mm for 25M 16A circuits under normal conditions. Blanket statements and blanket policies are more likely to cause accidents and incidents as you stop looking at the actual risks present which is far more dangerous than planning and designing a system correctly.

“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>