Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Problem with T.amp ta2400

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pasteman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Problem with T.amp ta2400
    Posted: 07 March 2010 at 10:17pm
Got given this second hand and not working, amp turns on, fans move, fault light comes on then disapears on both channels after 2 secs as supposed to, clip lights on constantly till speakons are connected then just the active lights remain. when a clean and tested signal is played through the amp it appears distorted and crackly through the speakers it happens on both channels, all modes, binding posts and speakons has anyone had this fault? can it be fixed or diagnosed in anyway? anyone know of a good amp repair man leeds way?

Thanks for you time and patience.
service dept Steve View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote service dept Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2010 at 10:26am
I'm not anywhere near Leeds but you can post it to me in Shepperton studios if you like.
Just check it isn't a pair of dirty pots, anyone local can do those for you.
Steve

We are not "They", We are "The others"http://www.servicedept.co.uk -
Pasteman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pasteman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2010 at 8:41pm
thanks for your reply

kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2010 at 8:02pm
This sounds like the amp has lost its bias, these are the symptoms they give. The amp oscillates about the crossover point with no load, causing the bottom VU meter leds to come on, sometimes they flicker. Putting it on load with no signal sometimes helps it to settle down. If you scope the output you get a small square wave or random 'morse code' effect.

It's not unusual for both channels to suffer the same thing, i guess it depends how heavy handed the operative was who originally set it up.

If it is worse when the amp is very cold, but its better on a warm day, this clinches it.

Just a thought, you might of course have a weird one.

Edited by kedwardsleisure - 22 March 2010 at 8:03pm
Kevin

North Staffordshire

Pasteman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pasteman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2010 at 1:17am
problem solved replaced 2 faulty bridge rectifiers, serviced, and working as should
Alex_C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex_C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2010 at 7:15pm
just seen this thread and i'm glad to hear you got it sorted... who did it in the end?

For future referance Jas at Astral is good, the company i work for has been using him for a couple of years and have always been very happy with the results.

http://www.astralsonictech.co.uk/index.html
kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2010 at 7:57pm
Quote problem solved replaced 2 faulty bridge rectifiers

let me guess the pins had fractured internally
Kevin

North Staffordshire

smithlanger1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smithlanger1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2010 at 5:48am
sounds good to me
Pasteman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pasteman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2010 at 9:44am
yep fractured pins, just found replacement parts and resoldered in place, still working fine
2 people use this account but they say 2 brains are better than one...
service dept Steve View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote service dept Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2010 at 9:57am
Probably had left handed ones fitted in the first place. 
We are not "They", We are "The others"http://www.servicedept.co.uk -
chriscov4u View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chriscov4u Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2011 at 5:05pm
I know this is an old string but I have a AH2400 with what looks like an identical fault, any chance of a detailed explanation of the cure??? (component locations and numbers etc for testing, anything really!!)
Cry
Tonskulus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonskulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2017 at 5:26pm
I have one too, Tamp TA-1400.  Ch2 clip light on, speaker output reads 8.4volts DC. 
Resoldered and checked all bridge rectifiers, they seem to be ok. 

edit: I had to change one rectifier (high rail), now it's working :)

Edited by Tonskulus - 23 October 2017 at 3:15pm
 Post Reply Post Reply