Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Projected finished , 18 inch J reflex

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2020 at 6:32am
That looks like a really good effort for your first build, and a good effort with the jigsaw on the driver cutout, ive seen much worse!

Not wishing to be negative but I hope that you did not pay too much for your plywood, that aint birch ply, 18mm birch ply would typically have around 13 laminates and if BB grade, as typically used, would have had it’s knots patched to give a smooth void free surface. 
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
APW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2020 at 9:56am
Originally posted by csg csg wrote:

That looks like a really good effort for your first build, and a good effort with the jigsaw on the driver cutout, ive seen much worse!

Not wishing to be negative but I hope that you did not pay too much for your plywood, that aint birch ply, 18mm birch ply would typically have around 13 laminates and if BB grade, as typically used, would have had it’s knots patched to give a smooth void free surface. 

^ this 100%, also birch tends to be very light in colour and has a fine close grain. That looks like softwood shuttering ply.

TBH, I have in the past built speakers out of cheap ply and they have lasted for years and sounded absolutely fine, would I do it now… No! What you save in the cost of the ply is normally spent in filler and time trying to make them look half decent… Quality 13 laminate ply is a joy to work with; cheap ply can be a nightmare.

Edited by APW - 27 July 2020 at 10:08am
jordanclarkdj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jordanclarkdj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2020 at 10:26am
Hi guys, thanks

I ordered 3 sheets of Birch ply and thats what i got delivered, I didn't pay much as I get discount from a friends account who is a builder and gets around 30% discount on all there products anyway and vat free

I paid around £17 a sheet If i remember correctly , Im assuming it would have been around £35-45 a sheet at full price 
njw View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2020 at 10:42am
  £17 a sheet sounds about right for shuttering ply, they do look good though, tidy job. Thumbs Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jordanclarkdj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2020 at 10:44am
Originally posted by njw njw wrote:

£17 a sheet sounds about right for shuttering ply, they do look good though, tidy job. Thumbs Up

No,  I paid £17 after my friends discount of 30% then he is vat registered so i didn't pay the extra 20% vat either

If I never got it through his account id have paid £35-45 a sheet 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jordanclarkdj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2020 at 10:50am
You guys are right, I just checked the delivery line and it says on it ' Pine Ply '  

Is this still any good? it felt like a reasonable quality, I am mostly going to be using these outdoors will it be ok ? 

Im looking into getting covers made to protect against the rain
APW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2020 at 11:03am

If they are for casual use (“weekend warrior” type stuff) I'd put money on they’ll last you for years and I doubt you will notice much difference in the sound.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jordanclarkdj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2020 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by APW APW wrote:

If they are for casual use (“weekend warrior” type stuff) I'd put money on they’ll last you for years and I doubt you will notice much difference in the sound.

Yeah they won't be used every weekend , probably 10-15 times a year at max
djeddie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djeddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2020 at 1:39pm
Should be fine in that case. Well done on the build... and putting up pics of someone making sawdust!!!
Chas n Dave : it's like Drum and Bass but with beards.             E=mc² ±3dB
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2020 at 2:31pm
I would not worry, at £17 a sheet you won’t do much better. Might do to check if it is “WBP” plywood, if it is not and is sitting in water etc it might de-laminate..but lots of expensive boxes from bog names are made from similar ply.
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jordanclarkdj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2020 at 3:10pm
Originally posted by csg csg wrote:

I would not worry, at £17 a sheet you won’t do much better. Might do to check if it is “WBP” plywood, if it is not and is sitting in water etc it might de-laminate..but lots of expensive boxes from bog names are made from similar ply.

These will be kept in dry storage when not in use and if outdoors and rain comes on I will have covers made for them eventually 
Digbethdave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Digbethdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2020 at 7:18pm
Shouldn't worry about the ply too much.
Id probably revisit the speakons though. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>