Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Punisher and X-tro
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Punisher Heat Disapation Idea

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teknojay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Punisher Heat Disapation Idea
    Posted: 10 November 2013 at 10:24pm
Just an idea but if i was to get an aluminium tube the same size as the vent hole of the ciare 12sw and welded it to a plate of aluminium with a hole in it the same size of the tube then cut a whole in the panel directly underneath the driver for the pole to pass through into the vent hole then recessed and screwed the plate with tube in place for easy removal if ever needed to change driver 

Would this aid in cooling as the heat around the voicecoil will vent straight to the outside world instead of the chamber it would also suck cold air in.

Would this affect performance or sound of the cabinet as the chamber in theory will still be sealed?    

Edited by teknojay - 10 November 2013 at 10:29pm
Meat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2013 at 4:01pm
IMO the best upgrade to cooling would be redesigning the throat to allow inverted mounting without changing any other parameters.
Don't test the champignon sound
teknojay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teknojay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2013 at 8:29pm
Yeah know what ya mean BUT would my idea work or would it affect performance?
b grade View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b grade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2013 at 9:13pm
I think the difficult part would be getting a sturdy air tight seal between the vent pipe and the magnet vent. You would not want to glue it and gasket tape would need to be tightly mashed into the magnet and perfectly aligned or it would be a leak in the chamber. Not sure what if anything it would do to the sound. I have wondered about trying something like that too, but the drivers I use in my do not vent in that manner and it would not work with the driver alignment in my 1850s anyhow.
Mircea Bartic View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mircea Bartic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2013 at 9:25pm
the dustcap will probably blow if you do that
general manager & head designer at nexus-acoustics research
http://www.facebook.com/nexus.acoustics.research

Ex Nexus_3
teknojay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teknojay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2013 at 5:06pm
Anybody else have any thoughts as to whether it would work or not?
Meat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2013 at 5:44pm
Mircea is probably right. The pressure is going to be very high on that cap.
Don't test the champignon sound
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2013 at 5:55pm
google wayne parnham. he did this on a speaker called the lambda horn (?). basically a version of the LAB sub
bitSmasher View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bitSmasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2013 at 9:27pm
Yep, doesn't Wayne's Pi sub have the same heatsink/vent? He published numbers showing how much power the modded LAB12 driver can take before power compression, compared to the stock driver

To get good heat transfer you'd want to ream the vent and have an interference (press) fit with the aluminium tube, some thermal paste could help too

Clever idea, but it really is the pointy end of performance - a lot of effort required and you probably have other issues that can be addressed first
teknojay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teknojay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2013 at 9:17pm
i think i'm gonna get hold of a cheapo used bin n do some experiments over the winter n see what happens will keep you all posted ;)
KidCreole View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KidCreole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2013 at 11:04pm
I started a thread here. Works very well in my K1's
http://forum.speakerplans.com/heat-transfer_topic56417_page3.html

tv00 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2013 at 12:17am
Is this driver not vented from the side too like most drivers?
In this case I think the air would travel from the rear chamber around though the vent space between the magnet and the basket just under the spider, then around the sides of the voicecoil and in / out.

This would affect compression, the chamber would not be airtight
The fast moving air around the voicecoil might even create distortion
 Post Reply Post Reply