Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Punisher and X-tro
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Punisher Horn Question.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billkeown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Punisher Horn Question.
    Posted: 30 July 2005 at 2:52pm
I have spent today making templates for my upcoming four punisher horns. i have a building question.

Looking at the plans, the two braces in the back set at 45 degrees to the back one brace measurement is made from the inside of the cabinet the other is taken from the outer edge. Is this correct?

Also walt, what would you suggest for handles i have been thinking about putting some cutout handles in the rear of the cabinet similar to the turbosound handle. this could fit inside the 45 degree back brace. What do you think? Also if you have any other suggestions i would love to hear them.

To 'efreak' If you're still lurking on here how are your punishers running off EP2500? i have the budget to go for something better, Void infinite8, S/H QSC, Crest etc.what other suggestions do you have for amps? I will have four punishers 8ohm. I'm willing to go with two smaller amps bridged or one big amp.

Thanks in advance.

Bill Keown

Tom Umney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Umney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2005 at 8:49pm

Whats your maximum budget then.

2x QSC RMX1850HD would be your best bet, and cost around £450 each. So use 2 punishers in bridge on each amp.

They give 1800w rms into 4 ohm bridge, so thats 900w rms into each driver.

And as they are the Heavy Duty version represented by the HD, they can be pushed hard into 4 ohm bridge and 2 ohm loads.

Contour View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Contour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2005 at 3:55am

Hello,

For the handles I would say that you do it the way you like. Try to keep them out of the first part of the horn. The crosssection of the horn is small so try not to disturb the horn in that region.

For amps, the Punishers like lots of power. 1500W in each Punisher is no problem at all. I have heard Infinite 8 I think for the money it is a very good amp, but a QSC PL6.0 will outperform it.

Best regards,

Walt

Contour View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Contour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2005 at 3:57am

'Looking at the plans, the two braces in the back set at 45 degrees to the back one brace measurement is made from the inside of the cabinet the other is taken from the outer edge. Is this correct?'

Yes this is correct!

Best regards,

Walt

efreak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote efreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2005 at 8:25pm

I also use the 8ohm Ciare 12.00sw

I am still here. I am no longer using the the ep2500 amps. There are nice for the price but just dont stretch the legs on the punisher horns. I am now using a Crown I-Tech8000 which provides 4000watts @ 4ohm load per side on 2 punishers :) There is a big difference in sound going from 1200watts per punisher to 2000watts per punisher.

Next i will try 3 punishers per side on my I-T8000 which will provide 3500watts @ 2ohm load to compare.

Something i noticed about the punishers while monitering my amp load on the I-T8000 connected via a laptop, is that the punisher cab auctally only draws a 10ohm load. I belive this is why the punisher likes 1500watts per cab or more.

The punishers will sound good with only 1200watts but really start to output extreme sound levels with 1500watts or more!!!

A.j

james folkes View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote james folkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2005 at 11:12am
Originally posted by efreak efreak wrote:

Something i noticed about the punishers while monitering
my amp load on the I-T8000 connected via a laptop, is that the punisher cab
auctally only draws a 10ohm load. I belive this is why the punisher likes
1500watts per cab or more.

this is why i crave 'intelligent' amplifiers with feedback systems. walt, don't
you use the new rams? they have all that jazz don't they? anyway this really
does show that the stiff loading of the driver holds off the impedance drop,
usefull information. i'd add that the 4 ohm ciare is a realistic proposition
then as a pair is unlikely to ever drop below 2 ohms. all good stuff.

james.
norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2005 at 12:19pm
Might that also make the LAb driver a realistic proposition without needing exotic amps, e.g. 2 in parallel off a bridged amp at ~4R.  Suppose that would need testing
My laser stuff: Frikkin Lasers
Tom Umney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Umney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2005 at 11:44pm

Depends how much you got to spend.

I bet with Lab Gruppen FP2400Q four channel amp or Crown MA5000VZ or Crest CA18 you can make one hell of a earthshudder using the punishers!!!!

Or even Crest Pro 10001 2 ohm bridged 15000w rms.

Edited by ToXiC
billkeown View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billkeown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2005 at 5:24pm
1001 would be taking the piss a bit!!  Use 8001 All the time, its a great  amp and just works forever. But  just the weight of the 10001!! noooooooo!! 

Punisher build is well underway, but we've run out of wood!!  I'm taking some photos and may put the up here soon.  A S/H Macrotech 5000VZ in within the budget, but i'm wondering about 2 x RMX2450's bridged. to give 1500W in a 1 sub/side setup and 1200W/Side in a 2 sub/side setup.

That just gives me a bit more flexibilty later. i.e. stick a bigger single amp onto the subs and move the RMX's onto wedges.

Also,  i'm taking a gamble on Bill F's DR300 cabinets, for fun its more of a hobby project that one but if they work as well as suggested they'll prolly go with the punishers to make a pukka PA.

Timber_MG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timber_MG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2005 at 7:07pm
They'll be loud for one and allow you to cross low enough for the Punisher, an important considderation for that sub. They're the first cab of his that I have had a slighltly closer look at, though I don't know how they sound or measure in the time domain, especially higher up (i.e. above 400Hzish due to the bend, a flat FR curve is the secondary considderation here really).
DSTAR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSTAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2005 at 8:18am

Where did you obtain your 15mm Birch Ply.

billkeown View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billkeown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2005 at 3:51pm
I build PA  speakers and flightcases  for a day job, so am building at work. And using their  supplies, paying for them of  course!

But we buy our timber bulk from 'james latham's. A local woodyard will have some though, just get in the yellow pages.

BTW got a ciare 12.00SW today. Oh my gosh, built like a tank, the paper of the cone itself must be 2.5mm thick!! Looks like the punisher with this driver will be more of a WMD than a loudspeaker!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>