Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Punisher and X-tro
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Punisher Horn Question.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Contour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2005 at 4:00pm

Hello,

Yes the Caire 12.00SW is a very impressive driver. I remember recieving the first one by mail. I had never seen such a heavey 12" driver before. It is simply the magnet of a big 18" driver which is put on a 12" cone/chassis.

The cone is indeed very thick en strong. This is needed to withstand the high pressures generated in front of the cone when driven with 1500W or more. This way the cone keeps behaving as a rigid piston and moves the most air.

One advice: make sure you don't get any airleaks in the cabinets. Since these are horns they depend very heavey on a proper construction. Air leaks will lead to unwanted noises.

Best regards,

Walt

billkeown View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billkeown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2005 at 5:14pm
Airleaks  shouldn't be a problem,  the cab is built with 5mm rebates on all the joints, except for the bracing, which will be just glued and screwed. i'll probably use  car body filler or mastic to seal the driver chamber, i am aware however that using silicone in a sealed chamber is a bad idea. thanks for the free design walt i look forward to getting them finished and fired up.

I'll keep you posted.
james folkes View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote james folkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2005 at 11:19am
Originally posted by billkeown i am aware however that using silicone in a
<br />sealed chamber is a bad idea.[/QUOTE billkeown i am aware however that using silicone in a
sealed chamber is a bad idea.[/QUOTE wrote:

sorry, why is that exactly? are we talking something to do with nasty vapours
whe

sorry, why is that exactly? are we talking something to do with nasty vapours
when it is curing? i only ask because i have done exactly that and was going
to continue so doing. actually i do have some non-setting caravan mastik
which might be the better bet...

james.
Timber_MG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timber_MG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2005 at 11:27am
Silicon caulking is bad for foam surrounds and might be less than optimal for some soft components, but I am not sure exactly. Best let it cure first and then put in the drivers. A properly built box won't really need the caulking. I don't know about body filler, my dad smells the stuff from a mile away three days afterwards but I cannot really detect it anymore.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote james folkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2005 at 1:47pm
this is just for sealing the access door so the driver has to be exposed to
some of the fumes. options include leaving the door mounted terminal dish
off until the sealant has gone off. these drivers are cambric edge incidentaly,
but my 15s are foam, duly noted.

james.
billkeown View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billkeown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2005 at 4:44pm

On a side note regarding the punisher, building has stalled, i am embarking on a 2 month tour with not a lot of time off.

however there's only a couple of days labour left in the 4 cabinets.
I am also building Bill Fitz's DR300 bout 2 days labour until i have 2 workable prototypes. I am a bit concerned about the HF that i have chosen (eminence psd2002) but time (and a bit of eq in the LMS) will tell i guess!

Now earlier today at PLASA i bumped into rog moogle and we had a really breif chat about stuff (he looked a bit busy!). He suggested that 1500W was a bit of a wacky figure for the Ciare's 4" VC. suggested maybe 1200W would be more reasonable.

I dont want to destroy drivers so what would anyone else say?

BTW who has best price on void infinite8? looks like komotion, unless anyone knows better. PM me

Cheers for listening, you've been a wonderful audience

loophole View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loophole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2005 at 8:38pm
Originally posted by billkeown billkeown wrote:

But we buy our timber bulk from 'james latham's. A local woodyard will have some though, just get in the yellow pages.

is lathams still running? thought they had closed up with all the woodyards down the river lea. where are they based now? the old premises in clapton's definitely been demolished... think there was a squat party there a couple of years back incidentally 8)
_djk_ View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2005 at 6:59am
If the silicone seal smells like vinegar it can disolve (while curing) many of the the adhesives used for holding the spider and the cone edge to the frame. Wait several days for it to cure before mounting the drivers. Or use a latex based caulk.
djk
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote james folkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2005 at 8:00am
oh dear. right, well i'll know not to use that next time, i hope the mid cabs
don't suffer from having the access panel sealed in this way. i'll try and find
a better product.

james.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12