Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Punisher and X-tro
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Punishers and then Xtros Cost? Quality?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tarkovsky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Punishers and then Xtros Cost? Quality?
    Posted: 01 July 2011 at 1:05pm
Thinking about making some of these. Do they punch? I like punchy techno... I don't want one note bass, however loud that is! 
I know 12 inch cones are preferred for their quicker response... but is that still true with that massive hooooooorn?

I'm thinking 2 of these and a couple of xtros... to star with.

Ultimately what I'm after is a small but powerful system, that sounds pretty good. Initially I want to favour sq over db. I'm a fan of funktion one's abiltity to reproduce transients. But it's so harsh sounding. I'm guessing like the ns10s in the monitor world, that's a product of a low group delay. And that's what EQ is for...

At work I use D n B audioteknik which is the dream. However it's several leagues about what we can really afford.

We have some nice wood... some pine wood I think from an old desk building project. Would that wood be suitable, if our wood-chuck could chuck the wood? Wink

Sorry that I don't have a clue here. I really know nothing about speaker cabinet acoustics or amps or anything or even what an nl4 is (OK I'm joking now :D)... that's what happens if you work with D n B gear.

We've got a tiny little budget but lots of man hours. I'm not the carpenter, but we have someone who is reasonably proficient, how difficult is this build? I've seen kids on youtube build this stuff so I'm assuming it's not too hard. Though as far as I'm concerned I'm much happier with ammeter than jigsaw!

Cheers everyone.

PS

Looking to buy some stuff (like amps and maybe mid/tops). However I can't post in the for sale forum yet because I'm under 10 posts. 

Edited by Tarkovsky - 01 July 2011 at 1:05pm
JDCutta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JDCutta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2011 at 2:39pm
As far as 12" drivers are concerned, you can only load the punisher with a 12" (ciare 12sw) so not much debate about that where this design is concerned. So far I've read good thing about the punisher cabs for there size.

Xtros are a very difficult built from what I've read, and pretty expensive to load with the proper drivers aswel! so not exactly a budget cab lol

Pine wood from an old desk? Maybe for a test build/scrap.

Ideally you want to use BB Baltic Birch 13lam plywood (the good stuff) but expensive at around £40-60 a sheet depending on where you are. You could possibly used MDF but if you plan on moving it around alot, I'd spend the extra dollar and get ply. 
Tarkovsky View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tarkovsky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2011 at 4:07pm
So is there a more economical mid/top you might recommend. SPL isn't so important to me...
JDCutta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JDCutta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2011 at 7:00pm
Have a look on these mate:

Where abouts are you based? And whats your budget? What size events are you wanting to cater for? What music are you specifically looking at using these for?

Cheapest way to gets some cabs is probably to look out for some good 2nd hand ones on the forum/ebay or have a look for a good deal on drivers to load a design you favour..

Read pretty good stuff on http://www.freespeakerplans.com/simple-mid-top-smt212.html which looks to be an easier build.

Tarkovsky View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tarkovsky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2011 at 9:22pm
Hackney wick. Dubstep, house and techno. Not looking to spend more than £800 or maximum a grand. Just being able to play up to about 200 people would be ideal for us atm. We've got crap bass cabs with no inbuilt crossover and nops or amps atm. Obviously trying to build a system on such a tight budget isn't the best thing... but we'd like to build it up slowly.

BTW 2 of the links are dead, could you repost them?
JDCutta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JDCutta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2011 at 8:51am
Is that £800-£1000 for everything? including amps/crossover etc or just the bass/top cabs?
Tarkovsky View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tarkovsky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2011 at 1:20pm
LOL... EVERYTHING. But checking about, we have some decent plywood (I think it's birch), 18ml thick. Two large sheets. Probably enough for a single build.

How cheap are the MT121s? To build. Can you recommend some cheap tops?

I know it's not very much, but we should be able to slowly inject more cash. This is why I'm thinking about just building a single punisher for our rig, though I know dispersion would be a problem. We're looking at amps with inbuilt crossovers, and at first I'll set the rig up to account for propagation delay... and eventually ill get a berry x over with delay in it.

Is this all totally unrealistic?

We've already got racks and casters sorted. We have a lot of odds and ends lieing about.

The irony is I'm used to working with high end gear... I've no idea which low end stuff to go with, and what will allow us most expandibility and bang for buck.
smithers View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smithers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2011 at 5:59pm
sadly, its looking pretty unreallistic to me

a pair of Xtro's is gonna set you back about a grand on their own!
and you'll need more than 2 sheets of plywood.

why dont you go for something more simple / cheaper?

if your not concerned about massive spl and want decent sound quality why not build a nice simple reflex rig?
a pair of 18" reflex subs and a pair of 12/1" mid tops would be ideal, and more in your price range.

Hope this helps!
kevinmcdonough View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinmcdonough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2011 at 6:52pm
hey

yeah would have to second that. 

For the subs, if your playing dubstep and want good sound quality you need to get down deep, towards 30Hz.  Hornloaded will need to be BIG to do this and used in multiples so is out, which really leaves you with bandpass or reflex. One or two 18" reflex speakers a side with half decent drivers would work and would be easy to expand in the future. Some 12" + 1" tops with some half decent drivers would finish it off and it'd all be a fairly simple build.  

Ideally. if you could scrape a few extra £ together you should aim for a stack each side with two 18" reflex subs and one top with two 12" drivers and a good comp such as a BMS. Should stack to a nice height, would sound nice and balanced and high quality if you are able to spend a little on decent drivers, and would be great for about 200 people  

k
The Builder View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Builder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2011 at 11:01pm
+1.

4 x Fane Subs, 2 x 12 + 1"

800 quid aint gonna cut it all though. Maybe double.

It just is.
JDCutta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JDCutta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2011 at 10:23am
Best thing is too have a look out for some bargains on here and ebay ;) 

Another thing you may want to consider is transportation, have you guys got a big/small van you can use to move gear about, gonna be another deciding factor for what size cabs you can go for.

Good second hand brands you wanna look out for: 

PD, Eminence*, Fane*, P Audio, B&C, Celestion... Drivers     *most likely to pick up cheapish.

For amplifiers look out for matrix, behringer, Thomann T Amps

For processing look out for DCX2496 - Normally go for around £160 2nd hand or cheaper route would be to look for a behringer crossover, not sure how good these are though.

godge View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote godge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2011 at 9:46am
Originally posted by smithers smithers wrote:

sadly, its looking pretty unreallistic to me

a pair of Xtro's is gonna set you back about a grand on their own!

Christ where did you get a pair of x-tro's for a grand. To build and fully load with the right drivers, castors, phase plug horn etc your looking at 2k
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>