Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Purchasing Advise - QSC PL6.0

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Purchasing Advise - QSC PL6.0
    Posted: 04 April 2019 at 6:57pm
My friend has a QSC PL6.0 that I'm interested in buying off him.

Neither of us know the going rate is for this, I would normally do average past sale prices on ebay -10% fee's for a private sale but there are none recently sold to get an idea from that.

What is a fair price? It is flight cased so I think we can assume condition is fair not yet checked.
boots-hifi View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boots-hifi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2019 at 9:50pm
Hi Matt. I also have a PL 6.0 which I payed around the £750 Mark for. As ive been unable to find more id be interested in selling it..Pm me if youre interested. 

mattd View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2019 at 9:58pm
Hi Ben. 

Is that what you think they are worth second hand? In my head I thought they might he slightly less by now but I don't know why.

If I buy this one and like it maybe looking for one more too. Still pondering it at the moment.

I'm sure Lev will have a comment as to values (hopefully).
boots-hifi View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote boots-hifi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2019 at 11:59pm
At the end of the day mate it’s worth what ever you are willing to pay and the other guy will sell for. PL4.0s go for £500-600 in good nick, I have loads of them and that’s what I’d expect to pay. PL6.0 are quite rare, if it’s a pfc model all good otherwise I’d stay clear. Don’t try and run it from a 13a supply, it’s pointless as they pull even with the PFC allot of current and from doing quite a bit of reading this is why the psu fail. Chances are if it’s not been butchered and is still going then it’s a good one. I’d still expect to pay around a grand for a PL 9.0 so given that anything between £7-800 is about right. There very good on bass, fast and clean. If I could find more I’d buy them all up.
mattd View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2019 at 1:57pm
Just gone and had a look.

It is a PFC model with a fair bit of rack rash but generally OK.

levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2020 at 4:22pm
I've been offered PL6 non pfc as a trade in, but off a mate, who knows what he is doing, what do people think they are worth now?

Are there people here sellung/buying them.

I might sell it on, if people here are interested.
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
U.Viktor View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote U.Viktor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2020 at 5:30pm
Flawed electronic design makes QSC PL6-9 series unreliable in long-term and especially under quickly changing AC line conditions. Linear amplifiers went obsolete a decade ago, In case of service requirement you can not buy "linear output power devices" since no semiconductor manufacturer making them anymore! This is why all the large touring companies sold them out.
A good switching amplifier for example a K10 from Powersoft is a lot better idea (despite bit reduced sound quality..)

Edited by U.Viktor - 31 August 2020 at 5:31pm
Sonic the hedge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic the hedge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2020 at 7:37pm
Originally posted by U.Viktor U.Viktor wrote:

Flawed electronic design makes QSC PL6-9 series unreliable in long-term and especially under quickly changing AC line conditions.

Here in the UK we have a very solid well regulated power grid, if your equipment gets damaged by under voltage you can technically make a claim against the DNO (power distribution company) for cost of repairs/replacement. If you find bad mains in the UK, just report it to the DNO they will very quickly come to check it and fix any issues, because if it causes damage or a fire they will be liable.

So voltage stability is really not a problem unless you have really bad building wiring. But guess what, building wiring in public buildings is usually good too, because building insurers insist that it gets tested every 5 years by an approved electrician.

Edited by Sonic the hedge - 31 August 2020 at 7:58pm
U.Viktor View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote U.Viktor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2020 at 8:11am
Actually that QSC PL power supply have two problems, (1.) that sudden load (or line change) could make an imbalance of B-H curve of isolation transformer then may goes to saturation > sharp current rise could affect primary power switching MOSFETs. (2.) the power supply switching circuit is "hard-switched" and realized by MOSFETs which may not like fast reverse recovery currents due their slow body diodes + hazardous un-clamped D-S Voltage spikes..
Sonic the hedge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic the hedge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2020 at 9:18am
In that case maybe what's needed is a big lump of iron to smooth everything out Tongue
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2020 at 9:44am
Originally posted by Sonic the hedge Sonic the hedge wrote:

In that case maybe what's needed is a big lump of iron to smooth everything out Tongue

Yes - and a load of "linear output power devices" that "you can not buy", eg:-

https://es.rs-online.com/web/p/transistores-bipolares-y-bjt/5449646?cm_mmc=ES-PLA-DS3A-_-google-_-CSS_ES_ES_Fallback_Whoop-_-All+products-_-5449646&matchtype=&pla-293946777986&gclid=CjwKCAjw4rf6BRAvEiwAn2Q76potTMLl8abbEOrMNp3jEW-P0GEwOU4kCXOIT3uMBhz2CqS8b-Dy8RoCqdsQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Wacko Wacko Wacko

Edited by Earplug - 01 September 2020 at 9:46am
Earplugs Are For Wimps!
APW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2020 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by Earplug Earplug wrote:

Yes - and a load of "linear output power devices" that "you can not buy", eg:-

I think he is referring to the ixfh74n20 output devices, they are about an easy to get hold of as rocking horse sh!t….

…. Other hard to obtain device used in the PL6.0/ 9.0 amplifiers are still available however have delivery times of up-to about 6-9 months.

Edited by APW - 01 September 2020 at 12:56pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>