Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Q15 Compact 15" Bass bin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Wilkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Q15 Compact 15" Bass bin
    Posted: 15 September 2012 at 1:34pm
Simple Reflex, 50L nett, assisted alignment, Driver BMS 15S330

Thanks to Secrets of Sound for doing me a CNC flat-pack (TMAL on SP). They went together to this stage with nothing but a battery powered Screwdriver.

Edited by Tony Wilkes - 15 September 2012 at 1:40pm
www.forteaudio.eu - BMS - db-Mark Processors - Lexon (SAE)
Sheggy View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2012 at 1:52pm
Awesome and inspirational as usual! So what are the specs?

s
Tony Wilkes View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Wilkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2012 at 2:03pm
Originally posted by Sheggy Sheggy wrote:

Awesome and inspirational as usual! So what are the specs?

s

Cheers matey :)

With a typical B6 type EQ it should be pretty flat to around 40hz but then drops off very quick. Only a 600w driver with a 3" Voice-coil  but it still has a proper Xmax of 8mm so should be thumpy and have a nice upper bass-low-mid region.

I will be measuring the prototype later today or in the next couple of days at least and it will be interesting to see how it fares against the simms. If it performs as good as the Q12 with the calculated 6db more SPL I will be a very happy bunny.

Edited by Tony Wilkes - 16 September 2012 at 4:21pm
djeddie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djeddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2012 at 2:04pm
Tony, just for once, can you produce a really bad sounding and crap looking box please!

I can only concur with the above. Top work.
Chas n Dave : it's like Drum and Bass but with beards.             E=mc² ±3dB
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Wilkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2012 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by djeddie djeddie wrote:

Tony, just for once, can you produce a really bad sounding and crap looking box please!

I can only concur with the above. Top work.

Believe me I have built loads of crappy looking and sounding boxes, I shudder to think what my early DJ boxes would sound like if I could hear them today.

It was Rog that got me into carrying on with building boxes around 10 years ago when I built the Sub184's and the bug got me again.

For me it will always be a means to an end I just love to hear decent playback systems whether in the house, a pub or an Arena.

Tony

Edited by Tony Wilkes - 15 September 2012 at 2:15pm
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Wilkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2012 at 1:46pm
This is the driver :)

t.geessounds View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t.geessounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2012 at 3:01pm
i always ask this silly question but never get a real answer is port an the back make any different spl wise ??
port on the back vs port in the front...which one would be louder???
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Wilkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2012 at 3:05pm
Not a silly question but it has been answered loads of times.
Used on their own or as pairs then for all intents and purposes the bass coming out of the ports is omnidirectional, Note Fb=40hz

Tony
smoore View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2012 at 6:49pm

Hah! I saw some of these in the SOS workshop the other day before picking up some sheets of 18mm that Tim was sorting me out! Looked beautiful.

mykey- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2012 at 7:59am
Few mistakes in the wood work Tony? I see the baffle for the machined out 18'' is very close to the left edge panel, and there seems to be overhang top and bottom. Back edge as well?  
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Wilkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2012 at 8:50am
Originally posted by mykey- mykey- wrote:

Few mistakes in the wood work Tony? I see the baffle for the machined out 18'' is very close to the left edge panel, and there seems to be overhang top and bottom. Back edge as well?  

No mate they went together perfectly. What you are seeing is caused by there already being a radius
on the edges of the top and bottom pieces.

Do you really think that I would show pictures of bad workmanship? cmmon :)
jamwa View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamwa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2012 at 8:57am
oh Mykey, come and give us a cuddle........

Sound, Light, Projection, Display, Cameras and production support
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>