Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Q15 Compact 15" Bass bin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Wilkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2012 at 4:20pm
Originally posted by Thomas Hosker Thomas Hosker wrote:

Id be very interested in building some of these. Did SoS source the wood for you? Im assuming they sent you the flat pack? How much did the cab cost in the end? (if you dont mind me asking)

Regards,

Thomas

Thomas, yes SOS did the woodwork and a good job they did as well. I actually went for simple butt joints but Tim would prefer to supply them with proper rebates. 
Best if you contact Tim for a price.

I have just spent most of the day listening, aligning and measuring them and they do drop really low, once BP6 EQ is applied -10db is around 35hz !!! Driver nowhere near run-in so should only get better.

Tony

Edited by Tony Wilkes - 12 August 2013 at 9:12am
www.forteaudio.eu - BMS - db-Mark Processors - Lexon (SAE)
krazyneil View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krazyneil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2013 at 10:19am
these look very nice for a compact bass solution

is there a neo version of the driver you use in these tony?
GOD TOLD ME TO DO IT !!!!!
Tony Wilkes View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Wilkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2013 at 3:52pm
No mate it is optimised for the 15S330 however it is such a small box that even with this driver it is about the same mass as a typical 15" box with a Neo driver.

Tony
Jon Norwich View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon Norwich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2013 at 1:59pm

is the 15 plan available online?

I can't ask tony directly as I cannot PM from my account :(

Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Wilkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2013 at 2:37pm
Jon,
 Send me an Email to tony(@)forteaudio.eu

Tony
tomr_29 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomr_29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2013 at 9:53pm

Hi guys. I promised in another thread a week or so ago that I'd put up a review of Tony's Q15s since I recently had a pair built (thanks TMAL) and have now been using them for the last month or so with more bookings coming up in the next few weeks.

Initially I have to admit I was skeptical given how physically small these cabs are but Tony was kind enough to let me test one out to see if the design was what I was looking for and these things really do deliver! An easy one-man lift into the car and up stairs or for stacking I have had a few funny looks (especially from DJs) as these things aren't much bigger than the top cabs I use but once playing I've had a couple of people comment how surprised they are at the amount of bass coming out of such a small box.

A couple of weeks back Tony brought his pair down to a gig with a friend's band at a local pub and we ran two a side for the afternoon. The system had plenty of headroom left and bass was full and powerful a good 40ft back at the sound desk and when we turned up the bass towards the end the bassist (a fairly serious chap most of the time) couldn't hide his grin.

I'd describe the sound as full and deep but it still maintains plenty of kick-drum punch. I've used them so far for rock, dance and some chart music (wedding) and they've handled all of it with ease. With some house music the B6 EQ can be turned off and a bit more can be added around 80-100Hz to get a very fast punchy sound. I have also tried a tracks with very low bass like the Void 30Hz test track and, although it was audible, the response does tail off quite quickly below 40Hz as could be expected given the enclosure size and the processor settings. High pass at 41Hz Butterworth 12dB/oct with 8.7dB Parametric EQ at 41Hz (B6 alignment). Excursion seems to be well controlled and I've not had any issues running them one either side of a 1000W/ch into 8ohms amp.

Something people keep pointing out is the rear porting. So far I've not noticed any more sub behind the speakers than infront and that's with both indoor and outdoor gigs. As Tony has said elsewhere, these are designed to be used in small numbers and not huge stacks where the rear porting would cause problems.

If anyone has any questions then I'll keep an eye on this thread or you can PM me. Tony obviously knows more about the design but is often too modest about how good his designs actually are! Big thumbs up from me. Thumbs Up

And finally a couple of pictures:

Proper capitalisation is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
www.facebook.com/tremoracoustics
Timebomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timebomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2013 at 12:56am
Looks good Tony, how many litres are they externally? 
James Secker          facebook.com/soundgearuk
James@soundgear.co.uk               www.soundgear.co.uk
SamV View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2013 at 8:06am
What a lovely colour. They look my ickle bass cabs as seen here http://https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=492770737463409&set=pb.112570262150127.-2207520000.1378796562.&type=3&theater

Only mine are 12" JBL loaded and tuned to about the same.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Wilkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2013 at 8:26am
Originally posted by Timebomb Timebomb wrote:

Looks good Tony, how many litres are they externally? 

They are 430 x 430 x 500 O/A  so 92.5L

Tony
kevin tyler View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin tyler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2013 at 12:52pm
i am green with envy

well done

Smile
Tolhytz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tolhytz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2013 at 5:40pm
Hi Tony can i have a copy of the plans please? i e mailed you, I dont know if you got it.Many thanks.
malina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2013 at 2:58pm

Originally posted by Tolhytz Tolhytz wrote:

Hi Tony can i have a copy of the plans please? i e mailed you, I dont know if you got it.Many thanks.

Same here.

Maybe spam filter or something.

Malina Audio
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>