Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

QSC PL380 vs QSC PL9 vs Powersoft K20

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simonp1100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2020 at 5:26pm
Thumbs Up
citizensc View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizensc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2020 at 4:18am
Originally posted by levyte357- levyte357- wrote:

Originally posted by citizensc citizensc wrote:

Originally posted by taurusty taurusty wrote:

Have to disagree with last 3 comments. Used a QSC PL 380 vs a Powersoft K 10, and was totally dissatisfied with the 380. As Elliott said, this company now buys into the Behringer type wattage specs. and it shows.

As far as I am concerned, QSC has no real heritage in reliable very high power amplifiers, compared to crown, Lab Gruppen and Powersoft.

I have no experience with the K10 but a lot of what you are saying  about the pl380 is objectively wrong. The PL380 exceeds its specs, putting out over 2900 watts at 4 ohm @ 40hz before clip while stating 2500 in its spec sheet. https://www.abeltronics.co.uk/amptesting/amp-meet-three.php . The pl380 not some new amp that has a questionable reliability and power output. It has existed for more than 10 years, people have a lot of experience with it; it almost has a heritage of its own. This ignores the fact that the PL9.0, RMX5050 and mx3000a exist. 

I cant comment on your personal experience using it, but I guess sound is subjective. 

Recently went to amp/driver test, and one thing I learned, bench testing amps with purely resistive load, proves nothing.

It says nothing about tone and I am aware that amps like Powersoft X series don't perform well in to a resistive load but do when driving program in to a speaker, however, I cant imagine an amp that can push a sine wave with more power than its spec in to a resistive load would struggle with the greatly reduced crest factor of program material... Or is there something you know that I don't? 

Also would be interested to hear about some of the results the test, were there any unexpected winners or losers?
D_S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2021 at 2:19am
Originally posted by Elliot Thompson Elliot Thompson wrote:

Originally posted by ReubGold ReubGold wrote:

From what I've seen:

Powersoft K20 - Not warmest sound @ 2.66 ohm stereo, but plenty power, most reliable, decent power on 32A ring main
QSC PL9 - Most powerful when on Genny, most unreliable, fairly warm sound, often blows on 32A ring main
QSC PL380 - Ok reliability, warmest sound, ONLY really performs on Genny, or very strong mains spur.

Comment, opinions, thinking of trying Crown MA12000.

All QSC amplifiers sound the same. If the Powerlight 380 sounds "warmer" to you than the Powerlight 9.0, it usually stems from one amplifier running out of headroom faster than the other (which begins to clip). When this occurs, distortion (Not at all times a bad thing when you are aiming for a particular tone) is coming into play. 

The above is very common when comparing two amplifiers of the same brand offering unequal output power. The QSC Powerlight 9.0 is 9000 watts RMS whereas, the QSC Powerlight 380 is 8000 watts momentary (Burst) Peak.

Best Regards, 

Hi, does the PL380 sound like a RMX5050?
ropilas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ropilas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2022 at 3:37pm
Hi,

Any body knows where to buy control board for QSC PL9.0?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123